Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kariosls37  
#1 Posted : 29 June 2011 12:06:12(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
As some may have noticed, I bought some NZR kitsets some time back. I already had some plans for doing something NZR-y
For those who don't know, NZR stands for the New Zealand Government Railways, NZGR or NZR for short.
The track gauge here is 3'6"(1067mm) so instead of H0, the most popular scale is 1:64, which means you can use H0 gauge track. It is also called 3/16th scale, as 1 foot scales down to 3/16th of an inch, an important relationship in the days before calculators.

Why the 1900's? Because I think it's a really interesting time period. 1n 1908 the North Island Main Trunk was completed, the Wellington & Manawatu railway Co. was taken over and brand new A class De Glehn compound 4-6-2's were just new from the shops. Rollling stock was colourful, with coaches being painted either Pullman green, Pullman brown or Indian red. Locos could be black with either gold lining or chocolate and gold bands. Grey was also worn by some engines.

Now the kit. The first one I will do is a lowsider, classified as an M-2. this type was first built in 1891. The kit is made by Cross Creek Models.
For the princely sum of NZ$ 45 you get a one-piece resin body
UserPostedImage
Did anyone mention Swiss cheese?
And a collection of whitemetal and other bits.
UserPostedImage
Quality is not as good as other kits I have built, but that doesn't mean that it won't finish up being a nice model.
Instructions were in the form of a NZR general arrangement, probably one drawn in the 1930's by Cedric Green. These drawings are very popular with modellers heer as they happen to be drawn in 1:64 scale. The rest of the single A-4 sheet is filled with some handwritten notes and an exploded diagram. not exactly much, but fortunately the New Zealand Rolling Stock Register contains a lot of good photos of these and other wagons, which saves me a lot of searching.

First up I deburred the frame pieces. These are two sturdy whitemetal castings with a lot of flash. This was cleaned up with a file. Chalk is smeared onto the file to prevent the soft whiremetal clogging up the file.
UserPostedImage
The next item to do is soldering the bearings in. The usual method for whitmetal is followed, with plenty of flux and a little low-melt solder. In the photo my fingers are holding the solder, my second hand is holding the camera and my third hand is holding the soldering ironBigGrin
UserPostedImage
The frames are supplied way too long, so you can cut them to exact length to fit the resin body. A sensible thing to do, as resin will shrink during production, but production methods mean that not each body will e exactly the same length.
Here they are marked for cutting with a fine toothed saw. the mark in the middle is for centering.
UserPostedImage
After being cut oversize and brought down to the correct length with a file the frame bits were marked for their respective sides(their lengths did not turn out to be equal) the defects in the casting were fixed with styrene and filler.
The obligatory test fit
UserPostedImage
Once ready, the frames were superglued to the body, with the wheels being inserted as well, as I don't think I am able to remove them later on without damage.
UserPostedImage

Tomorrow I will continue with the rest of the "undergubbins"

Happy modelling
Rick

Edited by user 22 August 2013 23:52:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kariosls37
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 30 June 2011 06:53:04(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Rick

ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline kariosls37  
#3 Posted : 30 June 2011 12:25:48(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Thanks JohnThumpUp

Time for undergubbins, aka underframe details.
The kit supplies materials for the handbrake, brake blocks and a Westinghouse brake(WHB) cylinder.
As this is a little bigger than my usual scale, I wanted something more. Again, looking at photos I discovered the real arrangement of brake blocks on these wagons. Crawling under real four wheeled wagons with a camera revealed the rest, so a good shot at detailing could be done.

The WHB was done first. The brake works one one pair of brake blocks. Linkages were built from bits of styrene and brass, and attached to the whitemetal castings
UserPostedImage
The handbrake was next. Period photos and current ones again provided the required info. Because I was not satisfie with some castings, these were butchered for useful bits and other castings that were not needed were left in the box. The brass strip came with the kit, this was bent in place and the rest of the linkages were again built from scratch. All measuring was done with the Mk I eyeball
UserPostedImage

Hopefully more will follow soon

Rick
Offline kariosls37  
#4 Posted : 27 July 2011 11:42:42(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Work has continued on the little wagon. More details have been added, including air hoses and piping, guard irons and handrails.
The casting is meant to contain a lot of boltheads on both ends. However, in my kit almost all were ruined by air bubblesThumbDown. Because filler is not an option, I drilled out all the holes formed by the bubbles wit a 0.5mm drill. I then spent a quiet evening stuffing 0.5mm round styrene rod in the holes to imitate bolt heads. While I was at it, I added bolt heads to the sides as well, where they would have been in real life.
Here is the result
UserPostedImage
And from underneath
UserPostedImage
Next up is the usual priming and painting routine before I can call the wagon finished

Rick
Offline ac jacko  
#5 Posted : 27 July 2011 14:50:01(UTC)
ac jacko

Lots of patience mate and a fantastic job Cool
Offline Macfire  
#6 Posted : 27 July 2011 15:18:28(UTC)
Macfire

Originally Posted by: ac jacko Go to Quoted Post
Lots of patience mate and a fantastic job Cool

Mate - you don't know the half of it.
To see Rick's artistry in real life - bloody awesome.
And nice to see a bit of Kiwiana ThumpUp
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.
Offline kariosls37  
#7 Posted : 28 July 2011 12:09:08(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Thank you Dale and Lord MaccaThumpUp

Coming soon: a true Kiwi #8 fencing wire coach, A 300. More will follow as soon as I can find the camera

Rick
Offline Macfire  
#8 Posted : 28 July 2011 17:23:13(UTC)
Macfire

The real thing - preserved at Steam Incorporated in Paekakariki.

M1647
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.
Offline kariosls37  
#9 Posted : 01 August 2011 12:19:02(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Nice photo MaccaThumpUp

Time for the next project, A 300.

On the 20th of March 1877 the Wellington Section District Engineer asked 'Head Office' for permission to splice together two older carriages and enable the resulting rebuild to run on the "American Bogie" principle. The rebuild was costed at 50 pounds, and permission was duly granted. This was New Zealand's first bogie carriage, which became known as A 1, and was renumbered to A 300 in 1890 when all the provincial railways were combined. This historic carriage was written off and scrapped in 1924

The carriage was built from a six wheeled carriage and either half of another carriage, or some new material. At the time, the Wellington section was short of rolling stock, so the extra space would have been appreciated by the people running the railway. This carriage set the precedent for 48 more conversions, mostly from 1 1/2 six wheeled carriages, which were very unpopular due to their bad riding qualities. Of these, A 222 has survived and has been beautifully restored by Ferrymead Railway in Christchurch.
This information comes from a series of very good articles on the NZR's bogie carriages by John Agnew, published the New Zealand Railfan.

Drawings, photos and info from the article were combined with measurements from one of the few surviving six wheelers to be able to model the historic carriage.
This is how the six wheelers looked later in their life:
UserPostedImage
Note that the axleboxes are modern roller bearing ones, as the origionals could not be overhauled in time. They are still present though.

A start was made with the underframe. The outside members are channel section, while the buffer beams and all other members are rectangular styrene made from two bits of 1mm thick styrene as I did not have the right size.
UserPostedImage
If you look carefully, you will notice that the frame is not symmetrical, a leftover from the donor six wheel carriage.

A start was made on the sides as well. The car recieved new cladding as part of a rebuild to all second class in 1905. This is the bottom half of the car, the top being all windows.
UserPostedImage
That's it for now, more will follow soon
Rick

Edited by user 29 December 2012 23:36:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kariosls37  
#10 Posted : 02 August 2011 12:19:29(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
The end walls have been tackled today. These cars have a fair bit of half round beading attached to their walls to make these cars look more interesting. However, half round styrene is not available for the size I need. Fully round styrene is, fortunately, and by using a bit of cunning and care the round styrene can be made to look like half round beading.
The basic idea is that you leave a gap equal to the diameter of the round styrene. then it's a matter of glueing the round styrene in the gap so that half is proud of the surface.
Here is the result, applied to the end walls of the carriage:
UserPostedImage
While the glue was drying, I carved seams on both sides of some 1mm styrene sheet to form the partition wall. A door was added made from 0.5mm styrene with strips laminated to it. The whole assembly was then glued to the side walls.
UserPostedImage
The end doors were made in much the same way as the centre door, the only diffrence being the window, which was glued in between the styrene strips with Microscale Krystal Klear to avoid ruining the surface of the glass with normal glue. The doors were then glued inside the end walls.
UserPostedImage
To finish off, the end walls were glued to balconies made of scribed 1mm styrene.

Thanks for watching
Rick
Offline kariosls37  
#11 Posted : 07 August 2011 12:26:55(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Following on from last time, the ends I made up were glued to the sides, so the whole thing is starting to look like a real carriage nowCool
UserPostedImage
Behind the carriage you can see the M class wagon. I havent forgotten about it, It got a black coat of paint when I had the airbrush out for the BR 23. I will now have to mask it and find some time to give the top a coat of red.

On A 300, the walls were then thickened to their scale size. I used scrap styrene that I keep from other projects to build up the height.
UserPostedImage
Seats were then scribed and built up. The back is glued to the wall, and the horizontal bit and the legs are attached to the floor. This way the top is easy to paint and maintain, while there are no major visible seams.
Here you can see the bottom.
UserPostedImage
The real thing has nice turned legs, but round ones will do for me. You won't see the diffrence anyway once the model's completed.
Here's the seats installed in the carriage. At least the passengers will have plenty of leg room.ThumpUp
UserPostedImage

Rick
Offline kariosls37  
#12 Posted : 13 August 2011 13:07:55(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
With the lower half of the body pretty much done, I could'nt put off doing the windows any more. The upper half is pretty much all windows, so I had to use the clear styrene to strengthen the body, instead of attaching it after painting. the framing was attached with Krystal Klear, as normal glue will damage the clear styrene.
UserPostedImage
The top set of windows show the inside, the bottom show the outside.
The whole assembly was then glued to the body.
UserPostedImage
These carriages were all wood, and the windows meant that these carriages were not very strong. The bodies had a tendency to twist along their length in crashes(much like some model carriagesBigGrin ) In order to combat that, on many carriages windows were removed in order to install bracing, just like the six-wheeler in the photo.

That's it for now, more will follow soon.

Rick
Offline kariosls37  
#13 Posted : 23 August 2011 12:22:21(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
And now back to the M-2.
Together with the BR 23, I had the chance to finish painting the M-2. As I mentioned a couple of posts back, the black underframe was done first, after the obligatory coat of primer.
UserPostedImage
The top coat could then be done. The question was, what colour to paint it? Macca's picture shows the wagon as it was at the end of it's days, painted in the standard red oxide livery. However, this colour was not used in the 1900's. It took a fair bit of research to find out that the most likely colour was Haematite, with "the Nelson company being preferred". In a thread on the nz_railchat group on Yahoo, I found a link to a Resene colour that apparently was close to the "Nelson Haematite" I was after, although the colour was based on dubious research. Colours in the early days were nowhere near as consistent as now, not even taking into account weathering, so I decided to go with the Resene colour. After a trip to the local Resene shop,I mixed up the colour myself from a swatch using some Humbrol paints. After I had figured out the right combinaton, I mixed plenty for the wagon, and set to airbrushing it.
This is the result:
UserPostedImage
happened to have a NZ Model Railway Journal lying in the workshop for modelling the axleboxes on A 300, so I used that as a background.
And another pic, because it looks so goodCool
UserPostedImage
While I cannot vouch for the colour being 100% accurate, It could be quite likely that a wagon looked like this one a century ago, which is fine by me.
I have quite a bit of my haematite paint left over, but I will tweak the colour slightly for the next wagon, to represent a diffrent batch of paint being used, as well as the effects of age on the paint.

This only leaves couplers and decals to do, neither of which I have got.

Cheers,

Rick
Offline kariosls37  
#14 Posted : 01 September 2011 01:38:01(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
In my last post I hinted at some progress on A 300 as well, and there has been a good bit of that:
The last bits to add above the windows were the vents. These were made of bits of 0.5mm square styrene glued so they overhang a bit. They were very fiddly to make, but my inner finescaler is pleased. Only after I had made them I realised that I could have used bits of clapboad siding, available as a styrene sheetMad BigGrin
UserPostedImage
With most of the body out of the way the undergubbins could be tackled. I had taken some photos of the underside of a carriage so I had a pretty complete picture(excuse the pun) of what was where and how it worked. Although most of it will only be visible to a 1:64 scale figure standing in a inspection pit, I modelled everything anyway. Most bits are styrene or brass wire, the gas tanks are bits of pen with the ends filled and sanded to shape in a drill. Truss rods are brass wire and the brake cylinder is tured up from plastic sprue(left over from Faller's Station Lutzen if you feel like nitpickingSmile ) in my motor tool. I made two because when I finished the first it decided to do a runner. I haven't found it yet, but it will be a nice excuse to build another carriage when I do.
The only thing I didn't model was the chain connecting the handbrake rod to the rest of the brake rigging as I could not find anything that looked right. Does anyone have any suggestions?
UserPostedImage
I could then not put off the bogies off any longer. The main frame is made from 0.5x1mm styrene, suprisingly enough exactly to scale and still strong enough(though I only found out they were to scale days later...) The rest is styrene of various sizes and coil springs made from copper telephone cable.
This is the trial sideframe
UserPostedImage
And three evenings later the car was on it's BP 508 bogies
UserPostedImage
That's all for now, more will follow soon.

Thanks for watching

Rick
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#15 Posted : 01 September 2011 02:29:53(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Fabulous! I love craftsman kits
SBB Era 2-5
Offline kariosls37  
#16 Posted : 02 September 2011 05:59:19(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Thanks JohnThumpUp
While the M-2 was not really labeled and inended as a craftsman kit, it probably falls in the same category of difficulty. This is not helped at all by me insisting to discard half the parts and make new, better ones myself, making it look like a craftsman kitBigGrin
Offline FMS  
#17 Posted : 05 September 2011 01:44:22(UTC)
FMS

Nice!Smile
Regards
FMS
Offline kariosls37  
#18 Posted : 06 September 2011 11:38:47(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Thanks Fred

To stop passengers stepping off the end of the carriage, handrails and fencing are fitted. To model this, I soldered up various bits of brass wire in a jig. A handbrake was also fitted to one end. The wheel was made by soldering bent copper wire inside a copper ring. The iron was then turned down to a lower temperature, and a pin and the axle was soldered using low-melt solder. This way I didn't have to worry about the spokes coming loose. The whole assembly was low-melt soldered to the handrail To finish off, handbrake rigging was made up from styrene. To finish off this round of building airhoses were fitted.
Then the whole car was taken outside for a photo shootCool
Side view:
UserPostedImage
The handbrake end. Don't worry about the gap between the headstock and the body, that will disappear when the boody is attached properly.
UserPostedImage
Underside of the "No. 1 end" showing handbrake details
UserPostedImage
To finish off, my NZR fleet so far.
UserPostedImage

Happy modelling
Rick
Offline kariosls37  
#19 Posted : 18 September 2011 12:50:42(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
To finish off the safety features located on the carriage's balcony I had to make some gates. In real life they are easonably sturdy iron things, but in S scale they are a right old pain in the butt, but I eventually managed to get them to look reasonably simular.
UserPostedImage
That just left the roof to do. As the interior would be very hard to get into with the roof on, I painted it first. I used a two layer technique to simulate the wood: First I gave the inerior a reasonably even coat of sand coloured paint. When this was dry, I mixed up a reddish-brown colour and mixed it with some varnish. Again, I tried to keep the coat even, but small brushstrokes enhance the wood effect. Once it is dry, you get this:
UserPostedImage
A start was then made on the roof. The basis is plain styrene, with grooves scribed into it to simulate planks on the underside. The top was painted canvas in real life, so that was left smooth. Ribs were then cut for the roof. These have the dual purpose of getting the right curve in the roof, and also of holding the tops of the walls apart at the right distance. Bases for the gas lights were also punched out of styrene using sharpened brass tubes.
UserPostedImage
The end is no in sight, with some final details to go on before I can paint the exteriorCool

Rick
Offline kariosls37  
#20 Posted : 24 September 2011 12:58:04(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
The inside of the roof was then given a coat of white, followed by some varnish. I could then fit the gas lights. The pretty solid glass bowls(I should know, I hit my head on oneBigGrin) were mimicked by heating some clear vacuform plastic with a paint stripper, and using a piece of turned styrene as a punch to get the characteristic shape. Before they were fitted I painted a brass ring on the base, followed by a bit of Krystal Kleer to secure the glass bowls.
The roof then recieved exhaust pots for the gas lights, followed by a coat of paint. The roofs were canvas painted with white lead, but in service the sulfur in loco exhausts reacted to turn roofs grey, and soot didn't help either.
The roof was then glued on. When a 1:64 scale passenger loks up inside the carriage, he will find this:
UserPostedImage
Drool
And this is how it looks on the outside:
UserPostedImage
Note how the roof pots are not evenly spaced along the length of the car, another trace of it's previous life. Brownie points awarded to the person that correctly guesses where the old body ends and the new one starts.

Thanks for watching,

Rick
Offline kariosls37  
#21 Posted : 09 October 2011 11:26:19(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Some time ago I got some couplers from VCC models , which I recieved within a week of orderingThumpUp The couplers themselves are cast brass, and work just like the real thing. Some hardware is also provided to mount the couplers, in the shape of whitemetal draft boxes and some centring springs. To fit them to the M-2 and A 300, a slot was filed into the headstocks into which the coupler shank could move. The draft boxes were filed to fit each item of rolling stock. In the case of A 300 this involved a good deal of butchering, but a bit of filing was enough in the case of the lowsider. The couplers were then assembled and fitted.

Besides couplers, rolling stock is also fitted with safety chains. To save the effort of ordering and waiting for ready made hooks, I decided to make them myself. The chains and hooks are made from two sizes of copper electrical wire, which is easy to shape and it happened to be the the right size. To get the point on the hook, a bit of wire was fitted in the chuck of my drill, and with the drill going, I shaped the wire with a file. The wire was then bent around bits of other wire, and the oval links were made by wrapping the wire around two bits of wire side by side. The nice thing about soft copper wire is that you can cut it with a sharp knife, giving you a straight cut without any filing. The hooks were soldered together, and attached to the chain and then to the wagon and carriage.

UserPostedImage
The various stages of assembly of the side chains. To put things into perspectivem the hook is about 3.5mm long!

Of course, the big question; Does it work? Both the chains and hooks work almost exactly as the real thing, the main coupler will couple without intervention and uncouples easily by hand. The side chains can be hung into eachother, but it took me about five minutes to do one pair, so they will just be cosmetic.

The coupler bits were then painted black, except for the coupler faces and moving bits, which were chemically blackened with gun blue.
UserPostedImage
Close ups can be so harsh...

A 300 also got it's proper wheels, and to top it off, I airbrushed the ends in "Chocolate".
UserPostedImage

Barring some paint touch ups and numbers, the M-2 is done. A 300 is not awfully far behind, next up is a coat of "Indian Red" and a few other coats of paint.

Thanks for watching,

Rick
Offline kariosls37  
#22 Posted : 23 November 2011 23:41:31(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
It's taken some time, But there is progress at last. The last week I have spent painting a number of projects, big and small. A 300 is one of the projects that have rolled out of the paint shops this week.
The car got a bit stuck on the Indian red. I could not find any info on the correct colour, so in the end I bit the bullet and mixed up some paint to match some photos of preserved rolling stock.
After the car was painted, the car was masked so the beading could be painted. This recieved a coat of black, together with the underframe, with this result;
UserPostedImage
And the chocolate ends
UserPostedImage
Those Victorians sure knew how to paint their carriages in eye-catching colours.
The car is not quite finished yet, The woodwork on the outside still needs to be painted, as does the roof, but it's getting real close now.

Thanks for watching,
Rick
Offline kariosls37  
#23 Posted : 27 November 2011 11:18:46(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
I still had the other NZR kitset kicking around. With the model show that was in Devonport this weekend I usually give a modelling demo. This year I decided to make a start with building the K-6 goods van. The van is a little younger than the M-2, but the underframes were nearly identical, making research easy.
This is how the kit looked on saturday morning
UserPostedImage
And this is how it looked saturday evening
UserPostedImage
What has been done;
-body assembled
-new floor and underframe
-solebars and wheels assembled
-air brake rigging assembled
-Couplers assembled
I discarded a few parts, because they were just plain awful, and I've replaced them with scratchbuilt parts.
The solebars required a fair bit of remedial work, which included reconstructing part of the web of the channel section of the solebar, as well as adjusting the holes for the bearings.

I didn't spend the whole day modelling, I also spent some time annoying puristsBigGrin
UserPostedImage
Surprisingly, There were not many moaners, and unsurprisingly, the carriage didn't like R1 curvesGlare

Unfortunately I had other commitments today, so I could not do any "live modelling". I did get some stuff done at home though.
The handbrake rigging, which is identical to The M-2 was made. Following that I cut some ribs to support the roof.
UserPostedImage
The provided roof was an absolute joke, and looked more like something cut out of packaging that a model roof. I therefore made a new one from 0.4mm thick styrene, measuring off the body for the right shape.
UserPostedImage
There are just a few details left, which is the nice thing about these kits; you can finish one in less that a week's worth of eveningsCool

Thanks for watching,
Rick
Offline intruder  
#24 Posted : 28 November 2011 23:19:08(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Very good work, Rick!
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline kariosls37  
#25 Posted : 29 November 2011 10:35:23(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Thanks SveinThumpUp

Today I finished off the detailing. To start with the handbrake ratchet was made. Air pipes and hoses were also made up, followed by handgrabs made from 0.3mm wire. Safety chains were also made up and attached, as well as the iron straps around the wooden headstocks. This finished off the construction stage of the build, only three days since I've started the buildCool
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
And the underside for the detail-fanatics
UserPostedImage
I just have to add some missing bolt heads and the usual filling work. I have already drilled the holes for the bolt heads, and I have also made a start on filling holes.
That's all for now, more will follow soon.

Thanks for watching

Rick
Offline kariosls37  
#26 Posted : 14 December 2011 06:20:53(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
This weekend I got the chance to do some airbrushing. Leading up to that the wagon was filled and primed with the obligatory drying time in between. Painting was more or less the same story as most other wagons, with the exception that I didn't mask the wheel treads. Instead I just painted over them, and when I finished painting, I used a cotton bud dipped in turps to remove the paint.
UserPostedImage
That was it for today, hopefully I will be able to do the rest of the airbrushing soon.

Thanks for watching,

Rick
Offline kariosls37  
#27 Posted : 04 January 2012 10:57:59(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
It's been a long time between drinks for the little K-6, but just before new year's I got around to finishing the paintwork of the wagon. Painting is not my favourite task, and it usually gets pushed aside by more interesting things, like building more rolling stock. However, as those wagons reached the painting stage too I could not dodge it any more. The wagon duly recieved a coat of Humbrol No.33 on the underframes, and once those were done, white paint was added to the little amount of black remaining. The resulting dark grey was used to replicate the roof colour, which was painted canvas. The roofs quickly got a thick coat of soot in service, reulting in an off black colour.
This is what came rolling out of the paint shops, with my H0 scale workshops foreman giving an idea of the size of the wagon.
UserPostedImage
No wonder things are taking so long around here...

After the obligatory touch ups, it was time for a protective coat of varnish, the usual Humbrol No.135
UserPostedImage
And that rounds of the construction of the wagon. I know, it took a bit longer than a week, but I did have another two projects on the go, resulting in this one being pushed to the back of the pile. Painting took about two evenings excluding drying time, which means that the actual construction period was only about six days. If you don't believe me, buy a kitset like this and surprise yourselfWink

Thanks for watching,
Rick
Offline NZMarklinist  
#28 Posted : 27 January 2012 15:25:39(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kariosls37 Go to Quoted Post
I still had the other NZR kitset kicking around. With the model show that was in Devonport I didn't spend the whole day modelling, I also spent some time annoying puristsBigGrin

Surprisingly, There were not many moaners, and unsurprisingly, the carriage didn't like R1 curvesGlare

Thanks for watching,
Rick

Yes but when he wasn't anoying us "purists" this was Rick at his best ThumpUp Smile

Edited by user 28 January 2012 03:37:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NZMarklinist attached the following image(s):
Rick Modelling @ Devonport 1111 001.jpg
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline kariosls37  
#29 Posted : 28 January 2012 10:45:17(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
That looks like a familiar faceBigGrin So now all the punters on the net can see the face behind the models.

This shows how you don't need any flash workshop to do your modelling. I could have easily made the whole model on that table, with the exception of the airbrushing. The workbench is about as organised as my normal workbench, with tools scattered in a rough arc around the cutting boardCool

For the eagle eyed among us, there are two models visible in the photo. Who can spot them?(I actually had more models set up out of shot, somewhere between the clutter but there's no point guessing those, as I can't remember which ones they were)

Cheers,
Rick
Offline Elukka  
#30 Posted : 28 January 2012 19:10:09(UTC)
Elukka

Why, there's your reworked BR23 and one of the low side wagons. Impressive work all around.
Offline kariosls37  
#31 Posted : 29 January 2012 10:25:02(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Good spotting Elukka.
Offline steventrain  
#32 Posted : 29 January 2012 12:24:51(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Superb work.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Christoffer  
#33 Posted : 29 January 2012 13:25:16(UTC)
Christoffer

Norway   
Great work Rick! Love it ThumpUp
Offline kariosls37  
#34 Posted : 31 January 2012 10:46:41(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Thanks Steven and Christoffer
Offline kariosls37  
#35 Posted : 30 December 2012 10:56:19(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
I have finally managed to get some decals printed, so one by one my almost finished models will be finished. I hope.

The decals were drawn up in Inkscape(a free vector drawing program) based on photos I took of the real thing. The stencilling is a special font I found especially made for modelling NZR stencilling.

The class and number plate decals were stuck on a disc punched from 0.25mm styrene painted yellow. With the decals on the plates were stuck on the sides of the car using Krystal Klear. The underframes were decalled, after which a clear coat was used to seal the decals and make them blend in. After that, a coat of dirt was added to give the car a lived-in look and the axleboxes got some "oil"(gross varnish) leaking out from their covers.

The result was photographed while the sun was out yesterday:
UserPostedImage
A close up showing the bogies and car plates
UserPostedImage
The whole car
UserPostedImage
And looking through the window in the end door
UserPostedImage

Cheers,
Rick
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kariosls37
Offline cookee_nz  
#36 Posted : 31 December 2012 05:00:10(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kariosls37 Go to Quoted Post
I have finally managed to get some decals printed, so one by one my almost finished models will be finished. I hope.

The decals were drawn up in Inkscape(a free vector drawing program) based on photos I took of the real thing. The stencilling is a special font I found especially made for modelling NZR stencilling.

The class and number plate decals were stuck on a disc punched from 0.25mm styrene painted yellow. With the decals on the plates were stuck on the sides of the car using Krystal Klear. The underframes were decalled, after which a clear coat was used to seal the decals and make them blend in. After that, a coat of dirt was added to give the car a lived-in look and the axleboxes got some "oil"(gross varnish) leaking out from their covers.

The result was photographed while the sun was out yesterday:
(snip)
Cheers,
Rick

Good work Rick, looks great ThumpUp
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kariosls37  
#37 Posted : 01 January 2013 10:41:27(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Thanks SteveThumpUp
Offline kariosls37  
#38 Posted : 25 February 2013 23:54:15(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
With the decals in, it was time to get some stuff finished.

Both the M-2 and the K-6 had a rigid chassis of slightly dubious quality, leading to frequnt derailments. Part of the cause of this was that the wheels were not aligned well. Unlike an etched chassis, you cannot really trust a poorly cast whitemetal chassis to alighn the axles properly. To solve this, I ripped out the axle and fitted a means of compensating the axle. This consists of a bit of brass sheet sitting in a groove turned in the middle of the axle. Two guides near the wheels keep the axle from moving around too much and keeps it with the wagon when it is picked up. Below is the result, which runs a lot better. The key to this is giving the guides enough play to let the axle move around freely.
kariosls37 attached the following image(s):
K-6_16.JPG
Offline kariosls37  
#39 Posted : 26 February 2013 00:13:06(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
With the modifications done, it was a simple matter of putting the decals in place, giving it a coat of satin varnish and a little bit of dirt. The mixed is starting to grow slowlyCool
K-6_15.JPG
M-2_36.JPG
Mixed.jpg
Offline kariosls37  
#40 Posted : 21 June 2013 11:38:46(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Time for another kitset. This time an L class highsider, built around the turn of the turn of the last century and one of the first to be built in iron. The kit is another modestly priced model made by Cross Creek Models.

It's the usual story again, straighten the bits, sand to size and start assembling. Because just building the kit is too easy, I fitted a lining to the inside so the wagon has rivets inside and out.

The underframe is of the usual whitemetal kind, and to guarantee good running I fitted my standard compensating mech to one wheelset. The handbrake was fitted and redetailed to suit the prototype and my tastes as well.

I then used my handy little floor height measuring jig, a piece of old track with a bit of brass soldered to the top of the rail making measuring the height off the rails easy. Once I knew what the height was, the coupler box was adjusted and chopped up to suit. The headstocks were also drilled and filed out to fit the couplers. Once the couplers were in some chains were made up and fitted.

More will follow soon

Cheers,
Rick
L5_7.JPG
L5_13.JPG
L5_15.JPG
L5_16.JPG
L5_18.JPG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kariosls37
Offline BrandonVA  
#41 Posted : 21 June 2013 15:00:10(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Rick,

You really have fantastic skill with putting this stuff together. I enjoy seeing your updates. Very nice improvements on the base kit.

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Gregor  
#42 Posted : 22 June 2013 00:25:23(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Rick, I admire your skills and patiences. Very impressive work !

Best regards,
Gregor
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline kariosls37  
#43 Posted : 22 June 2013 14:01:33(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Thanks guys,

With the handbrake done, the air brakes were tackled. Fortuately I was able to photograph a similar wagon's underframe a while back, so I had some reference photos to work off, resulting in a pretty good idea of what the air brake setup looks like, which can then be modelled using the provided brake blocks and brake cylinder plus styrene and wire extra's.

The air hoses were also modelled, being made up of wire and some styrene bits. Again I got lucky because I happened to have photograped an old Westinghouse spares book with many handy drawings.

After that it was just a matter of bending up a handrail from 0.35mm wire, and the wagon's ready for painting, after only half an afternoon and three evenings build time. Not bad considering my scratchbuilt cars have taken the better part of half a year(in between other things)

Now off to the paint shop.Cool

Cheers
Rick
L5_23.JPG
L5_19.JPG
L5_22.JPG
Offline kariosls37  
#44 Posted : 24 June 2013 00:57:22(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
And yesterday the wagon got washed, followed by a light spray of primer.

Cheers,
Rick
L5_24.JPG
Offline kariosls37  
#45 Posted : 27 June 2013 03:49:24(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
With the primer dry, a suitable colour was mixed up from the usual Humbrols. For reference, a colour that is apparently close to the origional haematite colour used on the wagonswas used, which can be seen in the bottom of the pic. The difference in gloss makes the colour looks more different than it is in real life. However, as the real paint varied quite a bit I'm not fussed by some differences in colour. Because I don't have my airbrush handy I just painted the wagon with a brush.

That leaves the underframe to do, which I will airbrush together with a couple of other things, hopefully this weekend.

Cheers,
Rick
L5_25.JPG
Offline kariosls37  
#46 Posted : 29 July 2013 10:39:27(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
It's been lingering around in it's painted state for a while now, and last week I got around to taking some pictures.

This is the state it will linger in for some time, because I need more decals. When I get more made the wagon will probably recieve the same treatment as the other wagons; a light weathering and possibly a load.

For now, here are some photos

Cheers,
Rick
L5_27.JPG
L5_29.JPG
L5_30.JPG
Offline Danlake  
#47 Posted : 29 July 2013 12:49:47(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
It looks really, really good Rick!

Well done.

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline kariosls37  
#48 Posted : 22 August 2013 23:50:59(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Together with the L, I also picked up a car van. The kit models one of a reasonably common 47 1/2' car van. I have picked Af 804 to model. It was built as a plain carriage in 1903, and converted to a car van in 1943. In 1970 it was bought by the Glenbrook Vintage Railway and has served there ever since. The GVR named the car Tainui, after one of the migration waka(canoes) that the indigenous Maori people used to settle NZ. As a volunteer at the GVR, I see it quite a lot and I have no shortage of detail photos of itCool

The kit is a typical Cross Creek kit, with resin sides, ends and roof, whitemetal bogies and detail parts plus some styrene bits for the floor and underframe.
It took quite a bit of sanding to get the sides to the right thickness, but once they were down to size they were glued togther. I was not too happy with some of the detail on the bogies, so I chopped out the unsuitable bits and replaced them with my own styrene stuff. The bolster(the bit that goes between the bogie sides) was also replaced by styrene for ease of use.

Constructing the underframe followed, with the provided styrene being cut and filed to shape. With a little glue and patience and I have something that looks familiar.

That was the easy bit, next up is the detailing.

Cheers,
Rick
DSC_0224.JPG
Tainui_1.JPG
Tainui_3.JPG
Tainui_4.JPG
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kariosls37
Offline kariosls37  
#49 Posted : 01 September 2013 11:14:37(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
I slowly continue to detail the car van.

I haven't done much to the interior except for adding interior walls. In the first pic you can see the toilet top left, with below that the passenger compartment. Further down is the guard's compartment, complete with an alcove for a little potbelly stove.

More work has gone into the outside. Truss rod queenposts were chopped up to suit my prototype, and details were made up to suit from styrene. The provided headstocks were discarded, with new ones to the right shape made up from two layers of styrene. The outer layer is thin annd contains the embossed rivets, while the rest is thicker stuff. Outside floors are also styrene replacements to get nicer detail. The steps are also replacements. Unlike A 300, the steps are a combination of brass strip and styrene. A 300's all styrene steps kept breaking, so I've gone for something more solid this time. The couplers are also on, although the height still needs to be tweaked a little.

Next up are the handrails, which are going to be an interesting soldering job.

Cheers,
Rick
Tainui_11.JPG
Tainui_10.JPG
Offline kariosls37  
#50 Posted : 05 November 2013 03:23:02(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Slowly the car van has progressed. The next thing I did was the underframe, with all it's brake rigging and equipment. Because I happen to have pretty complete pictures of the underside, thanks to the car being parked over the inspection pit when I was carrying a camera, I made a complete model of the underside. Just because. Gas tanks for the lighting will be added later.

The end rails and gates were soldered up from brass strip and wire. It took some time, but it looks the part in the end. Because I couldn't be stuffed looking for my low-temp solder, I soldered everything together using the same solder. This means you have to be a bit cunning to stop other bits from falling apart as you solder bits on. Pleny of flux and a little patience works wonders here.

To aid cutting a number of bits to a consistent length, a high tech cutting jig was used, which you can see in the second pic.

After everything was soldered together styrene catches were stuck on the gates ad the whole lot was glued to the car into pre-drilled holes.

Cheers,
Rick

Tainui_12.JPG
Tainui_13.JPG
Tainui_14.JPG