Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Marty  
#1 Posted : 06 September 2010 02:47:26(UTC)
Marty

United States   
I installed a second pickup shoe on my E40 (39140) to improve its running over dirty track. Here are the three steps I took to do this:

1) Tap threads into existing hole in bogie.

2) Fabricate a pickup shoe contact plate for bogie frame.

3) Run additional red wire to PCB.

First of all, some threads need to be created for the pickup shoe fastener. I used the same thread size as the existing pickup shoe uses, which is a 2mm thread: M2 x 0.4. You will need both a starting tap, as well as a bottoming tap to create threads the entire depth of the hole. Also, a racheting tap handle is a big help, because you won't have to loosen your grip on the handle while tapping. Although the "right" way to put these threads into the bogie would be to remove the bogie from the locomotive frame and put it in a vise, I took a shortcut, and did it with the bogie in place. I didn't want to remove the PCB and disconnect the drive shaft, potentially creating other problems... .

To to cut the threads with the bogie in place means you will somehow have to ensure that none of the metal chips created drop into the gearbox. At first I was just going to tape off the gearbox, but I found the tape didn't stick everywhere. Even a small crack in the tape is enough for a small sliver of metal to fall into the gearbox.

UserPostedImage

Instead, I used a product sold in toy stores here in the USA called "Silly Putty". It is very soft and pliable, but is easily removed from metal surfaces. It seems to have a silicone grease-like feel, but doesn't leave a residue.

UserPostedImage

I gently pressed the putty over the opening of the gearbox, making sure all openings were covered, and then proceeded to tap the threads.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Once the threads were finished and the hole thoroughly cleaned of metal chips, and the threads tested with a fastener, I carefully peeled away the putty. I had no problem removing the putty, or any residual putty left on the gears, but I recommend you carefully check before moving on.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The next step is to fabricate a contact plate for the pickup shoe. I was lazy, and just used a piece of strip brass stock about the same size as the slots on the bogie frame. This is not as wide as the contact plate that Märklin supplies, but it is sufficient when using a long pickup shoe (which is the shoe the locomotive is supplied with). I can always go back and sculpt a piece of brass stock to fit precisely in the square recess, or order the exact part from Märklin.

You want to make sure the contact plate fits perfectly through the slots in the plastic bogie frame before soldering on the red wire. And, obviously, you want to solder on the wire before you slip the contact plate through the bogie frame; you don't want to melt the bogie frame!

After you've bent the contact plate tabs over the bogie frame, check to make sure the wire and soldered joint doesn't create a short circuit by touching the metal bogie. I didn't have a problem with this, and the cavity in the bogie seems large enough, but double-check anyways.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Next is running the red wire through the existing hole in the bogie and up to the PCB. Because the plastic bogie frames will be essentially tethered to the PCB, I left a generous length. The extra length will let you pull the plastic bogie frame fully away from the bogie when you want to lubricate and clean the gears. The green shrink tubing you see is just used to bundle the extra cable.

To hook up the new red wire you now have a choice: You can splice into the red wire serving the front bogie, and not have to touch the PCB with your soldering iron. Or, you can unsolder the front bogie wire from the PCB, and solder it your new wire from the rear bogie. Then, add an additional length of wire to the PCB. This is the choice I made. It gives me a little more wire to the front bogie - I found the existing length to be a little short for my taste.

UserPostedImage

I have found a second pickup shoe to be a big improvement in running characteristics. Especially for slow-speed running; my locomotive has not stalled since. ThumpUp

A final bit of advice: If you do not have any experience tapping (threading) holes, I would advise against doing this. A 2mm thread is very small, and it is easy to cross-thread the hole, or break the tap itself, if you don't know what you're doing. I would otherwise recommend you remove the bogie from the locomotive and take it to an experienced professional. A third option would be to order a replacement threaded bogie from Märklin.

Marty
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 06 September 2010 12:46:03(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Marty,

Interesting job, and well done.

I have a new 39110 and use all C track with a digital controller CS1, so I'm lucky, it runs flawlessly. I am at an age where I no longer want to interfere with these top models, and have given up on modifying cheaper ones. No fun any more.

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 07 September 2010 03:42:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 06 September 2010 13:28:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Marty,

I'm not completely convinced what you are trying to do ?

When you talk about dirty tracks, it is usually refered to as the outer tracks.
When you talk about the midlle contact, it does'nt get dirty but could oxidise and a nailfail or fine wet & dry sandpaper does the job.
In my years since I've been involved with Märklin locos I have never heard or exoperienced your saga regfarding this particular pickup shoe.
The BR 44 has 2 pickup shoes which are relatively shorter in lenght.

A bad contact is, as you've described it, from dirty tracks, inferior contact between bogy & chassy or lack of ground wire and with older locos dirty wheels.
To overcome these problems, a pickup shoe will do nothing to improve it.

to solve your problem, which is a new loco, have a look at the contact between bogy and chassy, have a look at the 2 axles of the bogy.
Get a multimeter and test the contacts and this will give you a 100 % proof what is going on regarding "bad contact".

It could be your brushes not being pushed in correctly or the tension spring is loose.
check all your wire contacts.

John

Edited by user 08 September 2010 12:10:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline DasBert33  
#4 Posted : 06 September 2010 14:59:42(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Another way to improve slow running is to install a big capacitor. I had to do it in my 39441 E44. Marklin is uses way too little capacitance on their newer decoders, making them very prone to 'bad contact'. When DCC railcom is turned on they continuously 'stutter'.

I think a capacitor would have the same effect, but would also help with railcom, and generate less slider-noise.

Bert

Offline Marty  
#5 Posted : 06 September 2010 19:58:29(UTC)
Marty

United States   
Hi John,
The Soft Drive Sine motor as implemented in the E10/E40 has very little inertia. It is a small motor turning two driveshafts with worm gears. At slow speeds it seems the slightest interruption to the current will cause the locomotive to stutter or stop altogether. After cleaning my rails and the wheels of the locomotive, I would still notice the problem. I determined that it was the k-track pukos that must be slightly oxidized; I live within 1.5 miles of the ocean, so the climate here I'm sure is to blame. Also, I don't run my trains every day, so there is a lack of cleaning that the pickup shoes naturally provide. No other locomotive I have seems to be so sensitive to this, and I believe this is because all of the other loks I have will coast a bit if power is lost. I got into a routine of burnishing the pukos at every location the locomotive stuttered or stopped, but I got tired of that and installed a second pickup shoe instead. Problem solved.Smile
Marty
Offline Marty  
#6 Posted : 06 September 2010 20:02:11(UTC)
Marty

United States   
Bert,
I looked into installing a capacitor, but I don't think my soldering skills are good enought for the PCB... But I agree, this may be a simpler alternative.
Marty
Offline Marty  
#7 Posted : 06 September 2010 20:06:06(UTC)
Marty

United States   
Kimball,
I can understand your feelings completely; I'm not too thrilled modifying expensive locomotives either, but I want something that performs to my expectations. I sometimes feel that it is Märklin's job to do this, not mine, but that's the way it goes...
Marty
Offline trainbuff  
#8 Posted : 06 September 2010 20:32:41(UTC)
trainbuff

DasBert33 wrote:
Another way to improve slow running is to install a big capacitor. I had to do it in my 39441 E44. Marklin is uses way too little capacitance on their newer decoders, making them very prone to 'bad contact'. When DCC railcom is turned on they continuously 'stutter'.

I think a capacitor would have the same effect, but would also help with railcom, and generate less slider-noise.

Bert

Would you put the capacitor on the wire leading from the pickup shoe (between pickup shoe and decoder)? What would be some capacitance values you would suggest? -Thanks
Offline trainbuff  
#9 Posted : 06 September 2010 20:42:46(UTC)
trainbuff

Marty - Nice pictures and interesting solution. Since you recommend against tapping a hole, another option may be to form threads with epoxy. It worked to add a pick up on a E44 I converted to three rail. -thanks.
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 06 September 2010 21:22:15(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
This looks like an interesting, but questionable operation. I would recommend that anybody having similar problems first check their slider to make sure it is making proper contact. If the slider is worn or misaligned, this can cause contact problems. It is also possible that there may be problems with the wiring between the slider and the PCB. In any case, a replacement slider is cheaper than attempting to do complicated modifications that require advanced skills.
As far as adding a second slider, I recommend against it, especially for loks equipped with digital decoders. The reason for this is that if you have multiple circuits (analog or digital) on the layout, this could result in the lok receiving current from two transformers at the same time, which could damage the PCB and the decoder. Entering into a stop (dead) section (ie signal, storage track), the second slider will conduct power into that section, which could cause other loks in that section to move.
The decoder included with this model has adjustable settings for acceleration/deceleration and can be adjusted to improve performance in slow operation. I would recommend that you try to adjust these settings before considering the second slider option. Some of the decoder settings can also be altered for analog operation.
In the USA, if you want assistance with issues like the one that prompted Marty to modify his lok, contact Tom Catherall tom@marklin.com (may have been superceded by new Walthers.com address) In Germany, contact service@maerklin.de as the technikfragen(at)maerklin.de address may not be active any more.

Regards

Mike C
Offline GSRR  
#11 Posted : 06 September 2010 23:46:09(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Marty,

really interesting "fix", I like the silly putty touch. I'm guessing but you are still running a single transformer with analog correct? As Mike C mentions, for someone with multiple power districts and boosters having this double slider setup would not be a good idea I think.

Looking forward to your next project, you've done some interesting stuff. BigGrin

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline applor  
#12 Posted : 07 September 2010 02:45:20(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I spoke to Marty prior to him doing this conversion.

I purchased the E10 and fixed the running issues by installing a capacitor, as some have done for the new E44.

I sent photos on how to install a 330uf cap into the 39110/39140 but he wanted to install a 2nd pickup shoe anyways.

Note that installing a capacitor does fix the problem, so there are 2 options for you to go with!

I had planned to create a thread on how to do the cap install but unfortunately my web hosting was removed so I have nowhere to upload the photos to.

Once I get this sorted I can upload the photos so you can all see how its done, otherwise contact me through the forums and I can e-mail you the pictures.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline GSRR  
#13 Posted : 07 September 2010 03:02:59(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
applor wrote:
I spoke to Marty prior to him doing this conversion.

I purchased the E10 and fixed the running issues by installing a capacitor, as some have done for the new E44.

I sent photos on how to install a 330uf cap into the 39110/39140 but he wanted to install a 2nd pickup shoe anyways.

Note that installing a capacitor does fix the problem, so there are 2 options for you to go with!

I had planned to create a thread on how to do the cap install but unfortunately my web hosting was removed so I have nowhere to upload the photos to.

Once I get this sorted I can upload the photos so you can all see how its done, otherwise contact me through the forums and I can e-mail you the pictures.

Sorry for the OT post.

Eric,

I use http://tinypic.com/ as this site automatically creates url's for inserting on the forum. You can also try www.smugmug.com which uses Amazons server network, Google's http://picasaweb.google.com/home also flickr at www.yahoo.com and others.

Back on topic, once you have that sorted please post the new thread.

Regards,

Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline kimballthurlow  
#14 Posted : 07 September 2010 03:44:18(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Marty,

In my original reply I forgot to mention that I use 39110 with a digital controller CS1. That would make all the difference to its running characteristics, compared to analogue, regardless of type of track used.

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Marty  
#15 Posted : 07 September 2010 07:29:46(UTC)
Marty

United States   
Mike: You bring up some valid points that I should have mentioned; yes that could be a problem with multiple circuits, or upon entering a stop section. My layout doesn't have either configuration, so for me that's no problem. My problem seems to be oxidation of the pukos due to my proximity to the ocean. So adding a redundant pickup shoe for me makes sense, and it is within my skill set. I finished the task in an afternoon. Also, I haven't fundamentally changed anything about the locomotive or decoder. I can simply unscrew the second pickup shoe, and I'm back to the original setup. I thought about installing a capacitor, and talked with Eric about this, but I thought installing a second pickup shoe would be within my skills; whereas installing a capacitor and soldering multiple connections to the PCB may be more risky for me.

I don't want to give anyone the impression that my modification is right for everyone and all situations; I just wanted to share what I did.

Thomas: Yes, I'm just running a single analog circuit. My layout doesn't do alot, but what is does do, it does it well.BigGrin
Marty
Offline applor  
#16 Posted : 07 September 2010 15:10:38(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Quote:
In my original reply I forgot to mention that I use 39110 with a digital controller CS1. That would make all the difference to its running characteristics, compared to analogue, regardless of type of track used.

I am running a CS2 with all new C track and I had the same problem as Marty.
Having said that, maybe a solid 10 minute run in time may have improved things but given that people were having the same problem with the E44 it seemed doing the cap install would need to be done.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline efel  
#17 Posted : 07 September 2010 19:26:06(UTC)
efel

France   
Marty wrote:

I don't want to give anyone the impression that my modification is right for everyone and all situations; I just wanted to share what I did.

You are perfectly right, thank you.
I myself added a shoe to the tender of a br18.4 with locksound decoder, and alzheimer behavior vanished.
I must say that modification was quite easy (just some bakelit and glue).
I have also tested the addition of a memory cap to the ls decoder.
Both solutions work well.

fred

Offline DasBert33  
#18 Posted : 07 September 2010 21:21:19(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Here is a topic about my E44 with a capacitor installed.

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=15884

As you can see the soldering is quite easy, and probably not more difficult than soldering the wire for the pickup shoe. No need for glueing or drilling in/on plastic parts.

Quote:
Would you put the capacitor on the wire leading from the pickup shoe?

NO !!!

It has to be soldered to the DC voltage connection behind the diode rectifier on the decoder. On the pictures of my E44 you can see which pins of the 21 pin connector need to be used. As you can see I solderen on a gold connector of some sort. I assume the same connector pins are available in other locos.

As for values, the biggest one you can fit in the loco (there is not so much space). BigGrin I used 330uF/25V. Mind the voltage rating of the capacitor: for digital only operation 25V might be enough, for analog operation use 35V.

Bert
Offline Goofy  
#19 Posted : 07 September 2010 21:27:29(UTC)
Goofy

Two pickup shoe makes sure disturb,if you are using for an exemple Marklins brake module!
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline river6109  
#20 Posted : 08 September 2010 12:16:56(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Marty,

I'm having the same problem constantly with my middle contacts if I don't drive my locos for a a week or so, especially in winter time.
I've constructed a type of pickupshoe with a very fine diamond sandpaper.
I've soldered a screw onto the other side and this enables me to slide the slider along the middle contact.

In tunnels a use a second one and this is attached to a ruler.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Marty  
#21 Posted : 08 September 2010 20:49:17(UTC)
Marty

United States   
Thanks, John. Is this just a K-track problem, or does this affect m- and c-track as well? The K-track pukos are much wider than the m- or c-track's, and the pickup shoe would therefore exert slightly less pressure on the pukos because of the greater surface area. I seem to remember a thread awhile back about a rotating abrasive drum that was mounted to freight car, and could be pulled along to clean the pukos.
Marty
Offline DasBert33  
#22 Posted : 09 September 2010 00:09:32(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Just my opinion:

I would never use any type of sandpaper to clean tracks (anymore). I destroyed a whole collection of old M track by sanding the rails and pukos to much. The metal has a protective coating (also the metal from C track pukos), if you sand it off the tracks will get dirty or rust a lot more quickly. The sanding makes tiny grooves that collect dirt easily.

I clean my tracks using a simple degreasing/cleaning product and a cloth, that works well too, and it doesnt damage the tracks. Smoke oil works well too! (SR24)

Bert