Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tiono  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2012 09:14:03(UTC)
tiono

United States   
Marklin #37462 was released in 2012, in SBB red livery depicting locomotive number 460 054-0 named "dreiländereck".
The Re 460 is surely a popular model of locomotive which had been released by many European MRR manufacturers, especially those catering to Swiss railway enthusiasts.
This Marklin locomotive has mfx decoder with sound, and LED lighting, but is still using the conventional Marklin's high-efficiency motor which emit the usual "whirring" noise. Not too loud, but also not as quiet as #37513.
The warm-white LEDs are a bit too dim. Marklin put a black plastic housing onto the LEDs to prevent "light bleed" between the white-LED and red-LED which are next to each other. This is a nice design, but need higher intensity LED, otherwise the result will be too dim.
The locomotive has four wheel with traction tires, the pulling power is excellent, and its metal-body left ample of room inside. I paid 194 euro, excluding VAT, which is considered as so-so, not really competitive, but I love metal-body locomotives and the robustness of Marklin's design.

Side view of the locomotive:
UserPostedImage

The cab and bogie, nicely detailed, with separately attached metal hand-rail
UserPostedImage

Letter printing is excellent even at the extruded body-patterns
UserPostedImage

Frontal view of the locomotive. Marklin included plastic parts to cover the spoiler if the coupler is not being used, so that it will look better resembling the prototype.
UserPostedImage

Another nice design by Marklin: the wipers, although was not attached seperately but moulded into the windscreen, but were printed black and moulded as two thin arms closely similar to the prototype.
The photo below compares Marklin #37462 on the left, and the prototype 460 054 on the right.
UserPostedImage

The main lights are warm-white LED, a bit too dim. The tail lights are red LED, and can be switched between two red or single white marker light.
UserPostedImage

The roof is nicely replicated although the pantographs are slightly wider, but it gives greater tolerance on the usage of catenary at R1 curves. And the gentle upward force of the pantographs work very well under my thin wire catenary.
UserPostedImage

Below the chassis, showing the pick-up slider and powered bogie with four wheels in traction tires.
Please note: this locomotive had been attached with RTS current-conducting close coupler.
UserPostedImage

Inside the body: LED boards, decoder, loudspeaker, and high-efficiency motor.
UserPostedImage

The LED housing to prevent light-bleed between white and red LEDs
UserPostedImage

The cab interior, everything is moulded into one part.
UserPostedImage

The frontal details; separately attached hand grabs, patterned foot-platform, nice looking dual thin-arms wipers, and the buffers with dots on it. (I do like the foldable foot-step on the buffers of my HAG Re 460 Jubilee, but that's just a novelty, not really necessary)
UserPostedImage
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by tiono
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2012 13:06:04(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Thanks for the detailed photos.

If one looks at modern designs this loco would be at the top range and is one of my favorite modern locos.

Looking at the photos inside, I've noticed the body has been altered to be able to fit a loudspeaker although this was possible before but not as designated spot.

I assume the led's could be changed for brighter ones by either replacing the whole led circuit board or un-soldering the current ones and replace them with brighter ones.

John

Edited by user 15 March 2014 14:30:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline tiono  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2012 17:03:50(UTC)
tiono

United States   
Surely we can replace the LEDs with the brighter one, but I just trying to tell what was delivered by Marklin.
If you want to replace it, then you also must replace the resistor to allow higher current to the LED, or alternatively; find a LED with the same voltage but better efficiency (higher luminance per watt).

You're right that the chassis obviously had been altered to suit the loudspeaker.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tiono
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 18 September 2012 20:58:31(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The 37460, 37461 may have already had the modified chassis to incorporate the speaker. I am not sure about the earlier version from the 29850 Start Set.
I have not yet opened either my 37461 or 37462, so thanks for the photos. I was wondering whether the aperture for the headlight lenses may have been widened, as the earlier models were not fully cut out behind the red lenses.
I was very happy to see that none of my recent models had the bleed through light problem that affected some earlier models between the housing and the chassis.

Regards

Mike C
Offline grifone  
#5 Posted : 15 March 2014 08:09:58(UTC)
grifone

Spain   
Hi Tiono! Where do u bought by 194€? I found it here in Spain by 227€ so it's quite more expensive :-P
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 15 March 2014 08:28:03(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: grifone Go to Quoted Post
Where do u bought by 194€?
Price is a matter of supply and demand. In November 2012 the supply was good and street price was around €180.
Now supply is small - and only the high-price sellers still have it on stock. Well, some of them may reduce the price any time to get rid of the locos, so maybe your chance will come if you wait patiently.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline grifone  
#7 Posted : 15 March 2014 09:17:19(UTC)
grifone

Spain   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Where do u bought by 194€?
Price is a matter of supply and demand. In November 2012 the supply was good and street price was around €180.
Now supply is small - and only the high-price sellers still have it on stock. Well, some of them may reduce the price any time to get rid of the locos, so maybe your chance will come if you wait patiently.

Yes sure! :-) I've bought one 37904 (Diesellok BR 294 075-7 DB AG Ep. V Digital/Telex/mfx) by just 90€, or a 39340 (E-LOK BR 152 ROT DB + mobile pantographs) by 130€ or the 39608 (E LOK 460 079-7 Re 4/4 SBB Cargo Chem Oil) by 130€ and all of this new!:'-DD but just want to know if there was a place with basis low prices :-P
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 15 March 2014 17:48:09(UTC)
H0

but just want to know if there was a place with basis low prices :-P
Check the Bargain Watch thread for that information - some names appear again and again.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0