Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2013 11:26:28(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

http://www.qldrail.net/altkloster/46192load.jpg

When I purchased my Insider loco #37563, I also bought the optional freight car set #46192. This has loads of real wood, so it adds to my collection of timber and wood on flat cars and in gondolas. The timber is stacked in 3 gondolas of different designs, and is done quite properly as in the prototype, to ensure the loads do not move around in transit. A load of logs is also supplied on an Rr20 design stake car. In all, the loads are very nicely done. A sliding top Kmmk gondola rounds out the set. While earlier models by Marklin of this car had metal end platforms, the plastic version on this one seems flexible and robust, and will not readily break. The sliding tops are metal.

To evaluate the gondola loads, I made the following measurements of the 3 cut timber lengths:
diameter 3mm (10" or .26m)
length 1 - 18mm (5'2" or 1.56m)
length 2 - 25mm (7'2" or 2.17m)
length 3 - 30mm (8'7" or 2.61m)
A forum member may be able to give me further clues, but I can only assume these timbers were carried for pit props (coal mines), or for vineyard trellis material, fuel, or further manufacture (matches, toys, furniture, household building or general carpentry).

Hand assembly of these timber loads would have been quite time-consuming (I estimate 3 minutes using ready formed materials, and then glue drying time), and I wonder if they were done by machine, or perhaps on a conveyor basis, person to person.

Edited addition 6 August 2013 - I just noticed that it is impossible to remove the load of timber from the gondola. It is glued in very positively. Not sure that I like that, but some may see it as a positive.

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 06 August 2013 04:44:13(UTC)  | Reason: Added photo and altered text

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Marius in Africa  
#2 Posted : 26 April 2013 16:10:43(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Hi Kimball

A question: What is the item in the lower right hand corner of the picture, on the ballast of the C-track with the blue arrow on it?

Regards
Marius
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline poulmh  
#3 Posted : 26 April 2013 17:32:24(UTC)
poulmh

Denmark   
I think it is the mark on the contact track

/poulmh
#4 Posted : 13 May 2013 01:18:30(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: poulmh Go to Quoted Post
I think it is the mark on the contact track

/poulmh

Hi Marius,

Sorry for the delay, I had not seen your post till now.

Yes Poul is correct, it is track section #24995 sold by Marklin, as a pair. The rail on the side with blue arrow has a gap, to create an isolated section of ground (-) rail when you use two of them.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.