Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Lollo  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2013 00:27:57(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi all,

As I am going to set up some basic automated train control, I was looking at the Marklin Loco Magnets #7557. These are a set of three, and are quite expensive.
I searched the Web, and came across two suppliers,
http://apexmagnets.com/i...info&products_id=387
https://www.hkcm.de/prod...ducts_id=60284&dna=3

The magnets from hkcm.de are same dimensions as the Marklin #7557, @ 1.74 EUR each
The Apex magnets are slightly smaller but only 1.59mm thick. I bought these as they are the cheapest @ $9.99 USD for a pack of 20.
These are very strong magnets, so not sure if they are stronger than the Marklin ones.
I will report on there use once I have tested them.

Has any one else tried an alternative to the Marklin magnets?

Cheers,
Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 10 March 2013 02:01:45(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Brian, There are quite a few of the Wgtn club members who have access to and have used alternates.
Peter
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2013 03:02:15(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Brian, There are quite a few of the Wgtn club members who have access to and have used alternates.

I'm using some magnets I got from the local 2$ shop. They fit underneath freight cars and will also fit in between the wheel axles on the bogie of a 28cm coach. They don't fit underneath some railcars that have a low slung body. For those I use the Marklin magnets which are a lot slimmer.

I usually attach the magnets with some hot glue.
Offline Tower  
#4 Posted : 10 March 2013 16:13:21(UTC)
Tower

Brian,

I bought a selection of magnets from my local electronic store, as well as having recovered them from fridge magnets, kids toys etc. This gives me a range of "strengths" To avoid glue, I always couple one of my metal box cars directly behind my loco and position the magnet accordingly on this box car, sometimes using metal washers to achieve the correct level of the magnet.

I experiment a lot with the magnets to achieve the right result, all my reed switches are "Left Handed" i.e. they are only triggered by magnets on the left hand side of the car.

Regards

Leon

Offline aos  
#5 Posted : 10 March 2013 18:13:06(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
while on the subject of magnets, has anyone found a viable alternative to the Marklin reed switch? Alan
Offline kbvrod  
#6 Posted : 10 March 2013 18:37:33(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: aos Go to Quoted Post
while on the subject of magnets, has anyone found a viable alternative to the Marklin reed switch? Alan

Hi Alan,all,

https://www.google.com/search?q=...irefox-a&channel=rcs

Dr D

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 10 March 2013 20:39:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: aos Go to Quoted Post

Sure, Viessmann sell a reed switch similar to the Marklin one. All they are is a standard reed switch with a plastic cover over them. I've also used reed switches from local electronics suppliers - see the link Kevin posted. The only thing with them is that you can only bend the pigtails once, so make sure you bend it in the right place. Try to bend the pigtail again, and you will break the glass part of the switch.
Offline Lollo  
#8 Posted : 19 March 2013 13:10:08(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi all,

I received my magnets from Apexmagnets. They are perfect as loco magnets. I mounted them using a double sided tape with the sponge backing.
I got some reed switches from Jaycar, and just set up one block for now using existing home made breaking modules already running under manual control.
It works great. Now my signals in that block operate prototypicaly. The reed switches activate reliably at any speed.
So far with just the one block automated, I can run two loco's stopping and starting each other. No more tail enders.
I will set up another block tomorrow.

Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Lollo
Offline hqstu  
#9 Posted : 21 March 2013 10:23:44(UTC)
hqstu

New Zealand   
Be aware that the magnet could have an unwanted side effect of magnetising some turnout rails and they could "stick" in the wrong position with less than ideal outcomes. I had this using the strong magnets and reed switches from Jaycar on M track, may not be such an issue with C or K.
Cheers

Stuart
New Zealand
Offline Lollo  
#10 Posted : 21 March 2013 11:19:42(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: hqstu Go to Quoted Post
Be aware that the magnet could have an unwanted side effect of magnetising some turnout rails and they could "stick" in the wrong position with less than ideal outcomes. I had this using the strong magnets and reed switches from Jaycar on M track, may not be such an issue with C or K.

The position is critical as far as height goes. The magnets can be in the middle of the loco, but not too close to the track, as I have found out.
Steam loco's have plenty of clearance, it is the diesels that were the problem, until I mounted them in a more suitable area with more clearance.
So far no problems getting stuck.

I put the reed switches in for the second block, and all works perfectly. So far 3 trains running, stopping & starting automatically.

Cheers,
Brian.
Brian
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 22 March 2013 00:34:29(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

Stu is right, I've had this happen on the M track part of my layout. I haven't got around to wiring up the C track part of the layout with reeds as yet, so I don't know what will happen with C track.
Offline Lollo  
#12 Posted : 22 March 2013 01:53:39(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Stu is right, I've had this happen on the M track part of my layout. I haven't got around to wiring up the C track part of the layout with reeds as yet, so I don't know what will happen with C track.

Hi Bigd,

I am using C track. A BR86 & a V160 both got stuck on points due to the magnet too close. The V160 I could re-mount the magnet with more clearance, but the BR86 does have much room else where. Might have to have a wagon with a magnet.
Apart from that no other problems.
The magnets I am using are quite strong, so they don't need to pass over the reed switch with exact alignment.

Cheers,
Brian.
Brian
Offline Chook  
#13 Posted : 22 March 2013 02:25:27(UTC)
Chook

Australia   
Gents, back in the "old days" I used to service audio equipment and degaussing tape heads was part of that service.
Essentially the audio tape heads would become magnetised and lose some of their bandwidth. I have a hand wand which is connected to the mains supply which emits an alternating magnetic field at the tip. This was then placed next to the head and that field destroyed any residual magnetic effects within the head.
These wands may still be available to correct your magnetised point problems.

Regards.....Chook.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 27 July 2014 07:59:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Chook Go to Quoted Post
These wands may still be available to correct your magnetised point problems.

Hmmm, must see if my demagnetiser still works!
Offline PMPeter  
#15 Posted : 02 December 2014 18:39:38(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Has anyone had a problem with the loco magnets pulling up the points on the older style K turnouts with pre-attached solenoids? I am finding that several of these turnout points will lift up towards the magnet and generally will either cause the locomotive to be stuck and spinning or cause a short. I have now repositioned a number of my magnets so that the wheels will hold the points down as the magnet crosses the point, but that is obviously only a one-way solution.

I do not have this problem with the newer style K turnouts with the detachable solenoids or C track turnouts.

Any suggestions other than a weaker magnet which I have already tried with no success at the reed switches?

Cheers
Peter
Offline zscalehobo  
#16 Posted : 26 March 2015 01:55:14(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
All:

Not sure if related to larger scales, but I have access to the following reed magnets and switch, official Marklin products brand new from dealer stock:
Marklin 7555 Contact Reed Switch for Track (4 available)
Marklin 7556 Magnet for Locomotives, Package of 6 (low clearance) (3 available)
Marklin 7557 Magnet for Locomotives, Package of 3 (high clearance) (4 available)
Marklin 7558 Magnet for Rolling Stock (3 available)
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com