Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hennabm  
#1 Posted : 06 January 2013 11:31:47(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

Reading through several other threads on the forum, my first question has been answered - is this a common problem - the answer - YES.RollEyes

I have had three or four stored for years (in their boxes) that I obtained second hand many years ago. When getting them out their boxes and looking at them the bases of all of them have warped, making them useless on the two middle buttons.Cursing Cursing

So now do I buy new 7072s or what do other people use instead with better(?) results?Confused

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 06 January 2013 12:19:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Mike,

You could just get some more 7072 from ebay, they are quite cheap. When they are screwed down to a control panel they will not warp.

Alternatively, the new version of these boxes is the 70729, which works with the old style plugs, or the 72720 which uses the new style plugs. There is also the 7272 which is no longer in production for the old style plugs.

Another option is the Viessmann 5549, which is very similar, and will also work with older Marklin plugs.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline petestra  
#3 Posted : 06 January 2013 12:25:55(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Mike, I wondered where you might have had them stored? Possibly dampness caused this problem?
I have had most of mine from 60s to early 70s and no problems. Then in the mid 70s to mid 80s they
were in storage during my "sowing my wild oats years". Anyway, M now makes 70729 (page 290 of
new catalog). It uses the old plugs too. I have also found some on ebay. Hope this helps.
PeterSmile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline hennabm  
#4 Posted : 06 January 2013 12:49:58(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Ray and Peter

Thanks for the feedback.

They were stored in the loft with the other ones, so why they warped I don't know. I suspect they were on their way when I got them in a job lot of M stuff and I didn't check them out to begin with.

Looks like I will be back on ebay.de LOL

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Johnvr  
#5 Posted : 07 January 2013 12:03:53(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
My ones warped in the garage layout from the heat coming through the roof.
I use my own switches from the electrical shop now, using a peg-board to hold them.BigGrin

Regards,BigGrin
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline BrandonVA  
#6 Posted : 07 January 2013 17:43:10(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Mike,

It probably won't match the vintage feel of your layout, but I have both 7072 and 7272 on my layout. I must say, from an operational perspective I like 7272 better (and other similar boxes with square buttons). The buttons are easier to push (especially for children, but that may not be a concern for you), and they do not get stuck as they sometimes do with the 7072. Of course, I have taken apart a few of my 7072 and worked on them to keep them from binding. The problem is, when it happens sometimes you fry a switch motor if you don't immediately notice due to running louder trains :)

None of my 7072 are warped, but I do see them this way on eBay a lot, it's a common problem. I think (no proof), the older 7072 with the silver label holders were more prone to warpning than the slightly newer 7072 that just had a sticker for labels (I have the latter).

You could also look for 70729, which has the square buttons but the more traditional blue colour. It receives the old plugs as well, and is still made by Marklin if you want to buy new.

Anyway, either can be found on eBay...I find sometimes sets will pop up, they usually go for a better price than individuals.

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline hennabm  
#7 Posted : 07 January 2013 23:50:31(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Brandon

I've looked at 7272 boxes and I like the looks of them. I don't think they'll look out of place on my control panel.ThumpUp

Oh well back to ebay.de.RollEyes

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Ian555  
#8 Posted : 08 January 2013 08:39:43(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Mike,

Where are you locating the control panel.

Ian.

Offline hennabm  
#9 Posted : 08 January 2013 20:25:08(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Ian

The control panels will each be attached to the rear of each large module.

They will consist of several 7072s as well as 7211 and 7070s. There will also be 3 x 30va trafo and one 10va trafo on each panel as well as a 6611 for each module as well.

These will be detachable for storage etc and will mean the the control panels can be stored dry and warm.

I think I should have enough power feeding it with that lot.LOL

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline danmarklinman  
#10 Posted : 08 January 2013 20:38:15(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post
Hi all

Reading through several other threads on the forum, my first question has been answered - is this a common problem - the answer - YES.RollEyes

I have had three or four stored for years (in their boxes) that I obtained second hand many years ago. When getting them out their boxes and looking at them the bases of all of them have warped, making them useless on the two middle buttons.Cursing Cursing

So now do I buy new 7072s or what do other people use instead with better(?) results?Confused

Mike

Hi Mike try useing a heat gun on the base to push it all back! i had the same problem and it solved it. Ps text me the date of your little show this year! cheers happy new year Dan
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline hennabm  
#11 Posted : 08 January 2013 20:43:21(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Dan

ThanksThumpUp

Nice tip - I will try it and let you know.Unsure

Text on its wayThumpUp

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Ian555  
#12 Posted : 09 January 2013 14:53:53(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Mike,

Looking forward to pushing your buttons in July then....LOL

Ian.

Offline Mike863  
#13 Posted : 29 August 2013 02:07:30(UTC)
Mike863

United States   
Hi all,

After a couple months of accumulating, I started testing. I found some of my 7072s were warped so bad that the center buttons did not work. My brother had good luck dunking a warped Bahia box in hot water and carefully bending it back to where it would stick properly in the cradle again. I used a heat gun on the 7072s. Sometimes they are cheap on Ebay but the current batch on offer aren't and I want them ready for some temporary layout building for this holiday weekend anyway. I used the heat gun on low setting to heat the whole box bottom and especially the center. Then I pressed the box flat to get rid of the overall twist and pressed down inside the center on the brass with a screwdriver to flatten everything. Might help to prop one end up on a small piece of wood to allow the center to push a little below flat. Might need a couple of tries. The top can be done the same way but needs to just be untwisted. Avoid pressing down in the center as you might mess up the overall alignment of the buttons and they won't toggle and pop the way they should. Don't overheat. It seems the plastic wants to contract and shrink when heated. Overheating is probably what warped these in the first place. There were a couple that I had to use a round file to open up the button holes to get them to move freely again.

Opening the box, removing the buttons, closing up and heating the whole thing to twist back into shape did not work too well. The top shrank and needed a whole lot more attention later. I also seemed to get better as I went. Three of five are nearly as good as new (which was never all that great anyway), one is passable and the other is a bit iffy still for the center buttons. Back to shopping for a couple more.

Mike
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mike863
Offline hennabm  
#14 Posted : 29 August 2013 08:38:53(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply.ThumpUp

I gave up trying to straighten my warped ones and went to ebay.de and bought new.
When I looked to see if there was any way of recovering any "spares", I gave upSad

I hope you were successful in finding new onesThumpUp

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline BrandonVA  
#15 Posted : 29 August 2013 16:08:27(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Interesting with the heat gun experiment. Sometimes I have thought of leaving things in a sunny window to try and slowly work them back into shape...

Luckily I haven't had bad warping on 7072 units, but sometimes they need to be disassembled and worked on. While it adds to cost, I find that the newer style with the rectangular buttons (Marklin #7272, accepts the "old" style sockets, unlike some newer control boxes) are much more reliable, and also easier for children to operate if that is a concern to you.

-Brandon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline petestra  
#16 Posted : 29 August 2013 18:09:53(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Guess I've been lucky with this problem but I have lost a few over the years

from the metal piece breaking inside. This only happened twice and some of

mine date back to 1965. Peter Smile
Offline Webmaster  
#17 Posted : 31 August 2013 22:06:13(UTC)
Webmaster

Have several warped 7072's from my earlier days as a kid in the 60-70's... Don't have the heart to throw them away though....BigGrin
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#18 Posted : 01 September 2013 03:21:54(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Have several warped 7072's from my earlier days as a kid in the 60-70's... Don't have the heart to throw them away though....BigGrin

I have a bag full of them, at some stage I should list them on ebay, there always seem to be people wanting them even if only two of the buttons work. I like them because they are original Marklin but technically you could do so much better with some momentary switches you can buy at electronic shops.

Heat doesn't help at all but the problem is in the unstable plastic Marklin used on many items in those days which seem to expand to the early brown bridge pillars, several wagons, etc.