Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nelson77  
#1 Posted : 05 September 2011 12:51:05(UTC)
nelson77

How to clean and adjsut contacts on 1039 Home Signals

I am using 1039 Home signals in my shadow station to control the train automatically.
My problem is that some times these relays do not have good continuality and it leaves one train sitting or two trains to continue which causes a wreck . I am controlling the home signal with a reed in the track through a standard 12 vac relay, that trips the Home Signal and Turnouts. By the way the turns outs always change correctly I can see the Home signal changing but not making contact some times. I tried cleaning with contact cleaned from radio shack, electrical parts cleaner and the problem always comes back after a couple of days of running. Is there some type of burnishing tool that is available to clean the contacts? Is there someway to adjust the contacts so they would create more pressure against the slide? It’s difficult to clean properly with a piece of Emory cloth.
Thanks in advance,

Nelson 77
Westminster, Md
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 06 September 2011 21:12:26(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Nelson,all,
Any photos,yes I need them!Laugh

Dr D
Offline BillJ  
#3 Posted : 07 September 2011 20:38:13(UTC)
BillJ

Nelson,

My analog layout uses two 7039 signals to control two trains that alternate on one track, one each direction.

From time to time, I have had a train go through a signal that clearly was red. (Since they tend to be operated at full speed, when I've been distracted there were a few spectacular collisions...)

My remedies have included swapping out signals to get one that works better, cleaning the plastic slider as best I could, and also bending the metal strips enough to improve the contact. I always check that the screw holding the mast is tight, too. After an extended period of frustration with the used signals I had purchased, they generally work well now. But there always seems a risk of failure, which may contribute to my amusement, I guess.

Answering your direct question, tightening (bending) the contact seemed to help with my problem.

Hope this helps.

Bill