Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Webmaster  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2011 22:29:14(UTC)
Webmaster

Well, upgraded my iPod Touch to the latest software version today.

Also bought the full version of TouchCab (v 1.5) for use with the CS1 I have.

All I can say is that it beats the hardware based handheld controllers by miles with its ease of use and and available features. It really shines in the ergonomic area...

It of course demands that you have a CS1/Ecos attached to a home network with wireless capability, but it is quite common to have that nowadays... Having the necessary bits, I find this cheap bit of software absolutely superb! No noticeable delays giving commands, nor any other issues..

Now we are eagerly awaiting CS2 support and an Android version too... Wink

All I can say is - Well Done, Jens!!! ThumpUp
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2011 22:59:21(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I concur.

Just a slight word of caution.
Try to limit any changes on the CS1 (adding/removing locs) while TouchCab is connected. Also do not address a loco with TouchCab that is in use by the CS1 (specifically shuttle reservation). The CS1 will "recover" from a screwed up situation (2 devices contending for the same resource) by rebooting: very disconcerting and any shuttle activity will be disabled - if a shuttle train was moving it will continue past the end sensors and possibly run amuck

However I would not hold my breath for CS2 variant. The interface and command set is significantly different from that which ESU incorporated in their design, and Jens has already indicated other priorities.
That said Jens has indicated that he can be "focused" by the financial bias of the programs support - i.e. if you buy the software he will be more inclined to listen to you.

Peter
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2011 23:16:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I downloaded the free version and installed it on the iPad I had on loan from work. I used Touchcab at our recent show, and it worked fine, very useful to have when looking after a layout like our club's one, which is 8 metres long, especially if you are at the other end from the central station.

I didn't experience any of the issues that Peter mentioned, but then my overall time using the program was limited.

Touchcab support is one of the reasons why I prefer the CS1 over the CS2.
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2011 23:26:40(UTC)
Webmaster

Well the full version cost about 5 Euros, I can live with that... BigGrin

Haven't planned to take control of any automatic loks in preprogrammed routes anyway, so it will probably work ok with manual control of couple of loks on the layout in shunting areas, around a turntable and such...

I mean, those thingies you want to control manually...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 03 January 2011 00:10:46(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
OK, I was a bit out of date Blushing

Jens has made a 01Jan2011 post committing to CS2 support in v2.1 sometime "in the first half of 2011"
Peter
Offline GSRR  
#6 Posted : 04 July 2011 21:25:54(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
As of now TouchCab is at v1.6 beta, with an RC in the works. v2.0 is still waiting for the release of the Lenz XpressNet 23151.

With the release of the Lenz 23151 and v2.0, the CS2 will be supported. Problem is Lenz is taking their sweet time.

r/Thomas

Edited by user 05 July 2011 07:26:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline TouchCab  
#7 Posted : 16 August 2011 17:50:22(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Hi all

For the record, version 1.6 has been sent to Apple for approval a few days ago.

Although I too have taken my sweet time, this version is not a full XpressNet release. For XpressNet, the only difference between the free and the paid version is that you only have 8 functions in the free version.

However, behind the scenes there are many changes in preparation for the future, so I am quite happy with the release.
Having no other projects at hand now, I expect new releases to happen significantly faster than this one did.

Immediate roadmap:

v1.7: Full-blown XpressNet/Lenz
v1.8: CS2
Best regards,
Jens
---
This account is no longer active
Offline GSRR  
#8 Posted : 19 August 2011 06:31:20(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Thanx Jens.

And now we wait for Apple, tick tock. BigGrin

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 19 August 2011 07:18:59(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: GSRR Go to Quoted Post
Thanx Jens.

r/Thomas

Sorry,
is this because they are not in season ?LOL
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline GSRR  
#10 Posted : 19 August 2011 07:50:10(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Thanx Jens.

r/Thomas

Sorry,
is this because they are not in season ?LOL

Yes John, still a little green, but it will come to fruition.

Flapper

Offline TouchCab  
#11 Posted : 19 August 2011 15:28:14(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Had to pull both apps due to a nasty bug, but they have both been resubmitted after the fix.
Best regards,
Jens
---
Offline NZMarklinist  
#12 Posted : 27 September 2011 06:52:35(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Jens,
Sorry to repeat myself as per the other thread. My upgrade to v1.6 has killed the app for me it will not open on my phone now. I just checked and I did the update on 30th August so presumnably it was the fixed version ??
Whats your best advise for a fix, reload, do I have to repurchase or what ??
Your help will be appreciated.

Cheers
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline NZMarklinist  
#13 Posted : 29 September 2011 19:15:18(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
Jens,
Sorry to repeat myself as per the other thread. My upgrade to v1.6 has killed the app for me it will not open on my phone now. I just checked and I did the update on 30th August so presumnably it was the fixed version ??
Whats your best advise for a fix, reload, do I have to repurchase or what ??
Your help will be appreciated.

Cheers

Jens, All,
Got my head around deleting the app from my Iphone ( hold finger on icon till all the apps woble then press again on it when it has a "x" on it and hey presto it's deleted) Blushing Sync'd my phone again to ITunes and my apps, Touch Cab was reloaded to the phone and it seems to work perfectly now, so where's Gary's Router gone to Steve ???? Cursing so I can connect it to my CS1-R and have a play !!

Edited by user 30 September 2011 05:51:30(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Chris6382chris  
#14 Posted : 29 September 2011 20:11:01(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
So Touch Cab will work with the ECOS II? I hope to have the ECOS II soon and this will be a great addition for my ipod and ipad. I might even get the wife to help me run some trains.

Chris
Offline Webmaster  
#15 Posted : 29 September 2011 20:21:38(UTC)
Webmaster

Have the latest version on both iPods and the iPad, works great on all with the old CS1 (unreloaded)...

My son's little brother Jimmy thought it was very fun to play with too... He was glued to the iPad while I & son were "babysitting" him for an evening, he was playing Angry Birds and then controlling trains... He thought it was great with the trains....

Ecos 2 would be a great companion for the app too...BigGrin
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 29 September 2011 22:03:54(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Chris6382chris Go to Quoted Post
So Touch Cab will work with the ECOS II?

It should do, as the Ecos software is no different to the Ecos I (apart from the colour screen).

According to Jens' roadmap, support for the Marklin CS2 will happen in v 1.8.
Offline TouchCab  
#17 Posted : 04 October 2011 04:06:56(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Whoa - lots of things going on on my birthday the 29th. 50 years old ... I'm officially a grown-up. BigGrin
Better keep a track on this thread.

@NZMarklinist: Good you got running again. In general, iTunes knows you bought the app once, so even if you bust out completely and delete it from your computer also, you can download it again for free on the same account.

@Chris6382chris: Yes, TouchCab works with the ECoS 2 also.

@everyone:
I'm currently working hard on full XpressNet support for version 1.7 which is to be demoed at the LYDCC exhibition in Rawtenstall, UK, at the end of October. I hope to bring a full beta, but there is a lot of work involved, so I may only have a late alpha release at that time.
If you are in the neighborhood, drop by and shake hands. I will be there myself Wink

And then, yes, the roadmap is set and CS2 is officially in the pipeline. I can't give any dates, but the way time is flying these days, it's right around the corner ...
Best regards,
Jens
---
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#18 Posted : 04 October 2011 04:11:59(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I took the plunge and got an iPod along with Jen's Touchpad and the Marklin Mobile App. I've previously tried the free version of Touchcab, so I'm sure the full version will be great. Means I won't have to crawl back and forth underneath the layout when there's a problem! ThumpUp
Offline NZMarklinist  
#19 Posted : 06 October 2011 08:39:06(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TouchCab Go to Quoted Post
Whoa - lots of things going on on my birthday the 29th. 50 years old ... I'm officially a grown-up. BigGrin
Better keep a track on this thread.

@NZMarklinist: Good you got running again. In general, iTunes knows you bought the app once, so even if you bust out completely and delete it from your computer also, you can download it again for free on the same account.

@Chris6382chris: Yes, TouchCab works with the ECoS 2 also.

@everyone:
I'm currently working hard on full XpressNet support for version 1.7 which is to be demoed at the LYDCC exhibition in Rawtenstall, UK, at the end of October. I hope to bring a full beta, but there is a lot of work involved, so I may only have a late alpha release at that time.
If you are in the neighborhood, drop by and shake hands. I will be there myself Wink

And then, yes, the roadmap is set and CS2 is officially in the pipeline. I can't give any dates, but the way time is flying these days, it's right around the corner ...

Thanks Jens,
Many Happy Rturns
What about an I Pad app, with full Layout and multi throttles, pages and combination of, similar to Ma Ipad app, for us CS1 R & ESU enthusiasts BigGrin , before you get to CS2 and competition from Marklin ?? Unsure
Keep up the good work ThumpUp

Cheers
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline TouchCab  
#20 Posted : 06 October 2011 14:24:09(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
... for us CS1 R & ESU enthusiasts BigGrin

Gotcha! Wink

No - CS2 first makes more sense:
1) I will have support for the command stations I want for now
2) I get to show how Märklin should have done it
Cool

... and then on to the track plans.

Edited by user 08 October 2011 03:47:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards,
Jens
---
Offline NZMarklinist  
#21 Posted : 12 February 2012 12:34:58(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Touch Cab version 1.7 upgrade available from I Tunes !!

A few minor bug fixes and slight presentation change !!
Glen
Auckland NZ

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline TouchCab  
#22 Posted : 15 February 2012 23:29:44(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   

Unfortunately I have introduced a new bug with 1.7:
Train routes on CS1 v2.0.4 are interpreted as level crossings Blushing Blushing Blushing

Version 1.7.1 is on the way shortly ...

Best regards
Jens
Best regards,
Jens
---
Offline NZMarklinist  
#23 Posted : 19 February 2012 08:32:18(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   

Unfortunately I have introduced a new bug with 1.7:
Train routes on CS1 v2.0.4 are interpreted as level crossings Blushing Blushing Blushing

Version 1.7.1 is on the way shortly ...

Best regards
Jens

Does the bug effect Ecos & CS1-R Blink

I think 1.7 is a good upgrade as, among other improvs, when you log it (your Ithingy) on, the throttle immediately shows the last controlled train from CS1-R screen. Also when using other functions instead of just the lower mode menu ? getting you back to the throttle, there is a throttle icon top of screen that is a handier access for your thumb ThumpUp Wink
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline TouchCab  
#24 Posted : 19 February 2012 14:52:53(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   

Nope - CS1 v2.0.4 only.
Best regards,
Jens
---
Offline NZMarklinist  
#25 Posted : 01 March 2012 14:50:26(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   

Nope - CS1 v2.0.4 only.

I've loaded the upgrade and all's well, but don't have a CS1 v 2.04 so no matter ThumpUp BigGrin
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline Goofy  
#26 Posted : 06 March 2012 18:06:33(UTC)
Goofy

As of now TouchCab is at v1.6 beta, with an RC in the works. v2.0 is still waiting for the release of the Lenz XpressNet 23151.

With the release of the Lenz 23151 and v2.0, the CS2 will be supported. Problem is Lenz is taking their sweet time.

r/Thomas

It will soon arrive out.
The reason of sweet time is that they are creating a new version and it´s 4.0
It´s system i´m writing now.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline biswasg  
#27 Posted : 11 April 2012 14:52:30(UTC)
biswasg

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Have the latest version on both iPods and the iPad, works great on all with the old CS1 (unreloaded)...
BigGrin

I am looking for an iPad app to work wirelessly with my Marklin CS1 (60212). Do I understand from your message, that TouchCab will work without any modification, upgradation of CS1.
Thanks.

Gautam
Offline TouchCab  
#28 Posted : 11 April 2012 18:49:37(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: biswasg Go to Quoted Post

I am looking for an iPad app to work wirelessly with my Marklin CS1 (60212). Do I understand from your message, that TouchCab will work without any modification, upgradation of CS1.
Thanks.

While TouchCab is not made for the iPad, it will run on your iPad and it will connect to your 60212 via a wireless router, yes Smile
http://www.touchcab.com/support/connecting.html

Central Station 60212 from version 2.0.4 is supported.
Best regards,
Jens
---
Offline TouchCab  
#29 Posted : 31 August 2013 20:42:43(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
A quick update:

All planned features for CS2 in the full version of TouchCab are now working in the lab.
Next up is a bit of catch-up for the already supported systems, catch-up on translations, some spit and polish and then off to release.

No time frame, but progress is very good.

Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline Webmaster  
#30 Posted : 31 August 2013 21:18:10(UTC)
Webmaster

Thanks Jens, great to hear this! ThumpUp

What will be the minimum pod/pad iOS & hw requirements?
Offline TouchCab  
#31 Posted : 31 August 2013 22:35:52(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
What will be the minimum pod/pad iOS & hw requirements?

Minimum requirement is iOS 4.3, i.e. 3rd generation iPod touch or iPhone 3GS. No memory constraints.

Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline TouchCab  
#32 Posted : 11 September 2013 21:26:14(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
For the record, TouchCab v1.8 was submitted to iTunes for approval two days ago.
Any day now ...
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline TouchCab  
#33 Posted : 22 September 2013 15:20:30(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Hello all.

I've been away for a few days, and for some reason I have not been able to log on to the forum.
TouchCab 1.8 has been released on iTunes, so CS2 is now officially supported in the full version.
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline TouchCab  
#34 Posted : 08 February 2014 22:47:35(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Picking up from this thread, so I don't hijack it ...

Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
I've got the TouchCab app for my iPhone, but the throttle control on a touch screen is not the finest. If you want to throttle down to a craw, it's difficult to get that finite control. This tactile throttle on the remote will be nice.

Ahem, you knew I couldn't leave this unanswered, right?
For fine control, simply tap the upper and lower half of the speed range area to increase and decrease by one step.

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Agreed Matt, I find it is all too easy to inadvertently set the throttle to maximum on a touch screen, just by slightly bumping it. It happened once with some 1 Gauge trains, you don't want those rear ending each other! Scared

That one has been fixed. In the later versions, you can't drag to maximum speed unless you start from below half speed.
But I agree, rear-ending gauge 1 equipment is scary. Personally my worst scare when I was switching a freight train out a dead-end siding and my wife called me on the phone. Instant loss of control. Aaaah!
Scared
That event triggered a new feature, where in the options you can decide what to do with your train when the app quits.
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#35 Posted : 09 February 2014 00:37:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Jens, I wasn't referring to Touchcab specifically when making that comment. I've had that problem with RemoteCS2 and Marklin Mobile Station apps as well. I view it more as a problem with the motion sensors in the phones / ithingies being too sensitive.

But, you've made some great enhancements to Touchcab in recognition of that issue. ThumpUp

Edited by user 09 February 2014 04:25:48(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline TouchCab  
#36 Posted : 09 February 2014 02:08:26(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
They are sensitive indeed, and I've seen it numerous times myself. The beauty of software is that you can do something about it, though.
That said, I fully understand why some users prefer buttons and dials.
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline NZMarklinist  
#37 Posted : 25 February 2014 03:10:22(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi Jens,

After upgrading my Iphoine IV to the latest IOS and, being then able to fully update the Touchcab app to the latest version, I find I have pretty awful connectivity problems with Touchcab. It used to disconnect occasionally when I used a lot of commands in quick succession but now it seems to do it a lot to the point of becoming unreliable, and when you go for the stop button of course it is not there because the thing has disconnected Scared

I have damaged one new Lok (BR23 with MFX+) as a consequense but I think I can repair it OK !

Anybody else experiencing this ?

(sorry to disturb you from your Danish Coal Train build Wink )
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline TouchCab  
#38 Posted : 25 February 2014 18:10:35(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
I'm sorry for your locomotive Unsure

I know it sounds like a lame excuse from a developer, but nothing has changed in the networking code in TouchCab. Much seems to have changed in iOS, however, and iOS7 is notorious for bad WiFi. In my club we had success with changing the WiFi channel to channel 13 - the highest in the range. Others have had luck meddling with the WiFi router settings, but I have no exact info about what solved the problem for them.
Best regards,
Jens
---
Offline Webmaster  
#39 Posted : 25 February 2014 19:24:49(UTC)
Webmaster

Channel 13 is not available in all countries, I seem to remember that in the US you can only go to channel 11.
We had some big problems with some mobile units at a customer some time ago since they were equipped with US cards
and the access points were European spec... So when the AP thought 13 was the best channel, the connection was lost...

I don't know how the IOS client uses channels and how NZ regulations are, but it might be worth to see if you can set both
to a fixed channel other the "standard" channel 6 that your neighbour most likely may use - which disturbs your wifi network
with traffic congestion on the same channel.
Offline petestra  
#40 Posted : 25 February 2014 22:20:06(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Juhan, When we still had antenna TV in the USA our stations went to 13. Then

the antennae were turned off a few years ago and people who don't have cable

now have digital tv and channels go to around 132. Peter Cool
Offline TouchCab  
#41 Posted : 26 February 2014 08:33:18(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Umm ... Peter, we meant WiFi channels Wink
Best regards,
Jens
---
Offline NZMarklinist  
#42 Posted : 26 February 2014 17:44:27(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
I'm sorry for your locomotive Unsure

I know it sounds like a lame excuse from a developer, but nothing has changed in the networking code in TouchCab. Much seems to have changed in iOS, however, and iOS7 is notorious for bad WiFi. In my club we had success with changing the WiFi channel to channel 13 - the highest in the range. Others have had luck meddling with the WiFi router settings, but I have no exact info about what solved the problem for them.

Not sure how the channels can be changed but talking to a phone tecko guy tonight, he said the processors in Iphone IV might be a bit slow for IOS 7 and some of it's new Apps !? Blink
I tend to think that might be part of the problem Bored
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline Webmaster  
#43 Posted : 26 February 2014 17:45:52(UTC)
Webmaster

"57 channels and nothing on".... BigGrin
Offline Webmaster  
#44 Posted : 26 February 2014 17:54:15(UTC)
Webmaster

Glen, also check how many prestarted apps you have started on the iThingy (double click the button to see a list of them at the bottom...).
Close the ones not needed -> press & hold one of the app icons and all of them will become "shaky" and have - sign on them. press the - to close.

But the iPhone 4 gets a bit tired with iOS 7, almost like an Android phone... Wink
Offline TouchCab  
#45 Posted : 26 February 2014 18:05:34(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Not sure how the channels can be changed ...

You do it in the WiFi router, which is the master of the wireless network. Most routers are set to 'auto' out of the box, but you can force a specific WiFi channel, i.e. a specific part of the 2.4 GHz band. The higher the better is my experience.

Glen, also check how many prestarted apps you have started on the iThingy (double click the button to see a list of them at the bottom...).
Close the ones not needed -> press & hold one of the app icons and all of them will become "shaky" and have - sign on them. press the - to close.

.. or double-click the home button, so you can simply swipe away the apps you are not using, effectively closing them down.

With iOS7, Apple deviated from the old scheme for suspended apps. Until 7, all non-Apple apps in the background were definitely inactive. Now they can do stuff - even while suspended - and they can also access the network, and this may be a problem. I am usually surprised when I see how many apps are actually running.
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline xxup  
#46 Posted : 26 February 2014 20:53:14(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Check out the first item on this page. http://www.techrepublic....fe-with-these-handy-tips

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline NZMarklinist  
#47 Posted : 22 August 2014 18:33:13(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi Jens,

After upgrading my Iphoine IV to the latest IOS and, being then able to fully update the Touchcab app to the latest version, I find I have pretty awful connectivity problems with Touchcab. It used to disconnect occasionally when I used a lot of commands in quick succession but now it seems to do it a lot to the point of becoming unreliable, and when you go for the stop button of course it is not there because the thing has disconnected Scared

I have damaged one new Lok (BR23 with MFX+) as a consequense but I think I can repair it OK !

Anybody else experiencing this ?

(sorry to disturb you from your Danish Coal Train build Wink )

Hi Jens & All,

I can report that the previous instability of my TouchCab operations, since the upgrade of my IPhone IV to IOS 6, were fixed with the IOS update to 7.1 (I'm on 7.1.1) altho there is a newer version now.
My MSD upgraded 37900 V290 which caused all sorts of problems including shut down of my CS1-R and the App now behaves like it should. Smile
I tested the V290, for the first time since the IOS upgrade to 7.1 tonight (or morning as it actually is here) and I'm extremely pleased to say it seems to be running well with the App now. Extreme throttle changes and operation of turnouts with Marklin under track decoders, did not affect the app or CS as it used too, particularly with the V290 ! which responded well to every command of the TouchCab App. ThumpUp
I was beginning to think the MSD upgrade had turned my V290 which I've had from new and hardly used until it was upgraded last year, into a lemon. Sad
I will get round to a review of it in "My Trains" someday, but apart from sound it has individual Telex operation at each end, and a Double "A" shunting light function Sneaky
Glen
Auckland NZ

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline TouchCab  
#48 Posted : 22 August 2014 18:44:02(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Glen,

Thank you - good to hear that TouchCab is doing allright.

About the CS2: There is a fatal problem with TouchCab and the CS2 update 3.6.2
TouchCab will not launch with this version of CS2, but the exact cause has yet to be determined.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to issue updates for the time being, so a fix must wait until version 2, which is quite a long way away.

Jens
Best regards,
Jens
---
Offline river6109  
#49 Posted : 22 August 2014 18:44:07(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Glen, what's the respond regarding the speed escalator does it respond accurate to by increasing and decreasing in speed ? and as a no clue man how this iphone works is it managable for a person like me to operate it or is it hard to set it up ?

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline NZMarklinist  
#50 Posted : 23 August 2014 06:43:55(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Glen, what's the respond regarding the speed escalator does it respond accurate to by increasing and decreasing in speed ? and as a no clue man how this iphone works is it managable for a person like me to operate it or is it hard to set it up ?

John

Hi John,

I originally bought my IPhone IV in 2011 because I needed a new phone & the idea of a "tax deductible" Train Controller seemed appealing, having seen the promo's for Touchcab thru this forum ThumpUp . I would not now be without the IPhone and I am eagerly awaiting the new Iphone VI !

The IPhone has become a great life & business tool for me, and last year when I read on the Internet a headline "The one thing that has changed Travel forever" and I opened the article to find out they were talking about "The Smart Phone" duh ! of course I could only agree, having just returned from my trip to the "Marklin Days"
A great app I was advised about in Germany "DB Navigator" was invaluable for Rail Travel in Europe. Keeping advised on my Air Travel schedule thru an "Air NZ" app which also carried my Lufthansa Flights, was very helpful as well ! Both those apps allowed downloads of the events or travel to the in phone calendar so it didn't matter if I didn't have a free wifi connection, I still had the days schedule in my hand ! You can surf the internet and book Hotels as well but I mostly used the various hotel's free computers to do my fwd bookings, simply because of their bigger screens ! Next big trip I will have an IPad, for emails and making bookings, there is plenty of free wifi at least in Germany ThumpUp an essential addition, I believe, to the CS2 for layout Control for when I finally get one Wink

All that just a bonus of buying what I thought was a fancy phone with a Train Controller App !Wink Blushing Don't forget the Camera as well Woot

The crunch is that the throttle is not that pin point accurate, (compared to turning a knob with clicks) but is very responsive, and fine if you advance it gradually, and is great for controlling trains running on a layout and being able to walk around and view them from a different perspective, but shunting opps require careful attention, but don't they always !? I also do find it especially handy if you want to be at the point of the train connection, or disconnection, away from the CS Controller ThumpUp
I think small "lady fingers" would be an asset for fine control ! I expect this to be improved with the IPhone VI 's larger screen.

If you need a Smart phone to organise & help your life then go for one. (there will soon be all sorts of medical diagnoses Apps coming out warning of heart attacks, strokes etc apparently Scared ) Not that I am suggesting anything in your case John Smile

The control actions of the phone are also mimicked on the CS screen if you have that Loco selected there, and the opposite also applies.
One new feature I noticed last night, is that if you close the app with a train running it stops that train ! which I don't recall it doing with my earlier experiences, but probably a good safety feature and a good reason to switch the phone to "flight mode" when running trains Wink That will stop incoming calls from causing problems Scared
That said if you don't need the phone, a less expensive Ipod would be a cheaper solution, but then, if you don't need an IPod, then the Ecos hand controller might be a better solution, although more expensive !
I used to think ESU's early wireless hand controller was a supreme piece of Kit for MRR, but sadly never got around to acquiring one before they were withdrawn, and experience with one, made me keen to have Touchcab !

With either, a dedicated router, only connected to your controller is necessary and desirable, I say router only to prevent accidental connection to the internet by the Controller ! but I may be being over cautious here, but for my purposes I can take that router to train shows and use it with other CS1's seamlessly, (and I assume Ecos and CS2's) the only thing that has to be done is changing the other CS's IP address to that of the router !

John I hope you can form an idea for your self from all this, the IPhone is very intuitive and seeing I have never even read the instruction book for it, I'm sure you could use one happily. It is fairly essential to open an ITunes a/c to keep abreast of updates, and it is were you get the Touchcab app from. ITunes works fine with any Windows PC Cool
Glen
Auckland NZ