Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bindermuehle  
#1 Posted : 24 December 2010 16:41:45(UTC)
bindermuehle

Hi all,

Many of my trains don't have icons. Is it possible to add one's own icons?

Cheers

- Balt
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bindermuehle
Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 24 December 2010 19:37:24(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
bindermuehle wrote:
Hi all,

Many of my trains don't have icons. Is it possible to add one's own icons?

Cheers

- Balt

You mean functions such as smoke, sounds, etc?

Edit the loco and add the function icons.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 24 December 2010 21:32:36(UTC)
H0

Hi, Balt,

I'm not sure what you're asking for.

You can add your own loco thumbnail pictures. Or select a picture from the pre-installed list.

You can select symbols for the function keys from a pre-defined list, but AFAIK you cannot add own images.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline bindermuehle  
#4 Posted : 24 December 2010 21:49:56(UTC)
bindermuehle

Hi,

thanks for your quick responses! I was looking to add the thumbnails. I have a Swiss Ae620 which has no thumbnail, and neither does the new TGV POS. I don't seem to understand how I can put my own thumbnail pictures onto the CS2. Is there a an exported Samba share maybe? Or can I SSH/SCP it onto the box? The memory stick way of doing it doesn't seem to work for me (can it read a FAT-32 formatted 8GB stick?).

Cheers

- Balt
Offline Webmaster  
#5 Posted : 24 December 2010 22:32:16(UTC)
Webmaster

The pics have to be in .png format, as I understand.

Maybe these old topics can help you...

https://www.marklin-user...aspx?g=posts&t=13108

https://www.marklin-user...aspx?g=posts&t=11182
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 24 December 2010 23:11:13(UTC)
H0

Many images (including Ae 6/6 and TGV POS) and instructions can be found here:
http://www.stayathome.ch/Lokbilder.htm

The google translation:
http://translate.google....=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

Pictures must be in a folder named icons on the stick.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 27 December 2010 12:35:51(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
H0 wrote:
Many images (including Ae 6/6 and TGV POS) and instructions can be found here:

The google translation:
http://translate.google....=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

I tried it but no sign.ThumbDown
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 31 December 2010 18:35:29(UTC)
H0

steventrain wrote:
I tried it but no sign.ThumbDown

I tried it successfully today.

UserPostedImage

Things that can go wrong:
- CS2 is based on Linux and file system is case-sensitive (folder "icons" works, "Icons" or "ICONS" probably won't work)
- don't copy the ZIP file to the memory stick (Windows calls it "compressed folder" but it's a ZIP file, not a folder)
- I had no files in the root folder of my memory stick (but there were other folders that didn't disturb)

If you download the file ICONS.ZIP from Rainer Lüssi: extract the files from this ZIP file (a. k. a. "compressed folder"). Copy the images you need to the "icons" folder located immediately in the root folder of the memory stick.

If you create images of your own: I wasted hours just to find that my Photoshop is too old to create PNG files with transparency. I downloaded GIMP and it worked for me.
Image files with the extension ".PNG" on the memory stick will be ignored. The name must end with ".png".
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 05 September 2014 14:46:03(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
With new version 3.7.0 there is a new way to upload loco icons to the CS2 from USB memory.

1. Copy loco icons to a folder named "cs2/import/icons " (actually these are three nested folders).

2. Go to Setup and select Update from Internet. Do not select Update from USB Stick!

3. Update should find something new for "Import (V evergreen)". [Edit: you have to scroll down the list to find this entry.] Click on "Weiter" to actually import images.

4. When CS2 tells it's done, don't believe that. Restart the CS2 and your really done.

BTW: You can also upload own desktop background images now.
They have to be in the folder "cs2/import/motive".
Use PNG in size 800x480 with 256 colours for full screen backgrounds - smaller images will be tiled.

Edited by user 07 September 2014 10:56:17(UTC)  | Reason: ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺

H0 attached the following image(s):
001_custom_background.png
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Drongo  
#10 Posted : 06 September 2014 06:34:18(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
With new version 3.7.0 there is a new way to upload loco icons to the CS2 from USB memory.

1. Copy loco icons to a folder named "cs2/import/icons " (actually these are three nested folders).

2. Go to Setup and select Update from Internet. Do not select Update from USB Stick!

3. Update should find something new for "Import (V evergreen)". Click on "Weiter" to actually import images.

4. When CS2 tells it's done, don't believe that. Restart the CS2 and your really done.

BTW: You can also upload own desktop background images now.
They have to be in the folder "cs2/import/motive".
Use PNG in size 800x480 with 256 colours for full screen backgrounds - smaller images will be tiled.

Hi Tom,

I tried this without success - it automatically searches the internet for the update. Do I need to disconnect the internet so that it defaults to the USB?

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 06 September 2014 08:20:33(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post
I tried this without success
It worked for me (and others). I didn't disconnect from the Internet.
You should see "Import (V evergreen)" in green. It is listed as an Internet update, but it reads from the USB stick. They call it Evergreen because it never expires.

There are the usual guidelines:
  • Memory stick must be in a format the CS2 can read (it seems that FAT32 works with sticks up to 8 GB - never saw any documentation from Mother M*)
  • Folder names are case-sensitive (do not use upper case)
  • Image files must not be too large (AFAIK 300 kB for wallpapers - should be no problem with 256 colours)
  • Other files on the USB stick may disturb
  • Push the USB stick in all the way
  • Wait a few seconds after pushing it in

I don't know what else could go wrong.
And don't forget to re-boot. New background images won't show without a re-boot.

To upload loco icons, you can still use the web UI of the CS2 as before (don't forget the re-boot when all loco icons have been uploaded).
For wallpapers you have to use USB memory.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Drongo  
#12 Posted : 07 September 2014 09:54:13(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Tom,

I finally worked out how to do it. Tom, you must remember I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. You left out a very small step which "drongoes" like me, need to be told. After you click on update (internet) on the left side of the screen you need to scroll down to "import (V evergreen).

Thanks Tom for the help. BTW "Drongo" in Australian slang means a not too clever person.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
H0
Offline Armando  
#13 Posted : 15 September 2014 04:09:04(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Tom,

I am going to attempt these steps for the first time in order to input icons with the new version.

Question: If you are uploading from a USB, why does the CS2 need to be connected to the internet?

Thanks for enlightening me!
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 15 September 2014 07:47:42(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post
If you are uploading from a USB, why does the CS2 need to be connected to the internet?
Herr Hemmerich wrote on another forum that you need the Internet connection to upload icons. I never tried without Internet connection. For me it worked while I had Internet connection.

In general I find the CS2 UI complicated and counter-intuitive. So the icon upload fits the pattern: select Internet update to load icons from USB.
Don't ask me why. Ask Märklin why.

Herr Hemmerich also wrote that this icon upload mechanism is just temporary. Temporary solutions sometimes stay for years ...
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Armando  
#15 Posted : 18 September 2014 04:51:04(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hi all,

Does anyone have an icon for the following:

Märklin 3734 Re 4/4 II (11162)
Märklin 37081, BR 10, (blue version)

Thanks!
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline waorb  
#16 Posted : 18 September 2014 19:49:15(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Hello Armando.

StayAtHome had at least the 37081.

But had also some Re 4/4... (one called Re 4/4 II rot)... Just pick one. RollEyes

Cheers,

Walter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waorb
Offline arcanjo  
#17 Posted : 08 November 2014 02:56:51(UTC)
arcanjo

Portugal   
Hi all!

Can anyone send me, or help me getting a CS2 compatible icon for my BB 12000 from SNCF (green version)?

Thanks!

Regards
Miguel
Offline sjlauritsen  
#18 Posted : 08 November 2014 07:58:30(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: arcanjo Go to Quoted Post
Can anyone send me, or help me getting a CS2 compatible icon for my BB 12000 from SNCF (green version)?

I was unsure which ones you had, but I made these two for you:

Märklin 37330:
Märklin 37330

Märklin 37332:
Märklin 37332

Edited by user 09 November 2014 10:16:35(UTC)  | Reason: Enhanced the icons a bit

Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline arcanjo  
#19 Posted : 08 November 2014 23:40:51(UTC)
arcanjo

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post

I was unsure which ones you had, but I made these two for you:

Märklin 37330:
Märklin 37330

Märklin 37332:
Märklin 37332

hi there!!

Thank you Lauritsen! In fact i have the latest one from Marklin, but the first one will do just fine!
Thanks once more!

Regards!

Miguel
Offline sjlauritsen  
#20 Posted : 09 November 2014 10:18:37(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Thank you Lauritsen! In fact i have the latest one from Marklin, but the first one will do just fine!

For you my friend! Smile

Märklin 37335:
Märklin 37335

Märklin 37337:
Märklin 37337

I also enhanced the previous icons, so they look better on the CS2.
Søren from Denmark
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline Alsterstreek  
#21 Posted : 03 June 2015 14:44:50(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Following post # 9 ff. I do not manage uploading homemade loco icons.

Having a CS2 60215, HW 5.1, SW 3.7.0 (7), I tried this with my MacBook without success. CS2 connected via Ethernet cable, CS2 was ready (green and yellow LED at Ethernet cable connection are on). I used an "empty" USB stick (2GB capacity). I created the nested folders "cs2/import/icons" on the stick, loaded small loco icons in png format (4KB each). I went to CS2 setup and selected Update from Internet (thus not update from USB Stick).

Only result was an "endless" repetitive error message in the field "info":

/usr/bin/dbclient: exited: Error resolving: Temporary Failure in name resolutionrsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(453) [receiver=2.6.9]

I tried this without success several times with two different USB sticks, (re-)booting with and without USB stick in the CS2.

End of story.

;o(
Offline Modelleisenbahnfan  
#22 Posted : 03 June 2015 15:22:40(UTC)
Modelleisenbahnfan

Germany   
Hi,

why do you all setting the icons in the CS2 with an USB-Stick?
If I want to set Icons in my CS2, i connect it to my computer (with LAN) and go with FireFox into the Webspace of the CS2. Then I upload the Icons from my hard disk. This is really easy.
My Icons are always PNG, have less than 6GB and are max. 128x48 pixels.

kind regards

Robert
Märklin, what else?
Offline H0  
#23 Posted : 03 June 2015 16:14:51(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Only result was an "endless" repetitive error message in the field "info":

/usr/bin/dbclient: exited: Error resolving: Temporary Failure in name resolutionrsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(453) [receiver=2.6.9]
Before installing loco icons from the stick, the CS2 will query a list of updates from the Märklin web server. If server or connection is not available there will be no list and icons won't be installed.

Uploading images one by one from Firefox, as Robert suggested, is an alternative. Don't forget to restart the CS2 after uploading all loco icons.
IIRC this does not work with Internet Exploder. I don't remember if I ever tested Chrome.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline witzlerh  
#24 Posted : 03 June 2015 17:43:25(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I have up and downloaded icons on CS2 using Chrome with no issue. (had to download icons so that the CS2 program would have the same icons...)
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline Alsterstreek  
#25 Posted : 03 June 2015 20:07:46(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Modelleisenbahnfan Go to Quoted Post

If I want to set Icons in my CS2, i connect it to my computer (with LAN) and go with FireFox into the Webspace of the CS2.

Thanks Robert,

I tried that - enter CS2 IP address in FireFox on Mac connected to the Internet via wireless LAN etc - before my last post, but I did not manage to access the CS2 that way.
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 03 June 2015 20:13:49(UTC)
H0

I tried that - enter IP address given by CS2 in FireFox etc - before my last post, but I did not manage to access the CS2 that way.
Maybe that indicates a problem between CS2 and your network.

Check IP addresses, subnet masks, and cables.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Modelleisenbahnfan  
#27 Posted : 03 June 2015 20:17:45(UTC)
Modelleisenbahnfan

Germany   
Hi Ak,

sometimes, I have to try several times. Perhaps, the connection between your Mac and the CS2 wasn't finished?
Have you used the IP for Mac? I think, there is an extra IP for Mac, isn't it?

kind regards

Robert
Märklin, what else?
Offline sjlauritsen  
#28 Posted : 03 June 2015 20:28:24(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Uploading images one by one from Firefox, as Robert suggested, is an alternative. Don't forget to restart the CS2 after uploading all loco icons.
IIRC this does not work with Internet Exploder. I don't remember if I ever tested Chrome.

Actually, it works fine with Internet Explorer (at least from version 3.8.1 (11)). I use it all the time.

"You do not need to restart the CS2 after uploading icons (again, at least from version 3.8.1 (11))."
Update: Yes you do! You do not need to restart the PC-version though. Smile

I've written a guide some time ago:
http://railway.zone/post...to-the-central-station-2
Søren from Denmark
Offline Alsterstreek  
#29 Posted : 03 June 2015 21:00:30(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I tried it on both, PC and Mac notebooks to no avail. The Ethernet cable is working with other hardware. When the former is connected to the CS2, the green LED is on all the time, and the yellow LED is blinking from time to time. Here is a screenshot of the CS2 IP address (which I used in the browser in order to connect to the CS2) etc. Does this give a clue?scs.png
Offline H0  
#30 Posted : 03 June 2015 21:07:22(UTC)
H0

which I used in the browser in order to connect to the CS2
This will work only if your PC also has an address like 169.254.x.y and a netmask of 255.255.0.0.

Most likely this address did not come from your DHCP server (if you have any).
Click "DHCP" on the CS2 screen and see if you get a different address.
Or maybe restart the CS2.
Was the network cable plugged in when you started the CS2?

Which address and netmask do you have on your computer?
If DHCP fails you can configure the CS2 "manually".
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Alsterstreek  
#31 Posted : 06 June 2015 10:55:10(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Thanks Tom, but I believe I am a hopeless case.
Click "DHCP" on the CS2 screen and see if you get a different address.

Result after some time: "blank" fields
Or maybe restart the CS2. Was the network cable plugged in when you started the CS2?

First IT helpdesk question: Did you reboot? ;o)
Yes, very often, in all variations (PC/CS2/with(out) cables attached etc).
Which address and netmask do you have on your computer?
PM sent.
If DHCP fails you can configure the CS2 "manually".
Yes, tried that.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#32 Posted : 29 August 2015 00:07:26(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Still no progress. Therefore, I returned the CS2 to the M* dealer for inspection.
Offline grnwtrs  
#33 Posted : 15 November 2015 22:12:09(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Still no progress. Therefore, I returned the CS2 to the M* dealer for inspection.

I was thinking of getting a CS2. But since I haven' t heard that you got yours back yet,
what is the point in

It seem like that only ups the ante of problems. I will stick with the MS2 units for now.

Again, I will wait, or go for the EU unit,

Regards,

gene
Offline Best Ripper  
#34 Posted : 18 November 2015 21:10:45(UTC)
Best Ripper

Bulgaria   
Hi everybody. I'm new member and I bought my first CS2 2 weeks ago. I understood how to add new icons, even made and add some my owns. All are according to requirements for icons, all uploads were right. But I can't give an icon for M.U. set loco - Multi Set. I have two Swiss locos Re 4/4 & Re 6/6 SBB Cargo - red and blue Marklin made. I wish to make the emblematic set Re 10/10. There was no any problem in adding two locos in the set, even when I give name "Re 10-10" I see my uploaded icon for this at the end of line /the name of icon is the same/. But after adding the M.S. in Control window, the icon is from the first loco in the set. When I click the button for settings, it switches to new window for add/remove locos in the set but no possibility to reach the list with icons as it is for one simple loco. Unfortunally only german manual/help/menu is up to date and my german is very weak. I don't know how it worked in previous versions of SW - I downloaded all icons from Lokbilder, there are icons for Swiss sets of 2 locos, even I watched video 1-2 years ago just for adding icons for sets. But as I understood M* changed some features in SW and no reason for searching it. My CS2 is 60215, HW 5.1, SW updated to 4.0.1 (3). Please help me to solve the problem. Or may be this is a bug in SW after 3.7.1?

Regards & cheers.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Best Ripper
Offline clapcott  
#35 Posted : 19 November 2015 03:49:56(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Best Ripper Go to Quoted Post
.... There was no any problem in adding two locos in the set, even when I give name "Re 10-10" I see my uploaded icon for this at the end of line /the name of icon is the same/....

You may be confusing this "prompt" icon next to the "locomotive name" field for the actual icon.

Once you have typed in the name (where you see the image first) and save (green checkmark), you MAY STILL need to select the ICON

Peter
Offline Best Ripper  
#36 Posted : 19 November 2015 21:49:36(UTC)
Best Ripper

Bulgaria   
I'm sure you have written something you didn't realize. There is NO BUTTON for select icon in M.U.Set!!! Have you indeed CS2 and did you try my situation practically?

When I add the set the screen is this:
screenshot1.png

After press the Setting button (wrench) the screen is:
screenshot2.png

So where is the button for icons???
Offline Alsterstreek  
#37 Posted : 11 February 2019 21:59:24(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: grnwtrs Go to Quoted Post
I was thinking of getting a CS2. But since I haven' t heard that you got yours back yet,...

Ooops, I received it immediately back. Sorry for not reporting earlier. Anyway, I could not and cannot get the WLAN connection working. When I tried the USB option I got stuck, too: The CS2 did not recognize the USB stick.

Fast forward to 2019: Today, I had my epiphany when educating myself in the context of the latest CS2 update: The USB stick storage capacity must not be bigger than 8GB. Deep down in a composing drawer I found an old 250 MB memory stick, but again, the CS2 refused to cooperate. Finally, a Stummiforum post led me on the right path: After formatting the USB stick to FAT32 on my Mac, the CS2 recognized the USB stick, and I could upload the latest CS2 update. The CS2 upload is still running while I am writing these lines, but I am confident that I will manage to upload loco icons, too.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#38 Posted : 11 February 2019 23:32:23(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Done. Icons uploaded to CS2 via USB. I made it.
Offline Harvey  
#39 Posted : 16 February 2019 03:46:07(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Regarding IP address in CS2. I recently (days ago) had to connect my cs2 to my laptop and was coached by my son. I connected a cable to the modem and looked for the cs2 ip address. I saw some like that in post 29 (169......). My son commented that it likely has changed as I could not connect. I existed Setup and the returned and saw something like 10.0...... That address worked. I repeated this process several times over the next few days and this change in address occurred every time.

Harvey
Offline H0  
#40 Posted : 16 February 2019 09:39:41(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Harvey Go to Quoted Post
I existed Setup and the returned and saw something like 10.0...
If the CS2 is in DHCP mode, but gets no reply from a DHCP server, then it'll use an address like 169.254.x.y.
If it gets a reply from a DHCP server then it'll use the address assigned by the DHCP server. Typically this will be 192.168.x.y, but 10.x.y.z is also reserved for private networks.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage