Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sudibarba  
#1 Posted : 22 September 2010 04:36:52(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Well, after over a year (I don't remember exactly when I preordered), I got my 2009 new item Kittle. It runs very smooth but despite the fact that it has an MFX decoder the driving lights are the only function. I ended up paying about $288 for it. I don't remember the preorder price but there are dealers that offer it for about $245 but that's no big deal as my dealer(Scott) gives me great service and is usually a little higher than some. But his help offsets the higher price so I am happy with him.
What I am not happy with is the sticker shock I got with this item. Maybe I am having a bad day, but this amount of money for a small plastic railcar (highly detailed though) strikes me the wrong way. Frankly, I can think of better ways to spend $300 or so.

Anyway, perhaps the unit will grow on me. I doubt it. I would much perfer to buy a nice old metal lok for $80 to $140 on eBay and throw in a magnet and ESU decoder.
Eric
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 22 September 2010 11:05:32(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
sudibarba wrote:
Well, after over a year (I don't remember exactly when I preordered), I got my 2009 new item Kittle. It runs very smooth but despite the fact that it has an MFX decoder the driving lights are the only function. I ended up paying about $288 for it. I don't remember the preorder price but there are dealers that offer it for about $245 but that's no big deal as my dealer(Scott) gives me great service and is usually a little higher than some. But his help offsets the higher price so I am happy with him.
What I am not happy with is the sticker shock I got with this item. Maybe I am having a bad day, but this amount of money for a small plastic railcar (highly detailed though) strikes me the wrong way. Frankly, I can think of better ways to spend $300 or so.

Anyway, perhaps the unit will grow on me. I doubt it. I would much perfer to buy a nice old metal lok for $80 to $140 on eBay and throw in a magnet and ESU decoder.
Eric

Hi Eric,

I have the Era III version of your Kittel. It is a lovely model, and none of the many old metal locos I have come anywhere near in terms of detail and character. Compare it with a 3016 for example, and the old railbus really doesn't do very well!

I think you may have paid too much for yours, and that is affecting your appreciation of a fine model. I can't remember exactly how much I paid for my 37253, but it wasn't much more than the equivalent of $210 - $220.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline sudibarba  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2010 05:19:22(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Hi Ray,
I didn't look too hard as I had ordered this lok so long ago I thought it was never going to come. But what I saw at AJCkids (spelling?) was the $245. They are usually very competitive in the USA. I think that's too much for this item. Highly detailed, but all plastic and not very exciting. A mater of personal taste I guess. Not sure why they put an MFX decoder in it. It runs very slow prototypical speed as it should so more speed steps don't seem to mater for me. At least, they could have put interior lighting in it. It reminds me of my ROCO stuff - all plastic small parts that I am always finding or wondering when they will fall off.
I wouldn't trade one of my 3048's for this despite the detailing. I am much happier with the value of the Ludmillas or some of the other hobby metal loks. The new 3021 on order for $138 euro from lok shop is an example. I hope they get it for me as I guess there has to be another production run.
Anyway, the Kittle is very nice but to my taste over priced. Of course,
I needed one for my collection so I should shut up I guess.

Eric

Offline Dreadnought  
#4 Posted : 23 September 2010 06:50:08(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Hello Eric,

I paid the same for mine. I had a credit with a dealer I wanted to use up. That said it is a wonderful model. I never tire of watching the tiny rods moving. I agree with Ray, on the detail, and its smooth running. I have noticed it does not like to take switches "backwards", when thay are not set got its direction of travel. It shorts out the CS 2. I got two 4324 red branch line coaches to go with it. They look great, kind of the DB version og Thomas, Annie, and Clarabelle.