Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnalexander16  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2013 16:31:12(UTC)
johnalexander16

South Africa   
Dear Forum

All my MFX trains run well with the Central Station. The sounds works well except the option to have squealing brakes. I have heard that this is an issue with the Central station. I believe there are settings for example the trim, speed steps etc but not sure exactly what to do.

Any ideas on how to turn on the squealing noise option using Central station ?

Looking forward to any feedback

Best wishes

John
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2013 17:12:22(UTC)
H0

CS2, I presume?
Reduce the braking delay of the CS2 (click on the wrench to get to the properties dialogue).

See also:
https://www.marklin-user...or-39022.aspx#post307100
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline johnalexander16  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2013 17:59:04(UTC)
johnalexander16

South Africa   
Hi thanks for reply. I will follow up on the thread that you pointed out. The CS is 1 not a number 2.
Offline nevw  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2013 21:52:53(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Same Thing.

However on the function Buton for squeeling brakes it must be turn on. Default is OFF.

Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline jeehring  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2013 22:06:25(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post
Same Thing.

However on the function Buton for squeeling brakes it must be turn on. Default is OFF.

Nev

that's the trick, probably ! (it is now written on every catalog descriptions of mfx models....)
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 05 February 2013 23:39:36(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post
No, it's the other way around: the function is "squealing off". No squealing with function on, squealing with function off.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 05 February 2013 23:43:34(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: johnalexander16 Go to Quoted Post
The CS is 1 not a number 2.
Then forget my note about the braking delay. The CS2 has a so-called "software braking delay" that may prevent the squealing sound, but the CS1 doesn't.

With CS1 it's "sound on, drive fast, brake hard".
The squealing brakes symbol can change between "speaker" and "X". Sound is off when you see the X besides the brakes.

With software 2.0.4 and later you can set the speed to 0 by touching the right spot on the screen. Best way to get the squealing sound.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline johnalexander16  
#8 Posted : 06 February 2013 09:29:59(UTC)
johnalexander16

South Africa   
Okay now I have managed to make the brakes Squeal. To confirm I have the CS1 Central Station. What I did was turn OFF the brakes sound option. Then I increased the deceleration delay option under Advanced settings for the loco. I also set the braking delay to around 10km/h speed.

I ran loco at around 40km/h then reduced the speed to lower than 10km/h, usually to 0 km/h. Due to the increased deceleration delay the loco takes longer to come to a standstill and as the loco reduces speed past 10km/h the brakes squealed !

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

John
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by johnalexander16
Offline EDWARD CULLIVER  
#9 Posted : 16 October 2014 07:37:11(UTC)
EDWARD CULLIVER

Hello everyone,

I have just purchased a 60215 CS2 after 33 years of the original digital system (6020) and a new 39052 steamer. I have to say that I am very disappointed with this brake squeal. I have tried more than 40 times with all kinds on delay settings with the brake squeal button on and off, and only heard the squeal 2 times. I can not reliably get the sound to work. The 2 times it did work, I changed speed to zero suddenly from very high speed.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by EDWARD CULLIVER
H0
Offline PMPeter  
#10 Posted : 16 October 2014 16:39:09(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Likewise. I have the same experience. I have only got the sound to work once with my new 60215 once I quickly went from 75% speed to 0 speed. Otherwise it does not come on.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
H0
Offline surfarn  
#11 Posted : 20 October 2014 20:27:53(UTC)
surfarn

I have the same problem with my old locos. but I bought a new diesel (37907), and the break squeal working fine. maybe it is in the older locos the problem is?

Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 20 October 2014 20:54:16(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: surfarn Go to Quoted Post
maybe it is in the older locos the problem is?
It's rather a CS2 configuration problem.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Lilja  
#13 Posted : 30 April 2016 17:46:48(UTC)
Lilja

Sweden   
I have a problem to find were to lower the setpoint speed, from were the brake squiling acktivtets. As it is now, the loc has to run from a high speed and then be set to a low speed quickly, to activete the brake sound. I do not have to run other locs at that high speed, to activet the brake sound. I have a CS2 controller and a MSD decoder. I would be glad if anyone knows the solution.

Hans
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Lilja
Offline kimballthurlow  
#14 Posted : 02 May 2016 01:42:41(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Lilja Go to Quoted Post
I have a problem to find were to lower the setpoint speed, from were the brake squiling acktivtets. As it is now, the loc has to run from a high speed and then be set to a low speed quickly, to activete the brake sound. I do not have to run other locs at that high speed, to activet the brake sound. I have a CS2 controller and a MSD decoder. I would be glad if anyone knows the solution.

Hans

Hi Hans,
I have that same problem.
Most of my locos have quite extended acceleration and braking delays.
The settings appear to be random, as squeal occurrs in some when in the last slowing to stop.
However one loco (39393) squeals for the complete braking sequence, which is annoying.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline 3rail4life  
#15 Posted : 02 May 2016 06:48:50(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hi All,

I have had good results setting the threshold for brake squealing by adjusting the value of CV 64 on the mSD decoder using the CS2, " The higher the value the sooner squealing begins, the lower the value the the later the squealing begins. if the value is too low, no squealing is activated".

It seems to be pretty easy to play around with until you find the value that suits your locomotive best.

Cheers,
Gordon

thanks 10 users liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline Minok  
#16 Posted : 05 May 2016 22:00:05(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: 3rail4life Go to Quoted Post
Hi All,

I have had good results setting the threshold for brake squealing by adjusting the value of CV 64 on the mSD decoder using the CS2, " The higher the value the sooner squealing begins, the lower the value the the later the squealing begins. if the value is too low, no squealing is activated".

It seems to be pretty easy to play around with until you find the value that suits your locomotive best.

Cheers,
Gordon

That seems to be the right approach (though I've not tested it yet on my locomotives), as a post from the WinDigiPet forum describes:

The threshold of the "brake squeal feature" in mfx decoders is controlled via CV64, typically defaulted to the value 07.
As the speed is reduced on the locomotive, once it hits and crosses below the threshold value, the brake squeal is active, all the way down to speed value 0 (it turns off at 0).
The key is the decoder needs to be operating in the range 1-<CV64 value> for the squeal to be played back. Valid values are 01 up to 63.

Issues can result from the speed value never hitting a value in the range of 1 to <CV64>. For example, if the default 07 value is in CV64, if your braking control/signal causes the locomotive's speed values to be driven such that it jumps from 8 straight to 0 (never having a value in the 1-7 range) then the squeal is never emitted. Likewise, if the minimal speed of the locomotive is set to >7, the train will never be in the speed range to trigger the squeal.

My thoughts to add (but not verified with actual experiment):
The squeal would also only play back while the speed is in the range between 0 and the threshold, so if its in that gap for 1/16th of a second you won't hear much.

I suspect you also have to be slowing as well, so if you are slowing down and then stay at the same speed, the module will not keep squealing while the locomotive rolls along at 5 constant.

So getting the sound is a combination of the braking profile (how the decoder changes speed to 0 when you tell it to go to 0, or how you externally drive the speed to 0) and what the threshold to activate the sound is.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 05 May 2016 22:16:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
The threshold of the "brake squeal feature" in mfx decoders is controlled via CV64, typically defaulted to the value 07.
The default value is 7 for ESU decoders (range 1 to 63) and 55 for Märklin decoders (range 0 to 255, range 0 to 63 for MM programming).

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0