Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#51 Posted : 04 July 2013 23:17:54(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I can confirm that there is lots of play in my axles.. Crying So that's four bad ones - but I still love the set.. Blushing
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline witzlerh  
#52 Posted : 05 July 2013 22:05:30(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Hmm. It sounds like the problem I had with my ICE. Due to tight packaging, the wheels were pushed up into the bogie and caused the trucks to bend open. I did get replacement bogies but I also repaired the trucks.

I placed the trucks in a warm oven (80-100C) and pushed them in when they were soft. I made a spacer to squeeze to a stop so as to not over bend. I kept shimming down until I got the trucks bent back and then set the truck by dunking it in cold water.

Edited by user 08 July 2013 22:47:14(UTC)  | Reason: fixed typo

Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline Drongo  
#53 Posted : 06 July 2013 12:42:32(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
Hmm. It sounds like the problem I had with my ICE. Due to tight packaging, the wheels were pushed up into the bogie and caused the trucks to bend open. I did get replacement bogies but I also repaired the trucks.

I placed the trucks in a warm oven (80-100C) and puched them in when they were soft. I made a spacer to squeeze to a stop so as to not over bend. I kept shimming down until I got the trucks bent back and then set the truck by dunking it in cold water.

Thanks Harald for the tip. BigGrin

It's really embarrassing for me to see the tip, as I sent 40 years as a plastics fabricator and I was doing this type of work. I've been retired 3 years and the brain has ceased up. Crying Crying Crying Now that you've refreshed the old noggin I know exactly what to do.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline steventrain  
#54 Posted : 06 July 2013 21:42:21(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Anyone own run 37795 Tintin 10-car set?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline danmarklinman  
#55 Posted : 08 July 2013 14:51:15(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post

I placed the trucks in a warm oven (80-100C) and puched them in when they were soft. I made a spacer to squeeze to a stop so as to not over bend. I kept shimming down until I got the trucks bent back and then set the truck by dunking it in cold water.

Thanks Harald for the tip. BigGrin

It's really embarrassing for me to see the tip, as I sent 40 years as a plastics fabricator and I was doing this type of work. I've been retired 3 years and the brain has ceased up. Crying Crying Crying Now that you've refreshed the old noggin I know exactly what to do.

Regards
Greg

Hi Greg I have Thalys set and i have the same problem on our Marklin uk club day with M track but not on my K track yet! I am going to look at pin point bearings to see if i can imrove things and let you know how i get on! http://www.scalelink.co....agon___coach_wheels.html

https://www.marklin-user...h---Running-reports.aspx
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline xxup  
#56 Posted : 08 July 2013 22:45:00(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
...Hi Greg I have Thalys set and i have the same problem on our Marklin uk club day with M track but not on my K track yet!...

It is not a track problem as the wheels came off mine on newly laid C track too..

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline danmarklinman  
#57 Posted : 09 July 2013 00:14:40(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
...Hi Greg I have Thalys set and i have the same problem on our Marklin uk club day with M track but not on my K track yet!...

It is not a track problem as the wheels came off mine on newly laid C track too..

Ok thanks , Mine will run on my K track layout without problems, I have found that the coupler system had come lose, and may have caused the train to derail and lose its axle because of this. As I have said it does not happen on my K track layout. I do find it difficult to place on my small layout. For this reason I am going to sell it as I have found it to be a white elephant as far as the cost, running time and lack of use. I hope to get something more useful to a very small layout.

Edited by user 10 July 2013 08:10:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline Drongo  
#58 Posted : 10 July 2013 08:59:06(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I've just about had it Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing

I have 5 trains that come under this category - The bodies are plastic and they are permanently coupled. These are 3 ICE 2 trains + 1 Thalys + 1 ICE 3. ALL OF THEM are causing me trouble. They regularly derail. Cursing Cursing Cursing

After careful examination the conclusion is that these trains are badly designed to run on a layout. Firstly, the ICE 3 has a central drive unit with pick up shoes in the front and rear. The body weight is far too light and the front or rear carriage will derail over the slightest bump. As for going through "S" bends - a guaranteed derailment. I cannot believe that Marklin could design, develop and release such trains. I've watched the Marklin TV episodes where they demonstrate the quality control procedures and I'm starting to believe that it's a fantasy. For one thing, their test layout is an oval and no S bends, so how do they know their design is good or not.

I'm really angry at the moment and I'm contemplating sending ALL 5 trains back to Germany. If someone from Marklin reads this - could they please explain why these trains derail.

Regards
Greg
p.s. I feel a little better, now that I've said it.
Offline H0  
#59 Posted : 10 July 2013 10:34:02(UTC)
H0

For one thing, their test layout is an oval and no S bends, so how do they know their design is good or not.
The theory is different: new designs get extended tests on large layouts. Same is done from time to time with samples from the main production (they say).

Every loco should get a quick test run on the oval before it gets packed. I would not be surprised if they skipped this for trains like the Thalys, as they'd have to plug them together for a real test run.
The test run on the oval is performed under computer control (most of the time nobody's watching), so some faults can slip through this test run.

I have no derailing problems with ICE 2, ICE 3, or Thalys on C track.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Drongo  
#60 Posted : 10 July 2013 11:18:22(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Thanks Tom for your input. I'll have to check my track to see if there's too much movement.

Regards
Greg
Offline jeehring  
#61 Posted : 10 July 2013 20:42:19(UTC)
jeehring

Reading the topic, I've noticed several complaining people roll with the motorized set without adding any coach....
... It means they have to deal with only one "Jacob style" bogie on which is mounted the coupling system.
... they have to operate only one coupling between two double units ( = handling 4 units)....
I also Wonder which axle has fallen......
Confused
Offline Chook  
#62 Posted : 11 July 2013 02:49:09(UTC)
Chook

Australia   

I placed the trucks in a warm oven (80-100C) and pushed them in when they were soft. I made a spacer to squeeze to a stop so as to not over bend. I kept shimming down until I got the trucks bent back and then set the truck by dunking it in cold water.

Thanks for this information Harald. I am rebuilding a full size railway wagon to house my collection in and being in Western Australia I suspect that the temperature in the old wagon during summer over here could possibly reach 50 degrees C which is still below your remoulding temp (just).
I will probably incorporate some form of temperature driven alarm system with an automatic vent fan just in case.

Regards.......Chook.
Offline danmarklinman  
#63 Posted : 11 July 2013 08:41:37(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
Reading the topic, I've noticed several complaining people roll with the motorized set without adding any coach....
... It means they have to deal with only one "Jacob style" bogie on which is mounted the coupling system.
... they have to operate only one coupling between two double units ( = handling 4 units)....
I also Wonder which axle has fallen......
Confused

I will be putting up a Youtube clip of a four unit thalys running through a K tack junction and around my small layout. It runs without fault!

https://www.marklin-user...PS180-00.aspx#post407620

Edited by user 11 July 2013 21:04:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline Drongo  
#64 Posted : 19 July 2013 13:29:52(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
This will probably be my last update on this topic.

Marklin generously posted me a replacement coupling without any instructions. I asked for some photos or possibly a short video and I was sent 4 photos which were as useful as tits on a bull. I complained about this and they advised me to sent the train to one of their dealer, which I did. I paid $45 for the repairs, which was cheaper than the postage to Germany and I placed it on my layout and it immediately de-railed. Not at the new coupling, but in the centre where there is a connection that clips together.

This model is a piece of rubbish. Be warned - do not buy this model even if you see it for $1 - it is absolutely terrible.

Regarding the replies from other owners, I noticed that some are running their model on small layouts and using K track. I'm using a large layout with S curves and C track. The track is well laid with no problems from other trains - just this one.

BTW - I asked Marklin for a refund. I thought I'd end with a joke.

Regards
Greg
Offline Drongo  
#65 Posted : 19 June 2014 14:34:24(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Sorry fellas, I made a mistake - my last post isn't my last post.

Guess what??!! The Thalys is back at Marklin Cursing Cursing Cursing That's right - This will be my 4th model Confused Confused Confused

I'll let you know when it arrives and see how it goes.

Regards
Greg
Offline foumaro  
#66 Posted : 20 June 2014 09:47:57(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Sorry fellas, I made a mistake - my last post isn't my last post.

Guess what??!! The Thalys is back at Marklin Cursing Cursing Cursing That's right - This will be my 4th model Confused Confused Confused

I'll let you know when it arrives and see how it goes.

Regards
Greg

Just ask if it is possible to give you something else,anything.There is no other way to escape from this rubbish,it is obvious.You are wasting your time.And the other one will be a problem.Just a thought.
Offline river6109  
#67 Posted : 20 June 2014 16:33:25(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
dropping the axles has been a problem with Märklin fast trains for a long time, the first ICE they've produced everything else is excellent except the bogie., I've made them harder by applying superglue so the bogy doesn't expand, another problem was with the ICE 1 hobby version, the same problem and last and not least the hopper carriages with coupling shafts the outside axle is hanging on a single support arm.

maybe the train would have been better being produced by TGV

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kweekalot  
#68 Posted : 20 June 2014 20:40:55(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
For one thing, their test layout is an oval and no S bends, so how do they know their design is good or not.
The theory is different: new designs get extended tests on large layouts. Same is done from time to time with samples from the main production (they say).

Every loco should get a quick test run on the oval before it gets packed. I would not be surprised if they skipped this for trains like the Thalys, as they'd have to plug them together for a real test run.
The test run on the oval is performed under computer control (most of the time nobody's watching), so some faults can slip through this test run.

I have no derailing problems with ICE 2, ICE 3, or Thalys on C track.

Faller magazin 17 (June 1960) showed some pictures of Marklin test runs in 1960, back in the days this testing seems much more thorough (and not on a oval track).

Laugh

UserPostedImage
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Drongo  
#69 Posted : 09 July 2014 07:27:49(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Marklin sent over #4 Thalys and this looks like the newer version. So far it has been good - I'll keep you all posted.

Regards
Greg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline Drongo  
#70 Posted : 22 July 2014 09:22:02(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Thalys #4 after about one hour of operation, in total, started to fall apart at the couplings. This caused the train to derail and overload the power. Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing

IT'S ON ITS WAY BACK TO GERMANY AND IT'S STAYING THERE. I don't want repaired or replaced - I don't want this piece of s@#$$ on my layout.

This is absolute junk. ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown

Marklin should be ashamed for releasing this model.

This should be the end of this review. Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline foumaro  
#71 Posted : 22 July 2014 19:27:24(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Us expected.
Offline Drongo  
#72 Posted : 21 November 2014 10:29:08(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Thalys #4 after about one hour of operation, in total, started to fall apart at the couplings. This caused the train to derail and overload the power. Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing

IT'S ON ITS WAY BACK TO GERMANY AND IT'S STAYING THERE. I don't want repaired or replaced - I don't want this piece of s@#$$ on my layout.

This is absolute junk. ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown

Marklin should be ashamed for releasing this model.

This should be the end of this review. Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared

No - it's not the end of the review. Marklin service sent me an email and said they would repair the Thalys for 75 euros. The bloody hide of them Cursing Cursing Cursing The train has never worked correctly and has been returned 5 times Blushing Blushing Blushing Blushing Blushing Now it's out of warranty. They are joking aren't they ???????? The German members of this forum may be able to enlighten me on the consumer laws - certainly here in Australia I'd have a very good case for either it to be repaired, replaced or refunded.

If I write any more I'll be band from the forum.

A very unhappy chappie.
Offline H0  
#73 Posted : 22 November 2014 07:44:16(UTC)
H0

Hi!
I'm sorry to hear about your ongoing trouble with that train.
The German members of this forum may be able to enlighten me on the consumer laws
IANAL.
You have a contract with your dealer, not with Märklin. Märklin are not required to provide any warranty to end users.
Legally you are on the safe side if you always return the items to the dealer - or at least ask the dealer if you plan to send anything to Märklin for repairs.

Märklin might repair it for free if you point out it never worked (problem existed from the start and was never fixed with former four repair attempts) and it spent many months travelling around or waiting for repairs.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Drongo  
#74 Posted : 27 November 2014 12:52:19(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
I'm sorry to hear about your ongoing trouble with that train.
The German members of this forum may be able to enlighten me on the consumer laws
IANAL.
You have a contract with your dealer, not with Märklin. Märklin are not required to provide any warranty to end users.
Legally you are on the safe side if you always return the items to the dealer - or at least ask the dealer if you plan to send anything to Märklin for repairs.

Märklin might repair it for free if you point out it never worked (problem existed from the start and was never fixed with former four repair attempts) and it spent many months travelling around or waiting for repairs.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the information. It's a shame that this product has caused so much trouble. Marklin have replaced it twice, so that means 3 of this model have been faulty. I can't believe that I received 3 faulty products - just plain bad luck. I've written to Marklin service and I haven't received a reply - perhaps they're having a committee meeting to see what they can do. If they don't reply, then I'll just leave it there and write it off as a bad experience. It's a pity to do that, as I paid for a first class product from a first class manufacturer.

Regards
Greg
Offline Drongo  
#75 Posted : 15 February 2015 12:59:57(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Marklin have finally realised that it's a lost cause and they have replaced the "mighty" Thalys with another model.

RIP Thalys.
Offline jvuye  
#76 Posted : 15 February 2015 19:25:29(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Marklin have finally realised that it's a lost cause and they have replaced the "mighty" Thalys with another model.

RIP Thalys.

And to round up the issue, my brand new Lyria tgv is also acting up: one of the power units is jerking badly at low speed...The Preiserleins are demanding a refund on their tickets... 😬
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline punksie1  
#77 Posted : 09 August 2022 15:46:56(UTC)
punksie1

Hi Everyone,

This is my first review of a Marklin locomotive set - the Thalys 37791.

I opened the box and I immediately felt that this was not going to be a happy experience. The sight of the cheap looking plastic exterior was a disappointing feeling. Mellow

The set comes with 2 pairs of carriages which seem to be permanently coupled together and the documentation in the manual is about as useful as tits on a bull. The 2 pairs have to be coupled together with a supplied tool, which like the manual, was just about useless, as the 2 units wouldn't engage correctly. Cursing At the first curve the units would disengage and no matter how hard I tried to engage the coupling, it just wouldn't. Cursing When lifting the units off the tracks, the first set of wheels fell out the the worst housing I've ever seen on a Marklin model - the housing is made of flimsy, soft plastic and the wheels have very little chance of staying in position. Then another wheel set fell off. Cursing Cursing The only time I could check the sound features was when the set was on the programming track, as the train had about 20 seconds experience on the layout, due to the uncoupling fault.

In summary, I would say this this model is the worst ever produced by Marklin - I can't believe that it was manufactured in the Marklin factory, it looks more like the cheaper brands. I very disappointed with this model and for me to return it to Marklin, will cost me nearly $100.00, so I'm contemplating scalping the whole set and sticking it on the shelf. I've send an email to Marklin regarding my disappointment and I received the usual "we'll get back to you soon". If anyone disagrees with me, please let me know as I may have the "lemon".

A disappointed and disillusioned Greg

Hello,
I have a number of different TGV sets including the Thalys. I am currently rebuilding my layout 15 x 19 and have started running the TGV's for the first time. All run well and I did take care of the Thalys couple rears ago when i read the posts about the wheels falling off. Managed to get the newer bogies with the clips and all looks good and love the unit. I do have the full 10 piece set but the issue I have is connecting the the Engine & carriage to the coach sets.
I use the correct procedure to couple them and they slide in correctly but I don't get the little click to ensure they fully locked in. This seems to be at both ends. The lights are all functional everything is great and they don't come apart on corners or anywhere on the track. I am a little concerned, do any of you have some insight or solution?

Thanks Mark.

Edited by moderator 09 August 2022 23:42:55(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed quotes