Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rhobson1968  
#1 Posted : 28 April 2010 06:08:23(UTC)
rhobson1968

I bought a new vintage marklin M track turntable. Problem is I have C track. Besides getting the C to M track convertor tracks has anyone done any crazy stuff to make a turntable M track work with C track.ThumpUp ThumpUp .. I was thinking of cutting the tabs off of the end pieces and setting them against the turntable and running seperate power to the turntable.
Never quit building.
Offline ac jacko  
#2 Posted : 28 April 2010 11:21:15(UTC)
ac jacko

rhobson1968 wrote:
I bought a new vintage marklin M track turntable. Problem is I have C track. Besides getting the C to M track convertor tracks has anyone done any crazy stuff to make a turntable M track work with C track.ThumpUp ThumpUp .. I was thinking of cutting the tabs off of the end pieces and setting them against the turntable and running seperate power to the turntable.

Good on you as the ones I have seen are very dear to buy. Where did you purchase from?
Offline Philip  
#3 Posted : 28 April 2010 15:34:28(UTC)
Philip

Hello.

I would choose to use the convertor tracks between c-rails as to and from the turntable and otherwise use m-rails for train depot tracks.
Philip.

Let's keep it simple.
MFDWPL
Offline rhobson1968  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2010 20:30:59(UTC)
rhobson1968

The idea of using M track in the depot is what I will do. I was thinking inside the box when I needed to think outside. I have enough M track to pull it off and a couple of C to M will do the rest. ...

I bought the turntable on EBay. It was listed as non-working but once I got it and cleaned it it was perfect again.
Never quit building.
Offline Deborail  
#5 Posted : 26 May 2010 15:49:31(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
A turntable is an interesting addition, but would it be large enough to accomodate a big boy (465mm)? Also would it be able to work with Hornby 2 rail DC rails feeding to it?? The 7286 marklin turntable is around 300 Euros...
George

Given enough time, tasks manage themselves.
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 26 May 2010 16:04:30(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Deborail wrote:
A turntable is an interesting addition, but would it be large enough to accomodate a big boy (465mm)? Also would it be able to work with Hornby 2 rail DC rails feeding to it?? The 7286 marklin turntable is around 300 Euros...

George,

I reckon you'd be better off getting the Fleischmann turntable.

BTW, I don't think any turntable would fit a BigBoy!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 26 May 2010 17:06:39(UTC)
H0

RayPayas wrote:
I reckon you'd be better off getting the Fleischmann turntable.

Märklin 7286 is the Fleischmann turntable (3-rail version). 2-rail version available from Fleischmann (that's what Ray meant).
Too short for a Big Boy.

Roco also offers a turntable (for 2-rail and 3-rail).

I don't have experience with any of those ... Sad

UP had turntables big enough for a Big Boy.
But I never heard of any H0 model of those.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 26 May 2010 18:06:52(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Deborail wrote:
.....but would it be large enough to accomodate a big boy (465mm)?

Marklin strongly advise against trying to turn a 7286 turntable with a Big Boy on the table, as the locomotive is too heavy for the motor in the turntable. You can run a BB through the table, but should not attempt to turn a BB.
Offline dntower85  
#9 Posted : 26 May 2010 18:15:52(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
there were only a few turn tables large enough for the big boy. here is one

Cheyenne, WY‎

An large engine shed can be set up so the big boy can pass across the turn table with out tuning it.

in most cases i think the big boy was turned on a large wYe.

DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline sudibarba  
#10 Posted : 28 May 2010 02:51:38(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I have one 7186 on my layout and 2 in reserve. They are loud but who cares (my view anyway). Hook up the coverter track and get M track for the out feeds. Just as good a C track for that purpose. I don't think a Big Boy would ever fit in any shed.
Eric
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 28 May 2010 12:14:47(UTC)
H0

Bigdaddynz wrote:
as the locomotive is too heavy for the motor in the turntable.

Where did you read that?

They say the Big Boy can ride over the turntable, but cannot be turned.
But they don't say why in the product database.

I simply presumed that one cannot turn a 46 cm loco on a 31 cm turntable. But maybe this explanation is too simple and too obvious, and weight is the real problem ... Scared

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline jonquinn  
#12 Posted : 28 May 2010 21:53:13(UTC)
jonquinn

I think maybe the only HO turntable that might work with a BigBoy is the Walthers/Heljan(?) 130' table. I don't think they are so common on ebay lately, and they are kind of pricey. I saw one work at an NMRA train show a few years ago, and it did appear to run pretty smoothly, and indexing was precise.
you would of course have to figure out how to convert the bridge to work with 3-rail track. PierreGillard did a conversion to one of the walthers 75' TTs some time back.
Offline christos563  
#13 Posted : 03 March 2015 19:25:40(UTC)
christos563

Greece   
Hi mister and any other friends form America,
Hi from thessaloniki, hellas.

The turntable will Work with 24951 adjustment track. Big boy and Penny PA-1 can only Cross the turntable, not change face on it.

My greetings and good afternoon.

Christos563.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by christos563
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 03 March 2015 20:57:11(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Bigdaddynz wrote:
as the locomotive is too heavy for the motor in the turntable.

Where did you read that?

I'm fairly sure I read it someone, maybe in a Marklin Magazine. But after 5 years I can't really remember exactly! However, it stands to reason that weight would be the reason if Marklin tells you not to turn a big heavy loco like a Big Boy on their turntables.

Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 04 March 2015 08:16:15(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
However, it stands to reason that weight would be the reason if Marklin tells you not to turn a big heavy loco like a Big Boy on their turntables.
IMHO it is more important that the Big Boy is much longer than the turntable. You have to turn the Big Boy in two halves to make it work. LOL

The Big Boy is 46 cm long, the turntable has about 30 cm.
The Big Boy can drive across the turntable, but it cannot be turned.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline biedmatt  
#16 Posted : 04 March 2015 13:36:26(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
The BR 53 with the water condensing tender is also too long for the M turntable. There are a few situations (2?) where opposite tracks will line up and you can run the 53K or BB through the turntable, but if you try to turn them, you will be left with loko both on and off the turntable. Might be interesting to watch once, in a Gomez Adams way.

Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#17 Posted : 05 March 2015 01:57:37(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

I think I already said that, five years ago!
Offline biedmatt  
#18 Posted : 05 March 2015 02:30:08(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   

I think I already said that, five years ago!

Hi David,
I missed that post five years ago. Based on your posts in this current thread, I, and perhaps others, was left with the impression you felt the limiting factor was the weight and not the length.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#19 Posted : 05 March 2015 10:49:45(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Possibly, but the point I was trying to make was that Marklin had said not to try to turn the BB on a turntable. Whether it was because of length or weight I don't really remember. I must admit that I've never tried to measure the length of either of my Big Boys, but whether the reason for not turning the Big Boy is because of weight or length, or most likely both, is a moot point. The important point is, don't do it!
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 05 March 2015 11:48:37(UTC)
H0

but whether the reason for not turning the Big Boy is because of weight or length, or most likely both, is a moot point. The important point is, don't do it!
You wrote about big heavy locos in general, not about the Big Boy.
If length is the limiting factor then it's easy to tell what goes.
If weight is the limiting factor then where is the limit?

However, it stands to reason that weight would be the reason if Marklin tells you not to turn a big heavy loco like a Big Boy on their turntables.
From the Big Boy product description: "The track must be well mounted due to the heavy weight of the locomotive. The locomotive can only be run through a turntable or transfer table."
I think length is the only limiting factor with respect to turntables, but weight can be a problem with bridges and other constructions.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#21 Posted : 06 March 2015 11:01:02(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
From the Big Boy product description: "The track must be well mounted due to the heavy weight of the locomotive. The locomotive can only be run through a turntable or transfer table.

That was probably where I got the idea weight was an issue.