Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MEng  
#1 Posted : 29 December 2003 23:44:10(UTC)
MEng

ok this is a topic that im still confused about. i dont understand the differences i guess, is DCC the same as AC? if soueone could clear up this grey area for me that would be greatly appreciated biggrin

thanks all
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#2 Posted : 30 December 2003 00:14:46(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

No.
DCC is a standard describing mainly how the locos on track get their power and their info on how to act. DCC is a competitor to Märklin, who has it's own spec (unofficial) spec for this. Both are called digitals protocols, as well as some other of minor importance. Electrically these digital signals look rather similair, but the coding they contain is different.

Digital signals may be called AC in that the polarity changes from plus to minus all the time; however, AC is normally used for a sinus shaped signal. And the digital signal is square, with the length in time of the pulses varying.

If you tell more about why you ask, I'm sure we'll be able to answer more to the point.

Regards,
Lars Westerlind.
Offline Charlie  
#3 Posted : 30 December 2003 00:18:40(UTC)
Charlie

Ha! Let me try and confuse you more. In plain terms:

You have Direct Current (DC) and Alternating Current (AC). For example, a regular 1.5 volt battery, or a car battery is DC. Your wall outlet provides AC.

DC (powered) trains are most common. They run on your regular two rails with DC current. One rail is positive, the other negative. Most Walmart (and better) trains are DC.

AC powered trains use three rails, and Marklin uses this system. The center rail (or spikes) are used, together with both rails. Center provides (AC) power, the outer rails are the return.

---Digital---

DCC is a digital format, used with DC trains. The digital format that Marklin uses for their 3 rail setup, is often referred to as Motorola system.

I am sure the rest of the forum will have many corrections and additions Smile

Charlie
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Charlie
Offline rugauger  
#4 Posted : 30 December 2003 00:57:24(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
OK, here's my two pennies worth...wink

We're OK and AC and DC (I thinkwink).

DCC and Marklin/Motorola are more like "languages", I would say. As long as your locos understand the right language, you can control them using DCC or M/Motorola. Some people even have a "multilingual" layout where some of their locos understand DCC and some understand M/Motorola.

Well, that's how I see it anyway...biggrin
Richard
Offline MEng  
#5 Posted : 30 December 2003 06:29:56(UTC)
MEng

ok i think i get a vague picture of what you're all trying to say...so it's my understanding from what u said that DCC and AC loks can run on the same type of track?!?

srry just tryin to get a clear picture haha :)
Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 30 December 2003 09:58:42(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Nup.. DCC and Marklin Digital can run on the same type of track... The reason for this is that the physical delivery of DCC and Marklin Digital (Motorola) is through decoders within the loco and a control unit (Intellibox) that can speak more than one language (DCC, Motorola and Seletrix for example).. If the DCC decoder is installed in a Marklin locomotive then this can work, but a normal DC loco with a DCC decoder cannot run on the Marklin track.

DC trains cannot run on AC track (three rails AND AC VOLTAGE) AND AC trains cannot run on DC track (two rails and DC Voltage).
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline McLae  
#7 Posted : 30 December 2003 10:11:13(UTC)
McLae

The ETE group make modules with K-track. They wire the track so that each rail and the center studs can be powered seperatly. They set the rails to ground, and the studs to power and run Marklin Loks. Or they power the rails only and run Roco (DCC) 2-rail Loks on the same track.
With My IB, I can specify which Lok has which decoder type (Marklin or DCC), as long as the Loks are 3-rail. The IB can control both types at the same time. I could connect my IB to Roco(or Peco or Atlas) track and control DCC loks with the same controler.
DCC is very similar to Marklin's Motorola format (sort of like American and Aussie dialects).Cool
99% of DCC Loks run on 2-rail track, same as the old DC Loks, but the signal is AC, just like the 3-rail power. You still have all the old polarity problems with 2-rail, but the track is easier to make.

If this is not too much information, e-mail me offline and I will give you more information.[}:)]
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#8 Posted : 30 December 2003 11:10:34(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

xxup is right.
But it IS complicated, because there are lot's of compatibility solutions. For example, a Märklin decoder may also be run on a traditional AC track, and a DCC decoder loco may also be run on a traditional DC track. Märklin traditional analog locos may be run on any kind of current, AC, DC or digital, but it's more difficult to reverse them (they need a voltage pulse of about 24 V of any kind).

There are no standard solutions of DC on three rail track, nor AC on two rail track, but there is nothing that hinders you to use that, or to do as ETE did.

/Lars
Offline acastell  
#9 Posted : 01 January 2004 01:43:04(UTC)
acastell

You might give a look at this interesting site , I think is one of the most complete on the DCC subject :

http://www.wiringfordcc.com

Ciao and Happy New Year !!

Andrea
Offline MEng  
#10 Posted : 01 January 2004 04:03:04(UTC)
MEng

hey guys just want to say thanks for all the help and HAPPY NEW YEAR have a great one!

matt