Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mb300e4m  
#1 Posted : 26 November 2013 20:45:42(UTC)
mb300e4m

I corresponded recently with a fellow that uses 407M Catenary Masts from 1938-1947 on his layout. He sent me some pictures of the masts that have holes drilled in them one about 1.5cm above base. He uses the holes as a power connection point for the catenary wire. He says the masts came that way, with the holes drilled in them.

I checked all of my available reference material and can find no mention of mast with holes drilled in them. None of my 407Ms from the same time period have holes in them.

Can anyone shed any light on them? Confused

Thanks, Peter B.

If I could figure out how to add pictures I would.
mb300e4m attached the following image(s):
407M (3).JPG
407M (2).JPG
Peter B.
In Sunny Florida most of the time.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline mb300e4m  
#2 Posted : 26 November 2013 20:48:58(UTC)
mb300e4m

I think I might have figured out the pictures. They are a bit fuzzy though.
Peter B.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 07 December 2013 11:37:41(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: mb300e4m Go to Quoted Post

Your problem with pictures is that they are WAY too big.

You have two choices, either drop the resolution on your camera, or use software to reduce the image size on your PC.

As an initial start if you are using a Windows PC you should be able to use "Paint" from your Accessories folder under All Programs to open the image, then resize it as required and resave it with a new name unless you want to permanently overwrite your original image.

I resized yours down 75% to get the size shown here, which also considerably reduced the file size on the hard drive. It's worth learning how to do this otherwise you'll find some readers just won't bother trying to open your pictures, especially if they are on a slower internet connection or are concerned about their data usage.

Hope this helps

Steve

cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
407M (2).jpg
407M (3).jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline mb300e4m  
#4 Posted : 07 December 2013 14:06:12(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mb300e4m Go to Quoted Post

Your problem with pictures is that they are WAY too big.

You have two choices, either drop the resolution on your camera, or use software to reduce the image size on your PC.

As an initial start if you are using a Windows PC you should be able to use "Paint" from your Accessories folder under All Programs to open the image, then resize it as required and resave it with a new name unless you want to permanently overwrite your original image.

I resized yours down 75% to get the size shown here, which also considerably reduced the file size on the hard drive. It's worth learning how to do this otherwise you'll find some readers just won't bother trying to open your pictures, especially if they are on a slower internet connection or are concerned about their data usage.

Hope this helps

Steve

Hi Steve,

The pictures were not mine, nor taken by me. I think they were taken with a cheap mobile phone, hence the fuzziness. Most of my pics are shot with an Olympus in Hi Res to enable my to blow them up and then crop details for my restoration work.. I have several quality photo software apps.

The person that sent them to me was looking for more masts like the ones in the pictures. He said his masts were original and came with the holes drilled in them near the bottom of the masts, errrrr.....I have never seen any manufactured this way, have you?

I had about 120 early pieces of sale for $250, he offered me $30 (thirty), so his offer was summarily shot at dawn; no pun intended. I recently sold them to a collector for $250. He was building an early 3 rail Marklin layout; he was delighted with them. He got all the overhead wires and other related parts too.

Best regards,

Peter B.
Peter B.