Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Chris6382chris  
#1 Posted : 31 December 2011 18:15:49(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
First, let me wish all of you a very Happy New Year. Now to the layout. I haven't been happy at my past attempts at building layouts, either the design wasn't that great, or it lacked something else that just made me want to tear it down and start over. And I am happy to say I did it again a couple weeks back after posting a video of my most recent attempt. After looking at the video I realized it wasn't what I wanted. So I sat down at the computer and actually used a computer program (XtraCad)and came up with a design that I really like. So this is what I have so far. I would be happy to hear your feedback and comments.

Chris

So here is the track plan - I have seperated into three drawings as I couldn't figure out how to best show the different levels.

This is level one, the lowest level you can also see part of level two in this drawing. The main parts of level one, the lowest level passing siding in the center of the layout and the three track siding for my brewery both of which will be visible, the hidden three track staging and the hidden reverse loop.
UserPostedImage

This is level two, here you can see the bulk of the layout, the main passenger area (three tracks in the center of the layout), the yard area to the left, and the engine servicing area and reversing loop. In addition the second level will have two hidden staging tracks behind the yard area.
UserPostedImage

And finally here is the third level. This is the highest point on the layout and these tracks will be a little over 8" above the lowest level tracks. This will be a branch line and will include a few small industries to be switched as well as a small station, it does have a passing siding so I can move engines around cars and have two trains on this line, thinking railbus and small tank engine.
UserPostedImage

And here are three photos of my progress to date. Today I hope to add all of the cross bracing for the legs of the layout and install the turnout motors and finish the second level staging.

This is what you see when you first walk in the room. I am out of track and waiting for a few shipments to arrive so I can start work on the third level. I am also waiting for some turnout motors and an ESU Switch Pilot so I can control the turnouts with my ECOS. I am only motorizing the switches that will be hidden and feed the staging area.
UserPostedImage

When you walk to the left this is your view, here you can see the upper reverse loop, the yard in the distance and the partial bracing for the third level branchline.
UserPostedImage

And finally this is just a shot of the lowest level showing the 4" distance between first and second level. You can see the reversing loop and a portion of the three track staging. The level above isn't screwed down or secured yet as I still need to install turnout motors and make a few track detection sections by isolating one of the outer rails.
UserPostedImage

Edited by user 06 January 2014 03:58:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Yumgui  
#2 Posted : 31 December 2011 19:51:01(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Chris,

Great plans! ThumpUp
Makes me wanna try that soft ... time willing ... Unsure
Nice benchwork too !

While I'm still trying to figure out the first two levels ... I have one comment on level three ... :

Originally Posted by: Chris6382chris Go to Quoted Post
And finally here is the third level. This is the highest point on the layout and these tracks will be a little over 8" above the lowest level tracks. This will be a branch line and will include a few small industries to be switched as well as a small station, it does have a passing siding so I can move engines around cars and have two trains on this line, thinking railbus and small tank engine.

Seems if you reverse the switches on the upper left, you can get two trains running simultaneously on the branch line with an automatic stop-and-wait at the station ... otherwise, one of the two trains will always be doing a reverse to get back on the main track ...
See pic attached for what I mean ^^.

My two cents,
Yum Tongue
Yumgui attached the following image(s):
newlayoutthirdlevel_mod.png
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on : http://www.arep.fr/en/#/welcome
Inspired by : http://www.nakedmarklin.com/ ... I am not alone in this universe, phew.
Offline petestra  
#3 Posted : 31 December 2011 20:02:18(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Chris. It's shaping up to be a great layout. I love the fact that it has access from
all sides easily. PeterSmile ThumpUp
Offline Chris6382chris  
#4 Posted : 31 December 2011 20:19:15(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Peter and Yum thanks for the nice comments. And Yum thanks for the great suggestion. I will look at that a bit more I think you might be on to something.

Chris
Online cookee_nz  
#5 Posted : 01 January 2012 01:02:54(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Nice plans, should be something to be proud of.

Love your subject heading though....

Newest and final layout - No more rebuilds add..... (until the next one!!!) Flapper Flapper

Brave words indeed

Cheers

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline beiqm  
#6 Posted : 01 January 2012 02:53:04(UTC)
beiqm

very spectacular layout!

Happy New Year~
From hangzhou blessing~

qimin bei
Laugh
Offline Ian555  
#7 Posted : 02 January 2012 07:57:55(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Chris,

Great looking start to the New layout. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline Chris6382chris  
#8 Posted : 04 January 2012 15:54:42(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Thanks everyone. I have made a couple changes since I last posted to the staging area(pics will be posted tomorrow). After trying my hand at automating my switches with Marklin switch motors and an ESU switch pilot ( I started with only 4 switches) I soon started to realize some of the other features of the ECOS and how easy it is to set up routes and have a graphical view of everything on your controller and how much easy you can run multiple trains.

That realization led me to also realize that with the way I had my staging set up I would have to back out my trains every so often to reposition them to run again back through my layout. I decided this wouldn't work (as I am not modelling alot of intercity push pull service) so I changed things in the staging area to allow my trains to set themselves up for the next run through my layout. The diagram below shows the changes made to the lower staging. I only powered 4 switches (the lower side of the diagram) as the plan is to have the trains run through an outside track through the reverse loop then back through the yard ladder based on the switch that I throw via the ECOS where the train will then sit and wait until called out again. When they leave they can come out regardless of the position of the switch (thus no motors).

UserPostedImage

I have more track, switch motors and switch Pilots on the way so hopefully this weekend I will have some more updates.

Chris
Offline Chris6382chris  
#9 Posted : 13 January 2012 03:43:27(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
So I have a few updates to report.

First, I made some final changes to the track plan concerning the third level. I deleted the switchback on the right hand side of the layout and put in a loop. This allows for a much nicer run. I also changed the siding toward the left/back corner of the third level. Again, this allows for a better flow and trains to pass or engines to run around up to three wagons.

This is a diagram of the new upper track plan as it is running now.

UserPostedImage

Second, after trying out a swith pilot and putting motors in 4 turnouts I decided to add motors to all of my turnouts. So I just added another 8 turnout motors and two more switch pilots. I must say, the decoders are very easy to use and the price is right. And the new Marklin Motors are great as well. I am really enjoying this new feature (new for me).

Finally, I need to finish the benchwork for the third level and once that is all cut out and ready for installation I will then go back and finalize everything on the second level (adding feeder wires and really just making sure everything is as close to perfect as possible before covering it up with the third level.) So far everything has been running great with no problems. My guess is I have a few more weeks of working on this stuff before I can say all track work is 100% complete and I am ready for the fascia boards and eventually scenery.

Here are a few pictures.

The industrial loop and branchline beginning.
UserPostedImage

The reworked engine servicing area.
UserPostedImage

The beginning of the yard ladder and a shot of where the refinery will go.
UserPostedImage

And finally looking long ways down the middle section of the layout.
UserPostedImage

My humble start so far.

Chris

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Chris6382chris
Offline Ian555  
#10 Posted : 13 January 2012 06:37:53(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Chris,

Excellent work. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline kariosls37  
#11 Posted : 13 January 2012 07:17:24(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Looks very promising Chris, Keep it up.
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 13 January 2012 07:42:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Looks very good, Chris! ThumpUp

Looking forward to seeing more!
Ray

Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline utkan  
#13 Posted : 13 January 2012 08:03:41(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
The real job is now starting,Chris....ThumpUp
UserPostedImage

The world is analog!
Offline petestra  
#14 Posted : 13 January 2012 11:18:54(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Looks super,Chris! PeterThumpUp Smile
Offline Loadmaster  
#15 Posted : 13 January 2012 20:12:09(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
Hi Chris,

I hope it's finished by EuroWest, LOL..........
HOac and Z scale running SBB/BLS Era IV-VUserPostedImage
Offline Joe Meiring  
#16 Posted : 13 January 2012 20:47:51(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
thanks for sharing Chris...looking GREAT!!
Joe
Offline foumaro  
#17 Posted : 14 January 2012 04:34:20(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
You have a great plan for a great layout but if it is possible for you think of a turntable.You have a lot of space.
Offline Johnvr  
#18 Posted : 14 January 2012 08:25:46(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Chris,

Looking great !

As a suggestion, would you consider placing a long bridge over the 'entrance' way, connecting the left side to the right side over the bridge ? Would you be able to make a bridge on a swing or a pivot so that you could lift it up for someone to enter, or otherwise slide it into position ? Just a thought, because it would give you an additional running line all around the outside of the layout.

Also wanted to ask you about this picture.
Is the steam locomotive in the picture a Class 23 locomotive 3005 with a decoder installed ? It looks to be an older loco than the new ones from M.

UserPostedImage

Regards,BigGrin
John
Offline Chris6382chris  
#19 Posted : 14 January 2012 17:14:34(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Everyone, thanks for the nice comments. And this time around I didn't think of a turntable. (I passed on an older mint turntable and shed last year because it wasn't going to fit on my old layout, I could have gotten them both for cheap but I passedCrying, what was I thinking.)

Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post
Chris,

Looking great !

As a suggestion, would you consider placing a long bridge over the 'entrance' way, connecting the left side to the right side over the bridge ? Would you be able to make a bridge on a swing or a pivot so that you could lift it up for someone to enter, or otherwise slide it into position ? Just a thought, because it would give you an additional running line all around the outside of the layout.

Also wanted to ask you about this picture.
Is the steam locomotive in the picture a Class 23 locomotive 3005 with a decoder installed ? It looks to be an older loco than the new ones from M.

Regards,BigGrin
John

John:

Thanks for the suggestion concerning the bridge but after trying some different designs I have decided that having a duck under bridge or something that swings out just isn't for me for this layout. Per my diagram above I did change the layout on the right side, see the pic below, also the elevation change looks really steep but it is an illusion as one track is rising as the other is descending, the total grade change is a 3.75%.

UserPostedImage
This allows for a nonstop run on the branchline until I hit the end of the line. From the main to the end of the branchline the running time takes a while (and I am not even done with the line yet) so I am happy with it. I also included a passing siding so I will be able to move an engine around a set of cars or I will be able to have two trains on the line and let them pass each other.

In this picture you can see what I have done on the third level so far (some of it is temporary as I am fitting everything in place). The last portion of the third level will follow the back of the far left side of the layout where it will dead end into a small industry with two tracks. You can see the back risers already in place.

UserPostedImage

As to your question concerning the BR 23. I bought it secondhand this past year from a dealer who came into some Marklin from a widow whose husband had passed 20 + years ago. The engine is all metal, the tender is plastic and I am guessing it is from the late 1960s.

The engine was in good shape but was dirty and hadn't been run in 20+ years. I cleaned out the motor, replaced the tires and slider and added an ESU LokSound 4.0 chip. I put the speaker in the tender, I replaced the front lights with LED's and added rear lights for the tender, I also added a red LED in the cab area to simulate the red flicker of a fire box. I am considering adding a smoke unit but this would require me to drill through the top of the boiler and I don't know if I want to do that to be honest. Of all of my engines, this engine is the smoothest running one that I have. The craftmanship shows on this engine. It has become my favorite.

Here are some pictures of it.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Ian555  
#20 Posted : 14 January 2012 17:34:59(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Chris,

Great work on the layout. ThumpUp

Nice looking BR23 3005.

Ian.

Offline Johnvr  
#21 Posted : 14 January 2012 19:51:26(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Chris,

Thank you so much for explaining to me the background of your BR23. I have also installed decoders into mine and they also run very smoothly. The wheels and rods really look impressive.

Layout looking very interesting !!

Regards,BigGrin
John
Offline petestra  
#22 Posted : 14 January 2012 22:58:23(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Chris, I love your mid-sized beauty. It's just a fabulously classic
Lok. The layout is coming along very nicely too. PeterThumpUp Smile
Offline EuroKev  
#23 Posted : 15 January 2012 00:00:17(UTC)
EuroKev

I really like the layout and the nice classic loco. Nice work and please keep us posted on your progress. Thanks
Kev
Offline Chris6382chris  
#24 Posted : 15 January 2012 19:05:53(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Thanks for compliments. Here are a couple video's of the new layout with the BR 23, BR 85, P-8, and my Ludmilla running on it. Sorry about my video skills, I am still working on that.

Chris

Edited by user 16 January 2012 01:52:31(UTC)  | Reason: Youtube video links put directly in to forum post using the youtube forum tags /Webmaster

Offline steventrain  
#25 Posted : 15 January 2012 20:08:48(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very good.ThumpUp
Largest marklinist Layout with Centrail station 2/Mobile station 2/60174 boosters/C-Tracks/K-Tracks/Favorites class BR01, BR23, BR50/Insider Club membership since 2004.
Offline Ian555  
#26 Posted : 15 January 2012 20:52:20(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Chris,

Banana wagons and a BR23, my kind of video. Smile ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline Yumgui  
#27 Posted : 16 January 2012 07:38:28(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Great Chris !

Nice lookin' trains, great benchwork, nice level changes to the right ... among other things ThumpUp

Very inspiring,

Yum Tongue
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on : http://www.arep.fr/en/#/welcome
Inspired by : http://www.nakedmarklin.com/ ... I am not alone in this universe, phew.
Offline petestra  
#28 Posted : 16 January 2012 11:29:37(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Very nice videos,Chris. PeterThumpUp Smile
Offline utkan  
#29 Posted : 16 January 2012 11:44:13(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
WOW Drool Drool Drool
UserPostedImage

The world is analog!
Offline Chris6382chris  
#30 Posted : 16 January 2012 15:29:06(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Thanks everyone. I have some finishing work still to do on the benchwork and subroadbed but once that is all finished I will be able to start on scenery.

Offline Chris6382chris  
#31 Posted : 07 March 2012 17:24:31(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Hello everyone. It has been a while since I have posted on here as I have been really busy with work lately. In any event I have been able to get some work done on my layout and I have improved my picture taking abilities a bit (with the help of a tripod).

Here are some new pictures of the layout, I have done some scenery on the industrial part, yard and engine area. Here it is.

Industrial area with a small warehouse and two working cranes.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Yard area next to the small fuel Tank farm

UserPostedImage

and a few pictures of the engine servicing area (I have the diesel area to the left and the steam area to the right with the coal and water loading area in the middle)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

So that is it so far.

Offline petestra  
#32 Posted : 07 March 2012 17:52:01(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Chris, the layout looks great! It's really starting to take on a definite style. Your photos look super too!
PeterThumpUp Smile
Offline RayF  
#33 Posted : 07 March 2012 18:17:28(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Great photos, Chris.

Your layout is really looking good! ThumpUp
Ray

Offline BrandonVA  
#34 Posted : 07 March 2012 18:24:31(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Chris,

Very nice. May I asked what the paved roads are made out of?

-Brandon
Offline hennabm  
#35 Posted : 07 March 2012 22:23:03(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Chris

looking goodThumpUp

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Chris6382chris  
#36 Posted : 07 March 2012 23:14:05(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
Chris,

Very nice. May I asked what the paved roads are made out of?

-Brandon

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

The roads are made of foam board that I buy at the dollar store. I then cut it to shape and paint it the shade of grey I want. The one thing I would caution people about with the foam board is be careful to seal the edge of the road with plaster of paris or some other material otherwise when you do the scenicing you the water in the glue mixture can be sucked up by the foam board and the paper will come apart from the foam. The other option is to use a better quality foam core board. This doesn't seem to be a problem with a little better quality foam board.

Chris
Offline Ian555  
#37 Posted : 08 March 2012 07:23:46(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Chris,

Great photo's of the layout. ThumpUp

And, I notice there's always a banana van in them. Smile

Ian.

Offline BrandonVA  
#38 Posted : 08 March 2012 13:29:22(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: Chris6382chris Go to Quoted Post

The roads are made of foam board that I buy at the dollar store. I then cut it to shape and paint it the shade of grey I want. The one thing I would caution people about with the foam board is be careful to seal the edge of the road with plaster of paris or some other material otherwise when you do the scenicing you the water in the glue mixture can be sucked up by the foam board and the paper will come apart from the foam. The other option is to use a better quality foam core board. This doesn't seem to be a problem with a little better quality foam board.

Chris

Chris,

Thank you. I thought that may be it...I was actually thinking of trying that myself. I have used WS "Smooth-It" in some places, but not 100% happy wit hit. I am sure a lot of it is me, but looking for some other options, this one looks good. Gives a nice uniform look.

-Brandon
Offline Chris6382chris  
#39 Posted : 13 March 2012 03:05:07(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
I have done a little more work on the layout over the weekend. I wired the switches for the station area and started some of the scenery work.

UserPostedImage

The industrial area and yard at night.

UserPostedImage

The big glowing light at the right toward the back is the 4 lamp yard light.

UserPostedImage
Offline Ian555  
#40 Posted : 13 March 2012 08:12:08(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Chris,

Great photo's. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline Chris6382chris  
#41 Posted : 13 March 2012 14:45:19(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Thanks Ian. I see your train room is coming along nicely also.

Chris
Offline pab  
#42 Posted : 13 March 2012 20:19:51(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
Very nice nightshots. Nice progress too.
Offline petestra  
#43 Posted : 13 March 2012 20:53:45(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Evening photos look super, Chris. PeterThumpUp Smile
Offline hennabm  
#44 Posted : 16 March 2012 16:45:23(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Chris

excellent night shots of the yardThumpUp

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Chris6382chris  
#45 Posted : 16 March 2012 16:51:38(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Thanks for the comments. This weekend I am going to get some more scenery work done, so we shall see how that goes.

Chris
Offline hennabm  
#46 Posted : 16 March 2012 17:13:19(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Chris

you and me both, if the weather will allow BigGrin

Look forward to seeing your progressThumpUp

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Chris6382chris  
#47 Posted : 20 May 2012 04:20:08(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Hi everyone. Time for an update on the layout. Since I last posted I have worked on three areas. 1) the section to the right of the engine servicing area at all three levels. 2) The scenery below the station area which is the same section where I have my ECOS located. 3) The area when you first walk into the train room which contains the Brewery (now on the upper level branch line) and the Co-Op for my banana wagons and other perishables. As always, I need to add alot of details, people, and other finishing touches to each scenery area but I am happy with the progress.

Here are the pictures.

Section to the Right of the Engine Servicing area -
Looking right to left
UserPostedImage

Looking toward the engine shed with the new scenery behind it
UserPostedImage

Below the station area (longest straight section of the layout) with my BR 23 pulling a small passenger train
UserPostedImage

Close up of the BR 23 and the brick retaining wall
UserPostedImage

Brewery / Co-Op section of the layout (work in progress)
here you can see the brewery, a bunch of Beer Wagons and my BR 86 working the branch line heading for the yard at the end of the line
UserPostedImage

Two pictures from different angles of the Co-Op and my E-41 Electric pulling a passenger train up the hill
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

And a few more random shots of my layout
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

And that is all I have to report tonight.
Offline Ian555  
#48 Posted : 20 May 2012 05:10:29(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Chris,

Lots of work being done on your layout. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline Johnvr  
#49 Posted : 20 May 2012 07:23:15(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Chris,

Looks fantastic. Keep up the good work and post more pictures as you go !

Regards,BigGrin
John
Offline RayF  
#50 Posted : 20 May 2012 08:10:00(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Great pictures, Chris! ThumpUp

Your layout is coming along nicely!
Ray