Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tulit  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2013 04:42:39(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
The 36809 prototype is of a privately owned V121 and was produced for 2006 as a MHI model. They can still be found for around 150 euro.

The models most noticeable feature is its size (or rather lack of) measuring only 7.4cm buffer to buffer. Despite its small size, it is still well detailed and and made primarily of metal including metal grab rails.
tulit attached the following image(s):
IMG_3497 (1024x683).jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by tulit
Offline tulit  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2013 04:48:06(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
The model features a more basic FX type decoder mounted inside the roof of the cab. Basic functions can be programmed like acceleration and braking delays.

Power is provided via a miniature (controlled high efficiency) motor to a worm drive. Both axles on this locomotive are powered. As you can see from the photo as well, the connection between the decoder and the motor (as well as power/return) is done via a series of copper spring contacts. This allows the locomotive to be split with no wires connecting the two halves. Care should be taken when putting it back together to ensure none of these are bent out of position.
IMG_3540 (1024x805).jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by tulit
Offline tulit  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2013 04:53:57(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Another unique feature of this locomotive is its method of obtaining traction. None of the four wheels are fitted with tires. Instead, two small magnets are mounted to the bottom of the locomotive and place parallel with the rails. This provides additional "down force" for the very light locomotive.

Unfortunately even with the magnets the locomotive still lacks much traction. You won't be able to pull more than one or two relatively light wagons at once on flat grades (forget about any gradients). The locomotive even sometimes has trouble gaining enough traction on it's own to make its way across turnouts (I've only tested on C-track).

Adding some weight to the inside of the locomotive itself, or possibly even trying to fit a single traction tire may help. I haven't experimented around with this too much.

The lack of pulling power/traction will limit its uses on your layout, but it still serves as a good switch engine.
IMG_3536 (1024x673).jpg
Offline tulit  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2013 04:55:29(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
The locomotive features all LED (white and red) headlights and markers that switch with direction.
IMG_3537 (1024x755).jpg
IMG_3538 (1024x683).jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by tulit
Offline tulit  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2013 04:58:27(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Some additional highlights of its detail
IMG_3534 (1024x664).jpg
IMG_3535 (1024x672).jpg
Offline kskato  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2013 05:27:51(UTC)
kskato

Thanks, nice pics and description of the model !
I gotta get me a Kof one of these days ...
Howard
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kskato
Offline elfangor103  
#7 Posted : 05 January 2013 05:32:53(UTC)
elfangor103

United States   
Originally Posted by: kskato Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, nice pics and description of the model !
I gotta get me a Kof one of these days ...
Howard

Same here!!!BigGrin Could always use another engine.

Daniel
Newly Started Analog Z Layout
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by elfangor103
Offline Danlake  
#8 Posted : 05 January 2013 05:42:35(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Thanks for detailed review and excellent photos.

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 05 January 2013 10:06:43(UTC)
H0

Hi,
Thanks for the review.
Originally Posted by: tulit Go to Quoted Post
The locomotive features all LED (white and red) headlights and markers that switch with direction.
The "white" lights are realized with yellow LEDs. Red rear lights are always on when "white" headlights are on, double A lights are not possible.
As tulit wrote: just a basic fx decoder of the 60760 class.

The magnets are just strong enough to lift a piece of 24077 C track, so the extra tractive effort gained by the magnets is just about the weight of that piece of track (magnets may be more efficient on M track, never tested).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 05 January 2013 10:25:16(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Thanks for the review, Tulit.

I would not have expected such a tiny loco to pull more than a couple of wagons. I have the slightly larger Kof III, and that can pull at least 5 wagons with ease, but I think it looks silly with a long train anyway! Smile

Your comment about the difficulty getting across turnouts is something I've experienced with small locos as well, and seems to be related to the springs on the slider being too strong. It just pushes the loco off the track on the higher "pukos".

Thanks again for posting such great information and lovely photos.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 05 January 2013 10:53:25(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I have the slightly larger Kof III, and that can pull at least 5 wagons with ease, but I think it looks silly with a long train anyway!
I've seen Köf II handling 30+ freight cars - something you cannot expect from those tiny models.
The engineer moved single box cars by hand sometimes, without attaching the Köf II. The 1:1 cars roll easily and stations are normally absolutely flat (and those small 3xx class diesels were not allowed to leave the stations anyway).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline tulit  
#12 Posted : 05 January 2013 21:27:15(UTC)
tulit

Canada   

I would not have expected such a tiny loco to pull more than a couple of wagons. I have the slightly larger Kof III, and that can pull at least 5 wagons with ease, but I think it looks silly with a long train anyway! Smile

Your comment about the difficulty getting across turnouts is something I've experienced with small locos as well, and seems to be related to the springs on the slider being too strong. It just pushes the loco off the track on the higher "pukos".

Hi Ray.

My problem with the turnouts in this case isn't so much derailment, rather the locomotive gets stuck spinning all four wheels. A little nudge from behind and off it goes again.
Offline tulit  
#13 Posted : 05 January 2013 21:32:16(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
Thanks for the review.
The "white" lights are realized with yellow LEDs. Red rear lights are always on when "white" headlights are on, double A lights are not possible.
As tulit wrote: just a basic fx decoder of the 60760 class.

The magnets are just strong enough to lift a piece of 24077 C track, so the extra tractive effort gained by the magnets is just about the weight of that piece of track (magnets may be more efficient on M track, never tested).

Hi Tom. I will go back and confirm again the operation of the lights. I thought they had full switch over, but I may be remembering incorrectly.
Interesting point as well. I wonder how the traction would be on M (tin versions?) or even K rail? Unfortunately I don't have enough of either right now to do a test like that.
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 06 January 2013 00:00:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

Hi Ray.

My problem with the turnouts in this case isn't so much derailment, rather the locomotive gets stuck spinning all four wheels. A little nudge from behind and off it goes again.

Yes, that's what I meant. It happens to me with two or three of my lightest locos.
Ray
Offline baggio  
#15 Posted : 26 May 2013 01:03:15(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Sorry to be a party pooper, BUT, is this loco REALLY worth 150 Euros? Sorry, but to me its seems almost a joke of nature. Cute to look at but basically useless.

Yes, now you can hit me. Wink

Hello from Toronto.

Silvano
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 26 May 2013 02:35:49(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
.....or possibly even trying to fit a single traction tire may help.....

You would need to fit grooved wheels, or have a groove machined into the existing wheels to be able to fit traction tyres.

An alternative might be to use a product called "Bullfrog Snot" (readily available in the US), which is a rubberised compound which you brush on to a locomotive's wheels while they are turning. Once the compound is dry, you then have a traction tyre. When it wears out, you repeat the process.

However, with such a small loco, I'd be worried that this might affect the proper grounding of the loco. You might end up fixing one running issue, but create another.

Edited by user 26 May 2013 08:37:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
tulitH0
Offline tulit  
#17 Posted : 26 May 2013 02:53:46(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
.....or possibly even trying to fit a single traction tire may help.....

You would need to fit grooved wheels, or have a groove machined into the existing wheels to be able to fit traction tyres.

An alternative might be to use a product called "Bullfrog Snot" (readily available in the US), which is a rubberised compound which you brush on to a locomotive's wheels while they are turning. Once the compound is dry, you then have a traction tyre. When it wears out, you repeat the process.

However, with such a small loco, I'd be worried that this might affect the proper grounding of the loco. You might end up fixing one running issue, but create another.

Yeah I think I've decided to essentially just leave it alone for now. I've been having much better luck with it lately not getting stuck.

Edited by moderator 26 May 2013 08:37:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tulit
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 26 May 2013 08:22:29(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
BUT, is this loco REALLY worth 150 Euros?
The RRP 2013 for this MHI loco is 159 Euros (incl. VAT). It's a 2006 model.
I got mine in 2008 for less than 100 Euros (incl. VAT) - and I think it is worth it.

This loco is a must-have for any serious collector of blue locos.

Two dealers still offer them NEW on eBay. One asks for the RRP, the other asks for even more. Don't wait too long to get a model - OTOH the dealers that still have it may reduce their prices some day ...

The Köf II was made by Märklin in dozens of liveries. The review is also useful if you're after another livery.
Future models include Telex and RRP is around 190 Euros.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#19 Posted : 26 May 2013 12:22:48(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Has anyone, apart from Tulit, made any tests for pulling power using one of these Kof IIs ?

I don't have any personal experience of this loco, but my Kof III easily pulls a train of 6 or so wagons, which is more or less standard for short freights on my layout. My long freights are 10 to 14 wagons, but I haven't tried my Kof III on one of those.

I remember several examples of members reporting that their new locos (of different types) cannot pull more than 2 or 3 wagons when I personally have witnessed my own locos of those types pulling many more wagons on a regular basis.

It would be useful if other members with a Kof II would take the time to test how many wagons their locos can pull.
Ray
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 26 May 2013 16:46:52(UTC)
H0

Here's a quote from the manual:
Quote:
In principle the pulling power for this model is limited. The maximum grade it can negotiate with 2 to 3 twoaxle freight cars is about 3 %.
Despite that, they sold trainsets with Köf II and two four-axle freight cars.

Even without grades, turnouts can be a problem even with short trains. So make sure the train gets enough speed before crossing turnouts.

I attach a picture of a Ka/Ks that was taken to the limits. It got that train going, but it came to a standstill with slipping wheels later on.
H0 attached the following image(s):
haertetest.jpg
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline tulit  
#21 Posted : 27 May 2013 02:10:56(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Sorry to be a party pooper, BUT, is this loco REALLY worth 150 Euros? Sorry, but to me its seems almost a joke of nature. Cute to look at but basically useless.

Yes, now you can hit me. Wink

Hello from Toronto.

Silvano

What practical use do ANY of our locomotives serve? They're there to collect, look at and play with (which this one meets I think). I've personally (as I'm sure you have as well) spent much more than this on a model locomotive that's equally "useless" ;)

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tulit
H0
Offline baggio  
#22 Posted : 27 May 2013 02:32:47(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Tulit:

You said:"Unfortunately even with the magnets the locomotive still lacks much traction. You won't be able to pull more than one or two relatively light wagons at once on flat grades (forget about any gradients). The locomotive even sometimes has trouble gaining enough traction on it's own to make its way across turnouts (I've only tested on C-track). "

Each and every locomotive I have can do all of the above without a problem. The only exception are the battery-operated ones that give me some issues on turnouts.

To me a a train is a toy, not an item of collection. It has to be fast, raggedy and capable of pulling a few wagons. If it cannot do any of the above it seems useless to me. Then again, I am not a collector.

As for the price of my locos, the most I have spent for each of two locos is $110 Euros. One was digital, brand new (36614, see below) ), and the other one about 50 years old (3035, see my avatar).

For very different reasons, they both turned out to be unsatisfactory. You may have seen my postings on point here in this forum.

I have been in this hobby for less than a year and have not had much luck with Marklin. Walthers so far has offered me better value for my money.

I do apologize if I have offended anyone by referring to this loco as useless.

Cheers.

Silvano

baggio attached the following image(s):
Marklin My World digital loco 36614.jpg
Offline tulit  
#23 Posted : 27 May 2013 02:37:14(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Hi, Tulit:

You said:"Unfortunately even with the magnets the locomotive still lacks much traction. You won't be able to pull more than one or two relatively light wagons at once on flat grades (forget about any gradients). The locomotive even sometimes has trouble gaining enough traction on it's own to make its way across turnouts (I've only tested on C-track). "

Each and every locomotive I have can do all of the above without a problem. The only exception are the battery-operated ones that give me some issues on turnouts.

To me a a train is a toy, not an item of collection. It has to be fast, raggedy and capable of pulling a few wagons. If it cannot do any of the above it seems useless to me. Then again, I am not a collector.

As for the price of my locos, the most I have spent for each of two locos is $110 Euros. One was digital, brand new (36614, see below) ), and the other one about 50 years old (3035, see my avatar).

For very different reasons, they both turned out to be unsatisfactory. You may have seen my postings on point here in this forum.

I have been in this hobby for less than a year and have not had much luck with Marklin. Walthers so far has offered me better value for my money.

I do apologize if I have offended anyone by referring to this loco as useless.

Cheers.

Silvano

Hi Silvano. No offense taken! I'm just trying to put things in perspective (At least the way I see them). Every model isn't for everyone.

Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 27 May 2013 08:05:31(UTC)
H0

Hi!
It has to be fast
The Köf II is amongst the slowest locomotives that were ever made (with respect to Märklin and prototype).
It is slow, it is a weak puller, it is finely detailed and nice to look at - and it can pull a few cars around a layout.

If you're looking for fast, strong, and cheap locos, don't get a Köf II.

Many digital MRR fans look for locos that can drive really slow, but at a constant speed.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#25 Posted : 27 May 2013 10:42:31(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I remember we had a 3 axle steamer from Hornby (2rail) many years ago, no rubber tyres but the moment you've turned the power on, the wheels became magnetic.an other helper like a power battery would help you get across these turnouts (dead spot) and maybe there are wheels with a groove from a similar size wheel loco.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode