Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nitramretep  
#51 Posted : 05 April 2016 22:03:23(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
I would love to add overhead power. But as suggested in some the responses I would do it to an inner track and as also suggested for DC locos. I have been told the digital signal is not so great on the catenary system? I used catenary on my gauge 1 out door layout many years ago and found it most enjoyable and it functioned well. The HO scale is a little tricky and perhaps very delicate, in any event it looks great.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by nitramretep
Offline river6109  
#52 Posted : 06 April 2016 06:08:27(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I've tried thinner wire but this is not suitable running locos from the overhead system, they bent upwards. regarding the thickness of the wires, mine are 0.7mm and theya re strong enough to be suitable for pantographs to be used against it.

I have always found ways to a.) simplify the design, make it less bulky and my latest idea comes with 3 wires being soldered together and soldered onto the support bracket instead of having to bent the wire at the end which than looks bulky because you have 2 loops at the support bracket, this way you just have a soldering spot which is hardly noticeable. the other improvement is using Sommerfeldt wires from the shelf makes it more bulky, the ends are bent back into a loop plus the upright supports are more or less together which you don't find on a prototype catenary system.

I may look again by using 0.5mm wires when I got the new garage extension up and trains running to its full capacity and use proper tension methods.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Carim  
#53 Posted : 12 April 2016 21:22:10(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
I just set up a quick test rig to see what was the best material to use for the wires. A thread or something like "EZ Line" just bowed too much. I then tried a 0.5mm music wire; the bow seemed acceptable. So I am going to use that for the electric wire and the carrier wire, and I will glue some threads inbetween to represent the cross-carrying wires. At the moment I can't decide which looks best, to leave the wire in it's natural state or paint it black (only the carrier line has been painted on my test rig).

Catenary test.jpg

Carim
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Carim