Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rogerabbit  
#1 Posted : 04 June 2013 15:22:41(UTC)
rogerabbit

United Kingdom   
Hello All

I'm newly registered to this wonderful site and I would like to open by thanking all the fabulous contributors who have already given me invaluable help and assistance. I had a small collection of Marklin in the fifties when I was a kid and a whole bunch of Faller kits I constructed. Yet it was never set up due to the family constantly moving house. And I've dutifully carted it around from house to house throughout my life so far.

Two weeks ago I went up into the loft and brought down the dusty boxes. I had no idea what to expect after sixty years. What I found was a treasure trove - stunning model railway - boxes and their contents in mint condition. The kits had survived without a break. Rewired the transformer, light oil, connected up and off it all went. Remarkable.

Inspired and excited I bought a mountain of M track from a delightful guy in Somerset - signals. accessories, extra locos, coaches and rolling stock, crane, turntable (the works). So I'm setting about fulfilling a childhood dream like many others do - and you can see why I appreciate the superb content on this site.

I love Faller kits. Yes, I know the scale is a little amiss but back in the fifties, Marklin, Faller and Wiking were inseparable. I love the kits but not the price of them! Thrifty scenic modelling is my passion so I seek out broken, unloved kits - lots of bits missing and glue everywhere. I like to collect and use throwaway materials for all sorts of things. So my first, nervous contribution to this site shows how I've used them to restore and create buildings.

This is Zindelstein Station which I bought for a couple of pounds - no platform canopy, supports and fencing, chimney missing, station sign torn, broken roof snapped at the rear, no eaves, no side door - barely recognisable as a station. First photo shows it. Downloaded a picture of the box on the web which shows what it should look like so I'll post that and some of the packaging materials I used to restore it - and other materials I have used for projects (for glazing, roofing and inner shells). Then a few views of Zindelstein Station (if I can - my first post so hoping for the best). If there's room on the post I'll add some photos of buildings made for my English layout, a chapel and some huts and stores made ENTIRELY from food packaging. The basic ideas may be of interest.

ZINDELSTEIN STATION: -

- The see-through platform canopy was made of sandwich packaging and the supports from split lollipop sticks.
- The fencing - some unused Wills kit I had knocking around.
- The eaves were cut from food packaging and mounted on sections of matchstick glued underneath the roof.
- The broken roof corner was repaired with a piece of chilled food tray, modelling putty applied on top of it, then modelling moss glued to it - dabs of red paint. Additional moss to the wall to simulate a climbing plant.
- The ornamentation for the eaves (the cross) is cut from a piece of disused Hornby plastic sleeper, painted to match the eaves.
- The waiting room side door is simply a piece of plastic packaging glued behind the aperture.
- Removed the existing chimney and split it and used half for the missing chimney on the main building. Added flashing to hide the holes at the bases.
- Created 'ZINDELSTEIN' station sign on the computer - mounted on a small section of food tray.
- Benches - simple affairs made with small pieces of discarded plastic (I save all kinds of throwaway plastic with interesting shapes and mouldings).
- A few little people and Bingo!

Hopefully there's a few ideas here of interest. Many thanks again, everyone - oh, and by the way, LIDL food packaging is better than TESCO and ASDA - thicker and stronger. My German friends are not surprised !

PLEASE SEE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF THE FINISHED MODEL IN THE REPLIES - BELOW ON YUM'S MAIL. HE VERY KINDLY DOWNSIZED THEM FOR ME.

Edited by user 06 June 2013 18:37:41(UTC)  | Reason: Please bear with me - having difficulty attaching photos

rogerabbit attached the following image(s):
As Received.JPG
Faller Country Station B-92 (2).JPG
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by rogerabbit
Offline kweekalot  
#2 Posted : 04 June 2013 20:37:26(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Roger,

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp
You did a nice job on the Faller kits.

We need to click on your attachments to see a photo.
Maybe you should consider using some kind of photo host, as many other members do too, like Imageshack.

Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 04 June 2013 20:38:59(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi RogerRabbit,

Welcome to the forum!

This is some very nice classic faller kits.

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Yumgui  
#4 Posted : 04 June 2013 23:30:28(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Hi Roger, and welcome to the forum ...

Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post

We need to click on your attachments to see a photo.
Maybe you should consider using some kind of photo host, as many other members do too, like Imageshack.

As Marco wrote above it's a bit tedious to open each photo, so please see here for photo sizing in the future :
https://www.marklin-user...he-Forum.aspx#post314907

I've re-sized them in the same order for you below so other members can have an easier look at your work ...
... must admit that I got a bit hungry on the first ones ... ^^ ;)

Great bashing ideas there, love the shacks on last photo !

Yum ThumpUp

Edited by user 05 June 2013 19:20:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Yumgui attached the following image(s):
000_Sandwich-Package_Chilled-Food-Tray_Meat-and-Veg-Container_lite.jpg
001_Chilled-Food-Trays_lite.jpg
002_Corrugated-Plastic-Biscuit-Lining_lite.jpg
011_lite.jpg
014_lite.jpg
015_lite.jpg
016_lite.jpg
020_lite.jpg
021_lite.jpg
031_lite.jpg
050_10_lite.jpg
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Yumgui
Offline Chook  
#5 Posted : 05 June 2013 06:59:13(UTC)
Chook

Australia   
Rogerrabbit - you're my kind of guy. I love the ability to rebuild and invent usable items from "stuff" others have discarded.

Regards....Chook. (I was recycling years before it became fashionable!)
Offline kweekalot  
#6 Posted : 05 June 2013 08:27:54(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
BTW; The plastic used for Faller kits is Polystyrene (in Germany knows as Polystyrol). This Polystyrene plastic is also widely used for disposables food packaging like disposable cups and the plastics that Roger is using to restore his Faller kits.
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 05 June 2013 08:56:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Excellent work, Roger!

I love the idea of rescuing a broken and discarded kit and bringing it back to life.

Your scratch-built buildings are also brilliant!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline rogerabbit  
#8 Posted : 05 June 2013 12:55:42(UTC)
rogerabbit

United Kingdom   
Thanks so much for the kind comments, guys - and a HUGE thank you to Yum for taking the time and trouble to put my first post right! Such a lovely thing to do. Marklinland is certainly a nicer place than the rest of the world. Couldn't understand why my photos wouldn't show but the images taken from the web did. Think I get it now. Too much quality! And oversized.

I will experiment and try to download another pick after tampering with it. If it works, this is a scratch built derelict corrugated iron chapel from my English layout. It's constructed entirely from scrap materials and food packaging - namely -

- Corrugated iron - lining plastic inside many boxes of biscuits and cakes - particularly German! Lots around at Christmas (photo above - earlier). Warped it slightly at the edges so I could grow ivy out of it!
- Very thin - so glued onto a shell constructed from a chilled ham tray, window shapes cut out, glazed with chilled cheese container! Tiny strips of thin plastic glued behind the glazing for the window frame and cross members. Frame constructed onto used matchsticks at the corners. A standard matchstick is exactly the height of an HO/OO scale single storey building!
- Roof - a mushroom container. The ridge and guttering - curved edges of a chilled food tray (you can bend these to increase the curve) applied to the roof. You get fantastic mouldings on these food containers - free plastic sheeting as far as I can see.
- Down pipes - piece of old Hornby rail.
- Roof Crosses - cut sections of disused Hornby plastic sleeper - painted gold.
- Fence - old mosquito wire netting (you can buy it - very cheap) - posts - split wicker from an old wicker basket (fabulous stuff to use for model railway - doesn't perish, cross section looks great, paints well - use it for chimneys, log piles, wagon log loads - all sorts of things. Got a dirty clothes basket which is falling to bits and shedding it - will last me into the hereafter!
- Benches - scraps of plastic and strips of food container. I NEVER pay for these!
- Base - built onto a pizza base, cut to shape. These are high density polywotnot - cuts cleanly, strong yet easy to penetrate if needed. Fabulous resource.

Nice thing is that imperfections improve the model and add to the look of dereliction.

So the whole thing was made for the cost of the paint. Thanks again for your help and warm welcome, fellas.

Best. Roger.
rogerabbit attached the following image(s):
Rogiet Presbyterian Chapel - Copy (800x600).jpg
Rogiet Chapel - Copy (800x600).jpg
Side View - Copy (800x600).jpg
Rear View (800x600).jpg
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by rogerabbit