Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tulit  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2013 04:03:30(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
The Marklin 36606 is a BR 482 SBB CARGO model first introduced in 2010 from the my world series. Since it's from the my world series, its price was kept reasonable and can be found for around 115 euro. However, despite its lower price it is still completely constructed of metal and is reasonably detailed.
tulit attached the following image(s):
IMG_3498 (1024x663).jpg
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by tulit
Offline tulit  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2013 04:07:34(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
The locomotive features 4 mechanically operating pantographs, though like most modern Marklin models, they are no longer capable of drawing power. There's a fair amount of additional detail of vents as well as electrical busses and insulators although some of the colours and their scale seem a bit off.
IMG_3524 (1024x671).jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by tulit
Offline tulit  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2013 04:18:48(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Inside the locomotive has a FX decoder, the same which is found in many other of the 36xxx series locomotives.
The decoder is fairly basic but does allow programming of basic functions like acceleration and braking delay. The function output of the decoder is used to turn on/off the locomotives LED triple headlights. The lights will switch over with direction of the locomotive, but the rear lights will simply be off rather than turn red.

Power is provided by Marklins "special can motor" through two cardan shafts to both boogies which is surprisingly quiet and relatively smooth. All axles are driven with four having traction tires. I've shown it can pull relatively heavy and long trains up steeper (4%) gradients.

Marklin also provides an easy upgrade path for these locomotives to full MFX mSD sound decoders. By using the kit 60948 (can be found for around 75 euro) with it's special 21-pin carrier, one can swap out the included decoder with just a few solder joints. A spot on the bottom of the chassis is even provided for mounting of the speaker.
IMG_3532 (1024x922).jpg
IMG_3525 (1024x425).jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by tulit
Offline tulit  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2013 04:22:39(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
If upgrading the decoder, the locomotive also has NEM coupler pockets. This would lend itself well to adding telex couplers.

Overall a nice locomotive for the price that even advanced modellers I think will be able to appreciate.
IMG_3529 (1024x992).jpg
IMG_3528 (1024x680).jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by tulit
Offline kskato  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2013 06:02:29(UTC)
kskato

Thanks again. Your pics & reviews are clear & concise.
Keep'um coming !

Howard
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kskato
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2013 10:31:42(UTC)
H0

Hi,
Thanks for the review.
Originally Posted by: tulit Go to Quoted Post
Overall a nice locomotive for the price that even advanced modellers I think will be able to appreciate.
The model is not all bad. The RRP (2012) is € 129.95.
But it has yellow LEDs, a very basic decoder, the NEM pockets are far away from the loco (there is a replacement from M*, have to check if it's back in stock again).

I'm not willing to pay more than € 80 for what they have to offer. But that's a personal decision.
I bought TRAXX models from Roco or Trix for less than € 100 - no metal body, no yellow LEDs, not so many integrated details (separately applied details instead).
Another competitor is Piko - they offer old TRAXX models in their Hobby range and newer TRAXX models in their Expert range.

My review of the 36608 can be found here:
https://www.marklin-user...28-TRAXX-Locomotive.aspx
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 05 January 2013 10:40:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Thanks for the review Tulit.

I also find these Marklin locos good value, though they have gone up in price somewhat from the €80 or so that they originally cost.

I have the original version of this loco, in both SBB and DBAG colours, and they are the workhorses of my Era VI loco section.

Thanks for the great photos. ThumpUp
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 05 January 2013 11:25:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I like these TRAXX locos, and they can generally be picked up between 80 to 120 euros inc VAT. The fact that Marklin can produce models of this quality at these prices is very good. The 36850 Br185 was one of the first models I purchased back in 2005 when I was getting back into the Marklin hobby. At the time, I couldn't believe how cheap they were.

You have to be careful with the one piece led lights with cable as they seem to fail quite easily. I had one fail on my 36850, and I recently noticed a friend had 2 on his 36850, and one on another Marklin TRAXX loco. Since the early models, Marklin has now included plastic protectors to protect the lights from damage. I believe they are retro fittable, but I can't remember what the part no is.

Edited by user 05 January 2013 21:24:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kskato  
#9 Posted : 05 January 2013 19:02:08(UTC)
kskato

Yes, and be careful with cable- light ribbon- beleuchungseinheit with body removed on 36xxx's.
Don't be inept like me !

If I can describe this properly..
When I picked up loco with a 3- finger & thumb pinch, my index finger pressed down on light ribbon.
''Snapped'' in half like hundred year old plastic.
[And they are on yellow availability right now ]

Howard
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kskato
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 05 January 2013 20:11:45(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Thanks for the review and the nice photos.

I have the Maerklin 36606, the Roco 68506 and the Trix 22631. All three models represent the second series of Re 482 (482 035 to 482 049). The Maerklin and Roco models are factory AC. The Trix model is DC, but I hope to have it converted to AC this year.

I like the idea of Maerklin having a Hobby series for children. However, the Traxx series, along with the ES64U (Taurus) and a few other designs are rapidly becoming the standard locomotive types throughout Europe and elsewhere in the world. It would make sense to me that Maerklin should also have a regular model of this type of locomotive for more advanced modellers. I, personally, would not mind if Maerklin would market AC versions of the Trix locomotives, even though the shell is made of plastic.

Maerklin seems to have made the decision to offer these Hobby loks for a cheap(er) price, and to offer decoder upgrades and sound functions which bring these "Hobby" models up to the price of a regular model.
The MSRP for the 36606 is EUR 129,95. Add to that the decoder with sound which lists at 99,95 and you have a lok with a price of 229,90, so you are getting a sound lok with minimal details for a similar price to fancier models.

Detail wise, the Roco and Trix models are more detailed than the Maerklin "Hobby" model. This includes more detailed lok body, parts like brake pads, pantographs, roof wiring, handrails and footsteps, and so on. The Roco and Trix models also come with standard 3 x white /2 x red lighting and white LEDs.

The Roco model comes with the "Flusterschleifer" which makes for a very quiet ride. The Trix lok has a mounting for the standard Maerklin slider (same as the Re 4/4II and Re 6/6 and presumably other models), so conversion should be relatively simple.

Here is a link to an earlier thread about the Re 482 models with some photos I posted a while back:
https://www.marklin-user...find=lastpost#post321354

One final thing to consider is that the original 36850/36851 had a MSRP of 89,95 when they were first released. The current models of the same series are now retailing with a MSRP of 129,95, which is quite a mark-up for entry level products.

I don't mind the Hobby loks for some consists. I use them with some freight trains made up of pretty basic cars. For the fancier passenger trains or more detailled freights, I much prefer the Roco or Trix models.
For the record, there are also models from RailTop and ACME, but I do not have any of those in my collection.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mmervine  
#11 Posted : 06 January 2013 01:36:48(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
It adds some cost to these loks, but I have used the following to upgrade the lights:

http://luessi.ch/shop/ca...h=2&products_id=2343

I recommend a LP4.0 as well. It is quite an improvement to have white Leds versus yellow. Also, this gives you the option for either Swiss lights or red rear lights.
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 06 January 2013 19:08:11(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Mark's suggestion to upgrade the lights using the Luessi kit will add an extra amount to the cost. I have also seen photos in some European photos of models where the Maerklin roof wiring was replaced by similar parts from Roco or ACME models. I guess that you could use the generic 8 pin loksound decoder for Traxx loks with the Luessi interface, which would replace the need for the MsD decoder, but the end price would still add over 100 EUR to the MSRP of 129,99.

Regards

Mike C
Offline RayF  
#13 Posted : 06 January 2013 20:25:49(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Given that it was always intended as a "Hobby" model and the body is lacking in many details, I would not consider it worthwhile to spend another €100+ on any of these.

I'm quite happy to run these locos as they come from the factory.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline seruhyo  
#14 Posted : 26 November 2013 14:35:05(UTC)
seruhyo

Spain   
Hi

I have some questions about my BR482 SBB Cargo.

First for all, I apollogice for my english, it's basic.

Down the loco I can see a ref. number: H7304645, it is a SBB Cargo 482 011-4 and I lost the specifications document, but I think is AC Digital with 3 positiver connector under the Boggie.

Well, I have a HO DC circuit and I want to know, if it's possible, How can I convert this locomotive to DC analog?

I know, the axis isn't isolated electrically and I need to do it to work on DC line, but the motor and the decoders Is it necessary to change or eliminate?

I need to know how can I convert thi loco to work in DC analog circuit.

Thanks

Sergio
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 26 November 2013 16:30:36(UTC)
H0

Hi,
And welcome to the forum.
Originally Posted by: seruhyo Go to Quoted Post
I know, the axis isn't isolated electrically and I need to do it to work on DC line, but the motor and the decoders Is it necessary to change or eliminate?
The loco you have is Märklin 36851, so it's a bit off topic here.
The loco has plastic axles and a DC motor, so conversion to DC is not too complicated. But I think the decoder does not support DC analogue, so you have to replace the decoder. The decoder board also contains the resistors for the LEDs.

You can buy Re 482 from Trix, Piko, or Roco. Maybe avoid the hassle of conversion and get a new (or used) DC loco instead.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline danmarklinman  
#16 Posted : 28 November 2013 18:47:34(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Given that it was always intended as a "Hobby" model and the body is lacking in many details, I would not consider it worthwhile to spend another €100+ on any of these.

I'm quite happy to run these locos as they come from the factory.

I'm with you on this oneBigGrin I like these locos, there not as detailed as the more up market models. but they still look ok with older Marklin wagons and can look good weathered, as I have done. It's sold out at Marklin but the Euro cargo rail 186 appears to have greater paint detail than others, to reflect the 186 difference with the 185. The 186 is a basic model and should be made by Marklin as a detailed model. But for know it will do as a cheap version and I may get the ECR version if I can get hold of one!
danmarklinman attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline seruhyo  
#17 Posted : 01 December 2013 20:58:54(UTC)
seruhyo

Spain   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
And welcome to the forum.
The loco you have is Märklin 36851, so it's a bit off topic here.
The loco has plastic axles and a DC motor, so conversion to DC is not too complicated. But I think the decoder does not support DC analogue, so you have to replace the decoder. The decoder board also contains the resistors for the LEDs.

You can buy Re 482 from Trix, Piko, or Roco. Maybe avoid the hassle of conversion and get a new (or used) DC loco instead.

Hi and thanks for all, only I have one question:

Inside the Loco Märklin 36851, the Electronic have the number 610761 ( http://wiki.3rail.nl/ind...A4rklin_610761_Decoder). The photo is this.[img]null[/img]http://wiki.3rail.nl/index.php/M%C3%A4rklin_610761_Decoder

If do you say the Motor of loco is DC, and the axis can be isolate properly, this decode can be work in DC without problem? Only I want the lights works in function of the direction of locomotive (white in front and red in rear).

I'm looking for the datasheet of this decoder, but I don't find it.

If I need to change the decoder to DC analog, Where I can buy it? And How much can be cost? What consist the change process? Only changing the Electronic Circuit?

Thanks.
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 01 December 2013 21:24:04(UTC)
H0

If I need to change the decoder to DC analog, Where I can buy it?
The decoder of a Märklin TRAXX will not work with DC AFAIK. The decoder of a Trix TRAXX loco will work with DC.

You can buy Märklin 60949 (RRP €99.99): you get a sound decoder that supports DC, but loco keeps yellow LEDs. Trix TRAXX would be cheaper.
You can buy a decoder PCB from e.g. Modellbau Schönwitz for € 30. Warmwhite LEDs are included, decoder has to be bought separately (about €30). You'll have white LEDs - but Trix TRAXX may still be cheaper.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Harvey  
#19 Posted : 09 December 2013 00:19:21(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Inside the locomotive has a FX decoder, the same which is found in many other of the 36xxx series locomotives.
The decoder is fairly basic but does allow programming of basic functions like acceleration and braking delay. The function output of the decoder is used to turn on/off the locomotives LED triple headlights. The lights will switch over with direction of the locomotive, but the rear lights will simply be off rather than turn red.

Power is provided by Marklins "special can motor" through two cardan shafts to both boogies which is surprisingly quiet and relatively smooth. All axles are driven with four having traction tires. I've shown it can pull relatively heavy and long trains up steeper (4%) gradients.

Marklin also provides an easy upgrade path for these locomotives to full MFX mSD sound decoders. By using the kit 60948 (can be found for around 75 euro) with it's special 21-pin carrier, one can swap out the included decoder with just a few solder joints. A spot on the bottom of the chassis is even provided for mounting of the speaker.

Tulit, thanks for this information. As I want to learn how to install decoders and do want this loc, it seems like a good solution. One question, per the Marklin catalogue, 60948 is preset for diessel where as 60949 is preset for electric (sound). Is your reference to 60948 an oversight or is there a specific reason for referring to decoder

Regards

Harvey
Offline tulit  
#20 Posted : 09 December 2013 01:12:47(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Harvey Go to Quoted Post

Tulit, thanks for this information. As I want to learn how to install decoders and do want this loc, it seems like a good solution. One question, per the Marklin catalogue, 60948 is preset for diessel where as 60949 is preset for electric (sound). Is your reference to 60948 an oversight or is there a specific reason for referring to decoder

Regards

Harvey

You're correct. 60949 will have the elok sounds loaded on it.

Offline mike c  
#21 Posted : 10 December 2013 05:38:17(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The idea of buying a hobby lok for say EUR 129 and then adding a sound decoder to it means that you are paying almost the same amount for a hobby model with a few additional features that you would for any normal collection item.

The 36606 does not have the level of detail of the Trix 22631 nor of Roco's 68506. For the money, you are probably better off getting either the Trix model and converting it to AC with sound or buying the Roco model and adding a 21 pin Loksound decoder.

I have all three models. I have not yet gotten around to converting the Trix model to AC, but it is in the plans.
Both the Maerklin and Trix models have the same lok number 482 046.
The Roco and Trix models have red taillights and bright white LEDs. The Maerklin one has the standard yellow LEDs.
The Roco and Trix models both have plastic shells on metal frames. The added detail offsets the fact that the shells are not metal.

Regards

Mike C