Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Chris6382chris  
#1 Posted : 14 March 2011 21:26:52(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Hello everyone. My wife has agreed to finance a technological expansion on my layout so I am now looking at the Marklin 60215 Central Station. I have some questions for the group. Is this what is referred to as the CS2? Does the 60215 out of the box need any sort of software update or should I be looking or asking to see anything when I buy the item from my vendor? And finally, does the 60215 have a built in transformer as well or will I need to buy one to supply the power, like I had to for my old 6021.

Thanks everyone for your answers in advance.

Chris
Offline Fredrik  
#2 Posted : 14 March 2011 21:45:34(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hi Chris,

yes this is the CS2. You will probably not need to update a 60215 until a new software update is announced. I doubt these will have another SW than the current state, but even if that should be the case update is simple, especially if you have it connected to an internet connection.

There is no power supply shipped together with the CS2, you will have to buy the stabilized power supply to power it up. I don't have the item # for the 110 V unit.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2011 21:53:16(UTC)
Webmaster

It's the latest version of the CS2 with more power capability specified than earlier versions.

It will need a more powerful transformer to max it, but I suppose you can use your current one for the 6021 too to begin with.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Fredrik  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2011 22:02:20(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Actually I don't think so - I think this one "needs" the stabilized voltage power supply...
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
Offline Webmaster  
#5 Posted : 14 March 2011 22:21:43(UTC)
Webmaster

Ok, I'm still at 60212 (the CS1) but that works with an old transformer as well as with a stabilized DC ones (ESU upgrade option and the 18VA starter set supply). Older CS2's had the 60VA transformers work with them so why shouldn't the new one also accept AC transformers?

Of course you cannot take the max out of the control unit power, but it would be a real design change to only accept DC from a new power unit.. If M has done that, they will of course sell more new power packs but the backward compatibility is then broken and we would maybe hesitate to buy it that way if we need to buy a new power pack too...

I may of course be completely wrong here... Blushing
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Fredrik  
#6 Posted : 14 March 2011 22:48:35(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
For the 60213 the old power supplies work, however there was somthing concerning the common ground of sections powered from different boosters (and in this case the CS2 counts as 1 booster) which required the DC power supply (stabilized power supply). 60215 I think is designed for this only, and 60214 are available in 2 versions - the later one dealing with the common ground issue. Don't have all this confirmed though (yet) - but I have to check what's possible to do (or not) with my 60213.

The alternative option I can see - is that all versions of the CS2 (60213/4/5) accepts both types of power supplies - yet common grounding of sections powered by different boosters requires units powered by stabilized power, and boosters must be 60174. In this case also 60213 and early 60214 needs ground separation (as well as 60173 booster). 60214 units allowing this common ground should be specifically labeled.
Fredrik.
Offline GSRR  
#7 Posted : 14 March 2011 23:09:13(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Chris,

can you provide a little more information? How large is the layout, how many powered sections, how many trains do you want to run, are you interested in PC software control?

The new CS2 will come out with an internal booster of 5A. It might be meant for Spur 1, LGB, and the like. There is indeed a modified / updated 60214 that has a distinctive makers mark on the underside.

Supply of CS2 have been limited in the US. Unlike the ECoS it does not come with a transformer. The new Switch Mode Power Supplies are all 230V, not available as 120V, and upwards of $150.00

I know of one person who has wired his layout with 230V so that he could use a Marklin transformer with his CS2.

Do a search for SMPS or Switch Mode Power Supplies with either H0 (Tom) or myself GSRR. Here is an example:

https://www.marklin-user...d-Mode-Power-Supply.aspx

If you are willing to forgo a color screen, and are interested in software control like iTrain, then perhaps look at an ESU ECoS 50000. It comes with a 90V power supply included.

r/Thomas

Edited by user 15 March 2011 05:32:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline GSRR  
#8 Posted : 14 March 2011 23:17:56(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Chris,

Here is some discussion about the 60215.

https://www.marklin-user..._postst18024_CS2-v3.aspx

Look at post 56 for mention of the new symbol added to later 60214 CS2.

Sicherheitstransformator - kurzschlussfest. Ausgangsspannung bis höchstens 50 Volt

Safety transformer - short circuit proof. Output voltage up to a maximum of 50 volts

http://www.stummiforum.d...opic.php?f=5&t=57096

http://www.code-knacker.de/elektro.htm

r/Thomas
ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Chris6382chris  
#9 Posted : 15 March 2011 01:58:30(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
All thank you for your comments. Let me add some detail. My layout is a very simple layout, you can see the basics of it in the "My Layout" section of this site. My main purpose for purchasing a new controller is to upgrade from my 1.9A MS1. I currently have nine engines and will be soon getting number 10 BigGrin and then 11, and on and on. So I want to have something that will allow me to have more than ten engines on the layout at once. As far as operation goes, I do not plan on really runnning more than 3 trains at once, Train 1 on the mainline, Train 2 switching in the yard, and train 3 a passenger train or railbus making stops, or another engine switching the various industries (My wife or a friend will serve as the engineer for the third train). The switches are all manually thrown and I do not operate any signal controlled blocks at this time (this could change). Furthermore as it stands right now, my MS1 1.9A is able to handle the traffic just fine so once I buy the CS2 I do not plan on needing any boosters.

So as you can see I am really using the CS2 to get extra engine capacity on the layout. Based on the comments I have read, it sounds like the 60215 isn't even out yet or if it is it is very new. So what Marklin product would I find right now that is out there, CS1 and early version of CS2 (60213 and 60214)?

If I bought a 60213 or 60214 new at a store are they upgraded or is it likely I will need to upgrade them via the internet? And is the ESU ECoS 50000 plug and play compatible with Marklin? That is really my goal here. Something practical, simple and that works.

Thanks again for all the great information.

Chris

Here is a pic of the main portion of my layout.

UserPostedImage
Offline GSRR  
#10 Posted : 15 March 2011 02:24:32(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Chris,

I would stay away from the CS1 60212, unless it's free. The 60214 would be more than adequate for your sized layout. How will you operate the turnouts, manual, or with a CS?

Because the newer SMP supplies are not available in 120V, you would want at minimum the 60055 60VA transformer. I would stay away from older style transformers like the 6646 or 6001 range.

The CS2 is like any PC, there will be software updates at intervals, and you can always update when you wish.

As for the ECoS it could be the older 50000 or newer 50200 color screen, it is perfectly compatible with Marklin.

You could ask river6109 (John) what he thinks of his. See his review here:

https://www.marklin-user...mmand-Station-50200.aspx

r/Thomas
Offline Chris6382chris  
#11 Posted : 15 March 2011 04:50:56(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Again, thanks for the response. So does the 60055 transformer have two wires that connect to the 60214 like you would have done with the old 6021 or is it a cable that plugs in from the transformer to the CS2 which would be similar to my MS1?

And I must say I do like the fact that the ECOS has a built in transformer. From what I have seen online it seems that the price for the ECOS and the CS2 are approximately the same, is that correct? Also I noticed that the list price for the 60215 cheaper than the 60214, does anyone know if the 60214 will be adjusted down to a cheaper price?

Chris
Offline GSRR  
#12 Posted : 15 March 2011 05:21:41(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Chris,

with the 60055 you would need the 120722 cable. Look at post # 14 for a picture.

https://www.marklin-user...ormer--Is-this-safe.aspx

https://www.marklin-user...-power-supply--SMPS.aspx

In terms of price. Currently the price from ETS website. Eisenbahn-Treffpunkt SCHWEICKHARDT

http://www.modelleisenba...com/listen/liste.php?h=1

M 60214 537,00 Euros (No VAT)
M 60055 67,00 Euros (No VAT)
M 120722 11,22 Euros (No VAT)

ECoS 50200 includes separate power supply and cable - inclusive price

http://www.modelleisenba...m/listen/liste.php?h=334

50200 504,00 Euros (No VAT)

r/Thomas

Offline Chris6382chris  
#13 Posted : 15 March 2011 05:24:38(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Thanks Thomas, helpful information.

Chris
Offline GSRR  
#14 Posted : 15 March 2011 05:27:55(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
You can also check with Wolfgang at http://www.eisenbahnclinic.com/

He is in Hollister and is an ESU dealer.

If you are an ETE member you get a discount.

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#15 Posted : 15 March 2011 06:43:16(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Fredrik Go to Quoted Post
I don't have the item # for the 110 V unit.

AFAIK, there isn't one as yet.

There are 3 model numbers that are referred to as the CS2 (60213, 60214, 60215) and 60215 is the latest in that lineup. As the others have stated, power output is increased to 5 amps, but for that you need the new 100va stabilised power supply.

The 100va power supply is meant to work with the 60214 (according to the description in the 2011 New Items catalog), so it is hoped that 60214 will be able to output 5 amps.

Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Older CS2's had the 60VA transformers work with them so why shouldn't the new one also accept AC transformers?

It will, but you need a cable with the correct 4 pin connector. Marklin sell one - part #120722

According to the provisional delivery schedule from Marklin Netherlands, the 60215 is scheduled to start delivery this month, and the 60101 100va/230v power supply is scheduled for delivery 2nd quarter of 2011.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#16 Posted : 18 March 2011 15:42:50(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Chris6382chris Go to Quoted Post
Again, thanks for the response. So does the 60055 transformer have two wires that connect to the 60214 like you would have done with the old 6021 or is it a cable that plugs in from the transformer to the CS2 which would be similar to my MS1?

And I must say I do like the fact that the ECOS has a built in transformer. From what I have seen online it seems that the price for the ECOS and the CS2 are approximately the same, is that correct? Also I noticed that the list price for the 60215 cheaper than the 60214, does anyone know if the 60214 will be adjusted down to a cheaper price?

Chris

Hello Chris, All,
Pardon a newbe member for butting in, The Ecos does not actually have a built in power supply but it has one in the box it's shipped with. It is a switched mode power supply that has an adjustable output voltage but it is ready to plug and play giving you 90va ( Vs Marklin 60215 with new Switched mode power supply delivering a claimed 100va ). The only draw back with the Ecos is that it may not be able to fully "infiltrate" those new Marklin decoders and mess with them, that wouldn't worry me as you can do enough for pleasureable MRR fine tuning.Smile
Being in the USA I would suggest you check out a few local dealers before looking overseas, but if you do, I would suggest buying from Lokshop Ek as they are overall the best people to deal with in all respects. ETS treat you like a Mushroom and have rubbish packaging such that items arrive damaged, or at least the item's Brand packaging is damaged, often quite badly. That said if your in Stuttgart or anywhere in Wurttemburg, ETS is the best store to visit, ( The Waiblingen one ) and you can buy and have it shipped home minus VAT (Mwst), but when your there demand that they pay attention to the packaging of your shipment. All this from personal experience gentlemen members.
In the USA for ESU product, AJC Kids website is worth a close look and yes definitely a check out. Also RJF Trains and also Woolfgang at;http://www.eisenbahnclinic.com/ because he is a Markllin Service agent, and ESU Sales and service agent and has a heap of technical knowledge and repair expertise if you need help.Cool
If you going to buy a new Marklin CS, go for broke and buy the 60215 CS2 with a switched mode power supply M60101 = 100va output, however it ( the sales blurb ) says input should be 230 volts 50 hertz. Some parts of the US I understand have this, rather than just 110 volts, but the nature of a switched mode power supply, as I understand it, is that it will accept a big range or input voltages eg the Ecos one 100-240 volts input, which brings us back to the Ecos being ready to go in the USA with no hesitation and a Locolist situation where you can have up to 10 locos instantly ready for call up on screen at any one time and quickly switch between them to adjust speed and direction and operate functions. That said Radio Shack and other have step up transformers that boost the wall current, 110 volts up to 230 volts
How do I know all this, well, being the currently satisfied owner, but not without trial and tribulations I must admit, of CS1 (60212) reloaded V 3.03, the only Manual for reference I've found is the new Ecos one, every on screen feature is the same except that the colour screen and the throttle arrangement is different. If I sound like an ESU fan well I am reservedly, as I still can't forgive them totally for the situation orchestrated by them that we have two Marklin CS' and their Ecos, even tho it is nice to have a choice, and competition allways improves a brand if it doesn't go broke first !!Angry
So Chris good luck with your Controller selection, read what you see on this forum and take the bits you want and mull it over and hopefully come up with a descision your happy with.
One last thing. My friend and list member DrWhittle has just sent his second replacement CS2 back to Marklin and is awaiting shipment of a third which they promise will be a 60215, he expects a bit of a wait !Cursing
I cannot promise an Ecos will be 100% reialble either, but it also has a warranty, as we/the manufacturers are breaking a bit of new ground, and who ever had a perfectly reliable computer anyway Flapper cause thats what they are,(with about the same computing power as a smart phone), compared to the good ol 6021 ( I have one of those too, lost in a cupboard somewhere.Wink That said you will really enjoy your trains with a CS or Ecos and what you can do with it., Beware it/they may cause you to invest in full Digital control of your layout, just for the fun of itLOL
I do not have any financial interest in the businesses I have refered too, but with Lokshop (execellent),. RJF Trains (good) and ETS (not so good), personal buying experience. Aw gee I've wandered a bit off topic -- again sorry guys Blushing

Edited by moderator 19 March 2011 02:32:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#17 Posted : 18 March 2011 16:25:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
.... that we have two Marklin CS' and their Ecos.....

I share your pain! I gave up and got all 3 (although my CS1 is still at v2.0.4, and my Ecos is somewhere in the middle of the Tasman Sea, on its way from Aussie)

BTW, I have found ETS to be very good regarding packaging, no complaints at all. Even my Big Boy was well packaged. Experienced is based on having half a dozen packages sent from them. Having said that, several other forum members have said they have had package issues with ETS.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Writhdar  
#18 Posted : 18 March 2011 19:13:24(UTC)
Writhdar

Chris,

If you just want to be able to control more than 10 locos, you might think of getting two MS2's (and the necessary connection box 60113, I think). The total cost should be <$300. As I understand it, the units function independently so two MS2's give you a 20 loco capacity (22 locos with a loco card in each).

I considered this but decided to get an ECoS 2 as I wanted wireless radio capability as well as the other features it comes with. (As you probably know, there is now an iThingy app that enables a suitable iThingy to function as a wireless controller for the CS2 so wireless is also possible with the CS2.) I just received the ECoS 2 and, so far, am very happy with it - in particular, the unexpected (by me) ability to have ten locos immediately accessible on the "cab window". Switching between locos is almost instantaneous.

Dan

Offline Webmaster  
#19 Posted : 18 March 2011 22:09:56(UTC)
Webmaster

Dan, wireless control capability with an iPhone/Pod/Pad has been around for quite a while for the CS1/Ecos... TouchCab... It does not support CS2 yet, but works fine with CS1 and the Esu Ecos... So it you have a home network, an IThingy and a CS1/Ecos - it's worth the 6-7 dollars it costs...
Offline Writhdar  
#20 Posted : 18 March 2011 23:30:36(UTC)
Writhdar

Juhan,

Isn't there an "i" app that works for the CS2? It was described in the last Digital Newsletter as well as various posts in the forum.

I'm not presently considering Touchcab for my ECoS 2 because I don't have any iThingy's (or a wireless router near my layout). In fact, I just received the ECoS Control Radio today and will set it up shortly.

Dan
Offline NZMarklinist  
#21 Posted : 19 March 2011 01:17:58(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

I share your pain! I gave up and got all 3 (although my CS1 is still at v2.0.4, and my Ecos is somewhere in the middle of the Tasman Sea, on its way from Aussie)

BTW, I have found ETS to be very good regarding packaging, no complaints at all. Even my Big Boy was well packaged. Experienced is based on having half a dozen packages sent from them. Having said that, several other forum members have said they have had package issues with ETS.

Hi Dave, Chris, All,
Don't know from where you quote those words of mine Dave, not this thread anyhow Confused

edit 30/11/14 ; Sorry Dave must have had my head in another thread Confused Blushing

Just to reiterate, A transformer or "Switched Mode Power Supply" is included in the Ecos 50200 price and box,and it accepts multi household voltages so can be used in USA, Europe, Aus, NZ etc BigGrin
With the Marklin CS a Transformer or Power Supply is extra !Crying
From my own point of view I had intended to use my CS1-R for the modular layout, networked maybe with another one, currently not Reloaded, and buy a CS2 for my home layout. I'm swaying towards an Ecos because of CS reliability issues, and lots of things are more readily compatable with Ecos, Still I have a thing for the Marklin brand and feel perhaps I should have a CS2 to fine tune Loks with the new decoders. Confused Huh That said there might be some cheap 2nd hand CS2s coming up from guys upgrading to 60215.Flapper
Now another difference between the two systems, which may not bother you Chris, is that the Ecos boosters also come with SMPS included in the box and have a 90va output. The Marklin booster 60174 puts out 58va and is only for use with the 60213/4 CS2's, somaybe a new booster is on the way for 60215 Confused
Both controllers have an IPhone/Ipod/Ipad app that will run them, Touch Cab for CS1-R and Ecos, Marklin for CS2, and that one probably has the edge from the Youtube vids I've seen, but I've not personally used either.
At our last Module exhibition, one of our members was using his Iphone/Touchcab thru a WiFi router attached to the CS1-R and enjoyed himself immensely tooting my whistles and speeding up / stopping my trains, all without my permission or ability to block it either Cursing BigGrin
Another little thing, The CS1 and Ecos are a plug and play connectivity to your computor and you readily have the screen displayed on your bigger ? computor screen, might appeasl to some people and certainly does to my said Trian Doctor friend whoe's CS1 only displays half a screen (due to a broken ribbon), whilst his CS2 is back at Marklin awaiting replacement.
Comments have been made about two and four pole Marklin power cables, ESU ones are a round two pole pug and come attached to each ps ready to plug in to the Ecos and or boosters.Cool

Further reading your original question Chris, seeing the CS 60215 will be a brand new unit, it should not need any immediate update, but as all these controllers are updateable there will be some fairly soon after their release I would think, that is the beauty of these new fangled things, they can grow old gracefully, and allways do a back up before an update incase you have a problem with it LOL
That said whilst I really like the new lease of life the ESU update/reload has given my CS1, I would not buy a CS1 with the thought of updating it, (their resale is quite strong from auctions I've been following on ebay) I would just buy a new Controller of my choice !Blink

Edited by user 30 November 2014 05:02:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#22 Posted : 19 March 2011 02:34:48(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Don't know from where you quote those words of mine Dave, not this thread anyhow Confused

Hi Glen, yes those words are from this thread. See your post of the 19th March - I have highlighted them for you.

I'm still not sure what controller I will use on my layout. I do want to have a remote controller to the main one, that is why I have left my CS1 at v2.0.4, which means it can work as a remote controller to the CS2. I brought Nev's Ecos 1 so that I could have a controller with the latest ESU software, without having to update my CS1.

However, with the newly announced Loconet adapter for the Ecos, that would most likely give you the option of being able to link 2 Ecos together via Loconet, thereby being able to use 2 controllers on the layout. It also gives an Ecos access to the Lissy train detection systems, as well as the IB modular Switchboard technology. If that works, that would give me a reason to update my CS1. The CS2 would then be a bit of an orphan!

Decisions, decisions!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline NZMarklinist  
#23 Posted : 19 March 2011 02:59:41(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Smile

Dave,
Before I made my first purchase thru ETS I was warned by some Marklin friends in the US, whilst at EuroWest '05, that ETS packaging was below par, I'll attach some photos of it, recieved Dec '05 ( Ithink I've just worked out how). The flimsyness of the parcel was further excacerbated by it getting wet somewhere along the way, I have to add that the RE460 and the ICE train all work fine and continue to do so to this day (i hope) Mellow . The next order (which was placed with a proviso re packaging) from them was fine and over packed if anything and arrived in perfect condition. Last year I bought the Trix kits of the Hammburg Dammtor Station and they just put them in the box with no padding at all just some bubble pack at one end, also the add on kit was put in on its end so most of the parts have broken off their spru's, as have quite a few in the main kit, which makes the building of a difficult kit even more so.Cursing
Lokhop are consistently careful with their packaging I find and whilst, occasionally, the odd learkarton has had a slight krinkle, everything has allways been intact Smile
You may choose to move this discussion to a new thread ??
NZMarklinist attached the following image(s):
ETS1.JPG
ETS3.JPG
ETS4.JPG
ETS2.JPG
Trix Kit Hb Dmtr.JPG
Glen
Auckland NZ

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline Carlos  
#24 Posted : 29 November 2014 22:06:37(UTC)
Carlos

United States   
Hello: Please I need to know if I own the central station 60215, I still need the booster 60174.
I'm sorry about mi English, Regards,
Carlos
Offline clapcott  
#25 Posted : 29 November 2014 22:48:46(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Carlos Go to Quoted Post
Hello: Please I need to know if I own the central station 60215, I still need the booster 60174.
Carlos

Hello Carlos,

You do not need a booster(60173/60174) for your CS2(60213/60214/60215) until your layout grows and requires additional power to run more trains concurrently.
It may be be useful in situations where you specifically want different power boundaries.

If you do want to expand your layout with a Booster(60173/60174) they each require a power supply of their own.

Peter
Offline Renato  
#26 Posted : 29 November 2014 23:26:08(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Carlos,

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Renato
Offline grnwtrs  
#27 Posted : 29 November 2014 23:31:20(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Smile

Dave,
Before I made my first purchase thru ETS I was warned by some Marklin friends in the US, whilst at EuroWest '05, that ETS packaging was below par, I'll attach some photos of it, recieved Dec '05 ( Ithink I've just worked out how). The flimsyness of the parcel was further excacerbated by it getting wet somewhere along the way, I have to add that the RE460 and the ICE train all work fine and continue to do so to this day (i hope) Mellow . The next order (which was placed with a proviso re packaging) from them was fine and over packed if anything and arrived in perfect condition. Last year I bought the Trix kits of the Hammburg Dammtor Station and they just put them in the box with no padding at all just some bubble pack at one end, also the add on kit was put in on its end so most of the parts have broken off their spru's, as have quite a few in the main kit, which makes the building of a difficult kit even more so.Cursing
Lokhop are consistently careful with their packaging I find and whilst, occasionally, the odd learkarton has had a slight krinkle, everything has allways been intact Smile

That is why I left ETS after about 15 years. When one of the daughters took over the order department, and the shipping department got "new management" , I started to notice the packaging was getting worse and worse. Then when they lost a rather large Christmas order, I finally had enough .

Best Regards,

gene
Offline NZMarklinist  
#28 Posted : 30 November 2014 04:36:11(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Carlos Go to Quoted Post
Carlos

Hi Carlos, and welcome to the forum, your English is quite OK ThumpUp
You can run trains with the CS 60215 without a 60174 booster, but you should have a 60065 (120volt) Switched mode power supply for it.
As explained earlier, a booster is only needed if you have a larger layout and run a lot of trains (more than 5 let's say) and especially if coaches have lights, but you should only use a 60174 these days as it is the newer one, and you will need another 60065 for that also.

References are made earlier in this thread to, the now late, Woolfgang Lietenberger of Eisenbahn Clinic. He was an advocate for using a booster with all CS's for track power.
The reason being that they take the spike of a short circuit, and hence the software of your Controller is protected from those evil nasties that as documented else where in this forum, particularly in CS2 threads, that can scramble your personal settings, and worse Scared

So when my layout is up and running, I will be having all track power going thru boosters, and only the decoders for Switches and Signals, will be connected to the CS track power output as advised by Woolfgang.
When you think about it, this makes very good practical sense as it allows control of other areas, not the least being Switches and signals, when any given booster area is shut off, and a change in the switch or point settings may well be necessary to prevent a reoccurance of the short circuit caused by a derailment OhMyGod (just one, but a common example Wink )
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline NZMarklinist  
#29 Posted : 30 November 2014 10:38:17(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: grnwtrs Go to Quoted Post
Smile

Dave,

That is why I left ETS after about 15 years. When one of the daughters took over the order department, and the shipping department got "new management" , I started to notice the packaging was getting worse and worse. Then when they lost a rather large Christmas order, I finally had enough .

Best Regards,

gene

What happened with ETS was, Uli Schweickhardt, "sold" the business to his kids and the rather substandard packaging, and Internet Shop service, got worse IMHO, but I have not ordered anything from them since the Trix Dammtor Kits on 2010. I rather suspected that they were more interested in their walk in traffic than the internet shop, a decision that could have dyer consequences for their business Scared
They do however, or used to, have a very well stocked, huge store in Waiblingen which was always a treat to visit

Lokshop on the other hand have totally lifted their game in their packaging department and everything I have received over the last few years has arrived extremely well packed and always in perfect condition !
(But they have a very small walk in store), On line shopping is their main thing and Lokshop do it very well IMHO ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#30 Posted : 30 November 2014 11:01:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
........I will be having all track power going thru boosters.....

'Tis what I've done with my layout - 2 60174 boosters with no track feed from the CS2. I'm using 2 ESU 90va power supplies with the boosters, but will have to get some 60100's eventually.

As for ETS, I must admit that it is a few years since I purchased from them, so their packaging standards may have deteriorated since then.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#31 Posted : 30 November 2014 14:38:14(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
........I will be having all track power going thru boosters.....

'Tis what I've done with my layout - 2 60174 boosters with no track feed from the CS2. I'm using 2 ESU 90va power supplies with the boosters, but will have to get some 60100's eventually.

As for ETS, I must admit that it is a few years since I purchased from them, so their packaging standards may have deteriorated since then.

Hi Dave,

It is my understanding, and I could be wrong, Huh that the max output of the 60174 is 58va or 3 Amps, and adding a 60101 doesn't increase the output of the Booster, as it does the 60215 CS2. If you know different please show us the documentation so we can all be informed Wink
The Catalogue and M database descriptions are ambiguous Confused
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline H0  
#32 Posted : 30 November 2014 15:10:25(UTC)
H0

The Catalogue and M database descriptions are ambiguous Confused
The description in the product database contains some copy'n'paste errors (still refers to 60215 where it should be 60174).
The 60174 is equivalent to the internal booster of the 60215 - up to 5 A with the 60101.

http://archiv.maerklin.d...Logo=1&fromSLIMSITE=
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#33 Posted : 30 November 2014 19:33:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I have always had good service from Lokshop, since I started using them about 15 years ago. Originally they were a bit slow to answer straight queries, or to update on order status, but they now have an automated status update that occurs on a regular basis, as well as when the status of any items on order changes or a new order is submitted. Roland Baer has been very helpful in correspondence I have had with him, and I consider myself a very satisfied customer of them.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#34 Posted : 30 November 2014 19:35:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Lokshop on the other hand have totally lifted their game in their packaging department and everything I have received over the last few years has arrived extremely well packed and always in perfect condition !
(But they have a very small walk in store), On line shopping is their main thing and Lokshop do it very well IMHO ThumpUp

I have always had good service from Lokshop, since I started using them about 15 years ago. Originally they were a bit slow to answer straight queries, or to update on order status, but they now have an automated status update that occurs on a regular basis, as well as when the status of any items on order changes or a new order is submitted. Roland Baer has been very helpful in correspondence I have had with him, and I consider myself a very satisfied customer of them.