Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 07 July 2012 11:47:00(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi everyone,

I've started to computerise my layout with the help of a couple of generous friends, however, I've run into a problem that we can't resolve and perhaps someone here can help.

I have a CS2 with 3 boosters (60714's) and I've connected 8 s88's to the CS2. I am using TrainController as my software and I can't seem to see more than 6 s88 modules. We connected a EcoS to the s88's and all worked with the EcoS. Are there any settings on the CS2 to make for the CS2 to recognise more than 6 s88's or is it the software inside the CS2 that is limiting the number of s 88's that I can use ? When I finish wiring my layout I will have about 30 s88's.

Does anyone have any ideas ? Confused Confused Confused

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2012 13:56:30(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I don't use the central unit (CS2 or eCOS) to do the s88 detection.. I use the HSI-88 module from LDT, because is reduces the load on the central unit.. The HSI-88 feeds the detection information directly to your computer, which has far more processing capacity that the central unit. The computer uses these detections to issue instructions through the central until to components on the layout (signals, locos, turnouts)..

Cheers
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline jeehring  
#3 Posted : 07 July 2012 15:52:53(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
.....which has far more processing capacity that the central unit. ......

Cheers

....excuse me but,...perhaps you should write "...which had...".....since according reports some of the last updates of CS2 greatly improved the S88 bus & its processing capacities, also for using it with computer software..(but I don't know if there is a limitation of the number of s88 modules ).

As for Ecos owners it's a longer story, they have been the first using computers + traincontroller . HSI 88 was used primarily by owners of Ecos, because on the Ecos the capabilities of the S88 was too low and remained bugged for a certain period... Today I do not know at what stage it is ....
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline kbvrod  
#4 Posted : 07 July 2012 22:57:51(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Greg,all,

quote=youngagain;344720]Hi everyone,
I've started to computerise my layout with the help of a couple of generous friends, however, I've run into a problem that we can't resolve and perhaps someone here can help.
I have a CS2 with 3 boosters (60714's) and I've connected 8 s88's to the CS2. I am using TrainController as my software and I can't seem to see more than 6 s88 modules. We connected a EcoS to the s88's and all worked with the EcoS. Are there any settings on the CS2 to make for the CS2 to recognise more than 6 s88's or is it the software inside the CS2 that is limiting the number of s 88's that I can use ? When I finish wiring my layout I will have about 30 s88's.
Does anyone have any ideas ? Confused Confused Confused Regards,Greg

Version of CS2?
Which TrainConroller?
What is the OS on the computer?
Have you asked the RR&Co forum?Jürgen?

Yes,more questions than answers,....

Dr D
Offline Drongo  
#5 Posted : 08 July 2012 07:56:16(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Hi Greg,all,

quote=youngagain;344720]Hi everyone,
Does anyone have any ideas ? Confused Confused Confused Regards,Greg

Version of CS2?
Which TrainConroller? Gold version 7 with the latest update "c"
What is the OS on the computer? Windows xp Professional
Have you asked the RR&Co forum?Jürgen? No - I will do this

Yes,more questions than answers,....

Dr D

Offline Fredrik  
#6 Posted : 08 July 2012 23:31:36(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Place a feedback track component in the layout section of the CS2 adressed to any (the last) address of the last S88-decoder and it should work fine afterwards.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline Drongo  
#7 Posted : 10 July 2012 14:01:07(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

I received a reply from Marklin to say that they know of this problem, in that the CS2 will only recognise to 7 s88 units, and that they are working on the software. The problem should be resolved in the next update - whenever that happens. Soon I hope. Mad Mad Why didn't they make it known that this problem existed - it would have saved me and my friends hours of frustrating effort in trying to resolve the problem. Cursing Cursing Cursing

Now I'm wondering if the CS2 is going to be suitable for use with TrainController as I will be installing about 30 s88 modules on my layout. I'm investigating in possibly replacing the Cs2 with an EcoS 2 - does anyone know if the EcoS 2 can handle 3 Marklin boosters (60174) ?

Regards
Greg
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 10 July 2012 18:03:11(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Greg,

What do you need 3 boosters for ?

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Drongo  
#9 Posted : 11 July 2012 00:49:54(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Greg,

What do you need 3 boosters for ?

John

Hi John,

I have 4 tables and I want to run about 4 locos on each table at once. I thought with all this activity I would need this much power. Maybe I don't. Also, I thought too much power was better than not enough. Maybe I'm wrong.

Regards
Greg
Offline Fredrik  
#10 Posted : 11 July 2012 10:21:55(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
The ECoS will not handle 60174 boosters! They speak a different "CAN-language". Then you're better of swithcing to ECoSBoost too (you then probably wont need 3...).
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline NZMarklinist  
#11 Posted : 11 July 2012 10:44:43(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
This is the second thread where I've seen Adrian mention the HSI - 88. perhaps this will be your cheapest solution meantime altho I have no idea what it is or how much one costs.

HSI - 88 Sounds ideal for computor control but if your relying on the S88s for say shuttle train control, and your having a manual running session without the computor in control, can your shuttle train/s still operatre ?
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline xxup  
#12 Posted : 11 July 2012 11:02:28(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
This is the second thread where I've seen Adrian mention the HSI - 88. perhaps this will be your cheapest solution meantime altho I have no idea what it is or how much one costs.

HSI - 88 Sounds ideal for computor control but if your relying on the S88s for say shuttle train control, and your having a manual running session without the computor in control, can your shuttle train/s still operatre ?

Yep.. ONLY for computer control..

see http://www.ldt-infocente...m/english/hsi88usb_e.htm

For efficiency, I switch off s88 monitoring in the eCOS... If you have full computer control, then you don't need the eCOS to manage a shuttle - the computer can do this for you... Nev has one working with iTrain and my current shelf layout is a series of complex shuttles managed by WinDigiPet...
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Drongo  
#13 Posted : 11 July 2012 11:18:00(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Thanks again for the advice everyone. The cost to buy an EcoS 2 & booster is about 1,000 Euro which is about $1,250. I could buy a lot of Marklin trains with that, so at the moment I am going to wait for the next CS2 update, which hopefully won't be too long. In hindsight, if I knew about the CS2 limitation I would have bought the EcoS 2, but hindsight is . . . . .

Regards
Greg
Offline jeehring  
#14 Posted : 11 July 2012 14:36:02(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post
..... if I knew about the CS2 limitation I would have bought the EcoS 2, but hindsight is . . . . .

Regards
Greg

....you should not have any regrets : for using with computers the S88 bus of Ecos stayed inefficient for a long period, Ecos-owners could not use more than three S88 modules .
...that was one of the reasons why some of them moved to the external HSI S88 from Littfinsky...
Even today.....Confused ......( I have no recent information....If I have time perhaps I will make some research ) ..
I was told that ESU had to rewrite their S88 firmware....I don't know if it's done or not..

You said 30 modules S88....Confused .I am amazed that you need so many modules (specially with Traincontroler ! Confused ...)...

Edited by user 11 July 2012 18:31:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Drongo  
#15 Posted : 12 July 2012 13:02:18(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post
..... if I knew about the CS2 limitation I would have bought the EcoS 2, but hindsight is . . . . .

Regards
Greg

....you should not have any regrets : for using with computers the S88 bus of Ecos stayed inefficient for a long period, Ecos-owners could not use more than three S88 modules .
...that was one of the reasons why some of them moved to the external HSI S88 from Littfinsky...
Even today.....Confused ......( I have no recent information....If I have time perhaps I will make some research ) ..
I was told that ESU had to rewrite their S88 firmware....I don't know if it's done or not..

You said 30 modules S88....Confused .I am amazed that you need so many modules (specially with Traincontroler ! Confused ...)...

Hi Roland,

If you have a look at my avatar, that's a photo of one table - I have 4 tables in my layout. I figured that I will need about 100 blocks and each block has 3 contacts - that's about 19 units. And when I finish this lot I'll probably start adding more - one never finishes his layout . . . . . Flapper Flapper BigGrin BigGrin

Regards
Greg

Offline Drongo  
#16 Posted : 13 July 2012 08:44:16(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Everyone - I'm a happy little Vegemite !!!! LOL LOL LOL Laugh Laugh Laugh

Today I resolved the problem with the s88's. The reason that TC couldn't read the contacts on the layout was because some of the track was disconnected. When all the track was connected, TC started to work correctly. Whacko . . . . . Laugh Laugh

Now I can continue wiring up the s88's until I reach module #8, and then I hope Marklin have updated the software for the CS2. So far I have wired about 35% of the layout and used 5 modules.

Regards

Greg
Offline Rhapsody  
#17 Posted : 14 July 2012 10:32:35(UTC)
Rhapsody

Hi Greg,

with your four tables, have you ever thought about selling your 8 s88-modules and using instead CAN-bus-modules which have no limitations in combination with cs2 and pc?

The advantage is that the CAN-bus does not poll, every message is sent in the moment the event occurs and also if the cs2 has problems, the data reaches directly the pc so that the feedback can be handled there, because the data are not manipulated by the cs2 (but the cs2 gets the data simultanously for her business, too). In addition to that there is a galvanic isolation between CAN-module and the rest of your layout, every module is an electrical isle. A further advantage is that there are service tools which help the trouble shooting, in case something is not correctly cabled or for setting CV’s if there are dirty tracks.

For your purpose I would recommend the GleisReporter deLuxe, unfortunately the description of this module on the homepage is not yet translated, but you can contact the producer well in English, he will answer you in English, too.

For a first impression you can visit the homepage here.

(If all modules on this page are shown to you in German, please go to the main page and select English as language)
kind regards,
Rhapsody