Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 3rail4life  
#1 Posted : 27 April 2013 08:13:17(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hi all,

When I try to update/ change the sound files on a mSD decoder with my CS2, everything works until the very end when the decoder reset is supposed to take place nothing happens and the decoder stays the same. This happens after getting the update successful message.

ThumpUp ThumpUp Solved, thanks to all who replied, not all projects require a decoder reset, although some projects may need function mapping or icons changed to make everything right. And if your sound file does not show up in the last update box, when updating, type in the name with the .html extension and it should work fine.

Cheers,

Gordon

Edited by user 04 September 2013 01:57:55(UTC)  | Reason: solved

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 28 April 2013 00:07:40(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Hi Gordon,

A bit more information about versions please.
Also is the mLD firwmare part of the decoder uptodate

not sure if you are describing the same symptom, however I have found (older version?) that after an update the the existing object/icon would need to be removed and the decoder rediscovered. I think this happens automatically now - will check when I can.
Peter
Offline 3rail4life  
#3 Posted : 28 April 2013 06:23:09(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hello Peter,

Thank you for your reply, the decoders I am trying to update are 60945 with decoder firmware 1.9.15.0, FDS TLNR: 171344, Rev:0 Sound Fw 171344 Rev:1 SW V:1.21 Sound Flash IST: TLNR: 2575755. I hope I got that right, I am new to this decoder programming, had some good luck with a 60947, updated to an ICE sound, Information beyond the Märklin video is hard to find, I am trying to search for more answers. I seem to recall the 60947 resetting and re registering after the update, The 60945 is not doing that. I think the sound file is actually updating, but it hard to tell, the icons stay the same as well as the locomotive name, maybe this is what it is supposed do now? Confused Unsure

Thanks,

Gordon
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 06 May 2013 12:54:22(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Gordon,

OK , first thing is to align our expectations with what Marklin actually provide, which may not necessarily be what we want.

- The "Sound Flash" file update does not need a reset - On exit from the "Update complete" message it is ready to do.

- If you do a "Decoder FDS" mapping update (Which included the Icon<>Function mapping table) you will cause a "reload" on exit as the CS2 will have written the changes to the decoder and then deleted the locomotive from its database on exit - This is so that the locomotive is forced to re-register itself along with any new Icon<>Function mappings

- What must NOT be assumed is that the sound file update process will automatically update the Icon<>Function mapping. Even though the Info file associated with the Sound file contains a table to show where the sounds have been mapped to, you have to do the Icon mapping yourself.

So , back to your original post - unless there is something really wrong - I suspect that it is the icon mapping that needs to be addressed rather than the sound files.

You can get some way towards this by loading one of the default "decoder FDS" files - selecting one of the "mSD ...Platine"(for 6094x ...Kabel for 6096x)) options (Steam,Diesel,Electric) as applicable.
After that you need to printout the table for your selected sound file and edit the icons as applicable
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline 3rail4life  
#5 Posted : 09 May 2013 06:27:51(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Gordon,

OK , first thing is to align our expectations with what Marklin actually provide, which may not necessarily be what we want.

Peter, I think your spot on with that, thanks for all the useful information, I really appreciate your help. The thing that threw me off was the instruction video and the message from the CS2 when the sound file is completed. I like these new decoders and hope to learn how to use the mDT to customize the sound files to include more my favorite sounds on some of the existing locomotive sound files. Hopefully we will see better documentation and support in the future. Thanks again,

Gordon
Offline stevend  
#6 Posted : 16 May 2013 12:09:20(UTC)
stevend

Hi there,

Does anybody else have as much *fun* as I do with sounds and loading them into a mSD with the CS2 V3?

Steps:
1)You down load the file from the Marklin Site
2) Save it to a clean usb drive. Plug it into the CS2
3) Click the update sounds
3a) Wait for the USB to stop flashing
4) Go to the loco maintenance screen and head for update.
5) Select the file you want for each of the lines.... firmware update is there..
6) But no files for the other three!

I don't think I have seen such bad design for this sort of thing. It is just dumb. It's complex and a disconnected process and doesn't work *most* the time. Then any information possibly helpful is in German.

And why, oh why, would anybody not have matched up sounds files with icons to match without the need to change the icons one by one!

Someone has rocks in their head!

Try playing with the mDecoder to create a fds file...guess what...that didn't work either!

This makes a cisco router configuration look like a walk in the park!

Sorry having a vent...grrrrr!

Kind Regards
D

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by stevend
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 16 May 2013 13:02:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Good old Cisco configs - though they can do your head in sometimes! Especially when ASA firewalls don't quite act the way you'd expect them to!

Anyway, I digress. I think there is a html file with the sound files, which if you load that up, gives you icons matching the sounds........sort of! I think the html file is generic, so if there is a variation in the sounds being loaded, they don't always line up with the icons.

Or at least, that was my experience when I loaded some sound files into a mSD decoder some time ago, but things may have changed since then.
Offline franciscohg  
#8 Posted : 16 August 2013 18:33:52(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Back to this topic..
I have got a 60945 to fit in my 28506 S3/6, it works just fine
But the update process to load new sounds have been so far unsuccessful.
Have checked the instruction on marklin site, also the video.
If i have understood well the fds file must be also updated, but, even if it exist on the tgz file, and gets unzipped by the CS2 in the pendrive, when i try to do the update, the CS2 seems to not recognize it since it doesnt appears in the directory to do the update, wich have not worked so far.
Anything i might be missing?
Cheers
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline 3rail4life  
#9 Posted : 16 August 2013 19:34:57(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hello Francisco,

I have had this problem too Cursing, not sure what causes it, most of the sound files work fine, but some of them have given me this problem where the firmware displays and updates fine but the sound program does not show up. What I have done to make it work, was to manually type in the name of the sound file with the .html extension in the search box when it did not show up in the update box, then proceeded to run the update and it worked fine.

Good luck,

Gordon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline franciscohg  
#10 Posted : 17 August 2013 20:18:19(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
And it did worked!!
Thanks for the tip
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline 3rail4life  
#11 Posted : 04 September 2013 01:42:59(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Yes it does workCool, had the problem again when changing a diesel 60946 to Dampf-Kabel profile and had to type in the file name in the last box in order to update the sound. It worked great, with the reset at the end, and mFX re-registered the decoder with the CS2 as the Dampf-Kabel with new icons and all. So it remains a mystery why the file name does not show up on some of the sound projects, but at least we have an easy workaround to get it done.

Cheers,

Gordon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline Shaggy  
#12 Posted : 09 September 2014 10:56:27(UTC)
Shaggy

Netherlands   
Sorry for crack open such an old topic, but I have a question about an update I have done last week myself. I'm using an MS2 myself but did an update at my local Märklin shop who has an CS2 in his store.

I added a E-lok mSD (60947) in my 3357 (BR 103 109-5) and updated it with the BR103 Soundfile from Maerklin.de. (the one from 5 October 2011 with the most sounds in it). After the update, of course, the Function mapping isn't done. The only FDS in the "mSD-Elektro-BR103.tgz" is "mSD-Soundtest.fds" and I don't think that should hold the correct FDS that I should use anyway for the BR103 functions.

What is it I should do best?
a) Change the icons myself at the CS2?
b) Do a trick with flashing some other FDS?
c) Build my own FDS with the Windows tool?
d) ..something else?
Greetings,
Peter.
Offline 3rail4life  
#13 Posted : 10 September 2014 00:12:19(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hi Peter,

You should be able to achieve good results with changing the icons on the CS2 and mapping the desired sounds to any unused aux outputs and sound function keys. Also remember to check the right box for momentsound or dauersound. With 15 available sounds you will have no trouble filling all the spots.Cool

enjoy,

Gordon