Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Semaphore  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2012 03:26:42(UTC)
Semaphore

Hello fellow Marklinists,

Just starting to gear up for the wiring of my layout.

The Marklin wires available (i.e. 7101 Blue) seem to be 0.19 mm². The comparable wires from Brawa are 0.14 mm².

Even though originally from Holland, I have to find comparable sizes using the American Wire Gauge system (AWG). I found that 24 AWG and 26 AWG respectively are the closest in sizes.

What is the consensus for sizes when it comes to model layout wiring? I plan on using a bus wire for the digital signal so I can easily create feeder tracks every 10'. I would use a heavier gauge for this and scale down for the individual connections.

Share your wiring experience with us.
Best regards,
Steven
JE MAINTIENDRAI
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2012 12:10:25(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Seamphore,

I use 22 AWG for feeder wires and 12 AWG for wire bus. I buy them in roll of 30 meters from digikey store in US (find it much cheaper than buying Marklin or Brawa 10 meter rolls)..

Every 7-10 track has a feeder wire.

There is an interesting article from Allan Gartner on below website (scroll down to section about feeder wire):

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm#a14

Brgs - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2012 13:19:08(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Semaphore Go to Quoted Post
I plan on using a bus wire for the digital signal so I can easily create feeder tracks every 10'. I would use a heavier gauge for this and scale down for the individual connections.

And for splicing off the individual feeder connections, you can use scotchlok connectors, such as seen in this ebay auction

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...&hash=item5889c8d470

And here is how they work (This is a picture from Dale Schultz's website - thanks Dale)

http://layout.mixmox.com/1/20020224Wiretaps
Bigdaddynz attached the following image(s):
Scotchlok.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline dickinsonj  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2016 01:29:11(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Reviving a dead thread...

I am getting ready to add wiring buses to all of my mainlines. I am looking for suggestions on the gauge of wire I should use. I see people going as large as 12 AWG and as small as 26 AWG. I also need to know what the size of the spade connectors on the C track is, so I can buy connectors that I can crimp on exactly where they are needed. I liked someone's suggestion about using a more common product like thermostat wire, which might be cheaper than a hobby item.

I am just getting back into my Marklin HO stuff after many years, and I am having a lot of fun but also having many questions!

Thanks for any help.

Jim
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline sgtb  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2016 02:05:44(UTC)
sgtb

United States   
Hey Jim,
Just go to napa down there and pick up a big roll of 14 gauge wire of red and brown. They also have the big box of the blue scotch locks. Call them first to make sure they have it there.
Now the clips for the c track you'll have to get elsewhere. Robert at RJFtrains may have the kits in stock.

They also can get wire down to 22 gauge.

Talk to ya soon,
Bob

Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2016 08:14:02(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Reviving a dead thread...
A more recent thread (will require translation from metric units to imperial units):
https://www.marklin-user...igital-layout#post501631

Re Flachsteckhülsen, see also (there must be other, similar threads):
https://www.marklin-user...khulsen-74995#post320887
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Shamu  
#7 Posted : 17 February 2016 11:02:43(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
The track connectors are 2mm spade connectors, you will most likely be able to find them with boots (rubber covers) in pack of 100 for under $10 on eBay.

Hummm.............. just double checked and as much as I'm sure they are 2mm I have 2.8 written on the 2 bags they are in so........ its one or the other Blushing

OK..... they are 2.8mm...

Find them here on ebay
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .