Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline obxbill  
#1 Posted : 27 December 2013 17:52:39(UTC)
obxbill

United States   
I've just started a 2-rail WWII layout and I'm trying to find any railroad pics from that timeframe. Does anyone know of any websites on the subject?

Thanks!
Bill
Marklin HO and Z also Hornby 00 and US 2-rail
Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 27 December 2013 18:07:48(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Have you try Google serach?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 27 December 2013 18:24:54(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
There are a number of photos that can be found in assorted books about the war.
As Steven suggested, why don't you google "reichsbahn im krieg"
Here's one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/D...g-National/dp/3344708120

Once you are done building your layout, let me know your address and I will be pleased to fly over it with my 1/87 scale fully loaded Lancasters, B-17s and such

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline TheFatTick  
#4 Posted : 27 December 2013 18:45:01(UTC)
TheFatTick

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
There are a number of photos that can be found in assorted books about the war.
As Steven suggested, why don't you google "reichsbahn im krieg"
Here's one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/D...g-National/dp/3344708120

Once you are done building your layout, let me know your address and I will be pleased to fly over it with my 1/87 scale fully loaded Lancasters, B-17s and such

Regards

Mike C

BigGrin
Offline obxbill  
#5 Posted : 27 December 2013 20:10:39(UTC)
obxbill

United States   
Thanks for the info! I tried a couple google searches but maybe I didn't ask it correctly. And Mike C, I'll keep you posted and will have a Focke Wulf reception waiting for ya! LOL LOL

Bill
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 27 December 2013 20:43:23(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
No problem. I'll just place an order for a few squadrons of P-51s and if needed, I can always transfer a B-29 from the Pacific theatre.
I can also throw in a couple of boxes of Preiser Maquis to liven things up

Regards

Mike C
Offline Dreadnought  
#7 Posted : 28 December 2013 05:18:47(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
If attacking trains, a typhoon might work. My father flew one over Holland, strafing trained and ships until he was shot down. For my part I would just admire a good Marklin layout.
Offline NS1200  
#8 Posted : 28 December 2013 16:20:56(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: obxbill Go to Quoted Post
I've just started a 2-rail WWII layout and I'm trying to find any railroad pics from that timeframe. Does anyone know of any websites on the subject?

Thanks!
Bill

Bill,

Try www.reichsbahn.nl .
In Dutch only.
On the left hand side some options to explore.
They have a modelrailway based on the 1940-45 period.

On the allied side,i once saw a fantastic layout situated in an English harbour portraying the loading preparations for D-day.
Need to find that again.

I am not entirely sure what would be your favorite scene from this dark period in history.

Paul.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline NS1200  
#9 Posted : 28 December 2013 16:33:47(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post
If attacking trains, a typhoon might work. My father flew one over Holland, strafing trained and ships until he was shot down. For my part I would just admire a good Marklin layout.

Strafing was effective for the attackers but no fun for the receiving end.
Most traindrivers were Dutch and being forced to work for Nazi Germany.
It was either working or having no food at home,or being shot for that matter.
As such,their employer NS told them to carry out their duties,despite of the apparent danger.
There is yet another angle:these trains were also carrying food and coal to the western part of Holland,much needed in wintertime.
In September 1944,after the liberation of Antwerp,the Dutch government in London declared a total railwaystrike in Holland,anticipating that Holland would be liberated in a matter of weeks.
Not so,because of this dramatic decision,people in the Amsterdam/Rotterdam/The Hague area were having to face a severe winter 44/45 without proper food or heating.
So,as always in war,there were two sides of the coin.
And,as you say,i would also prefer a non-military layout.

Paul.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline glight1  
#10 Posted : 28 December 2013 17:00:19(UTC)
glight1

United States   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post

Strafing was effective for the attackers but no fun for the receiving end.
Most traindrivers were Dutch and being forced to work for Nazi Germany.
It was either working or having no food at home,or being shot for that matter.
As such,their employer NS told them to carry out their duties,despite of the apparent danger.
There is yet another angle:these trains were also carrying food and coal to the western part of Holland,much needed in wintertime.
In September 1944,after the liberation of Antwerp,the Dutch government in London declared a total railwaystrike in Holland,anticipating that Holland would be liberated in a matter of weeks.
Not so,because of this dramatic decision,people in the Amsterdam/Rotterdam/The Hague area were having to face a severe winter 44/45 without proper food or heating.
So,as always in war,there were two sides of the coin.
And,as you say,i would also prefer a non-military layout.

Paul.

I would imagine that most German Engineers, firemen and other rail personnel also felt the same. The alternatives most likely included being drafted into the Wehrmacht and serving on the Eastern front, or worse. As interesting as the WWII time period is, I choose not to have any military included in my little layout.

Gary
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by glight1
Offline kbvrod  
#11 Posted : 28 December 2013 17:05:04(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
If someone wants to have a WW 2 theme layout(s)that is their choice,...Cursing

Did we forget Roco MiniTanks?M metal? Or the thousands who build/collect military models?Blink

Edited by moderator 29 December 2013 05:25:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline glight1  
#12 Posted : 28 December 2013 20:19:02(UTC)
glight1

United States   
Here are some images from google that I found. Not sure whether you were interested in visuals or written documentation.

https://www.google.com/s...amp;biw=1383&bih=960

As usual, google throws in some things that are not WWII.

Gary
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by glight1
Offline Webmaster  
#13 Posted : 28 December 2013 22:05:03(UTC)
Webmaster

If you are interested in the "daily life" of the Reichsbahn with real photos of how it could be, there is a book "Die Deutsche Reichsbahn im Zweiter Weltkrieg" with pictures of everyday life of those involved.

I have this book, and it has many photos - but mainly not of train compositions and such, but rather the life with the trains during WW2...

ISBN 3-344-70812-0
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline obxbill  
#14 Posted : 29 December 2013 00:54:28(UTC)
obxbill

United States   
I wish to thank everyone for there help with info. I did in fact find an Era II layout from the Netherlands on youtube that is of great help to me. I do realize this was a dark time in our world history but even in times of war, daily life goes on and this is primarily what I am interested in. Webmaster, you may delete this thread if you like. It is afterall not about Marklin or even 3-rail. My apologies for creating an unpleasant situation.

Bill
Offline nevw  
#15 Posted : 29 December 2013 01:57:47(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Please do not mention the war. Any war.Crying LOL Love Mad Cursing RollEyes Woot Unsure

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 29 December 2013 04:40:12(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I was rather displeased when I first saw this thread. You can see by my reply that I provided some information, but also made my opinion of the project very clear. The person replied to my comment and I replied that I would counter his response and suggested that it could be taken even higher.
The Reichsbahn did provide transportation of civilians and civilian goods during the war, in Germany and throughout Europe. Unfortunately, it will always be remembered for it's role in the occupation and plundering of occupied territories and especially for it's role in the deportation and extermination of unerwuenschte in following the final solution.
I cannot and will not stand by any glorification of this role and it amazes me that people want to model this period of time rather than the role of the DB in the reconstruction period after the war.
There were some technical achievements during the prewar Nazi period, but since these were tainted by the events that occurred thereafter, it has to be kept in mind that people may be upset by other's modelling or even discussing this period.

It is not a question of the victors imposing their beliefs on the vanquished, but out of respect and in common decency for those who were killed, displaced or otherwise affected by the actions of the wartime regime and the railroad that aided and abetted those actions.

Respectfully yours,

Mike C
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#17 Posted : 29 December 2013 05:27:55(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Topic cleaned up and is now Locked.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz