Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jeehring  
#1 Posted : 18 December 2011 12:47:14(UTC)
jeehring

yesterday I had a visit to a Marklin dealer. He showed me the new decoders in their original packaging.
By comparison with same kind of items from other manufacturers on the market , I was just impressed : all is veeeery clean. I had a close examination of the ref 60924 mLD decoder, all is made to give the user an easy access and clear understanding of the "thing" : nice grey box with compartments, to accompagny the decoder with a separate connector circuit board is a great idea. It is a 21 poles connector, all the wires are soldered (clean work),there is a plastic plate (well known model) and a screw for isolation (if needed)...

Above all,... the reason why I open this topic is the instruction manual.
The first time in my life I've seen such a complete and clear manual for a MRR decoder. I have read it completely. Many explanations, good explanations about... everything! Clear & useful shematics, good text, how and why about each point: connection, wiring, installation, use, etc.... This is also the first time I read a PERFECT, pleasant and accurate French translation in a Marklin instruction manual.**** The English translation seems to be in the same vein... Marklin really has made an effort.

About the tuning of CV's :.
For FX and DCC all CV's are there. For each CV there is an explanation. (clear & complete)
For Fx (motorola) CV's from N°1 to N°75 (if my memory serves me correctly)
For DCC , all CV's from CV N°1 to CV N°455 (.
For MFX, they stay in the spirit of MFX : no need to create an adress, automatic registering all is on the CS2 .
Good product.....+ smart & sweet price.

**** PS : On Insider Magazine N° 6, it was the first time I noticed a perfect French Translation as well. It seems that Marklin are dealing with some truly professionnal translators now... good news !

(anyway....I open topics only about positive points & the Marklin items I liked....I rarely open topics about things that are not for my liking - )

Edited by user 19 December 2011 11:01:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline Davy  
#2 Posted : 20 December 2011 00:19:43(UTC)
Davy

If you can read German.

There is on Stummi's forum a topic over the new Marklin sound decoders.
http://www.stummiforum.d...pic.php?f=33&t=68161

M-track with a CS2.
Offline mmervine  
#3 Posted : 20 December 2011 02:45:05(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
I am heavily invested in ESU decoders and have an ECoS, Lokprogrammer, and test stand, so I won't be buying any of the new decoders.

With that being said, I think it is awesome that Marklin is producing these kits. I have a few friends that will want to take advantage of these.

I recently posted how impressed I was at the new motor upgrade kits. I just upgraded two 20+ year old analog loks with new motor parts, lights, sockets, decoders, etc. Now they are digital and run great!BigGrin

How many other companies would produce upgrade kits for models that haven't been made for years?

Thanks Marklin!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 20 December 2011 04:22:16(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
yesterday I had a visit to a Marklin dealer. He showed me the new decoders in their original packaging.
By comparison with same kind of items from other manufacturers on the market , I was just impressed : all is very clean. I had a close examination of the ref 60924 mLD decoder, all is made to give the user an easy access and clear understanding of the "thing" : nice grey box with compartments, to accompagny the decoder with a separate connector circuit board is a great idea. It is a 21 poles connector, all the wires are soldered (clean work),there is a plastic plate (well known model) and a screw for isolation (if needed)...

The first time in my life I've seen such a complete and clear manual for a MRR decoder. I have read it completely. Many explanations, good explanations about... everything! Clear & useful schematics, good text, how and why about each point: connection, wiring, installation, use, etc.... This is also the first time I read a PERFECT, pleasant and accurate French translation in a Marklin instruction manual.**** The English translation seems to be in the same vein... Marklin really has made an effort.

For FX and DCC all CV's are there. For each CV there is an explanation. (clear & complete)
For MFX, they stay in the spirit of MFX : no need to create an adress, automatic registering all is on the CS2 .

**** PS : On Insider Magazine N° 6, it was the first time I noticed a perfect French Translation as well. It seems that Marklin are dealing with some truly professionnal translators now... good news !

(anyway....I open topics only about positive points & the Marklin items I liked....I rarely open topics about things that are not for my liking - )

Thanks for the "fluff" piece.

How the decoders look in their packaging should definitely come in secondary behind how the function and how they are designed.

I recently replaced a blown Maerklin ESU OEM 3.0 M4 Lokpilot with one of ESU's own and it was a simple matter of removing the damaged decoder, clipping the new one in it's place, and then writing the settings from the original one into the new decoder. Fortunately I have a Lokprogrammer and had been able to save the settings of the original decoder when I received it.

I have not seen the instructions, nor the original packaging, but I have been following the various threads in German and English topics and have noted a few areas where it seems the information could be better provided. For example, the thread in the Digital Topic about Speaker Cables https://www.marklin-user...er-cables-mSD-60949.aspx illustrates a problem with Maerklin's diagrams and instructions. The instructions clearly show the speaker cables situated in such a position where they will likely be damaged and pose a potential risk of short as the location will result in the cables being pressed between the shell and the chassis. Jonas' proposed solution of relocating the wires to the side alleviates the problem, but this is something that Maerklin should have foreseen, either by incorporating a little cutout in the circuit board, or by routing the wires as done by Jonas.

There is no problem with posting topics about things that you like, but sometimes, one can just start a topic in order to foster discussion, whether you like it or not. Each person is free to "like" or "dislike" and to make up their own mind about any product or discussion.

For example you can see my topic about the new mSD decoders for the Hobby loks https://www.marklin-user...tst20837_Hobby-Loks.aspx and how they take a "Hobby" lok to the price of a regular lok while the lok still is missing features you would expect for that price range.

Regards and Joyeux Noel.

Mike C
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2011 07:57:49(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mmervine Go to Quoted Post
How many other companies would produce upgrade kits for models that haven't been made for years?
Yeah - all the other companies have been using DC motors for decades and don't have to provide motor conversion kits.
Most other companies have been using decoder sockets for years and don't have to provide replacement PCBs for old locos.

The sound option for the BR 185 was announced in 2004. Now, when nobody expected it any more, they release it in 2011.

With Märklin, availability of spare parts for old models is still good (but was better a few years ago).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 20 December 2011 10:08:24(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mmervine Go to Quoted Post
Yeah - all the other companies have been using DC motors for decades and don't have to provide motor conversion kits.
Most other companies have been using decoder sockets for years and don't have to provide replacement PCBs for old locos.

The sound option for the BR 185 was announced in 2004. Now, when nobody expected it any more, they release it in 2011.

With Märklin, availability of spare parts for old models is still good (but was better a few years ago).

Tom,

Allthough this is very true, Roco for instance has had the 8 pole plug for years since it introduced digital locos but the SBB Be 6/8 didn't see this conversion a few years later and the same goes for the Swiss light direction on this model, came into production when they decided to use Led's.
If I'm correct, they also changed the motor or updated it, so to update an older Roco model it is in my opinion pretty much the same in price [digital electronic board, motor, decoder, Led's (as an option)] but maybe less parts and hours to update the model.
You are right when saying older spare parts are not as ready available as they used to be, either they sold them off and have not reproduced them (economical not viable in small numbers) and secondly, I think the demand is maybe higher than their production level.

It also amazes me, with marklin's track record and a previous attempt by introducing ball bearings, they have not followed up on it.
All my locos will be converted with ball bearings and some of the older ones wheras the armatureshaft has a different diameter at the back of it, one can add a 6mm ballbearing or use a 4mm ball bearing and reduce the diameter on the armature shaft.
I think the most important part is, you dont have oil the armature shaft as it has over years shown it does seize up on occasions or it starts making a horrible noise.

On the other hand one is wondering, why introduce these decoder and conversion sets in the first place.
It is a money spinner for the company and it doesn't need any extra work to design or manufacture them.

It is odd, over all these years they have produced an inferior motorshield but never found it essential to update it and design a better version of it.
When the brushholder assembly is pressed onto the motorshield (by machine), the force pushed the brush holder upwards and therefore ruins the true alighment with the armature (off 90°) making the loco run less efficiently.

My point I like to make, Marklin is introducing sets (congratulations) but my priority would be or my preference would be to update a long awaited, outdated brushplate and as Ray mentioned from time to time, outdated stamped cogwheels.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline jeehring  
#7 Posted : 20 December 2011 12:52:19(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
By comparison with same kind of items from other manufacturers on the market , I was just impressed : all is very clean. I had a close examination of the ref 60924 mLD decoder, all is made to give the user an easy access and clear understanding of the "thing" : nice grey box with compartments, to accompagny the decoder with a separate connector circuit board is a great idea. It is a 21 poles connector, all the wires are soldered (clean work),there is a plastic plate (well known model) and a screw for isolation (if needed)...

The first time in my life I've seen such a complete and clear manual for a MRR decoder. I have read it completely. Many explanations, good explanations about... everything! Clear & useful schematics, good text, how and why about each point: connection, wiring, installation, use, etc.... This is also the first time I read a PERFECT, pleasant and accurate French translation in a Marklin instruction manual.**** The English translation seems to be in the same vein... Marklin really has made an effort.

Thanks for the "fluff" piece.

Mike C

The "fluff" piece was only to say that the whole range of Marklin decoders is now available in shops, also to tell about the quality of the instruction manual with it's quality of information....specially in foreign languages...(probably in German too)
Have you seen the poor quality of the manual of instruction of most decoder-manufacturers these last 10 years + their lack of information ?
I'm hopeless in electronics & digital things....For someone like me, the day I'll convert some of my "old" Loks into MFX protocole , the quality of the leaflet is reassuring.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 22 December 2011 08:11:06(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The manual for 60949 can be downloaded from
Code:
 http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/60949_betrieb.pdf

(As Tom says a few posts down, you need to copy and paste this url into your browser.)

Edited by user 22 December 2011 20:24:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jeehring  
#9 Posted : 22 December 2011 10:23:55(UTC)
jeehring

the link above doesn't work for me....
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 22 December 2011 10:30:14(UTC)
H0

the link above doesn't work for me....
Märklin do not allow deep linking, paste the URL into the address field of your browser:
Code:
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/60949_betrieb.pdf

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kimballthurlow  
#11 Posted : 22 December 2011 11:05:03(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
... I had a close examination of the ref 60924 mLD decoder, all is made to give the user an easy access and clear understanding of the "thing" : ....

Hi Roland,

Did you mean the 60942, which is one of the decoders recently released?

To be honest, I have never bothered with any upgrades before.
But there are some nice older Marklin locos out there, with impeccable mechanisms, highly recommended by many analogue users, and they are just begging to be upgraded with sound and/or other functions.

I for one, will be highly interested in this progress. Marklin to my way of thinking, have encouraged real progress in this hobby. They have indicated their commitment, and at the same time, proven their support for their oldest customers.

Because of these new Marklin releases, I have already taken steps toward my first upgrade, and it is an all-Marklin loco and an all-Marklin upgrade. I am too old to be messing with them myself, or with brands other than Marklin. (My apologies to all you clever people out there who have successfully done many upgrades using other equipment, I respect your abilities. As shown by John (river6109), many work brilliantly).

Thank you, Marklin.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline jeehring  
#12 Posted : 22 December 2011 18:44:11(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
... I had a close examination of the ref 60924 mLD decoder, all is made to give the user an easy access and clear understanding of the "thing" : ....

Hi Roland,

Did you mean the 60942, which is one of the decoders recently released?

To be honest, I have never bothered with any upgrades before.
But there are some nice older Marklin locos out there, with impeccable mechanisms, highly recommended by many analogue users, and they are just begging to be upgraded with sound and/or other functions.

I for one, will be highly interested in this progress. Marklin to my way of thinking, have encouraged real progress in this hobby. They have indicated their commitment, and at the same time, proven their support for their oldest customers.

Because of these new Marklin releases, I have already taken steps toward my first upgrade, and it is an all-Marklin loco and an all-Marklin upgrade. I am too old to be messing with them myself, or with brands other than Marklin. (My apologies to all you clever people out there who have successfully done many upgrades using other equipment, I respect your abilities. As shown by John (river6109), many work brilliantly).

Thank you, Marklin.

regards
Kimball

Yes Kimball, thank you for correcting my typo mistake, it was the 60942 decoder(without sound).
About Marklin your way of thinking is also mine.
Now I understand why so many different references...Reading the instructions leaflet of the ref 60949 we can see also the practical advantages of an "all Marklin solution", good service, easy mounting, this decoder perfectly fitted with Hobby Loks......
BTW I didn't know the function "open doors/close doors". Page 45 in the "trouble shootings" chapter they said " a Lok won't run as long as the function "doors close" is not activated...;I wonder how many people remembered it while facing an hopelessly motionless machine...BigGrin RollEyes Wink
Offline jeehring  
#13 Posted : 22 December 2011 20:49:12(UTC)
jeehring

Even if we are making German, US, Swiss, Belgian, any type of foreign Railways, I wonder if there is a possibility for Marklin to provide station announcements translated in our native language....
At least to give us the choice to load the announcements in a choosen language.It may be beside the original announcement or in place of it...As a french , even with my era 3 German trains on my layout having announcements in French should be more pleasant (just because I don't speak German )...

Edited by user 23 December 2011 10:18:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Webmaster  
#14 Posted : 22 December 2011 21:00:48(UTC)
Webmaster

Must admit, best decoder manual I have seen... Ever...
And I've seen quite a few from different manufacturers...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#15 Posted : 05 January 2012 00:10:14(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Some more information on these decoders from the latest Digital Newsletter.

New Decoders
The new digital decoders which have been presented in an earlier newsletter are beginning to
be delivered. Some of these decoders allow for sound editing through the CS2. If you have an
interest in these decoders you should review the new web page from Märklin:

http://www.maerklin.de/d...tes/standard-sounds.html

A manual accompanies each decoder with detailed information on installation and editing of
CVs in formats that include: MM2, MFX, and DCC. The text is in both German and English. Below is
the introduction from the manual:

Using the Product as Intended
The decoders are for converting Märklin/Trix H0 locomotives to digital.
! Not suitable for motors with field-wound coils. Locomotives with these motors must be converted
with the appropriate motor retrofit kits, item numbers 60941, 60943, or 60944.

! Important: The following locomotives have locomotive-specific decoders and cannot be converted
with this decoder.

29094 (only E 94)
29440 (only E 10)
29500 (only E 50)

Contents as Delivered
1 Decoder
1 Circuit board with an 8-pin connector
1 Speaker small
1 Speaker big
1 Adhesive pad Installation instructions Warranty card

Tools also needed for the installation procedure include: regular and cross-point screwdrivers,
tweezers, and soldering station with a maximum soldering temperature of up to 30
watts / 300˚Celsius / 572˚Fahrenheit with a fine tip, soldering
flux for electronics (0.5 - 1 mm / 0.02” - 0.04” diameter), desoldering braid or a de-soldering
pump.

Technical Information
• Continuous current load at the motor output ≤ 1.1 amps
• Current load at the light outputs ≤ 250 milliamps
• Current load at AUX 1 - AUX 2 each ≤ 250 milliamps
• Current load at AUX + lights (total) ≤ 300 milliamps
• Current load for motor and AUX 5/6 ≤ 1.1 amps
• Maximum total load ≤ 1.6 amps
• Maximum voltage ≤ 40 volts
• Sound performance (at 4 Ω /8 Ω) 2.3 watts / 1.2 watts
• Short circuit and overload protection at the outputs lights front (LV), lights rear (LH), AUX 1 -
AUX 2 and at the motor outputs.

Functions
The mSD Sound Decoder is a sound decoder with very extensive setting and adaptation possibilities.
Additional sound functions are available. This decoder can be updated. The requirement for this is
an appropriate controller (60213/60214/60215 Central Station, software Version 2.0, track format
processor GFP 2.0 or higher). The settings and digital functions can only be used in digital
operation. However, the same possibilities are not available in all protocols. These instructions
describe the installation and the possible settings for the 60948 and 60949 decoders. Unless
otherwise stated, the functions refer to decoders 60945/60946/60947/ 60965/60966/60967 .
• Capable of multi-protocols (fx (MM), mfx, DCC, and AC/DC).
• Automatic system recognition. The address assigned to each system must be used for operation.
• Acceleration and braking delay can be set separately from each other. Any function button desired
can be assigned using the function mapping.
• Typical sound backdrops for diesel and electric locomotives are included.
• Variable motor feedback control is available in digital as well as in analog operation.
• 6090, 60901, DC, and can motors with bell-shaped armatures are supported. Its necessary to see
the table on page 2. These locomotives can not be converted with this set.
• Function mapping included.
• Can be updated with the CS2 (Software 2.0, track format processor GFP 2.0 or higher).
• Programming on the Main (PoM) this type of programming must be supported by the controller.
Please note the instructions for your controller when doing this.
• Switching range can be set.
• Braking / signal stopping block recognition is available in digital operation.

Multi-Protocol Operation

Analog Operation
This decoder can also be operated on analog layouts or areas of track that are analog. The decoder
recognizes alternating current or direct current voltage (AC/DC) and automatically adapts to the
analog track voltage. All functions that were set under mfx or DCC for analog operation are active.

Digital Operation
The mSD sound decoders are multi-protocol decoders. These decoders can be used under the following
digital protocols: mfx, DCC, fx (MM). The digital protocol with the most possibilities is the
highest order digital protocol. The sequence of digital protocols in descending order is:
Priority 1: mfx Priority 2: DCC Priority 3: fx (MM)
Note: Digital protocols can influence each other. For trouble free operation, we recommend
deactivating those digital protocols not needed by using CV 50. Deactivate unneeded digital
protocols at this CV if your controller supports this function. If two or more digital protocols
are recognized in the track, the decoder automatically takes on the highest order digital protocol,
example: mfx/DCC; the decoder takes on the mfx digital protocol (see previous table).

Note: Please note that not all functions are possible in all digital protocols. Several settings
for functions, which are supposed to be active in analog operation, can be done under mfx and DCC.

Braking / Signal Stopping Block (MM, fx, mfx)
The braking module essentially applies DC voltage to the track. If the decoder recognizes a DC
voltage of this kind in the track, it brakes with the delay that has been set. If the decoder
recognizes a digital protocol again, it accelerates at the speed that has been set. If automatic
recognition in braking areas is to be used, we recommend shutting the DC operation off (see CV
description).

mfx Protocol

Addresses
• No address is required; each decoder is given a onetime, unique identifier (UID).
• The decoder automatically registers itself on a Central Station or a Mobile Station with its UID.

Programming
• The characteristics can be programmed using the graphic screen on the Central Station or also
partially with the Mobile Station.
• All of the Configuration Variables (CV) can be read and programmed repeatedly.
• The programming can be done either on the main track or the programming track.
• The default settings (factory settings) can be produced repeatedly.
• Function mapping: Functions can be assigned to any of the function buttons with the help of the
60212 Central Station (with limitations) and with the 60213/60214/60215 Central Station (See help
section in the Central Station).

fx (Motorola) Protocol

Addresses
• 4 addresses (a main address and 3 consecutive addresses)
• Address range: 1 - 255 depending on the controller / central controller
• The main address can be programmed manually.
• The consecutive addresses can be turned on, turned off, set and can be programmed manually or
automatically.
• All 16 functions can be controlled by means of the four addresses.

Programming
• The characteristics can be programmed for the decoder can be programmed repeatedly using the
programming for the Configuration Variables (CV). Reading the CVs is not possible.
• The CV numbers and the CV values are entered directly.
• Program the CVs only on the programming track.
• 14 or 27 speed levels can be programmed.
• The first four functions and the lights can always be controlled by means of the first address;
additional functions can be used, depending on the consecutive addresses.
• All of the settings from the function mapping for mfx or DCC programming are taken on for fx
(Motorola).
• Automatic recognition corresponding to the active additional or consecutive addresses. What is
recognized is whether the function can be turned on or off continuously by means of a consecutive
address. This function mapping can only be determined in the mfx or DCC protocol.
• See the CV description for the fx protocol for additional information.

DCC Protocol
Addresses
• Short address - long address - multiple unit address
• Address range:
1 - 127 for short address and multiple unit address,
1 - 10239 for long address
• Every address can be programmed manually.
• A short or a long address is selected using the CVs.
• A multiple unit address that is being used deactivates the standard address.

Programming
• The characteristics can be changed repeatedly using the Configuration Variables (CV).
• The CV numbers and the CV values are entered directly.
• The CVs can be read and programmed repeatedly. (Programming is done on the programming track.)
• The CVs can be programmed in any order desired. (Programming can be done on the main track PoM).
The PoM can only be done with those designated in the CV table. Programming on the main track PoM
must be supported by your central controller (Please see the description for this unit).
• 14/28 or 126 speed levels can be set.
• All of the functions can be controlled according to the function mapping (see CV description).
• See the CV description for the DCC protocol for additional information.
We recommend that in general programming should be done on the programming track.
Offline jeehring  
#16 Posted : 05 January 2012 11:23:24(UTC)
jeehring

....they give a list of more than 60 Marklin Loks that cannot be updated with this set (xxx48 and xxx49) anybody knows which technical reason ?...or is it a matter of 8/21 pins connector ( but there are more than 68 models with 21 pins connector into the Marklin range....so there must be another reason...)
Excuse me, It is said : "Not suitable for motors with field-wound coils".....what is a "motor with field-wounded coils" please, Confused does it mean a "breakdown" due to the coil ??
(when a motor has some defaults into the insulation of coils, any decoder cannot work properly....I mean : it's a problem for all types of decoder...is it what they mean too ? )
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#17 Posted : 05 January 2012 11:29:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
what is a "motor with field-wounded coils" please ?

I take that to mean the normal SFCM/LFCM/DCM AC analog motors which use a field wound coil.

The next sentence says that "Locomotives with these motors must be converted
with the appropriate motor retrofit kits, item numbers 60941, 60943, or 60944."

60941, 60943, and 60944 are the motor conversion kits for DCM/SFCM/LFCM analog motors.
Offline jeehring  
#18 Posted : 05 January 2012 12:10:50(UTC)
jeehring

"These instructions describe the installation and the possible settings for the 60948 and 60949 decoders. Unless
otherwise stated, the functions refer to decoders 60945/60946/60947/ 60965/60966/60967 ".

What a mixing ....unless it is about a 8 pins decoder, it's not yet clear for me.... (on photos 8 pins decoders have 11 wires as well....probably for speakerConfused )
Offline GlennM  
#19 Posted : 05 January 2012 16:43:58(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

I take that to mean the normal SFCM/LFCM/DCM AC analog motors which use a field wound coil.

60941, 60943, and 60944 are the motor conversion kits for DCM/SFCM/LFCM analog motors.

So does that mean that users who have an old loco with the normal SFCM/LFCM/DCM AC analog motors, must;

1) First change the motor with a 60941, 60943, or 60944 motor conversion kit

Then

2) Convert the operation to digital using one of these conversion kits ?

Is there such a thing as a conversion schedule, which clearly shows the conversion options for each locomotive ever made?
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline Western Pacific  
#20 Posted : 05 January 2012 19:37:21(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post

So does that mean that users who have an old loco with the normal SFCM/LFCM/DCM AC analog motors, must;

1) First change the motor with a 60941, 60943, or 60944 motor conversion kit

Then

2) Convert the operation to digital using one of these conversion kits ?

Is there such a thing as a conversion schedule, which clearly shows the conversion options for each locomotive ever made?

The way I have understood it, the two step procedure you describe is the way you have to go.

I would however like to state that I understand why they have separated these conversion sets and that is for those who have already upgraded their motor to a 5-pole motor and just want to replace the decoder. Such customers would have found it a bit annoying to have to buy the 5-pole conversion again. Furthermore given that the generic sounds come in steam, diesel and electric versions and the motor conversions can be used for all three types of loks, the number of articles would fast grow and with them costs of having them in stock (both at Märklin and in stores) and possibly losing business when a customer wants a conversion set for a steamer and only that for diesel and electric are in stock.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Western Pacific
Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 05 January 2012 19:49:15(UTC)
H0

Maybe this file will help:
http://www.digitaltog.dk...Maerklin_Digital_lok.pdf

Note that motor parts from 60941 are the same as 60901, same for xxxx3 and xxxx4.
Also note that some locos came in different versions (e.g. SFCM at first, later DCM). So when the list says 60903 or 60904, make sure your model has a flat collector motor (FCM) and not the newer DCM.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#22 Posted : 05 January 2012 21:50:51(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Plus there are references in the schedule Tom linked to, to Hamo and ESU magnets. It is possible to convert an analog motor just by replacing the field coil with a permanent magnet, and retaining the existing armature and motor cover. The running characteristics are not as good as the full motor conversion, but many forum members report they are good enough, and a bit cheaper. The part numbers for the Marklin Hamo and their ESU equivalents are given in the schedule, and also in the lists that were posted in the following forum thread:

https://www.marklin-user...nversion-of-M-locos.aspx
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline john black  
#23 Posted : 05 January 2012 22:30:13(UTC)
john black

United States   

The very point, Tom ThumpUp

For the protection of their system (say: money !!!) M never gave us those useful sockets.
And today (with a few 100,000 locos made in the past decades) it won't matter, anyway ... Sneaky
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline john black  
#24 Posted : 05 January 2012 22:55:19(UTC)
john black

United States   
And the show goes on. WWAAI - talk about M's latest digital "system" and controllers ...

Asked my dealer recently to test & research #37683 (OBB E1018 in orange livery) for me, cos I liked her looks. Well, we all know one can't engage all those many new MFX-functions when running old controllers like CU#6021 or MS#60652. So far so good.

What's new: In case the loco's lights are switched ON by factory, already - with an old controller you never will be able to switch 'em OFF !!! That way they try to force customers buying their latest controllers !!! SneakyThumbDown

Just FYI - so be careful when ordering new locos, friends Wink
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline river6109  
#25 Posted : 06 January 2012 01:32:25(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Plus there are references in the schedule Tom linked to, to Hamo and ESU magnets. It is possible to convert an analog motor just by replacing the field coil with a permanent magnet, and retaining the existing armature and motor cover. The running characteristics are not as good as the full motor conversion, but many forum members report they are good enough, and a bit cheaper. The part numbers for the Marklin Hamo and their ESU equivalents are given in the schedule, and also in the lists that were posted in the following forum thread:

https://www.marklin-user...nversion-of-M-locos.aspx

Dave,
Damn if I can program these locos, I've tried and tried with different ways and the recommended recipe from ESU and gave up in the end,
Unless I've been spoiled by the 5 pole conversion set but I would use, ok there is extra cost involved, these sets anytime and recommend it.
Unless I can come with a solution these cheaper conversions will be laid to rest on a backburner for the time being.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#26 Posted : 06 January 2012 02:46:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Must admit I haven't done one myself, I've always done a complete motor conversion.
Offline GlennM  
#27 Posted : 06 January 2012 14:44:50(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Maybe this file will help:
http://www.digitaltog.dk...Maerklin_Digital_lok.pdf

Note that motor parts from 60941 are the same as 60901, same for xxxx3 and xxxx4.
Also note that some locos came in different versions (e.g. SFCM at first, later DCM). So when the list says 60903 or 60904, make sure your model has a flat collector motor (FCM) and not the newer DCM.

Thanks Tom
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline Cyborg  
#28 Posted : 12 September 2013 00:21:36(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Hello,

I wanted to add sound to my Swiss Cargo locomotive from my 29481 starter set so on recommendation from Marklin bought the 60947 sound decoder kit. I am having great problems understanding the instructions. Basically I canted work out how to wire up the lights. This kit seems to only cater for front and rear lights and won't swap over when you reverse the direction as there doesn't seem to be enough wires to wire up the lights. I also can't work out how the aux 2 - 4 are activated on the mobile station as all the remaing function keys control sound functions.

Please excuse my ignorance but I am fairly new to model trains.
Offline H0  
#29 Posted : 12 September 2013 07:42:25(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Cyborg Go to Quoted Post
I also can't work out how the aux 2 - 4 are activated on the mobile station as all the remaing function keys control sound functions.
According to the manual you get AUX2 with F8, AUX3 with F5 and AUX4 with F6.

With a CS or ECoS you can change the function mapping. With Swiss locos I often use LF, LR, AUX1, and AUX2 for the Swiss light change. With function mapping you can have F0 control those four outputs as you need it.

If the loco was wired for Swiss light functions with only two outputs, then you should be able to still use that - and you get the light change with only F0.

Probably AUX1 through AUX4 are unused with this loco, so activating them will have no visible impact.

Did you just plug the decoder into the existing circuit board of the loco? Or did you install the circuit board that came with the decoder?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Cyborg  
#30 Posted : 12 September 2013 14:23:50(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Hi and thanks for your reply. I haven't installed it yet. You have to instal the decoder and circuit board together as the speaker plug is on the circuit board. My main problem is what wires have to be soldered into the lights as there are low beam, long distance lights plus one for the rear light. The original circuit board had a grey, orange, brown/red & yellow wire going into the light board and there is one at each end of the locomotive.

The new circuit board does not have the same wiring setup. If I can work out how to add photos to these posts, I will attach some so you know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for your help

Paul.

Offline Cyborg  
#31 Posted : 12 September 2013 14:51:15(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Hi again, if you look at my album, you will see the photos and hopefully my dilemma.
Offline H0  
#32 Posted : 12 September 2013 16:38:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Cyborg Go to Quoted Post
You have to instal the decoder and circuit board together as the speaker plug is on the circuit board.
Not really. You can solder the speaker wires to the old board or even to the decoder.

I cannot view the Album images.

The wire colours are Märklin standard. But the old board might contain the resistors for the headlight LEDs. Connecting the LEDs to the new board would kill them instantly if the resistors are missing.

I would try to keep the old board and find a way to connect the speaker.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Cyborg  
#33 Posted : 12 September 2013 23:43:31(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Thanks Tom, I will see if I can work out where to solder them to, that sounds a lot simpler.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#34 Posted : 13 September 2013 04:36:08(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
All I can see in your Album is the same photo of Swiss lights repeated 3 times.

You don't say which interface the decoder in your loco is using, so I assuming it is the 21 pin MTC interface.

Pin 8 is the front lights
Pin 7 is the rear lights
Pins 9 and 10 are for the speaker
Pin 20 is the Ground connection
Bigdaddynz attached the following image(s):
21pin_MTC.JPG
Offline Cyborg  
#35 Posted : 13 September 2013 09:23:58(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Thanks for all your help, the penny finally dropped and I worked it out just plugging in the new decoder to replace the old one and soldering the speaker wires into the old circuit board, works perfectly now. Finding a spot for the speaker was challenging though. I don't think I could have done it with supplied circuit board as there weren't enough outputs for all the head/rear lights.
Offline Martin T  
#36 Posted : 17 February 2014 23:02:20(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Thank you for the information!

Edited by user 18 February 2014 08:37:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html