Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jonquinn  
#1 Posted : 18 January 2011 03:05:47(UTC)
jonquinn

I happened upon this product today browsing through some magazines at a bookstore. Don't recall the magazine, but the 3D printer in the article is fairly affordable considering the technology it represents.

Its made by a company called makerbot, and it can be built as a kit for less than $900 US. They also seem to have a slightly more expensive version. Its called Cupcake CNC.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:457
http://store.makerbot.co...upcake-cnc-ultimate.html
http://www.makerbot.com/

now there is also no doubt some expensive 3D CAD program needed to design the things you want to make, I'm guessing like Rhino or Solidworks, which I understand can be quite expensive (unless you can get the student version). From what I've read so far it doesn't seem to say what CAD software is needed. But, if you think about the potentials to make and sell the things you 3D print, it could pay for itself. I recall a business selling Z scale trucks and structures made by 3D printing at an NMRA National TRain Show (Cincinnati) a couple of years ago - the tiny gadgets they were selling were (too) expensive.
They also make a 3D scanner, so you could have it photscan something (like a figure, structure, maybe even a car/wagon?) and have it do a 3D plot that you could then make more copies of.

I don't think its in my immediate future (plus I don't have the CAD skills, I've struggled mightily drafting something relatively simple with an old version of AutoCAD), but seems like a fun thing to have. I might consider the 3D scanner kit however. I am in the process or buying a 3D router machine, primarily for my RC airplane hobby, so I can cut out my own kits. Its made/sold by a company called Phlatboyz, and its also a kit. There could be applications for MRR with this machine too, in particular structures I think. It is driven by software and simple (and free) as Sketchup!
Offline kariosls37  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2011 00:50:51(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Rapid prototyping is still a new technology. I have seen photos of models made this way, and they look promising. However, The technology is still guite expensive, and a good, smooth model is possible, but very expensive. For a model to be handled the commercially 3D printed models are still very grainy and hard to work with. The more expensive materials and techneques however, can be used as master models for casting in resin or metal, which has been done with success.
This thread shows the progression from computer design to a printed model in N scale.

As for DIY 3D printers, I think it would not be worth the money and effort for scale models, as the resolution (grainyness) will be too low to get nice looking results.
Watch this space though, it looks very promising for future models.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kariosls37
Offline GeoM528  
#3 Posted : 12 May 2014 11:50:55(UTC)
GeoM528

United Kingdom   
3D printing is very promising. This will give life to your creativity in just a short span. If you already have one, you start creating your master pieces by designing through free software; CAD is the advisable one. I’m an AutoCAD user for almost a year already. I made my recent architectural projects through this, one of which is the 3D printed technological park miniature made out of plastic PLA filaments from 3D2print. I also have a high rise building and 3D printed houses and villas.
Offline jeehring  
#4 Posted : 12 May 2014 17:57:56(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: GeoM528 Go to Quoted Post
3D printing is very promising. (...)....

it is even the beginning of a real revolution !
Correctly scann what you want ...& it's done .

what surprised me most are metal objects : thin layers of metal particles + laser....