Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Imagine  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2013 06:50:18(UTC)
Imagine

United States   
The Apr/May2013 Marklin Magazine on p. 14 noted a Mobile Station App for Android. Several searches were conducted and nothing was found. Has anyone found the Mobile Station App for Android?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 13 May 2013 07:29:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I last searched for it about three weeks ago but found nothing for it then.
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 14 May 2013 21:37:52(UTC)
Webmaster

Hope the apps will be available for Win Phone 8, Win RT & Win 8 in the future too... Wink
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Christoffer  
#4 Posted : 16 May 2013 15:52:31(UTC)
Christoffer

Norway   
According to märklin official it should be released during Q2 this year.. Follow on google play.

Source märklin via mail.

Christoffer
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Christoffer
Offline Gert-Jan  
#5 Posted : 17 May 2013 20:00:06(UTC)
Gert-Jan

Finally...almost this is...Bored

It still amazes me that many large companies have there Apple app. ready long before releasing the Android version.
Numbers should count IMHO....the installed base for Android OS is way larger than IOS.

Mosty era III DB.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gert-Jan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 17 May 2013 23:18:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
You're right Gert-Jan, Android have far more devices out there than Apple. The company I work for has provided either iPhones or Blackberries as company standard phones, but we are considering going for iPhones and Samsung S3 minis as our standard phones. My company provided phone is an Samsung S3, which is the only S3 in the company. A previous CIO wanted one, even though they are not our standard phones, but our new CIO was happy with an iPhone, so the S3 has been used within our team as a trial phone. I like it, especially the larger screen. It is fast, there are plenty of apps for it (except Marklin), and Marklin TV episodes play well on it. It does chew through the battery though, I can make it last 2 days, but usually have to recharge it after a day and a bit of use.
Offline clapcott  
#7 Posted : 19 May 2013 00:29:30(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I have to sit on the fence on this one...

I will speculate that the MSApp was originally presented by a third part (21TORR ??) to Marklin, and while the Marketing department may have loved the idea, the business arm would, quite rightly, want to see a revenue stream against it to at least offset some of the cost and cover potential support.

The AppStore is not a closed shop however the rigorous process imposed by Apple in getting something registered does offer the benefit of a product that interfaces in a consistent manner and does not have coding exposures. It is not perfect but it offers a "bar of confidence" for users.

Conversely, anyone can write (and have done) an Android App. It is optional as to whether these are posted on Google Play however they may be in private circulation and will remain so because the author may not want the stress of supporting them (and the inevitable wish-list demands).

Should some of these recreational developers have been on the cusp of publishing their products earlier this year, I would surmise that Marklins "pre-emptive strike" only muddied the waters so that these guys thought "Is it worth it" (and are waiting for any pricing to be announced).

Further, even as with the MSApp, when/if a product is released there will be the inevitable cries "That's illogical", "I would have done it differently.."

I would suggest that getting your children/grandchildren to write an App as part of a school project would be a more likely way to get a product that works the way YOU want. In the process it may help get another generation involved with model railways.
Peter
Offline clapcott  
#8 Posted : 19 May 2013 00:53:48(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
And look what the cat brought in

https://play.google.com/...Im1qdy5yZW1vdGVjczIiXQ..

But don't be surprised if "Your device isn't compatible with this version"

edit. Marko replied to my query indicated Android 2.3.3 version was the minimum

====== QUOTE FROM PLAY STORE ============================================
Note:
This is NOT the official announced Märklin App. It's just a leisure project I've been created over the years.
Suggestions and enhancement requests are always welcome!
It's currently tested with Märklin Central Station 60213 and following versions:
- Version 1.6.4 (3)
- Version 2.2.0 (1)
- Version 3.0.1 (1)
If you have questions or issues please contact us! Thanks!
Coming soon:
- Optimized screen layout for Tablets
- Keyboard support in order to control solenoid accessories
- etc.
Requirements:
- Märklin Central Station 60213/60214/60215 (min. Version 1.6.4)
- Android Device
- Wifi Network (where the Android device must be connected)
- Märklin Central Station must be reachable through the connected Wifi Network
Tags: Modellbahn model railroad mobile station central station mobile center locomotive train remote control fernsteuern fernsteuerung

=======================================================================
Peter
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 19 May 2013 01:06:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Good spotting Peter!

I've downloaded it, and will have a play today. I see that there is no solenoid control as yet, but that is apparently coming.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 19 May 2013 07:35:32(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I had a play with this new CS2Remote Android app today. At this stage it only has the cab control. The interface is basic but functional, and it does display the icons from the CS2. The app can also read the loco list from the CS2.

One thing that frustrates me with the Mobile Station app on an iPod is that it is quite sensitive to movement of the iPod, and regularly rotates between portrait and landscape operation, even when you don't intend it to. Sometimes the screen update of the Mobile Station app locks up and you get the speed dial of the landscape version showing in a portrait orientation, with only half of the screen showing, with the rest being truncated. It is also easy to inadvertently change the speed control if the iPod is bumped in some way, with the result that trains take off at warp speed.

This CS2Remote app suffers none of those issues. It does not auto rotate from portrait to landscape, even if the android device is set to auto rotate - it permanently stays in portrait orientation. And not once during an afternoon of using it did I accidentally change the speed setting, even though I was crawling underneath my layout with my phone quite a bit. Because of that alone, I like it. I can't wait for the upgraded version with solenoid control, and whatever else the developer has planned. On the iPod, setting the throttle speed can be an issue, as you can often set something higher than what you want due to the sensitivity of the screen. And then it can be unresponsive when you want to slow things down. With the CS2Remote / S3 combination, that never happened.

One thing to note when connecting it to the CS2, is that you need to set the CAN gateway on the CS2 to 'Broadcast', and if the CS2Remote app still does not connect, you need to set the target device in the CS2's CAN settings to the TCPIP address of your android device.

My Samsung S3 is running the latest version of its operating system, which is based on Android 4.1.

Best of all, the CS2Remote app is free.

Edited by user 19 May 2013 11:54:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Winterblade73  
#11 Posted : 19 May 2013 08:20:21(UTC)
Winterblade73

United States   
I'll wait til the official Marklin app is released for Android.
Phil from SoCal
Member of ETE SoCal since 2011
ETE SoCal Facebook Page
Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxembourgeois (CFL) Era III-VI
Offline Imagine  
#12 Posted : 22 May 2013 15:45:54(UTC)
Imagine

United States   
Thanks for the info on the Android app. I'll try it in a few weeks at our next club meeting and let you know how it works.
Offline drbob01  
#13 Posted : 13 September 2013 03:50:46(UTC)
drbob01

It's now mid-September 2013 and still no official Android app available on Google play...
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 13 September 2013 10:26:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: drbob01 Go to Quoted Post
It's now mid-September 2013 and still no official Android app available on Google play...

Well, it actually is on Google Play, but you just can't buy it yet.
Offline sjlauritsen  
#15 Posted : 13 September 2013 10:36:10(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Hope the apps will be available for Win Phone 8, Win RT & Win 8 in the future too... Wink

Me too. I mailed Märklin to let them know. If others will do the same, perhaps they will think about it. Eventually it will come I am sure, but for the moment there is nothing that indicates anything in the pipeline.

I have developed a .NET API that talk XpressNet for my Lenz LI-USB system. The plan was to create a Windows Phone hand controller and a Windows RT/Windows 8 track plan. I am currently thinking of a CAN implementation as well, but I have not yet access to a Central Station 2, so I cannot test it. I planning buying one next year though.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline clapcott  
#16 Posted : 15 September 2013 02:09:34(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: drbob01 Go to Quoted Post

Well, it actually is on Google Play, but you just can't buy it yet.

That needs a qualification ...

There appears to be a regional lock on its availability (It may be Germany only - any else comment) but there have been downloads and reviews posted following its announce a week or so back on Marklin News.

One (external) bureaucratic hurdle to overcome is revenue tax compliance for different jurisdictions. Not a biggy, one would have thought for a company like Marklin, but it is a cost of doing business internationally.

Peter
Offline clapcott  
#17 Posted : 17 September 2013 07:10:10(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post

There appears to be a regional lock on its availability (It may be Germany only - any else comment) but there have been downloads and reviews posted following its announce a week or so back on Marklin News.

Can someone(anyone) in Germany/Europe confirm they are actually able to download the App for the MobileStation and/or MainStation

https://play.google.com/....mobilestation&hl=de
Code:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.maerklin.app.mobilestation&hl=de

https://play.google.com/...pp.mainstation&hl=de
Code:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.maerklin.app.mainstation&hl=de

If anyone else has inquired, of Marklin, about the County restriction and received any reply could you please post it here

Peter
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#18 Posted : 17 September 2013 08:24:25(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yes, I wondered whether the app was restricted to Germany only - seems like it is.
Offline Christoffer  
#19 Posted : 28 September 2013 09:07:25(UTC)
Christoffer

Norway   
I tested to buy it a couple of days ago and couldn't buy it Confused Sad Restricted to germany only?

Christoffer
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Christoffer