Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jeehring  
#101 Posted : 23 December 2013 11:25:21(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
...(...)...
The majority is happy with the new motors. ...(...)...

are you sure ?
How do you know that ?
Only sales figures will tell.....
I think - MHO only - that they could loose sales of steamer models.
Anyway : Diesels & electrics give them a better margin....
Initially I wanted to buy the next Insider model : I'll change my mind. Just because I have better to do, there are plenty of good C-Sinus/SDS models on the market....I also prefer the good old 5 poles DCM motor...
Offline TimR  
#102 Posted : 23 December 2013 11:47:37(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Many folks on Stummi's Forum report that the Märklin three-pole motors work fine with ESU decoders (but were not acceptable with the factory-installed Märklin decoders).

All HAG locos have three-pole motors - and those are dang expensive motors of high quality.

There are good three-pole motors, there are cheap five-pole motors. And it's the combination of motor and decoder that counts.

Piko uses three-pole motors - but locos come at a reasonable price and the combination of motor and decoder works good enough for me.

Good points...

Generally using a 3-pole motor is not the issue, if a few of conditions are fulfilled....

Firstly, the loco has to perform well, obviously....

Its pulling power, smoothness, and quietness has to meet what is expected of the brand and/or what is expected to be competitive in today's MRR modern standard,

AND...
Manufacturer has to be honest about what motor / decoder combination it's using, and not bombard customers with various dramatic & opulent jargons to try to misled the fact..

Now collecting C-Sine models.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TimR
Offline jeehring  
#103 Posted : 23 December 2013 14:01:21(UTC)
jeehring

one of my biggest concern about this 3 pôles motor is their reliability & service life.
3 pôles motors generally have to work faster than 5 pôles motor for a given torque/power/size , etc... Means more REV per minute. More R.P.M......
I.E. when a 5 pôles motor work at 10000 R.P.M. , a 3 pôles motor could work at 15000 R.P.M.....
These 3 poles motors wear out faster. I would have liked them to be fitted with 2 ball bearings.
However it seems that they have one simple metal bearing....but I'm not sure. (Also : why only 1 metal bearing instead of 2 ? )
Offline jeehring  
#104 Posted : 23 December 2013 14:25:14(UTC)
jeehring

Installing single-time motors and announcing "MARKLIN - SIMPLY THE STRONGEST ".....
Don't they feel ashamed ?
LOL

Click here :

http://www.euromodeltrai...n/images/large/37455.jpg
Offline TimR  
#105 Posted : 23 December 2013 17:03:06(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
Installing single-time motors and announcing "MARKLIN - SIMPLY THE STRONGEST ".....
Don't they feel ashamed ?
LOL

Three-pole-motor-powered BR45.... simply the strongest... BigGrin

... well, in the good old days, at least they could have boosted that the motor was Swiss-made (Maxxon)...

nowadays, it's probably one of those .50 cents Chung-Kuo-made can motor that they buy in bulk... (to get an even deeper discount)
Offline H0  
#106 Posted : 23 December 2013 17:25:10(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Come on guys, give me something concrete to compare.
I started a new thread to show some figures:
https://www.marklin-user...ontinued.aspx#post435436
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mjrallare  
#107 Posted : 26 December 2013 11:52:34(UTC)
mjrallare

Why has this thread not been merged with the "3 pole motors" thread? The same information is appearing in both!

Talk about repetition!

I really can't say Ray. Maybe the moderators think it's important enough to deserve multiple threads?

By the way, FYI I started this thread 2013-10-05.

/Torbjörn
Offline jeehring  
#108 Posted : 26 December 2013 14:49:36(UTC)
jeehring

Does the new BR 03 also equipped with 3 pôles motor ?
What about the Insider BR 58 (G 10) ?
What about the MHI BR 03.10 which was originally with ATHLONIX... did they change its motor too ? Confused Angry
I only have seen those models in static position...
Perhaps we should start a list of "which models are fitted with 3 pôles motors"....may be ?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline TimR  
#109 Posted : 26 December 2013 15:54:28(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post

Perhaps we should start a list of "which models are fitted with 3 pôles motors"....may be ?

That's a good idea...

So we'll know which model we should avoid like plague...

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TimR
Offline RayF  
#110 Posted : 26 December 2013 16:20:54(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I've never seen a thread more laced with poison than this one. I have some of these new motors, and they are FINE! If you don't like them, that's OK, but don't make them out to be the worst thing in the world. They are much better than the old three pole Marklin motors, such as the LFCM, SFCM etc, and a lot quieter than the 5 pole DCM.

Honestly, we have a bunch of moaners here!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline baggio  
#111 Posted : 26 December 2013 16:50:49(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hello, Everybody:

While running from one panettone to another Christmas delicacy, I, too, became concerned about motors in locos. This was a result of receiving a Hornby Collectors Club loco. The instructions that came with it set out that most Hornby locos (and therefore not my model necessarily or only) come with motors that need to be replaced after 150 hours of usage. THAT concerned me.

In another Marklin forum I asked how long Marklin motors lasted and generally the consensus was that the Marklin motors should last substantially longer than 150 hours.

Now I read hear that "can motors" are much like the Hornby motors. The real question is: do these can motors also run for only about 150 hours? If so, that is a concern. Finding a replacement motor may prove difficult, plus the cost of the motor itself and (for me at least) the cost of the installation. The result would be that in many, if not most, cases it would be uneconomical to replace the motor. Marklin charges $25.00 Cad for one pantograph, a motor would be obviously substantially more.

Is there anywhere a list of which locos have these can motors AND how long they are expected to last?

So far, I have only bought Marklin My World locos and, as a result, I think these can motors would be installed in Marklin's more economical line.

So are can motors good, bad o in-between?
Offline RayF  
#112 Posted : 26 December 2013 17:05:40(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
There are many different can motors out there. Some are good and some are not so good. Most applications that use small electric motors now use some form of can motor.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline baggio  
#113 Posted : 26 December 2013 17:15:59(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
So, how does one know if a can motor is installed and if so it's a not-so-good one?

Or, more specifically: Is the Hornby 150 hour usage time something one has to resign himself to in the future even for Marklin locos?
Offline RayF  
#114 Posted : 26 December 2013 17:53:31(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Marklin uses several different types of can motor. Some are better quality than others.

The only way to tell if there is a can motor in a particular loco is from the exploded diagram, which you can find in the Marklin database. The spare parts list will also give you a price for the motor. I would say a 20 euro motor is not as good as a 100 euro motor (but cheaper to replace!)

I can't speak for Hornby, but I doubt that we would have the same low life expectancy for a Marklin motor.

I guess this begs the question, how many hours do we run our locos? My locos get run for about 10 minutes a day for each loco that's on the layout, for about 3 or 4 days, then they are rotated with other locos in my collection. The same loco might not return to the layout for six months or so. On this basis my locos each run for about 2 - 3 hours a year maximum, so I'll have to change the motor in 50 years time if I get one of these 150 hour motors! BigGrin

If you run a continuous service 24 hours a day you might run into problems!
Ray
Offline jeehring  
#115 Posted : 26 December 2013 18:12:35(UTC)
jeehring

New models are not so easy to open, that's the problem.
I do remember all former Marklin Models : just one screw, may be two....that's all !
Offline baggio  
#116 Posted : 26 December 2013 18:18:17(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Ray, if your locos hibernate for six months at a time, do you not have problems with them starting at low speed and have to gently push them?
Offline kbvrod  
#117 Posted : 26 December 2013 18:18:23(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,

>I guess this begs the question, how many hours do we run our locos? <

Never enough!Cursing LOL

>If you run a continuous service 24 hours a day you might run into problems!<

Maybe we should ask Wonderland?Flapper That reminds me of the 'break in' period of my old M loks,....(37XXX series),10min forward,10min backward,20(repeat),40min,etc,etc,......ran better and better,I *think* it was wearing in the brushesConfused

Well,I think that paying good hard earned $$$ for a lok,no matter who makes them,they should perform not just run.Like I said before I have a few Flieschmann dampfloks with the OLD ring motor(3-pole w/decoder) in the tender that run very,very well.

Dirt
Offline RayF  
#118 Posted : 26 December 2013 19:14:13(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Ray, if your locos hibernate for six months at a time, do you not have problems with them starting at low speed and have to gently push them?

This is not usually a problem I come across with my locos.

Sometimes they need to have the wheels and/or axles cleaned because of contact problems when I haven't run them for a while. Running them at high speed for a few minutes usually clears that up, but I might have to put a drop of oil on the axles if contact problems persist.

Some of my locos with early non-regulated decoders sometimes run slower at first, and then start going faster and faster as the old oil softens.

Usually, though, I take them out, put them on the track, register them on the MS2, and off they go.
Ray
Offline RayF  
#119 Posted : 26 December 2013 19:21:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Kevin, the breaking in or running in period is very important in my opinion, for any mechanical device.

I run my new locos for 15-20 minutes in each direction at about medium speed when I first put them on the layout. I then put a drop of oil on the recommended points.

Places like MiWiLa which runs locos in exhibition conditions for many hours at a time usually have an intensive maintenance program with regular changes of brushes etc. The locos are usually rotated through the workshops at scheduled intervals to keep them working at their best.
Ray
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kbvrod  
#120 Posted : 26 December 2013 20:04:07(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Ray,all,

>Kevin, the breaking in or running in period is very important in my opinion, for any mechanical device.<

Tanks,airplanes and autos come to mind,....Cool

>I run my new locos for 15-20 minutes in each direction at about medium speed when I first put them on the layout. I then put a drop of oil on the recommended points.<

First,I run them out of the box to see/hear how they run.Then oil (not M!) and grease IF needed.

>Places like MiWiLa which runs locos in exhibition conditions for many hours at a time usually have an intensive maintenance program with regular changes of brushes etc. The locos are usually rotated through the workshops at scheduled intervals to keep them working at their best.<

Good advise for all!

D
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline kimballthurlow  
#121 Posted : 26 December 2013 21:52:33(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

I have had very few problems with Marklin engines I have purchased new since 2005, with a couple of 2nd hand ones built since 1990.

My train hobby does not involve questioning Marklins' manufacturing methods or materials.
I am happy for them to use whatever strategies they choose, to stay viable.

In the case of a problem, I simply pack the engine off to Marklin.
If the loco is under warranty, it costs me postage only.
If not under warranty, I have never got a bill more than about 60 Euros.

I have 2 rail models with 3 pole can motors, 5 pole can motors, open-frame 3 pole Pittman motors, Dublo 3 pole ball-bearing motors - they all work fine except for the occasional tweak.
All my Marklin engines work well too.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline H0  
#122 Posted : 26 December 2013 22:27:38(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
All my Marklin engines work well too.
Most, but not all my Märklin engines work well. It seems this is mainly a problem of the new mfx decoders.

The problem engines are from 2009 and later.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Janne75  
#123 Posted : 26 December 2013 22:40:24(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

I run my locos very seldom at very high speeds as their prototype speeds are not as high as the Märklin models speeds at 1:87 scale. If the decoder has adjustable maximum speed with a pot or by programming it I usually adjust the maximum speed to lower setting.

I have only some locomotives where there is maximum speed setting at max setting. These are BR E 103 as it's prototype is fast (250+ km/h) and 39190 E 19 as it does not go even with this max speed setting fast enough for some strange reason. When I bought my newest BR 86 (37860-2) I just programmed it's top speed to much lower setting than the possible max setting. It would have so much mechanical noise from it's gears and 5-pole DCM motor with max speed setting 100% than I could not then hear it's steam loco sounds etc.

This way I kind of run-in my locos all the time. I would not have the time and patience to run-in all of my locos for say 2-4 hours. But when there has been some used second hand locos with jammed "verhartz" gears I have opened their motors and put lighter oil to gears and cleaned them + re-oiled. Some of them have needed after this kind of "fixing" more "running in time" to loosen up the gears to rotate more freely. When this has happened I have run them for hours at different speeds and directions. Usually after this they are ok, but if not I have opened their motors again and repeated this procedure. Especially with steam locos it is important to double check that there is no mechanical problem, for example a wheel rotated from it's axle and jamming the linkage or something similar.

I think that the only locomotives which I have with can motors must be the BR 81 from starter set 29539, Thomas 36120 LOL , 3425 Kittel (motor or decoder dead!) and BR 216 from starter set 29710 (if it have not a "normal" DCM motor). I'm a big fan of the classic C-Sinus motor, SDS motors, Faulhaber motors and I don't have anything bad to say for 5-pole DCM motors except the noise level.

Best regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline baggio  
#124 Posted : 28 December 2013 02:52:29(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I was given in another forum a link to a place that sells cam motors. Here it is:

Offline baggio  
#125 Posted : 28 December 2013 02:54:10(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline lgbjohann  
#126 Posted : 28 December 2013 04:14:34(UTC)
lgbjohann

United States   
When a vehicle of mine needed service not too long ago, I lamented , to my neighbor (who picked me up at the service center) that things should last a reasonably long time.

His comment was:"Whatever man makes , breaks" .

While I would love to have our beloved trains, no matter the make, last forever, the simple fact is, they will fail us at some time. It is lucky enough for us that we can enjoy them. I am thankful for that.BigGrin
John
Offline baggio  
#127 Posted : 28 December 2013 05:11:52(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
John said "things should last a reasonably long time."

I think the key here how long is "a reasonably long time"?

Hornby says most of its locos last 150 hours and then you have to replace the motor. Is THAT a "reasonably long time?"

I don't think so.

For me a motor should be expected to run on average 1000 hours. If that means that such a motor would make the loco more expensive, so be it. The idea of having to throw away a loco after it has been used for for one or two years (two hours per week) seems unreasonable.

If nothing else, the consumer should be given the choice of what motor to put in. Let's not forget that the motor is only a small component of the overall cost of getting a loco on our individual layout.

Hopefully the Marklin locos, even the Marklin My World, will last longer than 150 hours.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline river6109  
#128 Posted : 28 December 2013 05:53:34(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I test run my loco at high speed on a test track. I than listen to the pitch the motor makes and if the motor keeps its speed forward and backwards.
One can not measure the pitch but at least you can hear the tone. my 5 pole DCM are all overhauled or reconditioned and this means, a.) ball bearings on both sides, b.) the brush holder is glued down, c.) the brush holder is lined up with the opposite brush holder, d.) make sure both tension springs are on the same level, e.) when tightening the brush plate by moving it sideways or up and down slightly see if the motor smoothness improves. f.) make sure the cogwheels are clean and slightly oiled, g.) make sure the motor is turning freely without the brushes by placing your palm under the driving wheels.
You will find older moulds with 3 pole motors have a discrepancy and the newer 5 pole high efficiency motors do not allow any tolerances, it could be your drive bogy is slightly uneven when placing the perm. magnet against the drive bogy or it may not line up properly.
these are or could be rare instances but they do happen, hence noisy motors , erratic driving characteristics, with other words Märklin has never bothered to rectify or modify these motors including the brush plate itself, in meantime however decoders sometimes have dampened the effects of a rough running motor.
the brush shaft assembly is so rough and loosely designed, sometimes it doesn't sit properly in its provided groove, the shaft itself is sometimes not bend to the specifications of the brushes (hasn't been pressed or formed to a true 90° angle), the brush shaft itself is sometimes hanging in the air when the pressing machine secures the bruhs shaft assembly onto the brush plate and here we have the same scenario the shaft is not at an 90° angle in relation to the armature shaft.

although the principal design of the motor hasn't changed except the 5 pole armature and the permanent magnet and the help of a load regulated decoder the outdated or updated motor never got a proper overhaul.

You can see the different factors I have described and this hasn't included the cogwheels, to a certain extend also effects the performance of the motor or its noise level.

there are most probably a lot of forum members who don't need a performing motor or the noise level doesn't bother them or indeed are concerned or bothered about the inner workings of a motor, so long the loco goes from A to B

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#129 Posted : 28 December 2013 09:20:36(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: mjrallare Go to Quoted Post
Why has this thread not been merged with the "3 pole motors" thread?........

I really can't say Ray. Maybe the moderators think it's important enough to deserve multiple threads?.........

It's because I'm only just starting to read this thread........(and obviously the others haven't either...!)
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#130 Posted : 28 December 2013 09:29:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
And now I've merged them. Torbjörn is still the first poster.
Offline H0  
#131 Posted : 28 December 2013 09:39:29(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
And now I've merged them. Torbjörn is still the first poster.
The old thread was in the H0 scale forum (where it belongs IMHO), now it's in General MRR.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#132 Posted : 28 December 2013 09:45:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
That's because the other thread is/was in General MRR - you never know Z Gauge, N Gauge and 1 Gauge locos could also have 3 pole motors (heaven forbid!).
Offline Goofy  
#133 Posted : 28 December 2013 09:57:39(UTC)
Goofy

That's because the other thread is/was in General MRR - you never know Z Gauge, N Gauge and 1 Gauge locos could also have 3 pole motors (heaven forbid!).

Good Point here!!
There must been good reason why Marklin did choised by put 3 pole motors in some new models.
Hopefully it´s perhaps short period by do this.
What Marklin should have done,is to report to the customer by telling what kind of motor there is now in the new models.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#134 Posted : 28 December 2013 10:00:14(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: lgbjohann Go to Quoted Post
While I would love to have our beloved trains, no matter the make, last forever, the simple fact is, they will fail us at some time.
I was just writing a long response to that statement as an "Access denied" appeared on the screen and my long text was lost ...

The short version: we decide what we buy with our money.
What do you with worn brushes? On an old Märklin motor you replace the brushes. With the new locos you unsolder the motor and replace the motor.
How do you clean the collector? With an old Märklin motor you unscrew the brushplate and clean the motor. With the new locos you unsolder the motor and replace the motor.

Nothing lasts forever.
I do buy locos with maintenance-free can motors, but I favour maintenance-friendly motors that allow to replace worn brushes easily.

I boycott locos that operate badly or are overpriced. It's a lucky coincidence that many of the locos with maintenance-free throw-away-after-100-odd-hours can motors run badly or are not worth the RRP.

I'm surprised that Hornby plainly tell that the motors can only be expected to last 150 yours. I've never seen such figures from Märklin - and I don't think we'll see such figures unless legally required.

On Stummi's Forum you can read that many motors of the BR 94.5 have already failed (only hearsay, I didn't get that loco). It seems there was a problem with overgreasing at the factory (see "How do you clean the collector" above).

Märklin now use the description "controlled high-efficiency propulsion" for all motors (5-pole and 3-pole) to prevent us from boycotting 3-pole motors.
Fine by me, I save a lot of money this way. No orders until I know which motor is installed.

Some locos that were announced with two powered axles in the 2013 new items brochure finally came with four powered axles. So you cannot even rely on that new items brochure, thus no more pre-orders for powered rolling stock from Märklin. Sorry, Märklin - no pre-orders from me without sufficient and reliable information about the motors a model will have.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
User is suspended until 23/03/4752 12:54:35(UTC) Mulldog Lemon  
#135 Posted : 28 December 2013 10:04:42(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
Compare the difference (or otherwise) between the 'controlled high efficiency' symbol showing on most models in the Marklin database with the '5-pole' symbol.
Until this discussion, I had assumed that the digital-and-5-star device represented 5-pole. It actually represents a concept, rather than something tangible.

But yes, it would be nice to know exactly what we're paying for.

Edited by user 19 April 2014 01:49:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Mulldog Lemon
Offline jeehring  
#136 Posted : 28 December 2013 13:43:44(UTC)
jeehring

One of the main reasonS why I did choose Marklin is their reliability : a Marklin Lok could last forever (almost forever).
a MARKLIN loK always was a sturdy item . By comparison with other manufacturers, most Marklin items were designed to be robust, strong & sturdy first & foremost . They had the reputation to be very "technical" items as well.This was most important part of Marklin's identity.
Today they are in the same way as other manufacturers : kind of disposable detailled replicas to discard after use, cheaper manufacturing. No more "technical". *****
As for having a technical image & about nice technical motorized items: if they don't react soon they'll give way to ESU who is now producing metal Locomotive models and because of image who will benefit from it also for their digital station that is Although not so efficient than Marklin CS2.

***** each time Marklin have tended to to do like other manufacturers, loosing his identity Marklin went into troubles.....
Offline biedmatt  
#137 Posted : 28 December 2013 14:19:41(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
How do you clean the collector?

Fill a coffee cup with an electric parts cleaning fluid, like CRC Lectra-Motive, remove can motor from loko, apply about 8VDC to the motor and dip in the fluid for a few minutes. We do this often with motors in slot cars. It brings them back to life.

Be sure to oil the motor shaft afterward because that too will be flushed away.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/p...Xwtu2A07sCFcQDOgodXjUABw
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline kbvrod  
#138 Posted : 28 December 2013 14:23:01(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
How do you clean the collector?

Fill a coffee cup with an electric parts cleaning fluid, like CRC Lectra-Motive, remove can motor from loko, apply about 8VDC to the motor and dip in the fluid for a few minutes. We do this often with motors in slot cars. It brings them back to life.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/p...Xwtu2A07sCFcQDOgodXjUABw

ThumpUp ThumpUp
Offline biedmatt  
#139 Posted : 28 December 2013 14:51:39(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I have a couple simple problems with the can motors. Marklin has many different part numbers for these can motors which we have all agreed are disposable. How long will they support and make a motor available? Will it go obsolete and then I am stuck trying to find a replacement? If they are moving toward can motors, why can't they settle on a single motor (or two at most since one may not work in all applications) so they can be supported long term? The other issue is three/five pole. The simple truth is these can motors are dirt cheap when ordered in quantity. One of the slot boys here in Cincy will order 1000 motors from a Chinese manufacturer. At quantities like that they can be had for a couple dollars. They will even make to his specification. So why not spec a five pole motor? Marklin are the folks who told us of the greatness of a five pole motor. I remember quite well the hoopla when the 3511 loko was introduced. Was it all a load of crap? The quantities Marklin needs are significant. They could get the motor they want in the quantities they need very cheap and then their reputation will not take a hit. Their customers are very savy and the internet makes it impossible to hide changes in motor quality. All your secrets can be laid bare instantly for the whole world to see. Why be a damn fool for a few dollars? This takes us back to that management question I brought up in another thread. Are the same fools who broke the company twice before still making these decisions? Is history and the lessons it will teach something they choose to ignore?

I have nothing against a can motor in general, they are very good and perfect for this application. I just dislike the slip shod way Marklin has chosen to bring them to market. Especially the way they try to bamboozle us with fancy buzz words and cryptic icons describing what is "inside the tin".

Edit: Why do they not tell us their long term intentions? How a loko runs is a critical part of it's quality. This thread demonstrates how seriously we care about those running characteristics. Are you willing to sit on the sideline and let your reputation get blackened without even giving your insight?
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline H0  
#140 Posted : 28 December 2013 15:59:41(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Fill a coffee cup with an electric parts cleaning fluid, like CRC Lectra-Motive, remove can motor from loko, apply about 8VDC to the motor and dip in the fluid for a few minutes.
I once did that (but without current) with a motor from a Liliput loco that was overoiled at the factory.
It was a five-pole motor and I could remove it without soldering. The motor had openings and I could reach the collector with a toothpick.

I'm not sure if this will work equally well with the current Märklin motors as the cans appear to be rather closed. Liquids will get in, but maybe you won't get the dust out and you cannot reach the gaps between the collector contacts.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Janne75  
#141 Posted : 28 December 2013 16:37:17(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

This is a very interesting thread. I can uderstand that Märklin don't use too expensive C-Sinus and SDS motors or Faulhaber motors anymore. But for their more expensive models they really should.

It's hard to say what kind of can motors they use in their premium models vs. cheaper models if the motors part numbers don't match. We should maybe start to investigate which can motor part numbers are used in which locos? If locomotive costs 400 euro for customers then it costs much less for Märklin. But motor should not cost 1-2 euro and they should put in those high-end locos quality can motors.

I just got an idea: If someone is willing to test if the Märklin can motors will work ok after 150 hours or not it would be great. I can maybe do some endurance testing with my 29539 starter set BR 81 with can motor. This locomotive has been running only for 2 hours at maximum now so we can see if it works after, say 7 days continously running (poor BR 81! BigGrin ).

So the test will start soon, say at 6 PM Finish time (after 25 minutes) and it will stop at next Saturday 6 PM 4th January 2014 . Happy New Year 2014 to my BR 81 if it lasts so long LOL . It will run on 16,25 meter long outer mainline, but not at maximum speed as we have to sleep in our bedroom next to the train room. For the same reason without any rolling stock as the loco itself is very silent. Only slider (pick up shoe) noise and usual wheels and track sound.

Cheers,
Janne

Edited by user 28 December 2013 21:05:34(UTC)  | Reason: Corrected the outer mainline lenght to 16,25 meters

Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline kbvrod  
#142 Posted : 28 December 2013 16:52:28(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
I did something like the above,only with a Z-scale BR E-03,took it apart and soaked the motor in plain vinegar,used a hairdryer and airbrush to help dry it.Then a lube/grease,reassembled and that old 3-pole runs better than the 'new' 5-pole BR 74!!!!BigGrin

D
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline Janne75  
#143 Posted : 28 December 2013 17:00:45(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi again,

Before the endurance test for my BR 81 (29539) with can motor will start I took time how long it takes to run around the outer mainline. It takes 1 minute and 10 seconds, so we can see how long distance it goes too.

Edit: Around 16,25 meter per mainline round. I just run it with track cleaning car to be sure track is ok. Test without track cleaning car.

Test will start soon... Now!

Cheers,
Janne
Offline H0  
#144 Posted : 28 December 2013 17:00:45(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
I can understand that Märklin don't use too expensive C-Sinus and SDS motors or Faulhaber motors anymore.
The used "5-pole skewed can motor with a flywheel, centrally mounted" for quite a few models and I cannot understand why they didn't make this the standard motor for the premium products. Instead they introduced a new standard motor.
And when they used motors of the Faulhaber type they proudly announced that in the catalogues.
I can not understand why they gave up Faulhaber type motors and 5-pole skewed can motor.

"Don't you ever, don't you ever
"Lower yourself, forgetting all your standards"

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline jeehring  
#145 Posted : 28 December 2013 17:07:34(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

This is a very interesting thread. I can uderstand that Märklin don't use too expensive C-Sinus and SDS motors or Faulhaber motors anymore. But for their more expensive models they really should.

It's hard to say what kind of can motors they use in their premium models vs. cheaper models if the motors part numbers don't match. We should maybe start to investigate which can motor part numbers are used in which locos? If locomotive costs 400 euro for customers then it costs much less for Märklin. But motor should not cost 1-2 euro and they should put in those high-end locos quality can motors.

I just got an idea: If someone is willing to test if the Märklin can motors will work ok after 150 hours or not it would be great. I can maybe do some endurance testing with my 29539 starter set BR 81 with can motor. This locomotive has been running only for 2 hours at maximum now so we can see if it works after, say 7 days continously running (poor BR 81! BigGrin ).

So the test will start soon, say at 6 PM Finish time (after 25 minutes) and it will stop at next Saturday 6 PM 4th January 2014 . Happy New Year 2014 to my BR 81 if it lasts so long LOL . It will run on around 17-18 meter long mainline, but not at maximum speed as we have to sleep in our bedroom next to the train room. For the same reason without any rolling stock as the loco itself is very silent. Only slider (pick up shoe) noise and usual wheels and track sound.

Cheers,
Janne

that's very kind of you !
may be you can roll it on day time only ?
Don't forget the specified maintenance : lube & grease every XX hours ?

Offline H0  
#146 Posted : 28 December 2013 17:16:47(UTC)
H0

A few days ago I read a German post about the Z scale motors.

In the beginning there were three-pole motors made in Germany. The cogging torque was high and the motors needed a high voltage to get going and they were not running smoothly.

Then came five-pole motors made in Germany. The cogging torque was much lower and locos ran much better. Motor runs significantly better.
The introduction of the new motor was not advertised to get unbiased customer feedback.

Then came five-pole motors made in Far East. They now had skewed armatures and theoretically they should run better - and some did. But the quality of the gears suddenly was low and some locos ran smooth while other locos ran jerky. Some were even worse than the old three-pole motors.

Source (German site):
http://w.z-freunde-inter...dex.php?title=Motortypen

Maybe three-pole motors for Z gauge will be back as soon as they introduce digital Z scale locos.

Now back to H0 gauge: low production quality and huge variation between exemplars of the same model are not unknown here. And Märklin has closed the circle from three-pole via five-pole and nine-pole (SDS) back to five-pole and three-pole ...
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline kbvrod  
#147 Posted : 28 December 2013 17:52:52(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Tom,all,

>In the beginning there were three-pole motors made in Germany. The cogging torque was high and the motors needed a high voltage to get going and they were not running smoothly.<

Well,the example above was a M Z-scale that sat in a box for 20+ years BigGrin

>Then came five-pole motors made in Germany. The cogging torque was much lower and locos ran much better. Motor runs significantly better.
The introduction of the new motor was not advertised to get unbiased customer feedback.<

The BR 74 was new(don't know where the motor was made) but the fact I couldn't open it and inspected,hurt,...

>Maybe three-pole motors for Z gauge will be back as soon as they introduce digital Z scale locos.<

Didn't M make this announcement and didn't produce said results?

>Now back to H0 gauge: low production quality and huge variation between exemplars of the same model are not unknown here. And Märklin has closed the circle from three-pole via five-pole and nine-pole (SDS) back to five-pole and three-pole ...<

As stated before,it comes down to the motor,......sorry to derail the thread.Smile

Dirt

Offline Janne75  
#148 Posted : 28 December 2013 20:34:04(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

I want to write a little bit more regarding the endurance test for my BR 81 (from starter set 29539). It has now been running continuously for a little more than 3,5 hours and everything is fine. I will not lubricate it if it's not starting to keep any bad noise. If it needs some lubrication in some point I will report it here. I want to keep it running as long as possible without any stops.

I have bridges that are 144 cm long on my layout. So if we think that it is "real world" bridge it would be 87 x (144:100) = 125,28 meter in 1:1 world. As it takes 6,2 seconds for BR 81 to run the distance of this bridge it is the same as 125,28 m : 6,2 seconds = 20,2 m/s. So same as 3,6 x 20,2 = 72,7 km/h prototypical speed. As we know that it takes about 1 minute and 10 seconds = 70 seconds to run around my outer mainline I could calculate that the outer mainline lenght is around 16,25 meters. 70 seconds : 6,2 seconds = 11,29 times the distance of 144 cm or 125,28 meters (prototypical). So 1,44 meters x 11,29 = 16,25 meters mainline lenght (1414,4 meters in 1:1 world). This BR 81 goes the same speed uphill or downhill as it has the newer decoder mfx with load regulation.

Enough from mathematics? BigGrin

As this thread is for 3-pole can motors I will continue. Today I opened my Märklin 3425 Kittel can motor as it did not help when I sprayed electric cleaner to it and tested. It spins very slowly when helping to rotate it from it's flywheel (motor separately powered by analog transformer). I found maybe the reason why it has problems. Other brush was in two pieces Scared . I think that there is no spare parts for these, so new motor should be bought. I managed to put it back together and left off the other smaller part from the damaged brush, but it functions as before. So I have opened and put back together my first 3-pole can motor ThumpUp .

Cheers,
Janne

Offline H0  
#149 Posted : 28 December 2013 21:06:38(UTC)
H0

The BR 81 has a worm drive. I don't think you will hear noise when the worm drive runs dry - but it will get damaged when it runs dry.
I didn't find a maintenance interval in the manual. With 20 (or 24) hours you should be on the safe side. I think you should grease the worm drive as specified.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline TrainIride  
#150 Posted : 28 December 2013 21:15:37(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
Hi Janne,

I have also a Br81 with a can motor.
A second hand certainly from the 29160 starter set.

She runs perfectly an smoothly an you can see her running here slowly in analog mode:
Marklin-Br81-and-t-boxes

So no problem for me with this can motor but needs grease on the worm and some drops of oil though ...

Best regards
Joël

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TrainIride