Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 20-VOLT-AC  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2012 10:46:09(UTC)
20-VOLT-AC

United Kingdom   
Hi Guys.
Are all the Harry Potter express sets 3-rail operation as i have vintage Marklin tracks and would like to run this train.
Thanks Neil.
1950's Marklin Fan .
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2012 10:54:28(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Neil,

The HARRY POTTER sets sold by Märklin are for the Märklin system and run fine on Märklin-tracks. The same loco was also sold in Hornby (w/o lights) and TRIX boxes. These versions are for two rail operation. Also the BACHMANN loco is for two rail operation.

Regards

Markus

Offline 20-VOLT-AC  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2012 10:59:42(UTC)
20-VOLT-AC

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Neil,

The HARRY POTTER sets sold by Märklin are for the Märklin system and run fine on Märklin-tracks. The same loco was also sold in Hornby (w/o lights) and TRIX boxes. These versions are for two rail operation. Also the BACHMANN loco is for two rail operation.

Regards

Markus

Hi Markus.
Thanks for that, is the "Hogwarts" loco metal bodied with a 3rd rail pickup and are the coach bodies made from plastic ?

Regards Neil.

1950's Marklin Fan .
Offline Markus Schild  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2012 11:05:48(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Neil,

Märklin bought the HORNBY loco in an OEM-version. It has a plastic body and a metal-chassis. The cars are made of plastic.

Regards

Markus

Offline DamonKelly  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2012 14:25:27(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Neil,

Märklin bought the HORNBY loco in an OEM-version. It has a plastic body and a metal-chassis. The cars are made of plastic.

Regards

Markus

Further: while the loco is satisfactory, it is certainly not up to the standard of even the "Hobby" range from Märklin. The wagons are quite good, though.
Cheers,
Damon
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 08 April 2012 19:51:22(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
The 'Castle' class loco was made in 1980s by 'Dapol Model railways' before Hornby brought some Dapol tooling in 1996.

Still it is a plastic loco and tender body. The passenger MK1 coaches was made by Tri-ang Railways in the 1960s to hornby today.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline AshleyH  
#7 Posted : 09 April 2012 00:58:22(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
Also worth pointing out that the models are OO Scale 4mm rather than HO Scale 3.5mm.

Some years ago I was told by someone at Marklin that they specified a higher grade of plastic than the one used by Hornby. I do not know I'd this was actually true.

A similar collaboration between Marklin and Hornby also took place with Thomas the Tank Engine and Percy I believe.
I guess these models were all produced at the Sanda Kan factory in China.
Offline hxmiesa  
#8 Posted : 12 April 2012 09:33:56(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Wow! Excellent detailed information on this subject. Thanks!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline dntower85  
#9 Posted : 12 April 2012 20:39:09(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
The brushes ware quickly and the brush plate communicator will need to be cleaned often compared to marklins motors.
Also had to had some weight on the front truck to keep it from derailing.
The front buffers will also swing wide on turns, it needs almost as much room as the BigBoy.
Front led light is a bright white blue ThumbDown

DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline Dimi194  
#10 Posted : 17 April 2012 12:39:38(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Originally Posted by: AshleyH Go to Quoted Post
Also worth pointing out that the models are OO Scale 4mm rather than HO Scale 3.5mm.

Some years ago I was told by someone at Marklin that they specified a higher grade of plastic than the one used by Hornby. I do not know I'd this was actually true.

A similar collaboration between Marklin and Hornby also took place with Thomas the Tank Engine and Percy I believe.
I guess these models were all produced at the Sanda Kan factory in China.

Yep, Marklin Thomas and Percy, PLUS the rolling stock are all Hornby redos. Hence Thomas has a bit of trouble around my layout! Sleep
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!
Offline NS1200  
#11 Posted : 17 April 2012 21:06:06(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Maerklin Harry Potter (who????) set 29550 seems to be identical to Hornby set R1033,where the former is AC 3 rail and the latter is DC 2 rail.
Strange sort of cooperation i call this.
Hornby trains have a typical British charm of their own,but they are not of Maerklin standard,and Maerklin should be careful not to give away their premium brand imagine,full metal bodies and all that.
It would almost seem that Hornby and Maerklin have made an agreement on dividing sales in Europe,Hornby rules the United Kingdom,Maerklin rules the continent,something like that.
As far as i can see,Hornby have not issued continental models,and Maerklin have not issued their own U.K.models,funny is it not?
As such,it is unlikely that Maerklin will ever issue a beauty like A4 Mallard or another british steamloco for that matter.

Apart from anything else,i think some Hornby trains are worth collecting,details are rather good,and some locomotives are real beauties,prices also very reasonable if you are used to Maerklin prices.

Check the following Hornby trainsets:
R1135 Sheffield Pullman
R1136 Yorkshire Pullman
R2436 The Pines Express
R1039 The Flying Scotsman
R1097 East Coast Pullman
R1073 The Orient Express (very nice!),
Night Mail (number unknown,nice little red steamloco)
The Evening Star (number unknown,nice little blue steamloco)
And many more!

I might be tempted........

Cheers,
Paul.

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline Markus Schild  
#12 Posted : 17 April 2012 21:27:10(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post

As far as i can see,Hornby have not issued continental models,and Maerklin have not issued their own U.K.models,funny is it not?

Hi Paul,

HORNBY uses its other brands for continental models which are RIVAROSSI, JOUEF, ARNOLD, LIMA and ELECTROTREN. Models of German prototypes are sold under the RIVAROSSI - brand, FRENCH models usually are packed in JOUEF-Boxes and Spanish models are marked as ELECTROTREN. But everything comes from HORNBY plc and is made in China.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild