Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline TouchCab  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2013 21:08:35(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Hi all.

It's been a while since I have posted here. I've been busy dealing with a lot of things in Real Life (tm), but TouchCab is certainly not dead.

I've been creeping along the previously stated roadmap, and version 1.7.5 - the full Lenz version - is in fact complete, except for train routes. After Apple's announcement of iOS7 I have decided to postpone this feature until version 2.0, since there is some graphics work involved in making train routes. I'm not talking about track plans here, mind you, but train routes as in 'multiple accessories throwing in sequence'.

To save myself some time, I have also decided to skip the actual release of version 1.7.5 and go straight to version 1.8, so that all planned command stations are supported before moving on to version 2.0, which I expect to be pretty much a redesign from the ground up.

Version 1.8 means CS2, and I have started programming for it. It is new territory for me, the protocol is different from the ones I have been using until now, and I don't know where the pitfalls are - if any. So very soon I will need the help from users with a reasonably sized layout and a reasonable number of trains running on it. A tabletop 4" x 8" I can simulate myself, and I'd like to see what happens when TouchCab is exposed to all the fun things that you are doing with your model railroads.

Serious beta testers must agree to provide feedback and do a bit of ping-pong back and forth, as bugs are being sorted out as we go along. Of course you need a CS2 with one of the newer software versions. If you are interested, drop me a mail at touchcab(at)touchcab.com. I can't take everyone, so please bear with me if you are rejected.

Best regards
Jens

Edited by user 13 July 2013 01:06:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards,
Jens
---
This account is no longer active
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline TouchCab  
#2 Posted : 21 August 2013 01:13:15(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
TouchCab Free version 1.7.9 with CS2 support has been approved and will trickle through to the iTunes App Store shortly.

Please note that due to the limited information in the Märklin CAN protocol, this release is in fact a prequel to version 1.8 of both the full and the free version of TouchCab, so if you find anything strange going on, please let me know, so I can fix it as soon as possible.

Have fun

Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 21 August 2013 02:24:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks Jens, I'll certainly give it a try.
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 22 August 2013 22:23:04(UTC)
Webmaster

Well, I just have an oval so it won't help you much - but it's great to see that new development work has been resumed on this excellent software.! ThumpUp
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline TouchCab  
#5 Posted : 23 August 2013 01:38:20(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Thank you all.

I have single-drive accessories running, but dual-drive accessories are a nightmare.

If I set the state of an accessory, I get a response that the state has been set - just like the protocol says.
If the accessory is set from somewhere else, like the CS2 itself or the MS app, I get information that the drives of the accessories have changed their state, and now it's up to me to decode what happened. And there is seemingly no pattern to which drive change affects which state. I'm sure there is eventually, but geez ... just when I think I have it nailed, the next accessory type wrecks the theory.

Cursing Angry Confused Mad

Oh well ... just another bump on the road with this strange command station.

Or rather - the command station is great, but the protocol implementation really sucks. Not even the MS app is working properly, and they have had two and a half years to get it right! I mean, if they were concealing information from me for reasons of competition, that would be understandable and perfectly natural, but it appears the MS app is suffering from the same protocol inadequacies that I do. Go figure ...

Wait - maybe they are just having fun with the competition: Let's see them figure this protocol out, hehe ...
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TouchCab