Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Larry  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2012 18:19:08(UTC)
Larry

United States   
I really like the Hohenzollernbrücke, the huge railroad bridge in Cologne that spans the Rhine. When I was last in Germany I visited the bridge and Cologne as my daughter was studying at the University of Cologne. We had a great time. It was Thanksgiving in the US but the university had a big turkey dinner for us in a old German bar and restaurant. Much Gemütlichkeit was felt.

I looked and Maerklin offers an HO bridge that could model the entry and exit bridge portions but then I have not found one that could model the larger center portion of the Hohenzollernbrücke. It would be quite costly to buy 6 let alone 9 sections to complete the whole bridge. I estimate 6 sections would cost around $240 US and for 9 it would be $360 US. However, by Maerklin standards this could be considered a minor investment! It would also even when placed on a large layout look a bit disproportionate compared to the rest of the layout even though the scales would be correct.

Below is a source of a pic of the Hohenzollernbrücke (Wikipedia). You will note that there is an image in the lower left part of the pic next to and under the bridge. It looks like something submerged underwater. This has been discussed under the Prototype thread. Based on the comments received at this time, I have concluded that it is not a photographic reflection, a UFO or the next Maerklin museum for Insiders but actually Angela Merkle's secret underwater vacation "get away" home. I have no intention of trying to model her underwater home on my layout!

http://upload.wikimedia....e_K%C3%B6ln_von_oben.jpg

Anyone who has any thoughts on modeling the bridge or actually has done so? (Pics would be great.) Of course, that then leads to modeling the train station and cathedral which has never been finished and could take over several lifetimes! Yikkes. BigGrin

Thanks,

Larry

Offline NS1200  
#2 Posted : 28 November 2012 20:44:33(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Larry,

A total of 9 classic Maerklin bridges would do the trick,be it that the bridges have single track,not double track as for the prototype.
I have this dream of building a small layout focussing on the bridge spanning the river as a larger portion of the layout with on the left side a portion of the station and a proper model of the Dom behind it.
I looked for a proper scale model of the Dom in Cologne last weekend but have not seen it.
Whilst at the IMA fair,on another floor there was a big Lego get together,with an impressive model of the Dom and Cologne station.will post some pixs,the thing was huge!
The two spikes of the Dom are 157 mtrs high,in H0 scale that is 1.80 mtrs (180 cm),a real challenge indeed.
The station is typically sixties style,with a large vertical glass front.
Inside the station it is surprisingly roomy,with a lot of shops and small restaurants evenly spread,also in the alleyways under the platforms.
I have no idea whether a H0 model of the Koln Hbf station exists.
The track entries into the station are short curved,in particular the entry from the bridge,i dare to say that Maerklin standard curves would do fine in that respect.

Cheers,
Paul.
NS1200 attached the following image(s):
IMG_2784.jpg
IMG_2782.jpg
IMG_2783.jpg
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline Yumgui  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2012 20:58:01(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Originally Posted by: Larry Go to Quoted Post
... but actually Angela Merkle's secret underwater ...

Hahaha, I read : "Angela Merkle's secret underwear ..." LOL

Seriously though, I agree with Paul that nine M* bridges would be close ... and you can find 7163 from '57 to '69 (metal and not plastic bridges) for as low as €20.00 each, or €180.00 for nine of them ... have found six so far myself. All you need is patience ... ^^

Yum ThumpUp
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
Offline NS1200  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2012 21:02:23(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
May i also recommend an excellent book on the Dom in Cologne,its building history,and its countless details inside and outside:

The Cologne Cathedral by Arnold Wolff,ISBN 3-922442-38-2.

I purchased this book at Cologne for Euro 20.-.
It holds magnificant photographs,also of the artworks inside.

If you intend to build the Dom in scale 1/87,this is your book!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline Western Pacific  
#5 Posted : 28 November 2012 21:40:02(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
This bridge has fascinated me as well.

An observation on the photo you linked to: There used to be a road bridge on the up-stream side and that is why the statue is located so far away from the bridge. I you look closely you can actually see tram tracks still on the ground for some 50 (?) metres leading almost up to where the road bridge was.

The bridge and access road on the left bank (near Köln Hauptbahnhof and the Cathedral).

Landfästet i väster Hohenzollernbrücke

The road bridge was never re-built after WWII.

The down-stream double track railway bridge is a recent addition from the late 1980-ies, so depending on what era you would like to show there could be various solutions.

Between WWI and WWII the bridge would have a road section and two sections with two tracks each. In addition there would be the tower structures at each end of the bridge and at the pillars. During the reconstruction phase after WWII a walking bridge and double track railway bridge and the remaining two tracks under construction. 1960-ies to the mid 1980 walking bridge and two sections with two tracks each.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Western Pacific
Offline Ausipeet  
#6 Posted : 28 November 2012 23:11:35(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
would this sort of structure be what you are after ?
Made this for my layout and am in the process of making second structure.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ausipeet
H0
Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 29 November 2012 02:05:32(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
I really like the Hohenzollernbrücke, the huge railroad bridge in Cologne ....
Anyone who has any thoughts on modeling the bridge or actually has done so? (Pics would be great.) Of course, that then leads to modeling the train station and cathedral which has never been finished and could take over several lifetimes! Yikkes. BigGrin

Thanks,

Larry

Hi Larry,

Forget the modelling, that is a lifetimes work, or best left to a museum.

However a plausible attempt to include a similar scene on a model train set would be to combine the readily available Marklin 74636 with the Vollmer 2553 in multiple. It would be to individual taste, as to how the set up might look best symmetry wise. http://vollmer-online.de/en/articles/art_2553.html

Both these bridge models are excellent, and feature the "through" style of curved arch, but unlike the Cologne example, are not high enough to make the top cross bracing complete to the ends.

My layout features 2 of the Marklin 74636, not spectacular, but interesting.
http://www.qldrail.net/altkloster/bridgecatenarymast-800-2.jpg

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#8 Posted : 29 November 2012 02:22:56(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
I would like to and 9 of the metal Marklin arched bridges would an acceptable compromise but even then the scale of the project will require such a large layout that few people would be able to have. The cost of the bridges would also be irrelevant compared to all the other parts you'll need to provide suitable surroundings that would make the set up look right.
Offline NS1200  
#9 Posted : 29 November 2012 20:32:35(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
I think it can be done.
3 M standard bridges means a length of 3 x 36 cm equals a length of 108 cm,a bit more than 3 feet.
Putting these slightly diagonal over the front half of the layout with the river passing straight under it gives ample space for the sharp curves left and right.
Sharp curves are okay because the prototype also has sharp curves from the bridge into the station.
On the left side there is no need to imitate a complete Cologne station,just a part will do.
From the back of the station hidden tracks could turn sharply right into a hidden station in the back.
Same thing on the right hand side,a tunnel could hide sharp curves going to the back.
Leaves us with the Dom (pronounce Dome),there is no need to build her in scale 1/87 with height 180 cm,half the height would be equally impressive.
All in all i think on a surface of 300 x 150 cm one could come a long way.
There is no need to imitate the 6 tracks going towards the bridges and the station with all the switches found in the prototype.
Leave the switches out and feed straight track into the station with a stopper at the end,hidden in the dark,the station is pretty dark anyway.
The hidden shadowstation in the back could take care of train exchanges.
Put some typical German office buildings on both riverbanks north of the bridge,and some typical tradional multifloor houses on the left bank south of the bridge.

Edited by user 30 November 2012 07:14:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline BrandonVA  
#10 Posted : 29 November 2012 23:30:02(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
It's a matter of taste, but if space is an issue you could cosider doing a scaled down "interpritation" instead of a close reecreation. Under this line of thought you would perhaps have 4 sections instead of six, or four track instead of six. Of course i think a close to true reproduction as you are discussing would be truely epic.

I wonder if any of the display model railway exhibts in Germany have a model of the Cologne bridge?

-Brandon
Offline Larry  
#11 Posted : 30 November 2012 20:35:13(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Thanks for all the great ideas and wonderful pics. As pointed out by Paul and others, I think construction of a fascimile of the bridge could be done successfully. Even the train station in Cologne could probably be done using other stations and a combination of buildings.

The major obstacle would be Der Dom, the cathedral. I have searched and there does not seem to be a model of it to be found that would be suitable. Interestingly, the Chinese do have a paper 3D puzzle model of it and it is on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...al-Germany-/251120941201

Another option is a similar cathedral. The one that looks closest to Der Dom to me with dual spires is St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York. There is also a 3D puzzle model of that cathedral which looks to me to be of better quality and more realistic than Chinese model of Der Dom. In fact, the dimensions seem quite favorable with a height of of 14 inches, length of 16 and width of 8. I am not sure what the dimensions are of my Faller Gothic Church but I believe it is much smaller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...&hash=item2c634fba79

Okay so if the 3D puzzle models are the best to be found perhaps an idea for realism is to place Der Dom, the bridge and station in a place on the layout furthest from the viewers. If far enough the paper 3D model of St. Patricks might look fairly realistic. The price of it is quite low, I believe it was consistenly priced below US $20.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts right now of such an ambitious project but I bet it could be well-done on a smaller more workable scale (4 or 6 bridge portions, etc.)

Of course, if the bridge is constructed, Der Dom and the station, there needs to be the Christmas market going on next to Der Dom in the adjacent square!

Thanks for your great ideas and insights,

Larry

Offline Mark5  
#12 Posted : 30 November 2012 22:59:54(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
[...text...]
Okay so if the 3D puzzle models are the best to be found perhaps an idea for realism is to place Der Dom, the bridge and station in a place on the layout furthest from the viewers. If far enough the paper 3D model of St. Patrick's might look fairly realistic. The price of it is quite low, I believe it was consistently priced below US $20.
[...text...]
Anyhow, those are my thoughts right now of such an ambitious project but I bet it could be well-done on a smaller more workable scale (4 or 6 bridge portions, etc.)
Of course, if the bridge is constructed, Der Dom and the station, there needs to be the Christmas market going on next to Der Dom in the adjacent square!

Hi Larry,

I think you have the right idea of putting the model further in the distance.... but it depends on what kind of realism you are looking for.
1:300 scale is much much smaller than 1:87, but yes, its a bigger building and distance away will give an illusion of perspective.
For $20 though, you might just have fun making it and seeing what it looks like in the distance, until you decide what looks best for you. It may look too out of place with the rest of your layout, too paper-like, but it depends again what kind of look you are going for. I'd say if it looks consistent with your overall design, then it could work for you. I keep thinking of layout projects as living things.... as long as you are using it and working with it, and then things begin to change.

The one thing, for me, that is very beautiful about the Cologne bridge is that the center span is taller and reaches higher.
You can see the silhouette of it in Paul's photo more easily:
UserPostedImage
It gives the bridge a very elegant symmetry, that would be lost by simply using 9 Marklin bridges. If you could find models with other spans that are taller, you could use that for the center span and the smaller spans in the middle and then air brush the whole thing in that lovely copper patina tone.

Best of luck and please do post photos for us to see, should your dream ever become a reality...
- Mark

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline christos563  
#13 Posted : 03 March 2015 18:28:21(UTC)
christos563

Greece   
Good afternoon from thessaloniki, HELLAS.

Some years ago Marklin presented the items 7063 and 7163. They are very old and a bit difficult to be found.

The bridge in the fifth photo is the models 7263 and 74636 that depict the Remagen bridge.

My Greetings, christos. And sorry for the edit.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by christos563