Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Frankenbahner  
#1 Posted : 08 December 2013 14:23:31(UTC)
Frankenbahner

Cast resin is used to create many small-series models and model kits.

Modeling trains, you will find at least the most common European and North American models for H0 and N scale. There aren't so many locos left without a model of them created by at least one manufacturer. Today, manufacturers often compete with with "doublets". For example, Märklin made new tooling for a BR 94 allthough Fleischmann already hat an excellent model of this class.

Modeling trams, you still have the problem of many unavailable models. There are a few large-series producers but they mostly make trams where versions for several different cities are possible. However, you find small-series models or kits. I always desired the model of a Munich P-class tram, an articulated car built in the 1960s. In a tram forum, I got informations about a modeller called Holger Diedrich who makes small-series cast resin kits for this tram class. At once, I ordered such a kit. It arrived in September and has now been completed.

In this thread, I will show some pictures of the work on this kit.

At first, a picture taken in March 2013, showing a P-class tram as a line 17 service to Amalienburgstraße (located near famous Nymphenburg castle). The picture was taken near the Central Bus Station.

UserPostedImage

Regards,
Florian

Edited by user 08 December 2013 20:42:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

H0 3-rail AC with DCC, MM and mfx, 2-rail DC streetcars, and N gauge
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Frankenbahner
Offline petestra  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2013 16:16:50(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Thanks, Florian. I'll be looking forward to the photos. This is a very nice photo.

I ♥ Muenchen. Although the time I visited the Nymphenburg Palace I rode with the U-Bahn.

I have been there several times and have ridden the Strassenbahnen

many times too. Cheers, Peter. ThumpUp
Offline Frankenbahner  
#3 Posted : 08 December 2013 18:04:42(UTC)
Frankenbahner

First step was to install motor and gears. I decided to "transplant" a driven Halling chassis. Halling is a large-series manufacturer for H0 trams. Originally, this was part of a chassis for a six-axled Vienna Düwag tram. A new rotational joint had then to be constructed, for which I used parts of old Kleinbahn bogies.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,
Florian

Edited by user 09 December 2013 00:39:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Frankenbahner
Offline Frankenbahner  
#4 Posted : 08 December 2013 20:28:19(UTC)
Frankenbahner

UserPostedImage

The undriven bogies came from the Vienna Düwag (C class and E class) trams. These are undriven models produced for the Vienna tramway museum in the 1980s and 1990s. They came with plastic wheels, but Halling has metal wheels for these axles.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The car bodies came with cast-on bellows. However, I prefered "real" working bellows. As one can see, the trailers of these P-class sets are also articulated.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The idea for making bellows of folded paper came from a small Eastern German firm calles Schicht, when they released their model of the articulated DR double-deck trainsets in the 1960s. Schicht has eventually been nationalized, its products then distributed by Piko. After 1990, it has been re-privatized as "Sachsenmodelle", to be finally taken over by Tillig. Unfortunately, these sets have been out of production for many years now, but you can get them via Ebay for good prices. They look very impressive and are an interesting addition for every collection.

In a German tram forum, I finally found a template for fitting tram bellows.

UserPostedImage

The cab shows a typical 1960s' design. Some may think that P-class trams are "strange-looking" streetcars: an articulated, but only for-axled set, with no Jacobs-type bogie. But the conecept of two sections with an own bogie for each is not that uncommon. Very similar cars had already been in use in Bremen before. The Eastern European Tatra KT4 trams use the design of a four-axled articulated tram car as well.

Class P was designed to handle the narrow curves of the Munich tram systems. Bavarian streetcar systems, however, traditionally use very narrow curves, which could not be handled by all of the standart trams which came in use in Western Germany and Austria in the postwar era. This frequently meant for Bavarian tram operators to design their own new models.

Regards,
Florian
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Frankenbahner
Offline Frankenbahner  
#5 Posted : 09 December 2013 11:50:19(UTC)
Frankenbahner

UserPostedImage

On this picture, the first snap-in noses have been fixed to hold the car body on the chassis.

UserPostedImage

The new rotating joint.

UserPostedImage

The seats have been taken from two cheap, defect bus models (WIking and IMU models). The cab has been assembled of parts carved from polysterol pieces.

Regards,
Florian
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Frankenbahner
Offline Frankenbahner  
#6 Posted : 09 December 2013 11:55:30(UTC)
Frankenbahner

UserPostedImage

Another picture of the chassis for the front section of the motor car.

UserPostedImage

The chassis of the motor car, assembled for the first time.

Still some more weight had to be added not only to stabilze and balance the car, but also for more traction power.

Regards,
Florian
Offline Frankenbahner  
#7 Posted : 10 December 2013 13:55:38(UTC)
Frankenbahner

Next step were the seats for the trailer car. In the meantime, I had also started research for the correct livery, i.e. RAL colours and inscriptions. My plan was not to model a P-class car in its old livery used between 1966 and 1992, but in its current operatiing condition, i.e. of 2013. Running numbers are knwon, but P-class trams show several "special" lettering only in use by the MVG (Münchener Verkehrsgesellschaft, i.e. the municipial public transport company of Munich) - such as the buggy symbol. Others are even only in use for P-class, such as the signs "Ticket sale only inside the leading car" on the doors of the trailer car. So I rode a P-class car until the terminus of line 17 to take many photos of details inside and outside the car. Normally, the trams are waiting at the terminus for about ten minutes for the return trip. The cars are empty then, so nearly anybody will be upset when you'll walk around inside the car with your camera and take photos.

For the correct RAL colour numbers, I wrote to the MVG.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,
Florian
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Frankenbahner
Offline Frankenbahner  
#8 Posted : 12 December 2013 01:03:04(UTC)
Frankenbahner

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Riding the 1:1 scale P-class trams, I got that idea of more detailing for the interior furnishing. So, should I really model details like the ticket vending machine, the grabpoles, or the ticket validators? I had never done that before. I just decided to do so.

But before I started with the additional detailing, I noticed that one would clearly see the bogie suspensions from outside, which would spoil the model. So I added coverings consisting of two layers of thick transparant blister packaging material. The layers had been glued together with Loctite instand adhesive.

Metal wire was used to model the grabpoles.

Finally, it was time for some paint.

Extensive test runs, however, showed a need for traction tires. So I ordered such wheels from Halling. But traction tires were still not enough. Still, some more weight had to be added. Extensive tests were necessary to find out how much ballast was needed, and how much ballast was too much.

I talked with experts in our club and got some usefull recommendations. Finally, the problems could be solved.

Regards,
Florian
Offline kariosls37  
#9 Posted : 13 December 2013 11:57:29(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Great stuff FlorianThumpUp good to see someone else dabbling in the dark art of kitbuilding. It sounds like you are doing a great job of it. As far as weight is concerned on the driving bogie, more is better. The lead sheets used for flashing of roofs around brickwork are great for adding weight to rolling stock.

Cheers,
Rick
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kariosls37
Offline Frankenbahner  
#10 Posted : 14 December 2013 23:58:20(UTC)
Frankenbahner

It has been, so far, my first Resin kitbuilding project. It soon turned out that articulated trams of this axle configuration are generally a difficult matter. However I do not expect that any manufacturer will ever produce a model of these P-class trams, just because of the limited number of different versions. To add more weight, I used lead curtain weights.

The Halling chassis for the Vienna Düwag E-class tram came with two motors and two driven bogies. If you remove one motor, fit the remaining driven bogie with new which have traction tires, and add some weight, the remaining motor will have enough power to move the six-axled motor car and the four-axled trailer car.

That's what I did, just to transplant the removed second motor and the removed second driven bogie to the Munich P-class car.

http://www.halling.at/en...fertype=1&referid=73

Regards,
Florian

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Frankenbahner
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#11 Posted : 15 December 2013 00:27:35(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Originally Posted by: Frankenbahner Go to Quoted Post
It has been, so far, my first Resin kitbuilding project. It soon turned out that articulated trams of this axle configuration are generally a difficult matter. However I do not expect that any manufacturer will ever produce a model of these P-class trams, just because of the limited number of different versions. To add more weight, I used lead curtain weights.

The Halling chassis for the Vienna Düwag E-class tram came with two motors and two driven bogies. If you remove one motor, fit the remaining driven bogie with new which have traction tires, and add some weight, the remaining motor will have enough power to move the six-axled motor car and the four-axled trailer car.

That's what I did, just to transplant the removed second motor and the removed second driven bogie to the Munich P-class car.

http://www.halling.at/en...fertype=1&referid=73

Regards,
Florian

Very interesting work and what a challenge !

Thanks for the link, Florian. I see that this brand offers series 4000 trams of Brussels. Cool

Pierre.

Offline Frankenbahner  
#12 Posted : 21 December 2013 15:41:07(UTC)
Frankenbahner

The car bodies had been given away to a fellow club member for to get paint. When they came back, the decals had already arrived, so I could start to fit the car bodies with the correct lettering. Luckily, I had taken more than enough photos to see where the different pictograms had to be placed.

The running numbers I have chosen are 2010 for the motor car and 3037 for the trailer car. So-called "die-hard Märkliners" might propably wonder about the running numbers of P-class trailer cars.

This set is running on line 17, as scheduled during the 2012/2013 timetable period. With the new timetable which became effective in December, 15th, the P-class cars have now been transfered to line 21.

Of course, the cars got the Munich city emblems (coat of arms), called the "Münchener Kindl", which means "Child of Munich". Originally, this figure had been a Capuchin monk. Nowadays, the figure is generally seen as a girl, and they choose a young lady every two years who than performs as the "Münchener Kindl" for this period of time, acting as some kind of representative for the city of Munich.

Finally, it was time for the first test runs of the completely assembled set.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,
Florian
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Frankenbahner
Offline kbvrod  
#13 Posted : 21 December 2013 16:01:30(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Sweeeeeeeeeet!BigGrin

My only resin adventure was a NJC retro-fit of a BR 112(?) learned the hard way on painting that!LOL

Dirt
Offline petestra  
#14 Posted : 21 December 2013 17:15:59(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Florian, Strassenbahn looks super! You did a great job with them. They really add such

a touch of realism to any German city model. Froehliche Weihnachten und ein gutes neues

Jahr. Peter ThumpUp Smile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Frankenbahner  
#15 Posted : 23 December 2013 15:18:23(UTC)
Frankenbahner

I still have some pictures from the old town of Altburg:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,
Florian
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Frankenbahner
Offline DaleSchultz  
#16 Posted : 02 January 2014 22:43:37(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Excellent work!
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#17 Posted : 06 January 2014 22:42:31(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Excellent job ! Congratulations ! ThumpUp

Very nice layout and beautiful pictures by the way ! Cool

Pierre.