Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline craigericks  
#1 Posted : 29 November 2013 15:53:53(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
Hello Forum Members,
Recently got my CS2 working with digital turntable and even got the TT working correctly with TrainController Silver 7.0
However, when operating same, a locomotive caused a short on the TT. Now the TT will not move when I try to operate it with either the CS2 or TC. The turntable will move and go through the motions of programming it, but after I program it, all I get is a clicking sound when I try to move it either by the step buttons, the 180 turn button, or by selecting a track. The TT mechanism does not seem to be damaged because it will move during the programming sequence and it does work with the analog controller. Have I fried the 7687 digital controller or could it be I need to reset the CS2 by restoring the data?.
When programming it with the CS2 earlier I cannot remember if the track icons on the CS2 screen highlighted or not as I went through the sequence. Now they do not.
Any help from someone who has experienced this problem will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Craig
Marklin:CS2 and TrainController Gold v10
Offline Ross  
#2 Posted : 30 November 2013 00:24:21(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hello Craig,

I think the decoder is stuffed. I have been helping Greg T with his two turntables and he has experienced the same problems and has done all the steps you mentioned yesterday. Final count two turntables not working and three 7687 decoders all with the same problem. I think that the protection circuit isn't working on the decoders and something scrambles the decoder when trying to operate the turntable. I maybe worth asking Marklin service if there is a reset proceedure?

If you remove a segment of the turntable so the gear wheel can rotate without load you may see the gear move very very slow when you operate the turntable but a soon as a load to the gear is applied it will not rotate.

Hope this helps. Greg will be asking questions of Marklin soon and with a few people having the same questions I hope Marklin will address the problem.

Ross
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ross
Offline craigericks  
#3 Posted : 30 November 2013 02:51:37(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
Hi Ross,
I was hoping you would answer. You helped me with almost the same problem in March 2012. That time replaced both TT and decoder, because neither worked. The new TT has worked superbly using the analog controller, but wanted to get it up and running with my new CS2 and TrainController so I started using the decoder. I have been looking at the "Strange Bits" portion of your website to see if it was the TT. Thought it might be the indexing lever problem that you noted between the Fleishmann, old M, and new M, but there is a gap between the motor contacts until I move the lever. I notice that when I pull the lever toward the TT edge the contacts are flush and the flapper goes over the magnet. When I pull the lever toward the center of the turn table the mechanism slides back and the gap remains between the motor contacts. Also noticed that when I have the analog controller hooked up and I pull the green lever toward the center, the TT does turn under power. If it is not a TT problem, I am seriously considering getting the LDT equivalent for the M digital controller.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 30 November 2013 03:26:03(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I haven't even got to the stage of getting my 7687 decoder working with my 7286 TT. Gave up in disgust and am using a Viessmann 5213 K84 instead - that works fine.
Offline craigericks  
#5 Posted : 30 November 2013 04:12:11(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
"Gave up in disgust and am using a Viessmann 5213 K84 instead - that works fine"

David,
If you could point me in the right direction to explore this solution, I would appreciate it.
thanks,
Craig
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 30 November 2013 04:56:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
It's on Dale Schultz's website, I'll find the link for you.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 30 November 2013 05:02:59(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Here's the link to Dale's website:- http://modeltrain.serveh...igitizing_turntable_7286

You should be able to buy the regulator from your electronics store, rather than taking the one out of the 7286 analog controller. I think I used one rated for 400v, just make sure you adjust the wiring to suit, as the regulator you purchase might have different connections to the one shown.

Other related forum threads:

https://www.marklin-user...s&t=27232#post414150

https://www.marklin-user...-7686-7687.aspx#post6074
Offline Danlake  
#8 Posted : 30 November 2013 07:30:48(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: craigericks Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ross,
I was hoping you would answer. You helped me with almost the same problem in March 2012. That time replaced both TT and decoder, because neither worked. The new TT has worked superbly using the analog controller, but wanted to get it up and running with my new CS2 and TrainController so I started using the decoder. I have been looking at the "Strange Bits" portion of your website to see if it was the TT. Thought it might be the indexing lever problem that you noted between the Fleishmann, old M, and new M, but there is a gap between the motor contacts until I move the lever. I notice that when I pull the lever toward the TT edge the contacts are flush and the flapper goes over the magnet. When I pull the lever toward the center of the turn table the mechanism slides back and the gap remains between the motor contacts. Also noticed that when I have the analog controller hooked up and I pull the green lever toward the center, the TT does turn under power. If it is not a TT problem, I am seriously considering getting the LDT equivalent for the M digital controller.

Hi Craig,

I am using the LDT decoder and it works smoothly. On various forums there have been numerous users reporting frustrating problems with the Marklin TT decoder. Better to stay away from it...

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 30 November 2013 09:19:14(UTC)
Goofy

I too did had same problem with the turntable and decoder 7686 for many years ago.
It was decoder who default by use with keyboard.
It´s still amazing that Marklin has still same decoder 7686 who don´t works as usual.
I solved problem by use analog control of turntable and connect the bridge with digital Power.
It was more fun by do that!! ThumpUp
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline craigericks  
#10 Posted : 30 November 2013 13:47:23(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
David,
Thank you for the K84 links. Might be within my realm of expertise to make one of these.

Lasse,
Thank you for the LDT vote of confidence.

Anders,
Thank you for the analog control insight. Now that I have some basic routes in TC running from the roundhouse to the TT and beyond, it is fun to move the bridge via the analog controller, set the route in TC, watch the TT table window in TC move to the correct location, and have the locomotive move to the bridge once TC thinks it has moved the TT. I ran the TT with analog control for almost a year before I decided to mess with the digital controller again.

Problem is I really like using TC to get my layout automated as much as possible, and I think having the TT as part of that is really cool. LDT or K84? Can always switch back to analog control. Hmmmm...

Craig
Offline blid  
#11 Posted : 30 November 2013 15:12:53(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
Hi,
I had the same problem with my 7686/7689 and CS2 after a C2 upgrade and subsequent reprogramming of the 7687.

My problem was solved when I, by accident, pressed "step" after “input” and before “end”. Worked fine the last time I tried it, but I am now in the process of rebuilding the layout so it was some time ago.

The manual says “input” followed by “end”, but that did not work on mine. The TT did not move and there was a clicking sound as if the motor tried to move the TT while it was blocked. By manually releasing the lever it still wouldn’t move.

Regards,
Bjorn
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
Offline craigericks  
#12 Posted : 30 November 2013 16:36:14(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
Bjorn,
Thank you so much. Your "accident" helped me greatly. Pressing step after input and before end did not solve the problem for me; however, I experimented and found that pressing clear while the turntable was clicking and then turning the power off seemed to restore it back to working order. Took me several times to get the programming to work, because the final end command would not get the tt back to track one. Knew I was on the right track though, because before the end command seemed to make the tt inoperable, but now the step and track commands worked. Third programming attempt worked though. Sometimes luck is needed along with knowledge. Don't have much knowledge, but I seem to be lucky at least until next time.
Offline Goofy  
#13 Posted : 30 November 2013 16:42:59(UTC)
Goofy

I forget one thing about turntable decoder.
7686 and 7687 is not the same,because Marklin did upgraded 7687 and later new version 7687.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline craigericks  
#14 Posted : 05 December 2013 02:58:02(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
Now for the rest of the story...
Getting the TT working with TC revealed the true culprit in my digital system, my old HP Pavilion Computer with 1.7GHz Pentium processor, 756mb RAM, running windows XP SP3. Adding digital control of the TT surpassed the capability of the computer. Nothing seemed to be working reliably. TT moved randomly, turnouts sometimes would not switch, and kept losing connectivity between the IB and the computer (S88 feedback) and between the CS2 and the computer.
In frustration, I connected my laptop with 2.0 GHZ Pentium processor, 3.0 GB RAM, running Windows7, and everything worked smoothly. I was forced to connect the S88 to the computer through the CS2, because the IB uses a serial cable, but my laptop does not have a serial port. Now the TT runs with Marklin 7687 digital controller using TC; S88 feedback connected through the 60215 CS2 works accurately, and turnouts switch reliably.
Having researched computer spec requirements on the TC forum, I found that even my laptop may be at the bottom end of the spectrum, but since my layout is relatively small, with a max of 3-4 trains running at one time, I feel comfortable using it for now because it all seems to work well.
Once again, thank you to all who provided advice and feedback.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by craigericks
Offline craigericks  
#15 Posted : 08 December 2013 20:19:55(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
Once again.....Cursing
The Marklin 7687 Digital Set is back to its old tricks. Does nothing but allow the TT to click, and I can't get it operational. Additionally, I do believe that with it hooked to my system, it somehow interfered with the communication between the CS2 and my computer. I admit, I am not knowledgeable about how these components all work together, but I am basing my opinion on my observations. Without the 7687 connected, the CS2, computer, and IB all work fine. With the 7687 connected, the CS2 does not always switch the turnouts, and the IB kept losing connection to the computer. So... I am giving up on the 7687 and going to operate my TT with the analog controller until I order the LDT or try the K84 solution. Additionally, even with the computer upgrade, the CS2 still has S88 issues, although not as often. I have reconnected the S88 bus to my IB using a serial to USB cable to my computer. Works great. Would appreciate any insights on how the 7687 or other digital TT controller interfaces with CS2 and TC.
Regards,
Craig
Offline Ross  
#16 Posted : 30 June 2014 06:29:39(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hello Craig/All,

I advised Craig of a possible fix supplied by Maerklin Service and Craig has confirmed his turntable is now working. At the request of Craig I have updated the forum and have added the workaround/solution on page 25 of my turntable article seen below.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~...urntable_programming.pdf

Please note I have been having web provider problems where the 404 site not found message has been happening a lot. I think it has been fixed or at least improved so my site can be found. Seek and find to your hearts content. BigGrin Confused BigGrin
Ross
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Ross
Offline Shamu  
#17 Posted : 30 June 2014 06:53:26(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Cheers Ross,

Although I'm at least a year away from being in the position to take advantage of this (and your "how-to") I have saved it with all my Marklin Digital files.

Thanks so much for updating this thread, no doubt a hair saver for many in the future. One can hope that a new decoder 7687 has been produced to solve this issue once and for all.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline craigericks  
#18 Posted : 02 July 2014 02:25:30(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
Hello Craig/All,

I advised Craig of a possible fix supplied by Maerklin Service and Craig has confirmed his turntable is now working. At the request of Craig I have updated the forum and have added the workaround/solution on page 25 of my turntable article seen below.

Yes,BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Ross did indeed help me tremendously. I have had to use this method a number of times and it has restored the digital controller to working order each time. It is now no longer collecting dust, but is working beautifully with my CS2 and TrainController!

Offline craigericks  
#19 Posted : 02 July 2014 02:36:45(UTC)
craigericks

United States   
Forgot to add a big public thank you to Ross... Thank you Ross! I am truly enjoying incorporating digital control of my turntable into my layout.
Best regards,
Craig
Offline MikeR  
#20 Posted : 02 July 2014 17:34:39(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
Hello Craig/All,

Please note I have been having web provider problems where the 404 site not found message has been happening a lot. I think it has been fixed or at least improved so my site can be found. Seek and find to your hearts content. BigGrin Confused BigGrin

Thanks Ross

I have also been trying to control my TT from TC Gold v8 via a CS2 and have been having problems. Will be away for a few days but will try your documented solution when I return next week.

Mike
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
Offline Janne75  
#21 Posted : 02 July 2014 21:22:20(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

I had some years ago Märklin 7286 TT and it's 7687 decoder. It worked so unreliably that I gave up with it. I tried to use it with my CS2 and got it working for sometimes, but there were many problems.

So I sold these away. I'm glad to read some of you are able to use this "mission impossible" combination = 7286 + 7687 + CS2 BigGrin . It's unbeliavable Märklin has so unreliable combination (or really bad instructions and many "monday production pieces" = faulty) and these three are not cheap. I have no problems with my two old analog turntables 410NG and 7186 with their own controllers. So nowadays I have turntables only in my garage's analog layout. The digital layout has not a turntable now and will not have in the future either.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline Drongo  
#22 Posted : 04 July 2014 14:51:20(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I have to add my sincere thanks to Ross as well.

Today, after 12 months trying to get my TT to work with 7687 and CS2, it finally is working as expected. BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

I sent my TT and 7687 back to Marklin and they sent me a new 7687 - they are going to send me a new TT when production is finished. I have another TT and hooked up the new 7687 to it - did the programming and all worked. Therefore it is the 7687 that is the fault. If you are having the same problems with your TT, then I suggest you send the 7687 back to Marklin and ask them to replace it with a "tested" unit.

I'll let you know when the new TT arrives.

Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo