Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2012 07:27:53(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Everyone,

This is my first review of a Marklin locomotive set - the Thalys 37791.

I opened the box and I immediately felt that this was not going to be a happy experience. The sight of the cheap looking plastic exterior was a disappointing feeling. Mellow

The set comes with 2 pairs of carriages which seem to be permanently coupled together and the documentation in the manual is about as useful as tits on a bull. The 2 pairs have to be coupled together with a supplied tool, which like the manual, was just about useless, as the 2 units wouldn't engage correctly. Cursing At the first curve the units would disengage and no matter how hard I tried to engage the coupling, it just wouldn't. Cursing When lifting the units off the tracks, the first set of wheels fell out the the worst housing I've ever seen on a Marklin model - the housing is made of flimsy, soft plastic and the wheels have very little chance of staying in position. Then another wheel set fell off. Cursing Cursing The only time I could check the sound features was when the set was on the programming track, as the train had about 20 seconds experience on the layout, due to the uncoupling fault.

In summary, I would say this this model is the worst ever produced by Marklin - I can't believe that it was manufactured in the Marklin factory, it looks more like the cheaper brands. I very disappointed with this model and for me to return it to Marklin, will cost me nearly $100.00, so I'm contemplating scalping the whole set and sticking it on the shelf. I've send an email to Marklin regarding my disappointment and I received the usual "we'll get back to you soon". If anyone disagrees with me, please let me know as I may have the "lemon".

A disappointed and disillusioned Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline foumaro  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2012 08:16:40(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Year by year the quality off the marklin's products getting worst.It is so simple.Make a list of what you do not manage to have for all the previous years and find them.I have not buy anything new for the last two years.The year 2012 i bought all the Alcos i stupidly missed the previous years.These are machines,the one you bought is plastic toy just to fill a display case.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2012 09:30:38(UTC)
H0

Hi, Greg,

My Thalys didn't drop axles yet, and the coupling tool worked for me. It's usage is documented on a small sheet of paper included in the box.
The train has been running on the layout and it never disconnected by itself.

It's not uncommon that TGV or Thalys drop some axles (some trains do, but not all).

My Thalys will go back to the company because one motor runs very slow, much slower than the other, and train will run only when pushed by a helping hand.
So that makes two lemons.

It's plastic, it was advertised as being plastic. I'm not disappointed about that. Looks OK to me.
Surely I'm not happy that it failed. And there also is the fear it might start dropping axles ...

Still some teething problems after the guinea pig TGV. The TGV should have been enough to sort out the teething problems (well, the buyers of the TGV also deserve a train without teething problems).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2012 10:16:52(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Mine is back in its box.. I love this train, but the dropping axles makes it too unreliable for a computer controlled layout.

The units have never uncoupled and the sounds work fine.. I don't mind the plastic construction, but I believe that the wagons need extra weight to help with the wheel problem.. This is especially the case when you have the extra cars..

Sending it back to Germany is not an option - too far and too expensive.. I would rather pay for modified/updated bogies and fit them myself..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Ian555  
#5 Posted : 23 April 2012 12:07:14(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

Thanks for all the input, one Set that will not be on my wish list.

Ian.

Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 23 April 2012 13:30:29(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Sorry about the problem, Thanks for the report.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline klarinettmeister  
#7 Posted : 23 April 2012 15:21:20(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Thanks Greg!

That was a wonderful review. I think it´s good to have an opinion about a model. I have been having a small interest but as I´ve read alot of these models I´ve considered not buying any of the TGV models. It´s a shame that the units are badly constructed.

I´m glad I choose the 26490 Blue Bird instead, although it had problems whith the signs. But that´s just a optical problem.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Offline Nielsenr  
#8 Posted : 23 April 2012 18:56:15(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
I have the TGV and the Thalys both with full complements of add on cars and I have not had any problems with joining the cars together. I did have problems with my ICE 3 MF cars coming apart until I tipped both cars upward to get the connectors to "snap" together. Although the TGV is slightly slower than the Thalys it doesn't bother me too much since I never run any of my trains anywhere near full throttle so I can just adjust the speed to match. And compared to some of my other trains, I have run the TGV and Thalys a lot. I think they look very impressive on the track together with all of the cars attached.

I did a repair for my local dealer of another customers TGV that acted like Tom (HO) listed above, it ran very slowly and had to be pushed. Opened it up and found one of the capstan rods to one of the trucks had become dislodged. Put it back in and it ran great. I mentioned to my dealer that I wondered if it had been dropped. When the customer came to get it, my dealer mentioned my comment to him and the customer got an embarrassed look and said that "yes, that might have happened".

Sorry to hear of the problems ... I am very happy with mine ...

Robert
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline TimR  
#9 Posted : 24 April 2012 06:51:26(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: klarinettmeister Go to Quoted Post
I have been having a small interest but as I´ve read alot of these models I´ve considered not buying any of the TGV models. It´s a shame that the units are badly constructed.

I am of the same opinion.

The TGV - with greater choice of livery compared to the monotone ICE trains, and also possibility to make other variants like the double-decker sets, have always been quite interesting marketing potential for Marklin.

Pity about all the reports of problems that both models suffered until now.

To start with, I have always questioned as to why Marklin had ever bothered with two motor design and one decoder in the TGV.
Sure, it makes good marketing gimmick, but it creates a wealth of potential problems - such as uneven running between both motors, and more warranty cost to fix them. And don't even start about the top speed, or coupling the coaches.

I still prefer the now oldie Marklin ICE-3 design. Even if it may look slightly outdated by now, it has very little to fault, and it goes really well and fast.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline dan67millie  
#10 Posted : 24 April 2012 17:27:35(UTC)
dan67millie

Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post
Hi Everyone,

This is my first review of a Marklin locomotive set - the Thalys 37791.

I opened the box and I immediately felt that this was not going to be a happy experience. The sight of the cheap looking plastic exterior was a disappointing feeling. Mellow

The set comes with 2 pairs of carriages which seem to be permanently coupled together and the documentation in the manual is about as useful as tits on a bull. The 2 pairs have to be coupled together with a supplied tool, which like the manual, was just about useless, as the 2 units wouldn't engage correctly. Cursing At the first curve the units would disengage and no matter how hard I tried to engage the coupling, it just wouldn't. Cursing When lifting the units off the tracks, the first set of wheels fell out the the worst housing I've ever seen on a Marklin model - the housing is made of flimsy, soft plastic and the wheels have very little chance of staying in position. Then another wheel set fell off. Cursing Cursing The only time I could check the sound features was when the set was on the programming track, as the train had about 20 seconds experience on the layout, due to the uncoupling fault.

In summary, I would say this this model is the worst ever produced by Marklin - I can't believe that it was manufactured in the Marklin factory, it looks more like the cheaper brands. I very disappointed with this model and for me to return it to Marklin, will cost me nearly $100.00, so I'm contemplating scalping the whole set and sticking it on the shelf. I've send an email to Marklin regarding my disappointment and I received the usual "we'll get back to you soon". If anyone disagrees with me, please let me know as I may have the "lemon".

A disappointed and disillusioned Greg

Hi im sorry you have had trouble with your Thalys set. I have one myself and i must say i have had no problems with mine apart from trying to place it on the track on a small layout! But when i did the a wheel did drop off. But i think it was more m,e not it. These models are far more detailed than than old Marklin and i did think it could of done with a little more of the old Marklin about it! to allow to run with a little less care and more need for speed!!LOL
Offline Drongo  
#11 Posted : 11 May 2012 12:53:27(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Just an update with the email that I sent to Marklin. NOTHING !!!!Cursing Cursing Cursing

I hope someone from Marklin reads this thread. In my opinion the lack of not responding to a letter is just plain laziness. My next letter will be to Herr Loebich and you can answer to him. Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

Regards
Greg
Offline Deborail  
#12 Posted : 24 May 2012 15:13:52(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
Originally Posted by: TimR Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: klarinettmeister Go to Quoted Post
I have been having a small interest but as I´ve read alot of these models I´ve considered not buying any of the TGV models. It´s a shame that the units are badly constructed.

I am of the same opinion.

The TGV - with greater choice of livery compared to the monotone ICE trains, and also possibility to make other variants like the double-decker sets, have always been quite interesting marketing potential for Marklin.

Pity about all the reports of problems that both models suffered until now.

To start with, I have always questioned as to why Marklin had ever bothered with two motor design and one decoder in the TGV.
Sure, it makes good marketing gimmick, but it creates a wealth of potential problems - such as uneven running between both motors, and more warranty cost to fix them. And don't even start about the top speed, or coupling the coaches.

I still prefer the now oldie Marklin ICE-3 design. Even if it may look slightly outdated by now, it has very little to fault, and it goes really well and fast.

The ICE 3 actually also exists in Russia and China. There is even a chinese model of this as CRH3 and I have my eyes on getting one one day (made by Bachmann China)
George

Given enough time, tasks manage themselves.
Offline Drongo  
#13 Posted : 27 May 2012 02:28:17(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Another update.

The service department contacted me by email and said that they have sent me some replacement wheel sets, however, this left the major problem of the units not coupling together unresolved. I replied to the service department regarding this matter and they replied that I needed to send the set back. I have done this and I now need to wait 3 months for them to receive it, so don't hold your breath for the next update.

In all fairness, Marklin have done the right thing and even though it might take time, they at least act on the situation. As my grandmother used to say, "Better late than never".
Regards
Greg
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#14 Posted : 27 May 2012 02:47:58(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
It is really sad reading about the quality issues with the TGV and Thalys sets. I was almost ready to pick one up last summer but decided against it as so many people reported problems (some of which you mention Greg). It's a pity since both the TGV and Thalys sets look good visually. Maybe Märklin will finally adress the issues with the sets and fix the ones people already have and apply these fixes to a future revised model. I guess time will tell..

You have all right to be disappointed considering the price of the set and the low quality but I hope it works out for you in the end Greg.

Oliver
SBB Era IV - VI
Offline foumaro  
#15 Posted : 27 May 2012 05:55:37(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Another update.

The service department contacted me by email and said that they have sent me some replacement wheel sets, however, this left the major problem of the units not coupling together unresolved. I replied to the service department regarding this matter and they replied that I needed to send the set back. I have done this and I now need to wait 3 months for them to receive it, so don't hold your breath for the next update.

In all fairness, Marklin have done the right thing and even though it might take time, they at least act on the situation. As my grandmother used to say, "Better late than never".
Regards
Greg

Better late than never is an very old and wise Greek saying.
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 27 May 2012 08:09:42(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS Go to Quoted Post
I was almost ready to pick one up last summer but decided against it as so many people reported problems
I think it would be good (for Märklin and for potential buyers) if Märklin would confirm these problems and provide information about the likelihood.
Thalys dropping wheelsets, Big Boy losing screws - I hope this happens only to a very small percentage of shipped items.

They are on Farcebook, maybe on Twitter also (?), they could make this information public.
They start a lot new things - but do not update them any more after a short time.

What they do: in really severe cases, they public cryptic notes in Märklin Magazine - but 95+ % of quality problems discussed on fora will never be mentioned in MM or Märklin TV.

An unhappy customer is more likely (by one order of magnitude) to talk about her/his experience than a happy customer, so posts on fora may not give the correct picture.

Their old FAQ list answered a lot of questions. Their new FAQ list looks better, but a lot of questions have been removed ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#17 Posted : 29 May 2012 23:58:47(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS Go to Quoted Post
I was almost ready to pick one up last summer but decided against it as so many people reported problems
I think it would be good (for Märklin and for potential buyers) if Märklin would confirm these problems and provide information about the likelihood.
Thalys dropping wheelsets, Big Boy losing screws - I hope this happens only to a very small percentage of shipped items.

An unhappy customer is more likely (by one order of magnitude) to talk about her/his experience than a happy customer, so posts on fora may not give the correct picture.

While that could be true there is a saying that says no news is good news and where there is smoke there is fire. Unfortunately just a quick look and and handling of the model does not isnpire a lot of confidence. That's just the exterior, may be the interior matches that quality?
Offline Drongo  
#18 Posted : 26 August 2012 11:42:18(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Latest update.

Marklin service department have sent me an email to say that they just received the set and they will work on it as soon as possible. Crying Crying

It's just wait and see when they get around to doing it - more updates as it happens.

Greg
Offline Drongo  
#19 Posted : 11 September 2012 15:05:11(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Update.

Today my Thalys returned to me from the Marklin service department. I immediately placed it on my layout with my grandson eagerly waiting to see it perform. The lights went on; the whistle blew; the horn sounded and all the station announcements were made - even one in English BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

The dial was slowly turned and the train moved along the track - absolutely wonderful. Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

It slowly picked up speed and it raced around the layout showing all its glory, and then slowly pulled into the Bonn station on its maiden voyage. And that's where it stopped. Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing That's it - no further movement - all the lights are on; all the station announcements ; all the whistle & horns. But no movement.

Back to Marklin for service. Mad Mad Mad That's another $60 for postage - I don't think so. Mad Mad Mad Mad

This is one bad product, or as the Yanks say "It's a lemon".

Greg
Offline witzlerh  
#20 Posted : 11 September 2012 15:37:11(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Hmm. I read somewhere that some Marklin trains need to have their doors closed before moving. Did you try a restart of the control?
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline Drongo  
#21 Posted : 13 September 2012 13:38:31(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
Hmm. I read somewhere that some Marklin trains need to have their doors closed before moving. Did you try a restart of the control?

Yes, I did the restart and the train started to work, however, now I have an issue with the train regularly de-railling Cursing Cursing Cursing
Offline witzlerh  
#22 Posted : 13 September 2012 15:10:40(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
One problem down at least.
If the train derails under a passenger car, the axel may be pushed too far in the truck(bogie).
Another issue is that the wheels may not be in gauge. They are usually pressed to the correct gauge.
This is more of a problem with the 2 rail rolling stock as the plastic insulator may not grab the axel as tight as the metal-metal wheels we have with the 3 rail rolling stock.
If they are out of gauge, derailment usually occurs at the turnouts. If you find one twist the wheel while sliding it back to gauge.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline xxup  
#23 Posted : 13 September 2012 15:25:02(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I think that the wagons are just too light for such a long train.. I will be testing my 10 car beast this weekend...
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline nevw  
#24 Posted : 14 September 2012 03:31:42(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
mmmmm where are you testing the 10 car beastie on a 12.6m layout????

Time Please.

OG
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#25 Posted : 14 September 2012 06:18:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Sad to hear the problems with these sets Greg and Tom! Makes me glad I didn't bother to get one (more due to good luck than good management - no dosh available!)
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 14 September 2012 08:28:42(UTC)
H0

Hi!

A fellow club member had a problem with the TGV: it was derailing in curves, but only on left curves, not right curves. The club members couldn't solve the issue. He sent the train back and got a new train that runs without problems.

I sent my Thalys back and got a new one with two functioning motors (I hope this one lasts for years).

Sending items back consumes time and money - the more money the further you are away from Germany.

IMHO the design of the TGV/Thalys is good and there is no need to avoid the train.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Drongo  
#27 Posted : 23 September 2012 11:53:12(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I'm only using the basic 4 car train, so there should't be any problems.

The Thalys has decided to display another problem - this time it won't move - i.e. the wheels spin. Cursing Cursing Cursing So, I decided to have a closer look under the train, and guess what - the bogeys weren't assembled correctly. There is only one wheel of the 4 that has a rubber tyre, hence the incorrect contact with the wheels on the track. I sent photos to the service department and now this one has to go back. Cursing Cursing Cursing . I think someone has to have the proverbial rocket shot up them at Marklin. Mad Mad Mad That's another $75 in postage.

I'll keep you informed about this saga.

Regards
Greg
Offline river6109  
#28 Posted : 23 September 2012 13:10:48(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Greg,

any chance of some photos before you send it back,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#29 Posted : 23 September 2012 13:18:15(UTC)
H0

Hi, Greg,
Sorry to hear that.
The Thalys has decided to display another problem - this time it won't move - i.e. the wheels spin.
Have you searched the layout for traction tyres?
If the motors run at different speeds, the wheels will slip and may easily lose the traction tyres.

Ordering 10 traction tyres would be cheaper than sending it back. But if the problem is with the motors, new traction tyres won't last long.

Or are the grooves missing on the wheels?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline foumaro  
#30 Posted : 23 September 2012 15:19:42(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I am impressed with your patience my friend.
Offline Superlampster  
#31 Posted : 23 September 2012 18:52:39(UTC)
Superlampster

Sweden   
I´m also impressed with your patience. This however is troublesome reading, because I´m gonna get the Tintin edition of the Thalys next year. Hopefully these kind of problems are solved by then Confused

Anyhow, for those of you that knows, are there alot of reports regarding quality with the Thalys set ?

Regards Henrik
Offline foumaro  
#32 Posted : 23 September 2012 19:46:31(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I hope that you will not have problems but i am afraid you will have.I think it is clear madness to pay so much money for tin-tin.Marklin have to solve all these problems.
Offline Drongo  
#33 Posted : 24 September 2012 13:32:41(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi John,

Here are some photos - I think the opposite wheel to the tyre wheel doesn't have a groove to house a tyre. Please give me your opinion.

Regards
Greg

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Offline Superlampster  
#34 Posted : 24 September 2012 23:46:07(UTC)
Superlampster

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
I think it is clear madness to pay so much money for tin-tin

Yeah, I agree. But I am the targeted buyer; grown up with Tintin, enjoy trains and can afford it. Wouldn´t want to let the marketing strategists at Märklin down Glare

Regards Henrik
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Superlampster
Offline TrainIride  
#35 Posted : 25 September 2012 00:21:10(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
Hi friends,

thank you for sharing these problems.
I think that I am going to continue to concentrate on the 1960/1970 models.
good luck with this weird plastic train...
Hoping it will finally run well.

Best regards
Joël

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TrainIride
Offline Drongo  
#36 Posted : 27 September 2012 13:43:06(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi everyone,

I received an email today from the service department and they will repair the Thalys. Smile Smile All I have to do is post it back and wait - with a bit of luck I may get it before Christmas.

Regards
Greg
Offline xxup  
#37 Posted : 29 September 2012 09:48:01(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Today I was feeling better so I decided to give the 10 Car Thalys a run..

There was something I noticed as the train was passing over one of the 5140 curved switches is the thought that went into the design of this train.. The picture below shows a passenger car passing over the lantern.. It doesn't touch..

UserPostedImage

The train is very long.. As I was taking the photo I remembered that the Brussels platform easily holds two of these trains.. So my layout is only slightly longer than the platform in Brussels.. Sigh! One day I will have a real train room..

UserPostedImage

And, of course, there is a video of the train approaching the corner at speed step 11..

Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Drongo  
#38 Posted : 24 June 2013 13:02:07(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
The latest update.

Today I finally had a chance to put the Thalys on my layout. Before I did this, I tested it on my programming track and everything worked well. BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

So I put it on the layout and on its first run - derailed. Cursing I checked the track for any foreign matter and tried it again - another derailment. Cursing It occurred at the same spot, so I carefully examined the track. I noticed that there was a very slight "bounce" in the track, an up and down movement of about 1 mm - ever so slight, but it's at the beginning of a curve. Therefore, the train cannot handle any movement in the track. I've sent a video to Marklin for their opinion and I'm giving them a chance to explain what the problem could be. If they don't reply or give a good explanation I'll upload the video here. Cursing Cursing Cursing

I'm NOT sending it back to Germany for the third time. The postage will be nearly as much as the train.

Greg
Offline jeehring  
#39 Posted : 24 June 2013 14:44:39(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: TrainIride Go to Quoted Post
Hi friends,

thank you for sharing these problems.
I think that I am going to continue to concentrate on the 1960/1970 models.
good luck with this weird plastic train...
Hoping it will finally run well.

Best regards
Joël

You should have a close look on the Thalys or the TGV....it is just beautiful ! With high quality of painting & printing ...
For this kind of articulated train with two coaches sharing one bogie , it is a good design . ( Yes, the TGV or THALYS is an articulated consist ).
To Greg (YOUNGAGAIN) :
About the bogies on motorized units : on a 4 axles locomotive when two bogies are powered by a single motor with worm gears, installing one tyre ONLY on each bogie is a common solution ....and it works . There are many many other models with one tyre per one bogie, I.E. : RE 4/4 I. It's mainly a design coming from 2 rails world to prevent excessive alteration 1/ of conduction between rails and axles ( instead of 2 tyres on each bogie) 2/ of pulling power ( instead of 2 tyres on a single bogie + other bogie without tyres).
Beside this there is another school of enthusiasts wanting all the wheels without traction tyres...just because they think that rubber is not something that you could find on real trains....
How to satisfy everyone ?

Edited by user 26 June 2013 12:52:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jeehring  
#40 Posted : 24 June 2013 15:25:09(UTC)
jeehring

BTW...on last satuday I visited my favorite trains store, Thalys TINTIN was arrived : it is just a marvel ! Printing & painting are....outstanding !
However there is no wooden box.
The box is an imitation of an old leather suitcase. It is made ​​in a sturdy carton with plastic closures and handle....quite funny looking. After all, TINTIN was a great traveller . The interior of the box is just ...ThumpUp ...with several photos....
Absolutely unique ! (like the real one )
IMHO, if we can, it's the Thalys we must have ...

Edited by user 24 June 2013 22:04:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline Drongo  
#41 Posted : 27 June 2013 13:11:54(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I've waited a few days and I haven't had a reply from Marklin service, so perhaps if they see this they might do something.

This is a video of the Thalys along a section of track and then the ICE 3 along the same section under the same conditions - in fact the ICE 3 is travelling faster. What are your thoughts and opinions?

Regards
Greg

Thalys & ICE 3
Offline Drongo  
#42 Posted : 03 July 2013 01:16:12(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Update

I've sent 2 emails to Marklin service and I cannot get a reply. Not good. Cursing Cursing Cursing

Regards
Greg
Offline foumaro  
#43 Posted : 03 July 2013 09:04:02(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Try to run the train with the opposite side.I think that maybe one of the two front wheelbases is wrong.Take the two front pair of wheels and be sure that the distance between the wheels is the same with the other wheels of the train.If the train runs well with the opposite side,maybe that is your problem.I hope this can help you.
Offline Drongo  
#44 Posted : 03 July 2013 10:27:35(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Try to run the train with the opposite side.I think that maybe one of the two front wheelbases is wrong.Take the two front pair of wheels and be sure that the distance between the wheels is the same with the other wheels of the train.If the train runs well with the opposite side,maybe that is your problem.I hope this can help you.

Thanks Foumaro for your thoughts, however, I think I have identified the problem - there have been bits and pieces falling off the coupling assembly between the first and second carriage. I've contacted Marklin by email showing them of the problem, however, I've had no response. This is just poor quality control in their production, which makes a mockery of the Marklin TV which shows all the Q C that goes on in their factory. Remember, this is the third train that I've had, and all 3 have had problems. Cursing Cursing Cursing

Regards
Greg
Offline foumaro  
#45 Posted : 03 July 2013 14:30:26(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Maybe you have to be more careful with your choises,not only you,but all of us.For example,i will never buy a plastic train for so much money,if all of us have this behaviour,marklin will not produce plastic trains with poor guality.I prefer to have less locos and rolling stock,but locos and trains those are working reliable.If i have to spend for example 1000 euros for trains per year,i prefer to buy two locos those are reliable and working,and not four locos those are cheaper but have only problems.
Offline xxup  
#46 Posted : 04 July 2013 00:37:42(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Unfortunately, my Thalys will never run fast as the wheels fall off, but it looks every graceful running slowly around the layout.. The new Flying Duck has no problems whatsoever, but then it is made of metal and is very heavy..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Drongo  
#47 Posted : 04 July 2013 01:07:02(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Maybe you have to be more careful with your choises,not only you,but all of us.For example,i will never buy a plastic train for so much money,if all of us have this behaviour,marklin will not produce plastic trains with poor guality.I prefer to have less locos and rolling stock,but locos and trains those are working reliable.If i have to spend for example 1000 euros for trains per year,i prefer to buy two locos those are reliable and working,and not four locos those are cheaper but have only problems.

Hi PANAYOTIS & Adrian

Yes, I agree with you. There's just not enough weight in the carriages to keep them on the rails. An idea that I'm working on, is to place some lead weights inside the carriages. I've bought some from the local golf shop as they have double sided tape on them. The only problem is that the weights are only 3 grams each - I'll let you know how the experiment goes. Mellow

BTW Marklin sent me an email to say that they are sending me the parts for the coupling, however, these couplings are not the usual type and I have to install them. I think I'll be requesting some help on the forum when they arrive. Confused Confused Confused

Regards
Greg
Offline H0  
#48 Posted : 04 July 2013 07:46:35(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately, my Thalys will never run fast as the wheels fall off
This seems to be a common problem with Thalys and TGV POS: sometime the trucks are too wide, allowing too much movement of the axles which sometimes even fall off.
This could be the problem of the derailment in curves.

A club mate had a problem with his TGV POS that was always derailing in curves, but only in one direction. He sent it back - and the replacement train didn't have this problem.
I understand that sending back is not an option for Greg, but I do not know what really caused the problem and therefore cannot say which spare parts would be needed.
But too much movement of axles or inhibited movement of trucks are two aspects that Greg should check with his Thalys.

Not all Thalys trains derail, so I don't think that weight is a general problem. With trucks as they are used in plastic coaches, adding lead may not be the best idea (increasing wear on the axle bearings - and trucks often seem to be too wide anyway).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline foumaro  
#49 Posted : 04 July 2013 08:30:32(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I hope you will find a sollution Greg ,maybe the new couplers solve the problem.
Offline Drongo  
#50 Posted : 04 July 2013 14:48:52(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately, my Thalys will never run fast as the wheels fall off
This seems to be a common problem with Thalys and TGV POS: sometime the trucks are too wide, allowing too much movement of the axles which sometimes even fall off.
This could be the problem of the derailment in curves.

A club mate had a problem with his TGV POS that was always derailing in curves, but only in one direction. He sent it back - and the replacement train didn't have this problem.
I understand that sending back is not an option for Greg, but I do not know what really caused the problem and therefore cannot say which spare parts would be needed.
But too much movement of axles or inhibited movement of trucks are two aspects that Greg should check with his Thalys.

Not all Thalys trains derail, so I don't think that weight is a general problem. With trucks as they are used in plastic coaches, adding lead may not be the best idea (increasing wear on the axle bearings - and trucks often seem to be too wide anyway).

Thanks Tom, I'll have a closer look at the trucks to see if there's a lot of play in the axles. Also, this is my third Thalys and every one has had a problem. Perhaps I got the 3 bad ones - just my luck.

Regards
Greg