Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tj4shee  
#1 Posted : 07 August 2013 21:52:25(UTC)
tj4shee

United States   
Hi, Years ago... 1998 maybe ? I purchased a Maxi 5452 Aloisius Loco, tender, 2 passenger cars and a bunch of track from a person. Everything is in great shape and had been sitting unused since I bought it. I recently took it out and started looking at it... I found the exploded diagram of it and found where the decoder was - unfortunately, one of the transistors on the decoder is definitely burned out....

I have a G Scale layout.... and would like to run this on that layout.... so I thought I might put a DCC decoder in it.

Does any one out there have any info that might help me ?

Biggest question to start with is whether the motor is DC or not. My next question is Does anyone know the pinout of the wiring harness that plugs into the decoder ?

Thanks for any help given, TJ
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 07 August 2013 23:29:31(UTC)
H0

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Gauge I is not my area of expertise, but I'm pretty sure it is a DC motor (it should have two connections).
Märklin uses AC/DC motors with three connections for H0, but the motor on the explosion diagram looks very much like a DC motor.

I hope someone here knows that loco and can answer your questions.
If not, then maybe pictures will help us to help you.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline tj4shee  
#3 Posted : 08 August 2013 03:27:18(UTC)
tj4shee

United States   
Thanks.... I was expecting that it probably was.... Here is the wire configuration for connection to the decoder plug....

The plug colors and what I found using sight and a multimeter...

Grey ---- Fwd Light
Brown -- Left Track
Green -- Motor
White -- ???
White -- ???
Blue ---- Motor
Red ---- Right Track
Yellow -- Reverse Light

I hate to have to pull it apart to verify.... so if anyone can help on the wiring I would be grateful.

I am amazed at how well built these are.... they are just not metal... but good heavy metal... and the number of nuts and bolts on it is impressive... verses just screws

Edited by user 08 August 2013 12:55:40(UTC)  | Reason: Changes to my guesses on wiring

Offline tj4shee  
#4 Posted : 08 August 2013 13:19:16(UTC)
tj4shee

United States   
I found a page on the Marklin site that seems to fit the wire colors in my loco... looks like they use standard colors on all decoders

http://www.marklin.com/tech/decoder.html

red = locomotive operating current, hot lead
brown = locomotive operating current, return lead/ground
gray = front headlight, hot lead
yellow = rear headlights, hot lead
blue = motor connection
green = motor connection
black = ground lead for universal motor
orange = ground lead for functions
brown/red = hot lead for function 1
brown/green = hot lead for function 2
brown/yellow = hot lead for function 3
brown/white = hot lead for function 4
white = hot lead for DELTA function
violet = electronic circuit ground

So this only leaves me with the question on the smoke.... could it be the 2 white wires ?
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 08 August 2013 14:14:00(UTC)
H0

With recent locos they use white cables for speakers. Does the loco have sound?
With H0 gauge, the smoke generator normally connects to function 1 (brown/red wire) if it can be digitally controlled.
If the smoke generator is always on, then maybe it connects directly to the track power, i.e. red and brown.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline tj4shee  
#6 Posted : 08 August 2013 18:26:26(UTC)
tj4shee

United States   
I never thought about sound.... I have to check for speaker holes...

I don't think the smoke is digital controlled now that you mentioned it... there is a switch in the cab to turn smoke on/off
Offline tommyheadleycox  
#7 Posted : 15 November 2013 19:02:52(UTC)
tommyheadleycox

Lucky you to have an Aloisius! They're they prettiest of all the MAXI line up and I've been trying to buy one for a LONG time. Here is a link from a guy who installed an ESU decoder in a similar MAXI. It's an incredibly slick idea. I intend to do the same thing one day with the lok from my starter set. It's running pretty well , though , right now, with a Märklin 60955 digital decoder in it. (Not delta)

Here's the link: it's cool

http://falconer-family.o...n_54505_dcc_fitting.html

Regards,
Tommy
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tommyheadleycox
Offline Rocca  
#8 Posted : 29 December 2013 19:20:00(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Originally Posted by: tj4shee Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Years ago... 1998 maybe ? I purchased a Maxi 5452 Aloisius Loco, tender, 2 passenger cars and a bunch of track from a person. Everything is in great shape and had been sitting unused since I bought it. I recently took it out and started looking at it... I found the exploded diagram of it and found where the decoder was - unfortunately, one of the transistors on the decoder is definitely burned out....

I have a G Scale layout.... and would like to run this on that layout.... so I thought I might put a DCC decoder in it.

Does any one out there have any info that might help me ?

Biggest question to start with is whether the motor is DC or not. My next question is Does anyone know the pinout of the wiring harness that plugs into the decoder ?

Thanks for any help given, TJ

Hello, TJ4shee,

The answer is yesss!!! You can use for DCC operation any Märklin Loco in 1 Gauge. I have too and Aloisius, but I use it only for the Märklin system...it is great!!
Have great fun!

Stefano Rocca
Offline grnwtrs  
#9 Posted : 30 December 2013 23:00:11(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Jenny was my first maxi. Took 3 trips across the Atlantic until the paint would stick!
But that is another story. Then it blew the decoder board,fixed , then it blew again.

This time I took a board out of (MAX)Maxi, the first engine in the first set
slid it into the JENNY LOK and all worked fine. No sound, smoke available
as separate install.

Love the Lok, later on I was able to buy Aloisius on Ebay. Now my fav

Regards,
gene