Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<345
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline petestra  
#401 Posted : 05 December 2013 21:33:16(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Rinus, that's awful. I wonder what would happen if you sent them back to Märklin

with a letter reading "thanks for nothing"? Maybe they would replace them for you?

I sent them 3x analogue gray Trafos that were defective and they sent me 3 new ones.

Hey, who knows? It's worth a try and those motors are a-lot lighter than my 3 Trafos

were. Something to think about. After all they do want to keep their customers happy.

Cheers,Peter Cool
Offline Hoffmann  
#402 Posted : 06 December 2013 02:15:23(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

HI,

I do agree Marklin needs to improve their Turnout Motors. What struck me is that on yours always the same side is burnt out ( coincidence ? ).

I have seen a lot of C-Track turnout Motors go bad but not K-Track. It would not hurt to send these back to Marklin for warranty replacement.

Martin
marklin-eh
Offline river6109  
#403 Posted : 06 December 2013 04:06:21(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I had the same problem with the earlier versions, the soldering had overlapped what suppose to be 2 different circuits with other words the power was never shut off.
I would send them back and than they can see the stuff up they've made when they produced them.

at the same time I had 225 turnouts (single and double and the tongues had been spot soldered with a tiny pin at the end, showed them a photo and they did change the design, the only problem was when they returned the new ones they send me the new designed ones back and of course they were not compatible.

What really annoyed me, we had a public exhibition in 1984 with TV, Radio and public advertising and a set opening day, when we connected it all (digital system) there was a short and we couldn't find it, going through all the wiring, separating every module and it took us until 3 am in the morning the find the fault, my son noticed the broken tongue of a double switch which lay half mounted across the track, a lot of joy but I tell you I was very angry.

regards.,

John
http://www.youtube.com/river6109
http://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Rinus  
#404 Posted : 06 December 2013 10:35:50(UTC)
Rinus

Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
Hi Rinus, that's awful. I wonder what would happen if you sent them back to Märklin

with a letter reading "thanks for nothing"? Maybe they would replace them for you?

I sent them 3x analogue gray Trafos that were defective and they sent me 3 new ones.

Hey, who knows? It's worth a try and those motors are a-lot lighter than my 3 Trafos

were. Something to think about. After all they do want to keep their customers happy.

Cheers,Peter Cool

Good idea! i was thinking about sending them to Lokshop, but i only found a receipt for two, but this seems even better.

What adress did you used?

Rinus
thanks 1 user liked this great post by Rinus
Offline Rinus  
#405 Posted : 06 December 2013 10:38:47(UTC)
Rinus

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I had the same problem with the earlier versions, the soldering had overlapped what suppose to be 2 different circuits with other words the power was never shut off.
I would send them back and than they can see the stuff up they've made when they produced them.

at the same time I had 225 turnouts (single and double and the tongues had been spot soldered with a tiny pin at the end, showed them a photo and they did change the design, the only problem was when they returned the new ones they send me the new designed ones back and of course they were not compatible.

What really annoyed me, we had a public exhibition in 1984 with TV, Radio and public advertising and a set opening day, when we connected it all (digital system) there was a short and we couldn't find it, going through all the wiring, separating every module and it took us until 3 am in the morning the find the fault, my son noticed the broken tongue of a double switch which lay half mounted across the track, a lot of joy but I tell you I was very angry.

regards.,

John

I can understand that feeling John! My first thought in cases like this is allways: why didn't I kept it more simple ...

Definately gonna send them back. still think I'll replace them with servo's though.

Rinus
Offline Rinus  
#406 Posted : 06 December 2013 11:03:28(UTC)
Rinus

Originally Posted by: Hoffmann Go to Quoted Post

HI,

I do agree Marklin needs to improve their Turnout Motors. What struck me is that on yours always the same side is burnt out ( coincidence ? ).

I have seen a lot of C-Track turnout Motors go bad but not K-Track. It would not hurt to send these back to Marklin for warranty replacement.

Martin

I found that supprising too. Opened up you see there also is some damage on the other side, but not that much.

UserPostedImage

Will check the other switches too today. May find more.

Rinus
Offline petestra  
#407 Posted : 06 December 2013 12:09:05(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Rinus, I bought the Trafos at Lokshop. They told me to send them directly to

Märklin with a copy of the original invoice. Let us know how it goes for you.

Cheers, Peter ThumpUp

Gebr. Märklin & Cie GmbH
Reparaturservice
Stuttgarter Str. 55-57
73033 Goeppingen
Germany.
thanks 1 user liked this great post by petestra
Offline BrandonVA  
#408 Posted : 06 December 2013 14:49:07(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: Rinus Go to Quoted Post

I found that supprising too. Opened up you see there also is some damage on the other side, but not that much.

To beat a dead horse...I have found the newer the turnout motor, the less reliable it seems. I have K track turnouts from the 80s with the integrated motor...they all still work. Then I have some I bought in the 90s with a removable motor (I think Marklin 7549)...the motor had a different profile, it was mostly just a rectangle, the manual switch protrudes further, but these too have stood up over time. Anything I have bought in the last 3 years has been much less reliable (3 years since I started buying track for my new layout). The motors I have like yours often require me to open then, spray a bit of electrical contract cleaner inside, and then wait a bit and they come back to life. I have a couple that just stopped working. However, none of them have melted as yours have. When you open then you can see the solder is pretty close, so I can imagine them shorting out as John says very easily. A couple I have carefully re-soldered, but this shouldn't be necessary. For me (and probably you), it's hard to justify spending on shipping to get a couple of turnout motors. Next time I order any Marklin I an going to order some spares...I know sooner or later one will fail.

I think with yours, it's pretty obvious there is a manufacturing defect..they have all failed in the exact same way! I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this great post by BrandonVA
Offline petestra  
#409 Posted : 06 December 2013 15:11:18(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Good idea, Brandon. I should get some C track spares too. You never know. Of course,

my old M track switches still work great and they are from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Cheers, Peter BigGrin ThumpUp
Offline Goofy  
#410 Posted : 08 December 2013 10:24:21(UTC)
Goofy

Hello Rinus!
I too shall start to build a new layout with K tracks.
I use Tortoise motor to control K turnouts.
It´s bad luck with Marklins own motor,but i know they did changed the problem to a new turnout motor third generation.
Of course you can use servo motor too.
Sincerely
Anders

DCC
Bayern,Preussen and Wurtemberg
Era 1

thanks 1 user liked this great post by Goofy
Offline Rinus  
#411 Posted : 10 December 2013 16:18:01(UTC)
Rinus

Hi Guys,

Luckily no more solenoids where found defect, allthough two others are allready showings signs of a burn-out (difficult to get them in one cetrain position).

Contacted the dutch agent. Got a very generic reply in which they told me to ship them to Göppingen. So I will do next weekend. I hope I got all receipts ...

I'll also order 8 servo's so I can begin converting during the christmas holidays BigGrin However it will not be easy to install a servo or tortoise switch mechanism as most turn-outs are prety hard to reach.

Rinus

Offline river6109  
#412 Posted : 11 December 2013 10:01:10(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Hi Guys,

Luckily no more solenoids where found defect, allthough two others are allready showings signs of a burn-out (difficult to get them in one cetrain position).

Contacted the dutch agent. Got a very generic reply in which they told me to ship them to Göppingen. So I will do next weekend. I hope I got all receipts ...

I'll also order 8 servo's so I can begin converting during the christmas holidays BigGrin However it will not be easy to install a servo or tortoise switch mechanism as most turn-outs are prety hard to reach.

Rinus

Rinus,

I bought ESU servo motors and I had about 6 turnouts which I was able to drill the hole but didn't have all the motors at the time.

What I did is glued them on with hot glue but to my horror they fell off the other day and to get to them or remount them wasn't easy but I did manage to glue them back on again by using the holes intended for the screws and placed a dot of glue over the holes and there was room in the middle as well, the important part was to get them in position as quickly as possible before the glue starts setting. they also had be pressed right against the plywood so the extension rod was long enough to reach the hole of the lever.

I also have more problems with adding new servo motors to my turnouts, its not the access this time but the room to get a drill into, to drill the hole.

John
thanks 1 user liked this great post by river6109
Offline Rinus  
#413 Posted : 17 December 2013 21:34:00(UTC)
Rinus

Had some fun at the lay-out this weekend with a few double traction trains.

Here is the EU43 tandem.

Rinus
thanks 7 users liked this great post by Rinus
Offline Rinus  
#414 Posted : 18 December 2013 21:20:37(UTC)
Rinus

Another one featuring a double Rh 1020!

Rinus
thanks 5 users liked this great post by Rinus
Offline Rinus  
#415 Posted : 25 December 2013 11:31:29(UTC)
Rinus

Hi all!

This friday the scenery stuff arrived: Noch grassmaster, loads of Woordland and Noch grass, foliage and turf.

Started right away and here are some preliminary results!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,

Rinus
thanks 8 users liked this great post by Rinus
Offline petestra  
#416 Posted : 25 December 2013 13:40:27(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Rinus and happy holidays. I can just picture myself as a young lad again running over

those hills with my dog. It looks great! Peter ThumpUp Smile
Offline Rinus  
#417 Posted : 25 December 2013 23:43:13(UTC)
Rinus

Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
Hi Rinus and happy holidays. I can just picture myself as a young lad again running over

those hills with my dog. It looks great! Peter ThumpUp Smile

Yup it doenst look too bad and its not even that difficult to do. However I made some small mistakes in some area's. the grass is to thin in some area's and now the paint basecoat shines though (glue mixture was not optimal). Best is to make a baselayer with turf instead of paint and then add grass. At least thats what I think now with some days experience Cool . I'll add trees to make a small forrest later on.

Actually we were just wondering how our cat will appreciate this.BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

She loves to sleep on the lay-out but she is very picky. However the grass is quite soft, so I hope she likes this.

Rinus
thanks 2 users liked this great post by Rinus
Offline BrandonVA  
#418 Posted : 27 December 2013 02:47:16(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Its funny how with a layout we do so much work, but you really see the biggest change when you do this step. Great work. You can always use a few items (bushes, rocks, etc) to patch any imperfections.

-Brandon
Offline Danlake  
#419 Posted : 27 December 2013 03:59:22(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Looks excellent Rinus,
The layout is really coming together. We'll done!
Brgds Lasse
Digital 8m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS2 60214 / Train Controller Gold
thanks 1 user liked this great post by Danlake
Offline Martin T  
#420 Posted : 27 December 2013 13:14:16(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Wow! Smile
Very nice work with the landscaping Rinus. ThumpUp
Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
thanks 1 user liked this great post by Martin T
Offline Rinus  
#421 Posted : 02 February 2014 19:42:03(UTC)
Rinus

Thanks for the support!

Did some work on re-wiring some parts of the lay-out this week. this weekend I continued with the scenery!

I made a base layer with woodland fine turf.

Tunnel exit

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Station section

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Unfortunally some dammage was done too. i found out I used to much glue. This caused the paper mache to detach from the plaster wall and mesh wire. Confused

UserPostedImage

Rinus

thanks 8 users liked this great post by Rinus
Offline Rinus  
#422 Posted : 07 February 2014 11:58:15(UTC)
Rinus

New visitor!

A Rh 1110.5 with sound from Roco right out of the box, so no details attached yet.

Her sister a Rh 1110 is on its way to make it a nice double traction. Drool

UserPostedImage

Rinus
thanks 6 users liked this great post by Rinus
Offline BrandonVA  
#423 Posted : 07 February 2014 15:04:34(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Rinus,

Very nice loco. Did you find a way to repair the damage done where your plaster separated from the stone wall?

-Brandon
Offline PJMärklin  
#424 Posted : 08 February 2014 06:26:42(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Thanks for the support!

Did some work on re-wiring some parts of the lay-out this week. this weekend I continued with the scenery!

I made a base layer with woodland fine turf.

Tunnel exit

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Station section

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Unfortunally some dammage was done too. i found out I used to much glue. This caused the paper mache to detach from the plaster wall and mesh wire. Confused

UserPostedImage

Rinus

Hello Rinus,

Very nice tunnel blending into the cliff face!

Regards,

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this great post by PJMärklin
Offline river6109  
#425 Posted : 08 February 2014 08:06:41(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I should concentrate more on members posting their layout progress than taking part in endless and pointless discussions.

excellent scenery work there Rinus and I'm disappointed with Roco since they've changed the decoders from ESU to Zimo, although there is nothing wrong with Zimo sound decoders but to program them I would say one would be restricted using a lokprogrammer.

please let us know if you can program these decoders to your own likings and if so I may purchase a few Zimo decoders on their own because I think there is another loco (Rh 1043) they produce.

John
Offline river6109  
#426 Posted : 10 February 2014 09:43:18(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Austrian Railways Rollende Landstraße accident (Brenner), 3 people injured

http://tirol.orf.at/news/stories/2630135/
thanks 2 users liked this great post by river6109
Offline river6109  
#427 Posted : 11 February 2014 08:04:48(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
New visitor!

A Rh 1110.5 with sound from Roco right out of the box, so no details attached yet.

UserPostedImage

Rinus

Rinus,

any cat. number ? I only could find them in DC and the latest one (2014) is in green (AC) got it 78366 and 367

John
Offline Martin T  
#428 Posted : 11 February 2014 18:16:25(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Your scenary is coming along very nicely!
ThumpUp

I love the stone walls you got there. Looks very nice!
Love
Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
Offline Rinus  
#429 Posted : 12 February 2014 09:59:57(UTC)
Rinus

New visitor!

UserPostedImage

Rinus

Rinus,

any cat. number ? I only could find them in DC and the latest one (2014) is in green (AC) got it 78366 and 367

John

Yup

Cat. number

Its a reworked version of their older moulds.

Review will follow soon.

Rinus
Offline Rinus  
#430 Posted : 12 February 2014 10:01:35(UTC)
Rinus

Austrian Railways Rollende Landstraße accident (Brenner), 3 people injured

http://tirol.orf.at/news/stories/2630135/

So I heard at work today. amazing that something like this can happen.

not the first time hwoever. Last year a worktrain wondered off during constructions on the line and derailed in a curve.

rinus
Offline Rinus  
#431 Posted : 01 March 2014 14:13:42(UTC)
Rinus

Have been reworking the electric wiring. Old one was a mess. Now I used 1.5 mm2 instead of 0.14 mm2.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Next time: more scenery...

rinus
Offline river6109  
#432 Posted : 02 March 2014 05:32:04(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Rinus,

it looks like there isn't much room to move about, at first I thought this is a board but than looking at the other photos its the mat on the floor, so it could be quite comfortable to lie back and fix the wiring.

John
Offline Rinus  
#433 Posted : 23 March 2014 09:54:58(UTC)
Rinus

Rinus,

it looks like there isn't much room to move about, at first I thought this is a board but than looking at the other photos its the mat on the floor, so it could be quite comfortable to lie back and fix the wiring.

John

Its about 60 cm from the floor, but comfortable is a different experience. Allmost done now with the re-wiring! Razz
Offline Rinus  
#434 Posted : 23 March 2014 09:56:42(UTC)
Rinus

Picture from my new loco's: Rh 1110.5 and Rh 1110 performing double traction.

UserPostedImage

More pictures in the loco review tread.

Rinus

Offline Martin T  
#435 Posted : 24 March 2014 13:04:39(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Double traction! Cool! ThumpUp
A lot of pulling power you got there!
Drool
Regards / Martin T
Offline Mark5  
#436 Posted : 24 March 2014 14:13:54(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Great progress Rinus! You work always inspires me. I was working on the Mächenbahn with the girls this weekend, creating the form of hills with styrofoam, burning (outside due to toxic stink!) and cutting to shape. I noticed you did a great job with the rock face around the portals. Wondering how to do that great paint job on the rocks. Paint over styro has to be thick and details can get lost, yet when the styro is burned/melted/cut with a soldering iron it can make a more natural rock shape.

Any tips you can share bout painting rock face to get a naturalistic look?

Thanks again for sharing your progress!
- Mark

Interested in history of DB, DR and FS from about 1955 to 1965
Fan of signals and catenary; stations and yards. Is there anything else?

thanks 1 user liked this great post by Mark5
Offline Rinus  
#437 Posted : 26 March 2014 20:49:34(UTC)
Rinus

Hi Mark!

Thanks!

Coloring the rock formations is actually quite easy!

I made the rocks out of plaster and used the woodland scenics earth coloring set.

This video shows how-to.

Lots more can be found here: http://woodlandscenics.woodland.../video/c/WoodlandScenics

Rinus
thanks 5 users liked this great post by Rinus
Offline Goofy  
#438 Posted : 06 April 2014 07:22:25(UTC)
Goofy

Yes colouring is easy on the rocks,but be carefully when you choise correct color for the rocks similar look like in Europe.
Sincerely
Anders

DCC
Bayern,Preussen and Wurtemberg
Era 1

Offline river6109  
#439 Posted : 10 April 2014 01:56:56(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Rinus,

a Brenner Bahn video may be of interest to you.

John
thanks 2 users liked this great post by river6109