Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages<12345>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rhtastro  
#101 Posted : 21 April 2010 09:39:34(UTC)
rhtastro

United States   
And the beat goes on Unsure Unsure Unsure
Robert's trains insured by Colt 45--Marklin Club of NorCal, Founder and Sole Member--- Robert's photos may be used as public domain-all copyrights waved
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"-T.Jefferson
Offline kimballthurlow  
#102 Posted : 24 July 2010 01:10:30(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Quoted from Lutz in an unrelated topic:

Quote:
The best news was anyways reported today by Mr. Pluta: 1,8Mio profit for the last half year (vs. 1,5Mio loss for the same period last year)! They are running the operation without new money/credits; i.e. back to self-sufficiency and profitability.

He also indicated that they even think about terminating the insolvency w/o having to look for an investor; details are yet open (i.e. to be discussed with the debtees).

Good ongoing news.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline nevw  
#103 Posted : 24 July 2010 03:04:41(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
If no Investor/buyer is going to be found. Who will own the Company??

Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline kimballthurlow  
#104 Posted : 24 July 2010 09:47:57(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Nev,
Kingsbridge originally applied to the Court to be protected by insolvency rules and regulations, which is why it is currently in the hands of the administrator. Without other knowledge, I believe legally Kingsbridge still own the company.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline nevw  
#105 Posted : 24 July 2010 12:26:36(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Kimall, thanks, I thought as much.

Back to the same stripping of Assets.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline GSRR  
#106 Posted : 24 July 2010 13:50:15(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Hold on there partner! Smile

My memory is fuzzy. I thought there was 2 or 3 local banks that were creditors? Would not the creditors now "own" the company. And would not these banks for social cohesion not press for an immediate sale as long as Marklin does not drag them down?

Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline David Dewar  
#107 Posted : 24 July 2010 14:42:06(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
German law may of course be different but the firm can come out of administration and continue to trade as before with the agreement of the creditors. The creditors would presume that trading has improved and will continue to improve and they will therefore receive their cash in due course. They may ask for different management (in my view this is essential) but the owners will remain as before.
For us Marklin folk this is probably good news in the short term of a few years but I would think it unlikely that the firm will survive in its present form. Germany is a fairly insular country and as such would not wish the banks to bring down one of their famous toy names. The best outcome would be a new owner but nobody would wish to buy Marklin (even another German firm)as it stands other than for a token amount.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline nilkram58  
#108 Posted : 24 July 2010 23:41:18(UTC)
nilkram58

Greece   
This is good news for Marklin, though it was expected since Mr. Pluta brought the Company in positive EBITDA very early. W.r.t. the ownership, I would expect that the equity of the Company should be somehow collateralised from the creditors and the loan providers (i.e. the local banks). So, the remaining question might be the running of the company, i.e. the short to medium term management. Again, congatulations to Mr. Pluta for safeguarding our hobby !!!
Akis
Offline steventrain  
#109 Posted : 25 October 2010 19:41:32(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Marklin is out of insolvency at end of this year.

Stefan Löbich will be new CEO of Marklin.

See some links in German.

http://www.welt.de/wirts...neuer-Maerklin-Chef.html

http://www.swp.de/goeppi...oeppingen/art5583,685697

http://www.swp.de/ulm/na...irtschaft/art4325,685660

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Ranjit  
#110 Posted : 25 October 2010 20:37:30(UTC)
Ranjit

Great news, Stephen.

I hope that Stefan Löbich will quickly propel Märklin to its former glory.

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline nilkram58  
#111 Posted : 26 October 2010 00:17:08(UTC)
nilkram58

Greece   
These are great news. I was sure, that Mr. Pluta was heading in the right directions, and the fact that he succeeded in getting the Company out of the insolvency without the need of new investors makes him a hero !! I think that only very few people could predict such an outcome, one and a half year ago.
Congratulations Mr. Pluta !!!
Akis
Offline eduard71  
#112 Posted : 26 October 2010 03:01:06(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Hi there, I have a question about the insolvency process, in this moment who is the owner of Marklin?, the banks? the suppliers? any one with the biggest debt to collect from the company? How does this work in Germany? Is Mr Pluta a goverment agent?
Offline petestra  
#113 Posted : 26 October 2010 03:11:11(UTC)
petestra

United States   
With the building of my new layout over the past year I know that I have helped put a great company back in the black! Hopefully for good! Congratulations Maerklin! PeterThumpUp
Offline TomB  
#114 Posted : 26 October 2010 10:38:55(UTC)
TomB

Well, the last I read about the Märklin's insolvency is not everything good news.
The creditors want some money back ...................... Mad Mad

Link

Bankruptcy plan or not
More Bang for Märklin
----------------------

Märklin are still some hurdles to jump. The creditors have claims totaling less than 100 million €.
Pluta administrator wants to solve the problem by year end.

The insolvency plan for the model railway manufacturer Märklin is not yet set in stone.
The creditors' committee first discussed the plan administrator Michael Pluta.
This would end the bankruptcy of the traditional company from Göppingen the year.
Finally has to choose a meeting of all creditors. Their demands amount to a total of about 93 million €.

The date for the plenary meeting of the creditors are not yet finalized, said a spokeswoman for the
insolvency administrator. According to a report of the SWR (SWR), citing gives it a total of
1380 Amtsgericht Göppingen creditors, they could meet earlier than the end of November.

Märklin had filed bankruptcy in February 2009. Since the announcement of the insolvency had to walk
more than 400 employees, about 1,000 remained at the sites in Germany and Hungary.
Last week had become known that Märklin Stefan Löbich gets a new boss.

In mid-July had announced Märklin for the first half of 2010, an increase in orders of 74 to 78 million €. Revenues had grown from 40.4 to 42.6 million euros. Earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT) increased compared to the same period of minus 1.5 million to 1.8 million euros plus.

Tom Blikstad
HO, german/swiss trains, Märklin K+C, ECoS I+II,
Viessmann, Kühn, MBTronik, WinDigipet 2012, WinTrack 11
Offline jeehring  
#115 Posted : 26 October 2010 15:31:41(UTC)
jeehring

eduard71 wrote:
Hi there, I have a question about the insolvency process, in this moment who is the owner of Marklin?, the banks? the suppliers? any one with the biggest debt to collect from the company? ...(......)

Here are the true questions !

I don't think Mr Pluta is " a government agent"...probably he is a sworn administrator / sworn agent (he must be under oath....same system as lawyers , bailiff, etc...)....but I'm not 100% sure, as we are in Germany....& despite european standardization process...

Which is bothering me : 1380 creditors !!!....suddenly, right after february 2009...RollEyes ...where do they come from ? ***LOL Is the owner included (with estimated value of the Cie) ? etc...etc...

*** ...in this kind of situation, even salaried workers may be involved as " creditors"....
Offline Answ  
#116 Posted : 01 November 2010 17:28:23(UTC)
Answ

Well, I'm glad they didn't disappear like some companies do when they go bankrupt... They were popular enough for that. ThumpUp
- Anatole
Offline nilkram58  
#117 Posted : 12 November 2010 15:02:57(UTC)
nilkram58

Greece   
It seems that Hornby is experiencing similar financial problems with its suppliers (copy from BBC News: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11742016):

Hornby profits hit by supply problems
Half-year profits at model train-maker Hornby have fallen by 29% after a problem with its suppliers meant it was unable to meet demand for its products.
Pre-tax profits were £528,000 in the six months to 30 September, down from £743,000 last year.
Hornby said its suppliers had been unable to source enough parts, which lowered its own stock levels.
Revenues at the company, which also owns Scalextric and the Airfix and Corgi brands, rose 2% to £25.5m.
Hornby said its main suppliers had now rectified the problem, and that it was also now using alternative manufacturing companies.
As a result, Hornby said it was now "well placed" to meet the increase in sales it enjoys in the key Christmas trading season.
It added that sales of its train sets and Scalextric slot-car systems linked to this year's Toy Story 3 film were expected to be particularly strong.

Akis
Offline steventrain  
#118 Posted : 12 November 2010 15:25:31(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
nilkram58 wrote:
It seems that Hornby is experiencing similar financial problems with its suppliers (copy from BBC News: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11742016):

Akis

Above link not working.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11742016
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline David Dewar  
#119 Posted : 12 November 2010 17:26:25(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Problem at Hornby was with their Chinese manufacturers. Not enough product was being made to meet demand. It appears this has now been solved and the Company should be able to meet their Christmas demand.
Hornby remains profitable with of course their other plastic kit businesses contributing.
There is no doubt that with the cuts in UK spending power this will mean a difficult time for all firms and toys are not of course of primary importance.
With Hornby being a public company it is properly regulated and there is no reason why it should end up like Marklin.
Much depends on the next few years and with the Olympic Games coming to London I understand Hornby have contracts in this respect which will increase sales.
I dont buy any of their products myself but do have an interest in the Company.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline steventrain  
#120 Posted : 09 December 2010 21:45:34(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Märklin: Creditors' meeting in two weeks

The creditors of the insolvent model railway manufacturer Märklin decide in two weeks on its future. As a spokeswoman said Michael Pluta in Munich of the press agency DPA, the creditors' meeting is set for 21 December. It is to decide on the insolvency plan - and whether the insolvency proceedings end as planned to the turn of the year. The demands of the creditors on the Göppinger enterprise amount to altogether approximately 93 million euros.
Offline nilkram58  
#121 Posted : 09 December 2010 23:12:18(UTC)
nilkram58

Greece   
I think, it's almost certain that the insolvency will end. The interesting question is if the debt will remain intact, or a haircut and/or lengthening of the repayment period and terms (e.g. interest rates) will occur. If the company will be capable of repayment of all its debt, I think that Mr. Pluta should go to Harvard Business School to teach !!!
Akis
Offline Webmaster  
#122 Posted : 09 December 2010 23:29:41(UTC)
Webmaster

Since 2009 ended on a positive note regarding profit (ok, no dept payments due to the insolvency procedure) it shows that the company is alive and kicking a bit. Hope the creditors also recognize this and do not reclaim all debts on an immediate basis, which would lead to a bankrupcy and a disaster for the company.

Not to mention all of us...Crying
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline nilkram58  
#123 Posted : 09 December 2010 23:55:05(UTC)
nilkram58

Greece   
I believe that banks are clever enough to wait more in order to recapture their money and secure their loans !! Otherwise, they will have to make write offs from their assets, something that everybody is avoiding right now. I beleive that even will be willing to do some haircut, especially the banks that have little remaining time in their loans to M* (since they have been paid interest for long time). Let's see.
Akis
Offline David Dewar  
#124 Posted : 10 December 2010 00:21:54(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
The job of Herr Pluta should have been to sell the firm and thus repay the creditors. In this he has failed to find a buyer despite appearing to lower the amount required for a purchase. Many have looked at Marklin but none have thought the business worth buying.
If the creditors are prepared to wait for their 93 million ( and I expect this will be many years before repayment) then Marklin will continue. However if the factory can be sold along with stock and machinery etc which covers all or most of the debt then that is another way to go.
Marklin continues to ignore overseas markets and would probably be better to continue in a smaller way by selling in Germany and a few surrounding countries. By reducing overheads and also new product but providing quality models they could continue to trade and repay creditors.
We here can of course continue to purchase through German dealers.
German economy is doing fairly well at present and the Christmas period will be vital to Marklin to attract new people to the hobby.
The Banks I presume are already holding security (for what it may be worth) and as all Banks are writing off large debts (billions)the amount to write off in respect of Marklin is very small. However thet may not wish to finish off the Marklin business which is important in name for many years and a household name in Germany.
I always rated the firms chances of continuing as 50/50 and see no reason to change that and only the next few years will tell if we can still buy our favourite models.

dave
Offline nilkram58  
#125 Posted : 10 December 2010 00:35:30(UTC)
nilkram58

Greece   
Dave,
there is a contradiction here! Since the creditor Banks are not going to produce model trains themselves, in the case of going the company to liquidation, they should be very sure beforehand that there is another buyer ready to pay afterwards for Marklin. Which raises the question, why this secret buyer has not shown up during Mr. Pluta's roadshow.
Almost minimum chances the creditors to try liquidate the company.
Akis
Offline GG1 Fan  
#126 Posted : 10 December 2010 06:47:15(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Greetings,

Who, exactly, are these 'creditors'?

Are they the suppliers who made and shipped goods to Marklin for it to build model trains? Are these the workers at Marklin, who, some of them, did not get paid for months?

Or, are some of the 'creditors' those in that screwed up management that looted the company of millions by paying themselves $$$Million Dollar salaries? What's the market Up Side Potential in the Model Train Business?? Tens of Millions? Billions? Who were those jokers fooling?

Marklin makes the most outstanding product in its field. Each of these model locomotives is hand built to exacting standards and they run like fine tuned watches. Ya can't outsource that ability to China and pay a worker there $2 a day. No, ya can't.

The Germans build the best darn product out there, and have been doing it for 150 years. Time to kick out the nonsense and move on with it.

I heard Marklin had revenues of over $9 Million in the past year. Oustanding, in a down world wide economy.

My father spend an outragous $500 back in the mid-70's buying Marklin products. My son has a $2000+ train set to play with. German engineering at it's best, hands down, quality sells, keeps its value and is worth having.

<Salute Marklin, Salute Germany>

Paul

Sorry to rant on this board guys. I just needed to say all that.
Offline river6109  
#127 Posted : 10 December 2010 08:07:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Creditors, include the former owners of Märklin, Bank(s) and suppliers.
I don't know how the court proceedings between Mr. Pluto's allegations of misusing company funds by the former owners has been dealt with.

Although the company is showing profits, to pay this money back under a long term plan, it is the only way I can see the company can continue to operate.
If the creditors are declining any or are not satisfied with the terms and conditions we could see an other turmoil for the company.

Regardless whether or not the company is trading if the creditors (I would say they have to be a majority) are declaring the company for bankruptcy, the value of the company would shrink considerable and getting any reasonable compensation back would be minimal.

What Mr. Pluta demonstrated was, he bought the company back into the black (trading account) and this alone would give creditors some confident, they are getting more back, although over a longer period of time, than had the company gone into bankruptcy in the first place.

My view is, creditors will accept a repayment schedule and it may be conducted in such a fashion, whereas the biggest credit stakeholders gets the biggest share of the payback scheme.
Another scenario could also emerge, will there be interest charges on top of the money owing.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline David Dewar  
#128 Posted : 10 December 2010 12:24:04(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi John Agree. Anybody of course can trade at a profit if you dont repay debts etc. As you say creditors will probably wait for their money.

Akis. The Banks are not looking for a buyer that is the job of the administrator. They would liquidate by selling the factory to property developers (or anybody) and sell off the stock cheap to dealers. If this brings them sufficient to keep them happy then that is the way they will go. That is the one thing we do not want and will probably not happen as the firm appears to be more or less worthless (as clearly shown by the lack of buyers.
We all like Marklin stuff here but that does not make it a well run firm.

dave
Offline jvuye  
#129 Posted : 10 December 2010 20:29:51(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Webmaster wrote:
Since 2009 ended on a positive note regarding profit (ok, no dept payments due to the insolvency procedure) it shows that the company is alive and kicking a bit. Hope the creditors also recognize this and do not reclaim all debts on an immediate basis, which would lead to a bankrupcy and a disaster for the company.

Not to mention all of us...Crying

...and not to mention all the wonderful people who are working there making our trains!ThumpUp
I was there in September at the Open doors day, and I must say I was overwhelmed with what I witnessed in terms of skills, knowledge, enthusiasm and pride.Love
(Yes I felt these "butterflies"...Wub...but I have been known to be emotional at times...)
They are the ones that represent my main motivation to spent some extra money this year (again!)
That is the best investment we can do in the future of our hobby.
Off my soapbox, back to the jig saw to cut more of these track support for my layout....Wink
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline GG1 Fan  
#130 Posted : 11 December 2010 07:28:14(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Dave,
My point is that Marklin was a well run firm with an outstanding product. It has enjoyed a loyal collector base because it produces quality products that people want to buy. Plus, the longer one keeps his older locomotives, in good condition, the more the fetch at auction.

Marklin was bought up and LOOTED by those bought it. They took the profits from the sales, did not pay the workers and suppliers and just about ruined the good name of Marklin.

Paul
Offline river6109  
#131 Posted : 11 December 2010 09:50:31(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Paul,

I don't fully agree with you.

Märklin wasn't a well run company before the sale by the founders.

They had internal disagreements to a point whereas it hurt the company's overall performance.

What has happened afterwards is history and it wouldn't be the first firm, world wide, who gets overtaken by an

investors consortium and is stripped of its entire name, assets.

There has been more behind the scenes regarding the intent to shift the whole operation out of Germany, leaving the bank with assets worth nothing but having the rights (trading name)and manufacturing machinery set up in an other country.
So attempts had been made for what ever reasons.

Märklin has had in the past its own niche market and it worked well for the company, the biggest success I would put down to the digital system in 1984.

After that time, as other manufacturers came onto the market, Märklin lost its superiority and was left out or beaten by other cheaper available digital products.

Other manufacturers looked across the world and found a bigger world wide market for their digital components and at this time Märklin failed to compete and consequently took the eye of what is going on around them.

Kingsbridge took the opportunity and had fixed ideas how to clean up this long lasting model train producing company.
On top of this the previous owners had been tricked into (with some shareholder members refusing to give in or sign over), the money they suppose to receive (presumable other creditor claimants on Mr Pluta's list), would have equal to the share the bank was or is owned and consequently would received zero.

I think we have to separate a reliable well known product from directors with unreliable or devastating policy directions.

John

Offline David Dewar  
#132 Posted : 11 December 2010 11:54:22(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
The Marklin of old was well run and did produce great products. Because of poor management the firm went bust and there are also problems with quality (just look at the many threads on the forum here)
This is not being negative but just giving the facts.
We now hope for greater things.

dave
Offline GG1 Fan  
#133 Posted : 13 December 2010 04:55:43(UTC)
GG1 Fan

John,
Thanks for clearing those things up. I'm a victim of the 'rumors' I hear, plus how I process them.

As a guy just starting back into the Model RR hobby, I'm amazed at the articles and detail of modeling in the US. I had no idea what it had become. People have built whole reproductions of local RR's here in the US down to the stations, switches, scenery and operations. Detail right down to the grass and weeds growing between the ties.

I always felt the greatest drawback to Marklin was the lack of depth in their US offerings.

Yes, dispite Marklin's workmanship and detail, the cost of their stuff drives people away. Add poor marketing and well....

So, if the rumors are true and Marklin comes out of bankruptcy in early '11, then it will once again have access to lines of credit to make improvments in products and quality. (thanks from me to all those who bought new stuff and kept Marklin alive)

I just heard that Marklin has come out with a new digital control unit...after 25 years of 'research'. Hopefully a good start :)

(Don't tell me that China wanted to get their hands on Marklin equipment and production??)

Paul

Offline river6109  
#134 Posted : 13 December 2010 05:30:25(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Paul,

Wikie leaks may provide us with proof.BigGrin

Paul wrote:

I just heard that Marklin has come out with a new digital control unit...after 25 years of 'research'. Hopefully a good start :)

Which one are we talking about ? any more information ?

John
Offline GG1 Fan  
#135 Posted : 13 December 2010 05:44:05(UTC)
GG1 Fan

John,
Here is the word from my 'source'. He is one of the top Marklin retailers in the USA.

Quote:
And the new Mobile Stations too!

That's right, the new Märklin Mobile Stations and Control boxes are finally here. Finally, after nearly a quarter of a century since digital was first introduced, Märklin has an INEXPENSIVE product that lets you control both your locomotives, turnouts, signals - yes, just about every digital component on your layout. The backlit screen is very nice and, once you get used to the controls, it's very easy to operate your locomotives, alternate between locomotives and digital accessories, etc. Your "mfx" locomotives register themselves automatically, and there's even a built-in card reader where you can store and retrieve information on your non-mfx engines.

If you don't have a Central Station, the inexpensive 60113 Control Box is used to connect the Mobile Station to your layout - actually you can attach up to 2 Mobile Station units to the control box.

If you have a digital layout and either want to move beyond the original technology (6021, etc.) and take advantage of the ability to control your signals and switches and - most of all - get to use all those neat functions on your "mfx" locomotives, this IS a great way to get started. And, if you eventually want to move up to the Central Station, you can just plug your Mobile Stations into the Central Station with no problem at all.

I'm on his mailing list so that's what I have. I will be visiting him this week, and will let you know what I find.

Paul
Offline nevw  
#136 Posted : 13 December 2010 05:58:17(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
RJF is talking about the MS2 and other necessary bits. Nothing real new but new to US Dealers or it is a new shipment. Been around for over 12 months

NN
Offline river6109  
#137 Posted : 13 December 2010 07:43:34(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Paul,

There have been some discussions about the MS2, its usefulness and value for money.

John

Offline Webmaster  
#138 Posted : 14 December 2010 18:53:47(UTC)
Webmaster

Topic "Marklin out of insolvency by the end of this year" merged into this topic.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline TimR  
#139 Posted : 14 December 2010 22:41:30(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
river6109 wrote:
Märklin has had in the past its own niche market and it worked well for the company, the biggest success I would put down to the digital system in 1984.

I think we have to separate a reliable well known product from directors with unreliable or devastating policy directions.

Where to start?

I think one of the key issue with Marklin management is that they continue to behave as if they still had the market dominance they once had in the past - particularly the glorious golden era of their first digital system circa 1980s.

With sales registering at just under half of what it was a decade ago, Marklin can no longer pretend that it has the economic scale to pretend to be able to dominate the market for digital equipment, model trains in 4 different gauges, and rails at the same time.

These are all different markets and left Marklin with less flexibility to adapt to the market.

What if I want a full sound in this model and not an el-cheapo sound module? Does it mean I have to pay for another full sound decoder? Oh, wait, Marklin never sell a specific sound decoder with the sounds that I wanted. Why didn't they ever do it? (oh, yeah, because we only produce in MFX and noone wants them other than Marklin customers.. who are, er... stuck with 'em)

Why is CS2 has limited compatibility with CS1? Wait, why do Marklin wants me to buy a CS2 when my CS1 is only 3 to 4 years old?

Why can't they have a large steamer with tender in their hobby range?

All frustrating and confusing issues that often pop in our heads. In the mean time, sales are slipping to more flexible independent suppliers.

Imagine Microsoft building their own internet, software, and hardware under the same roof. Or Toyota building every single component in one of their cars single-handedly.
Would any of these companies succeed in their endevours?

ESU, Peco, or the well managed Hornby has a single main difference: all these companies have only a single core product that they concentrated on.
Everyone working for these companies, I would imagine, know exactly what their company are focusing on.

Now imagine you are working for Marklin; would you have a clear idea of what market the company want to concentrate?

Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline GG1 Fan  
#140 Posted : 14 December 2010 23:54:45(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Tim,
There is a company that does you you describe: Produce the top quality hardware, most of the software, and it's products are the end results of a global supply chain. This company is called Apple Computer. :)

It can be done, if the leadership has a dynamic understanding of the market place and is willing to take chances on innovation.

Looks like digital is a doubble edge sword for Marklin. Once the digital secrets are understood, production and product development become 'easy'.

The look of Marklin's 2010 catalogue is outstanding, in my opinion. Too bad to hear that they have gotten the 'bells and whistles' wrong. Imbarassing, since it is a RR Model company after all :)

As far as 'scale' and markets, it seems that the model RR companines are responding to customer preferences. While most of us are sticking with HO, there are enough who want a smaller scale and I hear that the large 'Garden RR' is becoming popular.

(Don't get my started on how Marklin has screwed up the North American market and all those spend a fortune and get 'insider' models..that extortion never works)

Paul
Offline TimR  
#141 Posted : 15 December 2010 00:42:53(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
GG1 Fan wrote:
Tim,
There is a company that does you you describe: Produce the top quality hardware, most of the software, and it's products are the end results of a global supply chain. This company is called Apple Computer. :)

The Mac was almost destroyed in the 1990s owing to the raise of the much more flexible and customizable PCs.. The rise and rise of Microsoft Windows and Intel Pentium did the rest - again both are single-focused companies.(think of it as the equivalent of the rise of DCC in MRR vs Marklin digital).

Current gen iMac already uses Intel processors as opposed to Apple designed processors (if you can't beat e'm, join e'm). During the transition period, Mac also began to use mundane things like USB connectors etc.. 3rd party software are now easier to use with Mac too.
In short, the current iMac has evolved from the old days.

Despite the success of current gen iMac, there is no way that the Mac would ever hope to dominate the PC market like it did in the 1980s, and the Apple management are of course realistic about that.

Even more important to note is that nowadays Apple has branched out with the like of iPod, iPad, and iPhone - and not relying solely on the Mac range to drive up its sales - and critics note that all these had some sort of halo effect on Mac sales as well.

In Marklin terms - the above is the equivalent of inventing some sort of Toy with the success potential of Lego (very unlikely).

In short, the story of Apple is a story of a company that is successful in reinventing itself.
As much as I like Mr Pluta, he is not Carlos Ghosn or Steve Jobs - so the Apple success story is so far off Marklin for comparison.

Another consideration:
eventually (and arguably) everyone on Earth have a need for a computer; but only a small percentage would ever need to buy expensive model trains.
The resulting economic scale is of course, altogether different again. The Mac capturing only about 5% of the world's PC market still represent a market value many times the size of Marklin's.
Offline river6109  
#142 Posted : 15 December 2010 02:07:28(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Märklin has over the many years, since production has started, many followers.

You can't exclude or include the many changes this hobby has encountered over the years and this has effected the modeltrain market.
Not long ago we all set by a typewriter and when we finished our assignment, we posted it.
Today, markets, correspondence and consumer items move very quick around the world and unless you are able to adapt your self to such a vast growing technology of moving parts, producing products and market them in such a fashion everyone is aware of your product, your market share is collapsing to such a degree, your investment is no longer able to support these products.
We've said many times before, the modeltrain market has shifted and dwindled and it is not going to get healthier.
We are an aging population whereas before our fathers and grandparents gave as presents, consisting mainly of modeltrains.

The financial hardship Märklin has encountered has never and will never be solved or replaced with plenty off, it will be for many years in a limping mode and unless prices come down to a realistic level, there will be more fatalities in this industry.

The Märklin- ESU relationship didn't last for long and the end result of the new digital system was something of a nightmare but not only contained to Märklin.

ESU may finish up the same way of expanding or expanded very quickly and it would depend what their investment outlay consists of, since the day, Märklin and now Roco has abandoned them.
There are other sound decoder manufactures on the market and time will tell how ESU can adapt themselves to allegedly shrinking sales.

Coming out of insolvency is a sign of stability but no way a sign of triumph or full steam ahead.
The company will be marked for years by being very careful of how they spend any surplus money they may enjoy and any investment into new technology will be looked at from companies who can supply this technology with caution.

John

Offline GG1 Fan  
#143 Posted : 15 December 2010 08:11:08(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Tim-
My Apple:Marklin comparison was made only to point out that a company can have a successful buisness plan of 'locking' their customers into their entire product line.

If one buys a Marklin loco, them by default the track, transformer, switches, signals, digital stuff, et. al. must also be bought from Marklin. Apple is 'almost' the same way if you buy their computers. And like Marklin, bad management decisions and investment in unproven technology almost killed Apple.

What killed model trains? We all know.

Most of us are at an age where we remember the 60's-70's when 'THE' thing to have around Christmas time was a model train set. It was one of the origional high tech Interactive Virtual Reality things for kids and adults. Marklin was the best.

By the early 80's, that 'Virtual Thing' had become Atari, which was later over taken by other game systems. Trains had become 'quaint' objects. But, look at kids now. Who among them knows how to build things, put stuff together and make it work, experience the joy of going from plan to working model?

Of all the other fathers I have spoken too....all of them think 'Trains' are a great idea for their kids. But, what family would spend $500+ on kids toys, even though those toys are precison made objects?

A good Marklin starter set that I've senn will start at about $250, with digital controler, and go up from there. Ok, that is competitave with the PS3/Xbox. Hobby stores in the CT area are on the come back, a good thing. I remember that the FAO Schwarts store in NYC carried Marklin trains and serviced them. That's gone and needs to come back, either at FAO or some other big name retailer.

(God, I did not know Marklin owes 90+ million....)

Paul

Offline TimR  
#144 Posted : 15 December 2010 09:04:31(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
GG1 Fan wrote:
Tim-
My Apple:Marklin comparison was made only to point out that a company can have a successful buisness plan of 'locking' their customers into their entire product line.

If one buys a Marklin loco, them by default the track, transformer, switches, signals, digital stuff, et. al. must also be bought from Marklin. Apple is 'almost' the same way if you buy their computers. And like Marklin, bad management decisions and investment in unproven technology almost killed Apple.

Hi Paul,
My point was in the end, despite their greater financial resources (compared to Marklin), it didn't work for Apple.
True, that they kept their reputation as makers of premium PCs, but they never came to dominate the market like they used too... that time had passed.
they were forced to make compromise from their original philosophy in terms of PC business;
And, they were also forced to diversify from the PC business to be where they are at the moment...

Apple nowadays is more renowned for their iPads and iPods more so than their iMacs.
Anyone buying an iPod will not be compelled to buy an iMac. It doesn't work like that anymore.

The point was that a single strategy of trying to "lock in" your customer with your own products will never work,
this was what Apple tried and failed..
You are basically trying to challenge the combined creativity might of the entire world... guess who will win in the end?

The current iMac are even hackable and can even be made to run Microsoft Windows. Talk about exclusivity...

Noone else in the PC business did what Apple tried..
Intel was concentrating on processors, while Microsoft was concentrating on its operating system; and both came to dominate the respective market. Their success, lays with their ability to synergize their strategy with the PC industry, and in cooperation with other PC component makers/sellers.

Marklin OTOH was still trying to out-Apple the old Apple.

Sometimes it's better to be good at just one thing, and do it good enough to better most others and make profit (example: Dell - synergizes Internet and PC assembly) rather than trying to be the best of everything for the sake of it and suffer...

So guess which one will last the test of time? MFX or DCC?

GG1 Fan wrote:

What killed model trains? We all know.

True.. MRR is a dying breed of toys... this is a given.
But does Marklin management even recognize this as a fact?

Their strategy surely didn't reflect that.

Offline old toot  
#145 Posted : 15 December 2010 12:57:10(UTC)
old toot

New Zealand   
well
I have no trouble selling Marklin in fact it is easier to sell
in times of hardship because people are looking for quality
and want to get the best for their 100 or 300 dollars
and if the dealer has the full range and parts stock
that alone gives the customer confidence of backup
not like so many toy shops who want quick buck and staff
no nothing about what they are selling
It is the good stores with a high level of service
and knowledge that customers are buying from like
ballentynes here in christchurch staff that remember
your name and what you bought makes customers feel special
today retail is detail and marklin users are no differant
and the marklin stores that are going well are the ones
that are doing that
its interesting that the group pluta pushed are sueing their
advisers for 38 million what they took in three years so prehaps
pluta has demanded it back no company doing 120 million turnover
could take 38 million being taken out of the company in 3 year
so despite that Marklin has done well and will never produce
what everyone wants that particular year thats life and business
merry chrismas all and may your stocking be full of Marklin
old toot
were we pickit, packit and postit
Offline kevwill  
#146 Posted : 15 December 2010 16:22:25(UTC)
kevwill

If Marklin just listened to there loyal customers and actually implement some of these ideas i'm sure it would help.
Are the management of Marklin actaully model rail enthusiates, i would never employ someone who knew nothing of my product and had no new ideas on how to take the product forward and compete but still be the best.
My wife bought me a Marklin starter set about 5 years ago and i've loved the product and Marklin since.I love being an Insider Club member even though i just recieve nothing but the magazine, but i still feel special and valued when the magazine drops on my doormat.
My question is basically do the people who run Marklin, have the passion needed to take it forward, or do they just see the monthly pay packet as what really matters.

Kevin
My wife, children, and all my friends, think as i'm into Model trains, i'm very boring and should grow up. NEVER NEVER!!!
Offline steventrain  
#147 Posted : 19 December 2010 10:49:15(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Märklin investigated the connecting train - continue uncertain.

http://translate.googleu...yG4Ay7ffMZFn5six8yeK7NBQ

'Dealers complain about delays in delivery, particularly among LGB and Trix brands that are produced abroad'.

Offline H0  
#148 Posted : 19 December 2010 12:57:13(UTC)
H0

steventrain wrote:
Märklin investigated the connecting train - continue uncertain.

Media people say: "Only bad news are good news!"

Decision about the insolvency plan will be made on December 21 (this is known since December 7). Pluta says the majority of creditors support the plan.
So I hope there is nothing to worry about.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline nilkram58  
#149 Posted : 19 December 2010 21:00:48(UTC)
nilkram58

Greece   
According to the Google translation, as far as I can understand, (sorry but my German are very poor!) Pluta's proposal is calling for a haircut (partial repayment of debt) and probably a debt to equity conversion of the major debt holders, namely, Kreissparkasse Göppingen and Landesbank Baden-Württemberg, which will end up as the majority shareholders of the company. Not a bad situation, if of course, the proposal is accepted by the rest of the lenders. Usually a strong majority is required, for e.g. here in Greece the law is called for the 75% of the lenders. I do not know what is valid for Germany. But in any case, if the haircut is accepted, then the interest paid by Marklin yearly will be reduced dramatically, and will allow the Company to come back to real profits and secure its future. Let's see what Santa Claus will bring to the company, and its employees.
Akis
Offline David Dewar  
#150 Posted : 19 December 2010 21:51:26(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
We can only hope. I would sell Trix and LGB if anybody would buy the brands. Concentrate on Marklin HO and also Spur 1 (sorry but I would also stop Z gauge) Marklin needs to be smaller but also to expand overseas sales with high quality items along with a few of the Hobby range for younger folk (just in case the loco bounces off the floor)
This is an expensive hobby and does not require a constant stream of new items which appear for 12 months or less then disappear. And if the firm wants to run an overseas Insider Club then at least get somebody to do it properly.

dave