Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 27 May 2012 07:57:58(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Well, no picture of trains, just an update really.

Unexpected circumstances have determined that after just two years here we are returning to NZ (Auckland) in a few weeks, probably late June - early July. Gotta fit round the school holidays for the girls.

I was for selling the 0923 Factory Display Layout but Nadine has decreed that after our loving hard work on it that it should remain 'in the family' so I'm now figuring out how I can best crate it without it becoming too heavy or unwieldy.

I've made some side panels from 9mm customwood, it's not very strong but it does not need to be load-bearing so hopefully with careful handling it should be ok. The idea is the rear panel and two side panels will be hinged so that the sides fold in (and the front as a separate panel) and if this works I will tinker with using it also as the backdrop but the main thing is at least getting it back in one piece.

Another option was to mount the four sides with piano hinges so that they are always attached and would also provide a bit of a 'skirt' when it is displayed but I'm not so convinced on that idea, they might become a nuisance.

But on the upside, that means at least I still have a ready-to-run layout at my fingertips (assuming we can find a house with enough room) and there's an outside chance I may even be able to get it along to one of the exhibitions.

And hopefully I will get the chance to renew old acquaintances and make some new ones. Putting faces to names etc.

Cheers

Steve
Melbourne

Edited by user 27 May 2012 08:46:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Ian555  
#2 Posted : 27 May 2012 08:05:40(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Steve,

Good luck with the move. ThumpUp

Ian.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline nevw  
#3 Posted : 27 May 2012 08:33:14(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
R so being deported.

OGN
wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now have a new shiny tin Hip that is badly in Need of Repair
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 27 May 2012 08:48:12(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post
R so being deported.

OGN

Blimmen surprised they let me in to begin with. Woot Woot

Border Patrol must not have been filming that day!!

RollEyes
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kariosls37  
#5 Posted : 27 May 2012 10:07:54(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Best of luck with the move.
Be sure to join up with the Auckland Marklin club, we have a nice layout and a bunch of good people you can have a chat with over a cuppa. See also the website: http://www.marklin.org.nz
Either turn up on a club night or contact Mike via the website or this forum (mvd71)

Cheers,
Rick

Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 27 May 2012 10:36:20(UTC)
mvd71

Hi Steve,

We look forward to seeing you at the Auckland club soon.

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 27 May 2012 12:43:02(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kariosls37 Go to Quoted Post
Best of luck with the move.
Be sure to join up with the Auckland Marklin club, we have a nice layout and a bunch of good people you can have a chat with over a cuppa. See also the website: http://www.marklin.org.nz
Either turn up on a club night or contact Mike via the website or this forum (mvd71)

Cheers,
Rick

No worries, I'll be there with bells on as they say.

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 27 May 2012 18:50:56(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
No worries, I'll be there with bells on as they say.

Don't forget your other mates either!

Offline DaveB  
#9 Posted : 28 May 2012 09:19:59(UTC)
DaveB

Australia   
Mike, is Rex Meijering still a member of the Auckland Marklin Club in Onehunga? Whenever I went to visit his home in Glen Eden I was always in awe of his fantastic collection. I referred to it as Mecca. Spent a lot of money in that little shed of hisRollEyes
D.A.Banks
Offline cookee_nz  
#10 Posted : 14 June 2012 10:50:46(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Just an update, getting to the 11th hour now, intended departure date is 30 June to fly to Auckland, then have to take the girls down to Wanganui to their Nana and back up to the big smoke so start looking for somewhere to live , perhaps roughly around the Drury area, find a job, find somewhere to stay until a house is found, sell cars, furniture, and on it goes. Nadine follows a week later once everything here is sorted.

And finally I have the display layout packed up, hopefully it won't give Customs or MAF any grief, they can unscrew the lid to check it but you can still bet they'll want to fumigate it and no doubt have all sort of questions about the timber, the foliage etc etc.

Sadly not enough time to arrange a farewell get-together with the Melbourne crowd, that would have been nice but time is against us.

But were are heading 'home' and I'm happy about that, closer to my girls and the grandies (and a new one in the oven), two weeks, phew it will just fly.

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline utkan  
#11 Posted : 14 June 2012 11:09:21(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Wish you the best for you and the family....ThumpUp
UserPostedImage

The world is analog!
Offline xxup  
#12 Posted : 14 June 2012 11:29:20(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Clearly Melbourne wasn't cold enough for you! LOL LOL LOL

Have a safe trip and give Macca a hug from us all when you see him.. Cool Cool

I should point out that when Miss 12 was in NZ with the Girl Guides in January they ran out of water.. You might to check to see if they managed to find some after the girls left - before you buy somewhere to live... Blushing Blushing Blushing
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline mvd71  
#13 Posted : 14 June 2012 22:46:34(UTC)
mvd71

Originally Posted by: DaveB Go to Quoted Post
Mike, is Rex Meijering still a member of the Auckland Marklin Club in Onehunga? Whenever I went to visit his home in Glen Eden I was always in awe of his fantastic collection. I referred to it as Mecca. Spent a lot of money in that little shed of hisRollEyes

Hi Dave,

Yes Rex is still a member, and still lives in Glen Eden. I think most Marklin enthusiasts in Auckland would have been to Mecca, and spent some dollars too!
When I first joined the club there was nowhere to buy new Marklin, so many hours were spent with a coffee and chat over at Rex's shedCool

Unfortunately he is scaling back now, but there are still a few neat items that come up from time to timeDrool

Cheers....

Mike.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline mvd71  
#14 Posted : 14 June 2012 22:48:28(UTC)
mvd71

Looking forward to seeing here. I'm not far from Drury, so feel free to drop me a line.

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline DaveB  
#15 Posted : 15 June 2012 05:40:42(UTC)
DaveB

Australia   
Hello Mike,

Many thanks for your reply. You & I have one thing in common & that is fond memories in that little shed at the bottom of the garden. Many a dollar spent there & all good quality stuff.OhMyGod He did visit me on the Gold Coast once & we had a lunch together at the Southport Workman's Club. Please send him my best regards.

Cheers

Dave Banks...
D.A.Banks