Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dandrikop  
#1 Posted : 19 December 2007 12:59:51(UTC)
dandrikop

I have an "ICE 2", 29785, and I'm trying to fit interior lighting in middle wagon. I used two pieces of the lighting kit "73400" and a pickup shoe taken from a "7330" lighting kit.

The pickup shoe was steadily hooked under the wagon. However, when passing from turnouts and crossings, the wagon goes off the rail. This happens because turnouts and crossings have taller pins (center feeder line), and as a result, the long pickup shoe hits the wagon's chassis.

Has anyone tried to fit interior lighting in such a train? Should I use another pickup shoe which may be shorter?
Offline Hemmerich  
#2 Posted : 19 December 2007 20:25:53(UTC)
Hemmerich

Hi,

there are several options.

1) use current conducting couplers. Their benefit is, besides not needing a slider under every car, that you could switch the lights by a function output from the engine's decoder.

2) use the slightly asymetric #73404 (or #418100, from the kits #7330/7335) and rework it such that the shorter slider #7175 can be mounted there. Those sliders only have 43mm which fits at the ICE cars. Here a quick demo picture how this would look like:

UserPostedImage

PS: the only pickup shoe with a short slider I know of is #73406, but that's too much asymetric for this car.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 20 December 2007 11:52:20(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I have a similar set, but I'm feeding the coach lighting from the pickup shoe on the loco, via some contacts I'm making and fitting to the couplers.

The decoder in the loco doesn't seem to have a spare function output, so I may eventually fit a Lokpilot or Loksound decoder, and feed the train lighting from a spare function output. I'm using the 73400 lighting set in the coaches.
Offline dandrikop  
#4 Posted : 28 December 2007 15:11:40(UTC)
dandrikop

Hello Hemmerich,

I just saw the picture you upload and figured out that I have eventually done the same thing. Namely, I have taken the base from a pickup shoe like the one contained in 7330 lighting kit, and adjusted the pickup shoe from the 73404 kit. The pickup shoe seemed to be stable though it could fasten as it should on the base.

Of course my first choice was to use current-conducting couplers but people in a local Marklin shop said that the current-conducting couplers of 39711 couldn't fit 29785. Have you actually tried the solution with the current-conducting couplers?

BR,
Dimitris
Offline dandrikop  
#5 Posted : 28 December 2007 15:13:26(UTC)
dandrikop

Hello Hemmerich,

I just saw the picture you upload and figured out that I have eventually done the same thing. Namely, I have taken the base from a pickup shoe like the one contained in 7330 lighting kit, and adjusted the pickup shoe from the 73404 kit. The pickup shoe seemed to be stable though it could NOT fasten as it should on the base.

Of course my first choice was to use current-conducting couplers but people in a local Marklin shop said that the current-conducting couplers of 39711 couldn't fit 29785. Have you actually tried the solution with the current-conducting couplers?

BR,
Dimitris
Offline WelshMatt  
#6 Posted : 28 December 2007 15:32:01(UTC)
WelshMatt

You could always use those little sockets like Marklin fit on the ends of the 73400 boards - I forget what their technical name is but they're cheap and reasonably unobtrusive.

May not be the best source, but Rapid Online in the UK have them here:
http://www.rapidonline.c...ckets&moduleno=63758

Just cut the strip into lengths of two pins, then use one pair as the plug and another as the socket. You might want to use a bit of heatshrink sleeving to keep it all neat. Rapid Online have een a pleasure to deal with on the occasions when I've used them.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline adrian  
#7 Posted : 04 January 2008 22:50:57(UTC)
adrian

Thank you for the tip, Lutz.
I did it in a slight different way, I was using the most unsimetrical pick up shoe (I don't have the original packaging, so I can't remember the item number) and turn it 180 degrees. A drop of super glue solved the stability problem.
I have used 2 and 1/2 73400 for lighting the whole wagon.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Adrian
Offline foumaro  
#8 Posted : 05 January 2008 05:43:42(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Very nice result,congratulations.biggrin
Offline Hemmerich  
#9 Posted : 05 January 2008 22:59:38(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by adrian
<br />Thank you for the tip, Lutz.
I did it in a slight different way, I was using the most unsimetrical pick up shoe (I don't have the original packaging, so I can't remember the item number) and turn it 180 degrees. A drop of super glue solved the stability problem.
I have used 2 and 1/2 73400 for lighting the whole wagon.

Hi Adrian,

you're welcome! Smile

The number you most likely used was #73406 (which is mainly being used for the new 282mm cars and has the same contact shoe length as the one from my picture above.

I just finished the conversion of the same Hobby ICE (#29875) to HLA, but with mfx Sound (ESU #62467). Different to your method, I used the new white LED strip #73401 (1-1/2 in the steering car and 2 in the middle car) and the car lights can be switched by the loco decoder (which saves me the need for any pickup shoe(s) at the intermediate car(s).

The result looks like this: wink

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Offline adrian  
#10 Posted : 06 January 2008 00:42:35(UTC)
adrian

Hi Lutz,
Thank you for the wellcome and again for the tip. I had the parts at home for a few months, but never taught that I can modify the pick up shoes. Here is a picture with the original part I used. (I have to check the invoices, it might be from a double deck lightning kit)
UserPostedImage
As long as I do not have a permanent layout I had to use the pick up shoes for every car.
Again you had a very good idea by using a mfx decoder with sound. Can you give me more details? Part no. and so on. I would like to do the same.
I would like to change the colour of the front lights from the last wagon from yellow to red. Is it realistic? (I was travelling only one time by ICE and on that time I did not paid attention to such details)
After one day working and some beers here is the resoult.
UserPostedImage
Looking forward for your feed back,
Adrian
Offline Hemmerich  
#11 Posted : 06 January 2008 18:19:40(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
Here is a picture with the original part I used. (I have to check the invoices, it might be from a double deck lightning kit)

No need to check your invoices - it's #73406. Smile
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Again you had a very good idea by using a mfx decoder with sound. Can you give me more details? Part no. and so on. I would like to do the same.

It's rather easy to accomplish, if you're willing to spend the money for the sound decoder. I simply used the pcb with NEM socket from the ICE loco starter set #29795 and did the corresponding wiring (needless to say, the motor had to be converted to HLA). I also used the electric conducting couplings; you'll find those part numbers with every standard ICE model, like #3770, 37712, etc, but for the couplings of the Hobby ICE cars you could also just mount the contacts. I wired the two cars compatible with those "high value" cars, so you can expand the train with them easily.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I would like to change the colour of the front lights from the last wagon from yellow to red. Is it realistic? (I was traveling only one time by ICE and on that time I did not paid attention to such details)

The steering car of set #29785 usually has already direction dependent lights, switched by the wellknown little axle contacts. There are different options to make this light also switchable by the/a decoder; there is only the need of a stabilized voltage for the light switching transistors on the interface pcb (which is supplied by the decoder).
Same is the case for direction dependent slider switching (ESU offers the corresponding pcb). Another improvement of this train could be done for the front windows, etc.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:After one day working and some beers here is the result.

Very nice already! Congratulation!!! wink
Offline Bob R  
#12 Posted : 06 January 2008 21:15:51(UTC)
Bob R

Lutz,

In regards to this conversion (I have the same ICE Train) What is the part number of the new Green Board Thingy that you converted to? As well do you have a picture of the Original Green Board thingy before you converted it? Also do you have any more pictures of this conversion?

Bob R

Quote:
Originally posted by Hemmerich

UserPostedImage

Offline adrian  
#13 Posted : 06 January 2008 22:28:49(UTC)
adrian

Hi Lutz,
It seems still a lot of work and money needed to build a nice model.
Now some stupid questions from a beginer:
- what does it mean to convert the motor to HLA?
- my steering cars are not equiped with direction dependent switches, just pick up shoes and ground contacts. Are those switches available as spare parts?
- I have seen that there are available a lot of decoders from ESU. To me, it make sense to buy such decoders in case of covertion from FX to mFX. I have some locos allready fitted with mFX decoders (37631 and 37433)but no sound. Do you know a cheaper way to fit a sound module on a loco with Mfx decoder?
- can you recomend a ESU dealer in Germany? There are two in RO, but ususly they have sky high prices and long delivery times.
Thank you,
Adrian
Offline nevw  
#14 Posted : 07 January 2008 00:29:12(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
<br />Hi Lutz,
It seems still a lot of work and money needed to build a nice model.
Now some stupid questions from a beginer:
- what does it mean to convert the motor to HLA?
- my steering cars are not equiped with direction dependent switches, just pick up shoes and ground contacts. Are those switches available as spare parts?
- I have seen that there are available a lot of decoders from ESU. To me, it make sense to buy such decoders in case of covertion from FX to mFX. I have some locos allready fitted with mFX decoders (37631 and 37433)but no sound. Do you know a cheaper way to fit a sound module on a loco with Mfx decoder?
- can you recomend a ESU dealer in Germany? There are two in RO, but ususly they have sky high prices and long delivery times.
Thank you,
Adrian

TRy Lokshop.
N
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Hemmerich  
#15 Posted : 07 January 2008 00:37:55(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bob R
In regards to this conversion (I have the same ICE Train) What is the part number of the new Green Board Thingy that you converted to?

Hi Bob and Adrian,

the part# is 610739; if you have this ICE (#29795), you should also be able to find the pcb# in the spare parts drawing of the associated usage booklet.wink
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:As well do you have a picture of the Original Green Board thingy before you converted it? Also do you have any more pictures of this conversion?

No (assuming you mean this delta decoder pcb #603729). As you can see on the picture I just unsoldered the few wires going to the slider (black, soldered at the wire pad on the left side, just above the pad for the catenary contact), ground (brown), motor (black, blue, green) and LED pcb (violet, gray and yellow). There is nothing more and I felt it being simple enough to recall the wiring again later by this picture. Smile

As known, this Hobby ICE version came just with the standard 3-pole DCM; that's why it is also neccessary to convert it to a 5-pole HLA in conjunction with the new pcb and the sound decoder (but a "normal" decoder with NEM plugs would be ok too if the sound version isn't desired, like ESU #61600).

Märklin uses a dedicated "simple" decoder (#100295) together with this pcb in their ICE model #29795; the advantage there is that the required stabilized voltage is already provided (brown wire from the decoder). In essence, this ICE model would be even a better basis for a sound conversion since it comes already with a HLA. See also next picture.
UserPostedImage

The bottom view of the pcb with my conversion looks as follows.

UserPostedImage

Adrian,

your steering car (and most likely the whole ICE-2 model) is probably not #29785, but rather #29795, which has indeed no direction dependent LED switching, but rather this one here:

UserPostedImage

You'll find the switching parts within the explosion drawing of the ICE model #37712 (the LED pcb itself has already the two red LED's).

Hope this helps you in succeeding also with your conversions.wink
Offline mmervine  
#16 Posted : 07 January 2008 00:50:20(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Lutz:

As always, thanks for the great information. I am going to add a conversion like this for my Delta ICE2 to my project list.

Thanks!!!

r/mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline Bob R  
#17 Posted : 07 January 2008 22:17:45(UTC)
Bob R

Hi Lutz,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate you doing so. This particular train is kind of special to me. It was the first Marklin train I purchased for myself. It was 29786. It contained all the stuff to get up and going in the big expensive world of Marklin.

I would like to convert it to a pure digital train as you did. So correct me if I am wrong but all I need to do is order the following parts?

1 610739 PCB?
2 100295

I cannot find the original pamplet that came with the set (it is here somewhere, the question being where?) Neither will it come up on the marklin.de website. No pictures, nothing except 4 parts.

I did notice you added another part in a later picture. Some sort of speaker module of some sort? One type of speaker in one photo then a later conversion perhaps?

One last question (promise) where did you find the type of current conducting couplers for the ICE Train and cars?

Thank you Lutz,

Bob R
Offline adrian  
#18 Posted : 07 January 2008 23:04:59(UTC)
adrian

Hi Lutz,
I did some homework and I have found out the following:
- I can't use the part list from #37712 because there is no drawing and my German language is limited to the basic (pils, noch eine, schnapps) so I couldn't understood too much.
- the model I have is different than yours, mine is #36711.
UserPostedImage
- the steering wagon is ended as you described.
If not abusing too much from your time, please let me know:
- do I need to convert this motor too (existing part no 408905) in case that I will use a ESU mfx decoder? What parts do I need to convert the motor?
- what parts do I need for switching the lights? (directional switch)
- what is the part number for current conducting couples (W and Y). I have two trains, one of them I equipped with pick up shoes, the second one I want to use current conducting couples.
Thank you,
Adrian

New,
thank you for the link. They have a lot of stuff and they are a litle bit cheaper than LackyLock, which I am using in the present
Offline Hemmerich  
#19 Posted : 08 January 2008 17:32:10(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bob R
So correct me if I am wrong but all I need to do is order the following parts?
1 29795
2 100295

No Bob! Smile

#29795 is the complete ICE-2, #100295 is the "simple" decoder used within #29795.

For your train conversion you'll need the interface pcb #610739 from set #29795 which I mentioned and showed already above. You will also need the HLA motor parts (magnet #389000, rotor #386820, motor cover #386940 and inductors #515520). You can then mount any decoder with an 8-pin NEM plug (#100295 from set #29795 is just one of them); I used a ESU mfx sound decoder with ICE sounds. If full sound is too expensive, mounting just the single shot pcb and 16Ohm LS from set #29795 is also a possible alternative; the four pieces have the part #519000, #508607, #207648 and #206749.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I cannot find the original pamplet that came with the set (it is here somewhere, the question being where?) Neither will it come up on the marklin.de website. No pictures, nothing except 4 parts.

Never mind. The booklet for set #29785 has part #603731 wink
Märklin's website today indeed shows only the remaining standard service parts for this train.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I did notice you added another part in a later picture. Some sort of speaker module of some sort? One type of speaker in one photo then a later conversion perhaps?

The two pictures above show a) the ICE engine #29875 converted with a ESU mfx sound decoder with its 23mm 100Ohm LS and b) the original engine from #29795.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:One last question (promise) where did you find the type of current conducting couplers for the ICE Train and cars?

Very easy - in the explosion drawings of set #37712, as well the reversing contact stuff in the steering car that Adrian asked for. And - needless to say, also from Märklin's excellent service people.Smile

If you want to have current conducting couplers with your Hobby ICE's you have two choices:

a) replace the couplers with those from the "high value" product line
(part numbers #395640, #374340 (2) and #374060) or
b) mount the corresponding contacts to the original couplers (each one #374090/#374100 for every coupling).

For the steering car light reversing; there are again different options:

a) switch the LED's using a decoder
b) use the well known Märklin mechanical reversing wheel contacts. They have part #574058 (contact holder), #574059 (contacts, two needed) and #310880 (contact spring). You will also either need a second pcb #109421 for the "white" LED's or -preferably - the dedicated light switching pcb #603588, which is used in #37712 and several other steering cars.

If you have any further question, don't hesitate to ask. wink

BTW: I did/will not buy any spare parts at LokShop since their prices are quite higher than those of my dealers here. For comparison you might also want to compare with the spare parts of Bahnhoefle.de.

PS: Sorry, there was a typo in the part#'s for the current conducting contacts. The correct numbers are #374090 and #374100. As long as the orignal coupling still has the two studs you can mount the contacts easily (use a soldering iron and a flat screwdriver). When done it looks like one the second picture (there with the coupling for the ICE engine).

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Offline Bob R  
#20 Posted : 08 January 2008 17:40:01(UTC)
Bob R

Lutz,

Once again thank you for the wealth of information! I appreciate it and that clears a lot of stuff up. I just ordered the PCB and other parts. Hopefully they will be on the way soon!

Once again Thank you Lutz, without your help this conversion would probably never get done.

Bob
Offline Hemmerich  
#21 Posted : 08 January 2008 18:31:46(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
<br />Hi Lutz,
I did some homework and I have found out the following:
- I can't use the part list from #37712 because there is no drawing and my German language is limited to the basic (pils, noch eine, schnapps) so I couldn't understood too much.
- the model I have is different than yours, mine is #36711.

Hi Adrian,

You did some good homework (but there is much more than just pils, etc.) biggrin

your model has a complete different construction than the one for which I described the conversion. There is no need to change the motor of your ICE (since it is already a DC motor). If you still want to change it to mfx sound, you might take a look at the thread where the mfx sound conversion of the Superman loco was discussed; for your ICE you could basically use the same interface pcb with NEM socket as it is used in those locos.

Your other questions were IMHO already answered in my reply to Bob.

Enjoy your models and improvements (as much as I do).[:p]
Offline adrian  
#22 Posted : 09 January 2008 00:20:20(UTC)
adrian

Hi Lutz,
Thank you for the advices.
I was searching through the forum for Superman conversion. I couldn't find the topic, but I found a topic concerning the BR 81 001 #36320. The motor is exacly the same like in ICE2 I have. Shall I understand that I can't use the ESU mfx decoder? I haven't read carefully, my enthusiasm suddenly dropped down when I saw what motor I have. At the end of the day I paid peanuts, I got peanuts!
Please advice, I want to obtain a nice model.
Villen Danke,
Adrian
Offline Hemmerich  
#23 Posted : 09 January 2008 15:55:33(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
I couldn't find the topic

Hi Adrian,

how about this one? (the title gives the hint; Looney Tunes and Superman locos are basically the same, like any TRAXX and Hercules loco)wink
https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...7&SearchTerms=611654

You'll just need the interface pcb #611654 that I showed on my pics. Wiring the front LED pcb to the ifc pcb should be straight forward (you can then also use the existing red LED).
Offline adrian  
#24 Posted : 09 January 2008 21:26:44(UTC)
adrian

Hi Lutz,
Thank you for the info. I will order the pcb and the mfx decoder for the first set. If I will be sucessfully with the conversion I will convert the second one in a diesel model.
I will keep you informed.
It is my pleasure to offer you a beer when I will be next time in Germany. BTW I will be in Munich area on 18th and 23rd of January.
Best regards from snowy Bucharest,
Adrian
Offline mmervine  
#25 Posted : 10 January 2008 01:00:37(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Lutz:

One final question...

do you know the part number for the copper grounding strip for the ICE wheels?

r/mark
Offline Bob R  
#26 Posted : 10 January 2008 19:22:18(UTC)
Bob R

PCB ordered 2 days ago. The motor on the ICE Train has already been changed out. I have the correct Decoder. Just waiting on the PCB. Apparently Marklin USA has it in stock. Goodie for me.... Will keep all updated as this goes along.

Bob R
Offline Hemmerich  
#27 Posted : 11 January 2008 00:55:56(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mmervine
<br />Lutz:

One final question... do you know the part number for the copper grounding strip for the ICE wheels?

Hi Mark,

Sure! Smile #210240; it's length is 38mm.

UserPostedImage

#291180 with 30mm is also suitable; just the middle cutout is slightly out of the center. wink

UserPostedImage

Again, for such kinds of conversion items I can just recommend you to take a look at the valuable explosion drawings of the high-end ICE model #37712 - which is for example included also in the 1997 Märklin spare parts CD.

Offline mmervine  
#28 Posted : 11 January 2008 01:05:51(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Lutz:

Thanks again!

r/mark
Offline Hemmerich  
#29 Posted : 12 January 2008 21:11:24(UTC)
Hemmerich

Here a few more pics which might be helpful.

First the one Bob had asked for earlier showing the engine with the original (DELTA) decoder mounted.

UserPostedImage

The following two showing the steering car with the LED reversing parts (these were actually factory built-in with the first delivered sets #29785 like shown here).

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Offline adrian  
#30 Posted : 13 January 2008 14:11:35(UTC)
adrian

Hi Lutz,
Again stupid questions from Romania;
- On Marklin shop as well as on loksop or bahnhoefle, the part no 310880 is not available. On the other hand I bought two months agao a steering car #43303 which have the same contact springs. It is hard to believe that this part is no more available at Marklin. Of course there is no drawing and spare parts list for the #43303 wagon. Do you know the equivalent part no for 310880 or from where I can buy it?
- using 2 pcs of 374090 and 374100 for each wagon is possible to have two separate circuits.(eg. one for interior lighting and one for the steering car) Am I right?
Best regards,
Adrian
Offline Hemmerich  
#31 Posted : 13 January 2008 16:19:59(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
It is hard to believe that this part is no more available at Marklin.

The fact that the Märklin traffic light for this spare part shows red doesn't necessarily mean that it will be no longer available - just be patient or ask the spare parts service directly.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Do you know the equivalent part no for 310880

I'm not aware of any other part number. I solely buy my spare parts from my local dealers here who don't sell aboard; very rarely I also buy some special parts from ETS (only if they have it in stock).
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:- using 2 pcs of 374090 and 374100 for each wagon is possible to have two separate circuits.(eg. one for interior lighting and one for the steering car) Am I right?

Yes. Normally one connection is used for the car interior light and the other for the slider supply between the steering car and the engine. If you don't have a slider reversing circuit in the engine you might use it for any other purpose.

Hope this helped. wink
Offline Bob R  
#32 Posted : 13 March 2008 20:50:25(UTC)
Bob R

I have installed the Marklin PCB that Lutz used in his conversion. Train runs good. However the only problem I have now is that I have no Lights. I am using a Loksound 62431 MFX Decoder. As I mentioned it does run perfectly, but no Lights. Switching Directions does not help.

Does anyone have any idea as to why?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
Offline adrian  
#33 Posted : 14 March 2008 23:43:27(UTC)
adrian

I finally got all the parts for converting the ICE 2 from fx to mfx. Still missing the contact holders, but this are necessary for the steering car.
The problem is that I do not have any instructions (pcb #611654 and ESU #62647). I got only German language from ESU.
I suppose that I should connect a wire for the red light from the middle point of the light block to somewhere to the pcb, but I have no idea where. Also I can only guess that the connection points must be some of the ones I numbered in the second picture.
I suppose that the red and brown wires for power supply, should be connected as I have indicated, but this is only a guess.
What is the usage of the violet wire from ESU decoder?
May I have some tips from anyone of you with more experience than I have?
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Thank you,
Adrian
Offline adrian  
#34 Posted : 16 March 2008 11:55:46(UTC)
adrian

I couldn't resist, so in this morning I was connecting the wires by guessing. The power, sounds and motor are OK. I couldn't fit the speaker from ESU (23 mm, 100 ohm, 0.5W) and I kept the original one which is 32 ohm, 0.5W.
The only problem are is the lightening. The lights are not working at all, even I was trying to use lights with connecting strips, as Lutz described at "Sounds and Looney Tunes Locomotive".
Probably I have the same problem like Bob.
Adrian
Offline mmervine  
#35 Posted : 16 March 2008 15:45:57(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Adrian:

To prevent damaging your Loksound decoder, you need to use a 100ohm speaker! I also noticed in your photo that you have the decoder plugging in incorectly to the board. Pin 1 is the orange and you need to rotate the plug 180 degrees.

r/mark
Offline adrian  
#36 Posted : 16 March 2008 19:15:30(UTC)
adrian

Big Thank yoy, Mark.
Now it is working, the sound and movement are really nice, totaly different than before. I haven't run the locomotive at all, so by chance the decoder is still OK.
I will order a new speaker, 100 ohm.
I have tested the lights with a stripe conected lights. The one I have from another locomotive it is only yellow light. There are four conectionns, the side ones are conected together in the stripe. How shall I connect the ones from ICE in order to obtain direction dependent lights? (yellow forward, red backward)
Adrian
Offline mmervine  
#37 Posted : 16 March 2008 19:32:14(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Adrian:

The Hobby ICE only has white forward lights. You will need to solder the wires for the forward lights. Check and see if they are leds or bulbs. It will make a difference where to connect them at.

You may want to try to get the light parts from the Delta or starter version of the ICE as those have white/red forward/reverse lights.

r/mark
Offline adrian  
#38 Posted : 16 March 2008 20:12:31(UTC)
adrian

Mark,

I am almost sure that there are LED lights.
The middle connection point is almost for sure for red light.
Please advice how shall I connect.
Thank you,
Adrian

UserPostedImage

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 14:02:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mmervine  
#39 Posted : 16 March 2008 20:47:01(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Adrian:

I would agree that these are LED's. The English manual for the Loksound 3.5 can be found here:

http://www.loksound.de/us/index.php?showId=28

Hopefully Lutz can confirm, but it looks to me like you will need to solder the lead (gray wire) for the forward (white light) to the bottom metal just to the right of the black connector for the 'ribbon' light connector. The return lead (brown wire) should be connected to the the top metal.

To add the red lights, you should add a wire from the upper connector (reverse light) to the center of the light board.

I have not yet done this conversion on my ICE, so I would again ask Lutz or another member to confirm.

By the way, the violet wire on the Loksound is for AUX2 and not needed on this conversion.

r/mark

Offline adrian  
#40 Posted : 18 March 2008 12:23:59(UTC)
adrian

Mark,

I got the manuals for loksound, thank you for the link. I was using esu.eu, only german language there.

It seems that soldering is not that easy, and for me still not clear where I should connect the wires. I will take a photo in the afternoon and I will post it here. I have two left hands and this is the first conversion I am atempting to do.

Do you know if there is a part with ribbon leds (red and white)? It would very easy to connect.

Thank you,
Adrian
Offline adrian  
#41 Posted : 23 March 2008 04:51:12(UTC)
adrian

Mark,

After burning two lights, still no resoult.

The circuit consisting of gray wire and orange one should get the withe lights, and the circuit consisting of gray wire and the middle point (should be a yellow wire) should get the red lights. Am I right? The point is that I can't get the red lights.

Than I shoud conncect somehow the white light circuit to the front lights connection and the red light circuit to the back light connection.

UserPostedImage

1+2 and 3+4 should be connected together (following the stripe logic)

May I connect the wires on the back side of the light connector?

How shall I do it? I do not afford to burn more lights?
Thank you,
Adrian

Offline adrian  
#42 Posted : 23 March 2008 19:38:34(UTC)
adrian

I have opened one of the burned lights and I think I have founded out why I can't get red lights: the pcb I have are designed only for white light. The part # I have is 107609 both at the locomotive and steering car.
To my mind for the second light colour it should exist a second connection in the left bottom side of the picture.
UserPostedImage
Can anyone let me know the part no of the pcb with red and white lights?
Thank you,
Adrian
Offline Hemmerich  
#43 Posted : 25 March 2008 23:22:27(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
<br />I have opened one of the burned lights and I think I have founded out why I can't get red lights: the pcb I have are designed only for white light. The part # I have is 107609 both at the locomotive and steering car.

Correct, Adrian. You can see this by the missing components for the rear light function on the decoder pcb. wink
Can anyone let me know the part no of the pcb with red and white lights?

Try #574006. wink
Offline gachar001  
#44 Posted : 19 May 2008 20:05:46(UTC)
gachar001

India   
I was installing interior lighting on my ICE2 (29797). On the center car, I was trying to install a slightly asymmetric pickup shoe (73404) as shown in Lutz's picture above. But the pickup shoe is too big. As a temperory fix I brought a black wire from the steering car to this car using a miniature plug. The lights work but the plug keeps coming loose.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline spitzenklasse  
#45 Posted : 20 May 2008 20:20:26(UTC)
spitzenklasse

I see it has the same motor as the ICE 3. Very good lighting work guy's.
Offline Hemmerich  
#46 Posted : 20 May 2008 23:22:15(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by gachar001
On the center car, I was trying to install a slightly asymmetric pickup shoe (73404) as shown in Lutz's picture above. But the pickup shoe is too big.

That's why I wrote that the slider itself must be replaced by the shorter one from the pickup shoe set #7175. wink