Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline danmarklinman  
#101 Posted : 03 January 2015 16:51:13(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post

On a slightly different subject. Marklins new 18.5 steam locomotive was I think used by SNCB and SNCF after WW1 as war reparations.
Can any one confirm this as Marklin have done them in the past as a S3/6

During the first procurement phase (numbers 18.401-424, 18.425-434, 18.461-478) between 1908 and 1918, the Maffei company delivered 71 engines, of which 19 moved as reparation to France and Belgium after WW I. Being one of the aforementioned 19 reparation locos, a S3/6 in the brown paint scheme of the former French state railway ETAT pulled the legendary Orient Express. Maerklin offered a model of the latter in Z gauge as part of an Orient Express package.

Source (in German):
http://www.zettzeit.ch/pdf/VuM_01_06.pdf
Thanks for the info. We might just see one in HO with a bit of luck:) I already have 8108 orient express set in Z. I got it from my parents when I was 18!! Many many years agoCrying I now collect Marklin HO, although an SNCF jumbo in Z with full valve gear would intice me back to Z :)

HO models:
https://www.marklin-user...ing-Track.aspx#post55735

Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline kimballthurlow  
#102 Posted : 04 January 2015 00:32:13(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Another V wagon, this time loaded with what appears to be a container of washrooms/toilets?

UserPostedImage

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline danmarklinman  
#103 Posted : 04 January 2015 15:07:12(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Another V wagon, this time loaded with what appears to be a container of washrooms/toilets?

UserPostedImage

regards
Kimball

I have seen works trains with these on and a retired DB V100. Now that Marklin have retooled these diesels I woundered if they will do one in track company's such as seco Rail or others!! They did one some years ago for the channel tunnel construction.
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline kimballthurlow  
#104 Posted : 19 January 2015 23:03:48(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Cool model and perfectly in its place in NE France.
Speaking of NE network did you know that it is the only region in France where trains run on the right(side) track, like in Germany ?

Cheers

Hi,
To follow up on this, I found a network map (as of 2006) which indeed shows the right side running.
With acknowledgment to Rail Passion magazine.

It appears that in this modern day, bi-directional running is allowed on the main lines (in red), but the old rules still apply on the secondary lines (in blue).
And you can see at Molsheim/Mutzig south west of Strasbourg, where the right hand running changes to left hand running (and vice versa) by means of a flyover.

UserPostedImage

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#105 Posted : 27 November 2019 14:55:48(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Quote:
From BR 01097 (on pg 1 post #17)
I'm sharing the picture we who use Märklin to model the French railway system always hope to find: il ressemble au mistral qui suivi par une série des voitures de grands lignes qui pourraient être prises facilement pour des modèles de #346/3J et #4076.

Still having a bit of trouble selecting the appropriate dining (if there is one) for this consist--maybe one from the DSG.

Sage:

Found this article (en Français) - (you may already know of this; if so, please excuse the repeat):

http://fr.1001mags.com/parution...age-56-57-texte-integral
and the following 5 pages.

I do have a question: Are you bound for your "Mistral" to just our beloved Mother M? (Whisper Mode On Blushing ) I am using the Pocher 206/3 CIWL Pullman and hope to find the Pocher 214/3 CIWL Restaurant. The reason being that the Pocher have no 'destination boards/markings' so I can, well, basically, use them anywhere but especially for Le Mistral. (Whisper Mode Off Blushing )

Enjoy!

Jimmy

Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline jvuye  
#106 Posted : 29 November 2019 23:30:05(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Jimmy Thompson Go to Quoted Post
Quote:
From BR 01097 (on pg 1 post #17)
I'm sharing the picture we who use Märklin to model the French railway system always hope to find: il ressemble au mistral qui suivi par une série des voitures de grands lignes qui pourraient être prises facilement pour des modèles de #346/3J et #4076.

Still having a bit of trouble selecting the appropriate dining (if there is one) for this consist--maybe one from the DSG.

Sage:

Found this article (en Français) - (you may already know of this; if so, please excuse the repeat):

http://fr.1001mags.com/parution...age-56-57-texte-integral
and the following 5 pages.

I do have a question: Are you bound for your "Mistral" to just our beloved Mother M? (Whisper Mode On Blushing ) I am using the Pocher 206/3 CIWL Pullman and hope to find the Pocher 214/3 CIWL Restaurant. The reason being that the Pocher have no 'destination boards/markings' so I can, well, basically, use them anywhere but especially for Le Mistral. (Whisper Mode Off Blushing )

Enjoy!

Jimmy

Pocher's Pulmann car + Restaurant car will do , but they are hard to find!
On the other hand there are plenty of Jouef similar coaches that could do the trick, unless you really want to have scale models...which the Märklin coaches aren't anyway.Wink Wink
And then you still need the (blue) generator car that was made by VB

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#107 Posted : 29 November 2019 23:34:25(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
My Pocher Pullman was pure, complete, unadulterated good luck - right time, right place on fleabay!

Quote:

Talk about "hard to find" Oy!Woot And I think VB was the only house to make the generator car (correct?)

ThumpUp

Jimmy
Jimmy T
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline Michael4  
#108 Posted : 29 November 2019 23:35:56(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I now only have the the VB Mistral locomotive, but it may be VB-Lejeune, not sure how to tell the difference. The coaches and and the blue generator car have long since been lost. Too many children!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline jvuye  
#109 Posted : 29 November 2019 23:37:27(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Quote:

Talk about "hard to find" Oy!Woot

ThumpUp

Jimmy

I have two of them...that's one too many.Wink
Not cheap either
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#110 Posted : 29 November 2019 23:59:39(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Quote:
Not cheap either

Well, you could run 2 trains, one "each way". Or...Drool

Jimmy
Jimmy T
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#111 Posted : 30 November 2019 13:05:10(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
While on the subject of 'Le Mistral" and the generator wagon, what was its purpose? I think I can understand when it was under steam power in its early days, perhaps the electrical demands were more than a steam lok or car-axle generators could generate (I may be off the mark here also Blushing ...)? But why when the route was electrified and being hauled by the BB92nn? Were the demands still more than the lok and catenary could provide?

Thanks,

Jimmy
Jimmy T
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#112 Posted : 30 November 2019 15:29:50(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
I have also stumbled across this, though some may already know of this prototype resource:

http://openarchives.sncf.com/

Great images of SNCF BigGrin

Jimmy
Jimmy T
Offline Michael4  
#113 Posted : 30 November 2019 17:21:05(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
While on the subject of 'Le Mistral" and the generator wagon, what was its purpose? I think I can understand when it was under steam power in its early days, perhaps the electrical demands were more than a steam lok or car-axle generators could generate (I may be off the mark here also Blushing ...)? But why when the route was electrified and being hauled by the BB92nn? Were the demands still more than the lok and catenary could provide?

Thanks,

Jimmy

I thought it was for the air conditioning?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline jvuye  
#114 Posted : 30 November 2019 17:40:11(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

Thanks,

Jimmy

Good observations!

The electrification of the "Imperial line" Paris Lyon Marseille (Cannes) occurred in the late 40's and through the 1960's

First electrified section was Paris Lyon.

But in those day, the SNCF was still using the pre-war standard electrical system of 1500 V DC. (only later, newer electrification were made with 25kV/ 50 hz)

This implied a number of load limitations on these lines and the Mistral was really the first commercially used train to be fully AC equiped and the power demand (about 480 kW for the whole consist) would exceed what the older electric locos could supply. (e.g. 2D2, CC 7100)

Besides, the generator cars were designed to produce AC current , which is much more efficient to ditribute along and run motors/pumps/fans of the trains' air conditionning system

The section from Lyon to Marseille and onward remained under steam for a some time and thus the generator car also kept running for a long time.
The section along the Cote d'Azur from Marseille to Cannes was later served with diesels (BB 67000) but occasionally a few steam locos of the 141R type had to intervene.
So one could say that the Mistral was probably the only TEE ever to be operated under steam! Wink

The original Mistral 56 coaches (plus a few upgraded CIWL restaurant and pullman cars) with their generator cars were later used on some international TEE services like the Goethe and the Arbalète

BTW, the concept of generator car was also used a little later (and on a even bigger scale) by the Italian FS for the supply of their fabulous range of TEE coaches used both internationally (e.g. on the Mediolanum and the Lemano) and internally (e.g. Ambrosiano, Vesuvio, etc.)

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline jvuye  
#115 Posted : 30 November 2019 17:44:08(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Quote:
Not cheap either

Well, you could run 2 trains, one "each way". Or...Drool

Jimmy

They have both been "used" , but are in decent shape, and a reasonabme match with the Märklin coaches .
Interested in one? Wink

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#116 Posted : 30 November 2019 17:55:31(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Jacques,

Fabulous Information Indeed ThumpUp

PM sent...BigGrin

Jimmy
Jimmy T
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#117 Posted : 14 June 2022 21:47:23(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
I felt that I should drag this back as we have some new members, and who knows (?) there may be some more information in re our "French Connection"? Love

( still have my (other) coaches (Lima 9107 and Pocher CIWL 206/3 to run Le Mistral and my 2164 1999 M Club Car) as well as 4 Bordeaux wine cars (!) kind of waiting to acquire a bog-standard analogue 3038 BB 9200 )...just enough for my tres petite layout Cool

Peace...Paix

Edited by user 17 June 2022 00:50:59(UTC)  | Reason: Add Bordeaux

Jimmy T
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline Mark5  
#118 Posted : 30 June 2022 06:01:57(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Has anyone integrated a good amount of Jouef into their French 3-rail aka Marklin setups?

Was looking at a few coaches that a french has and thinking of trying my hand at upgrade and wheelset adjustment.
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline kimballthurlow  
#119 Posted : 30 June 2022 22:34:56(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello Mark,
I have quite a few of the 1960s Jouef and Hornby Acho 2 axle freight, and Acho passsenger cars.
I use C track and put Märklin wheels on the freight.
The Acho passenger cars seem to be OK with the original wheels.
The couplers can be an issue on the older models.
I managed to get NEM adaptors specifically for these older Jouef and Hornby 2 axle wagons from YD models in France.
http://www.ydmodels.com/catalog...ef3f1b10743920d4c903e117

As for era VI, I do have a few current issue Jouef and Rivarossi SNCF freight running without changing the wheelsets.

Maybe bogie cars or wagons are far more forgiving regarding wheels than 2 axle types on a Märklin layout.
But I just try them and change if necessary.

Kimball

Edited by user 01 July 2022 10:48:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Mark5  
#120 Posted : 01 July 2022 03:26:28(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Maybe bogie cars or wagons are far more forgiving regarding wheels than 2 axle types on a Märklin layout.
But I just try them and change of necessary.
- Kimball

Thank you Kimball, all quite helpful.

So far I tried a few Piko and Rivarossi along with Roco that have worked well on C-track, but not so well on M-track. Going over points/switches is where the snags come in from time to time.

On another note, I have wondered if one can see older SNCF rolling stock in motion in Morocco. I have been scouting around some websites and have thought of the possibility of doing a holiday (our 25th this year) flying into Casablanca and taking train down to Marrakech. Only just a thought so far... but the blogs and sites are saying the service is not far off from that of European train travel only much much cheaper.

However, I have yet to look into the TGV "Al Boraq" that was inaugurated in 2018.
If anyone has any words on this .... i know its a big jump in discussion from Jouef to actually taking the TGV in Morocco. Love
Laugh
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline Mark5  
#121 Posted : 02 July 2022 08:13:33(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Here is a pretty good video for SNCF geeks... as this ONCF Train "Al Boraq" and line was built under contract with the SNCF. They could not however call it the TGV for branding reasons and its the RGV "Train set" instead of "Train". Glare
Some other interesting features in the video...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark5