Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Philpion  
#1 Posted : 29 May 2015 01:02:19(UTC)
Philpion

United States   
Hello,

My son would a genesis P42 and it seems that Kato has some nice ones.
What would it take to convert it for Marklin?

I would probably start with an analogue (like 37-6102) as they are easier to find used.

I will then add a ESU loksound decoder. It seems that there is quite some space in the middle of the loco for the 3rd rail installation.

Should I then wire the decoder like how I would do for Marklin loco?

I have read here and there (but not found a clear tutorial) that the wheels need to be changed. Could somebody advice a part number?

Once, the installation is done, I have a loksound programmer to reprogram the loco.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Philippe
Offline Hackcell  
#2 Posted : 29 May 2015 01:11:30(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: Philpion Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I would probably start with an analogue (like 37-6102) as they are easier to find used.

I will then add a ESU loksound decoder. It seems that there is quite some space in the middle of the loco for the 3rd rail installation.

I have read here and there (but not found a clear tutorial) that the wheels need to be changed. Could somebody advice a part number?

Once, the installation is done, I have a loksound programmer to reprogram the loco.

Philippe

Hi,

If you Kato loco is DCC, there is no need to get another decoder. installing a pickup shoe with its respective wiring it shouldn't be a hell of an issue. What it makes me wonder is the wheel profile. As I want to convert (athearn) US diesel locomotives I ordered online a NEM 310 wheel profiler tool. It will allow me to build my own NEM wheels.
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline DamonKelly  
#3 Posted : 29 May 2015 11:49:48(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   

It seems that there is quite some space in the middle of the loco for the 3rd rail installation.

Philippe

I have the Kato Genesis P42. It is a fine model! I'm currently running it on a temporary 2 rail track, controlled by a CS2.

The problem with this is that when the loco is on a curve (especially R1 or R2), the pickup shoe is no longer over the studs, and may even touch the rails.

There is very little clearance under the bogies, due to the fact the motors are actually in the bogies.

I am thinking about putting the shoe under the from bogie of the following baggage wagon, and rigging up a plug and socket to the loco.
Cheers,
Damon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DamonKelly
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 29 May 2015 19:58:41(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hello,

Philippe

Hello Philippe
I have done quite a few Kato US locos conversions to Märklin 3-rail system, both for customers and my own collection..

Installing the pick up is **not** trivial.

After many years of trials and errors, the only viable solution I have settled for is:

1° Disabling one of the power bogie (=removing the gears) to find space for the pick up shoe, then adding some custom hardware to fit the slider.
2° Fitting 4 wheels of the remaining powered bogie with traction tires. This means taking the wheels off the axles and cutting a groove on the lathe to install the tires, then re-assemble with accurate spacing on a wheel press

Some locos worked well with their original RP 25 wheels (like my EMD GP-35) , some didn't (like the EMD F-3 A and B) Don't know why. Just a fact.

In that case, I replaced the original RP25 wheels by ROCO NEM wheels (easy to get and cheap, and above all the right diameter) , which then implied cutting all new axles to fit these to the Kato bogie .

Sometimes also then, small adjustments to the bogies' frames details (like brake shoes) may be required.

Not overly complicated, just a somewaht long and meticulous process.

Result is a loco with superior performance to the original (at least twice the pulling power) and smoother than most Märklin locos.

If any 2-rail locos deserve all that fuss to run on a Märklin layout, Katos are the ones!

Pictures available if you are interested.

Cheers

Jacques

PS: I no longer perform these "surgeries" professionally!!

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Hackcell  
#5 Posted : 29 May 2015 23:07:52(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Philippe

Hello Philippe
I have done quite a few Kato US locos conversions to Märklin 3-rail system, both for customers and my own collection..

Installing the pick up is **not** trivial.

After many years of trials and errors, the only viable solution I have settled for is:

1° Disabling one of the power bogie (=removing the gears) to find space for the pick up shoe, then adding some custom hardware to fit the slider.
2° Fitting 4 wheels of the remaining powered bogie with traction tires. This means taking the wheels off the axles and cutting a groove on the lathe to install the tires, then re-assemble with accurate spacing on a wheel press

Some locos worked well with their original RP 25 wheels (like my EMD GP-35) , some didn't (like the EMD F-3 A and B) Don't know why. Just a fact.

In that case, I replaced the original RP25 wheels by ROCO NEM wheels (easy to get and cheap, and above all the right diameter) , which then implied cutting all new axles to fit these to the Kato bogie .

Sometimes also then, small adjustments to the bogies' frames details (like brake shoes) may be required.

Not overly complicated, just a somewaht long and meticulous process.

Result is a loco with superior performance to the original (at least twice the pulling power) and smoother than most Märklin locos.

If any 2-rail locos deserve all that fuss to run on a Märklin layout, Katos are the ones!

Pictures available if you are interested.

Cheers

Jacques

PS: I no longer perform these "surgeries" professionally!!

I'm interested in watching some pictures of the surgeries :-)))

Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline Philpion  
#6 Posted : 02 June 2015 03:03:40(UTC)
Philpion

United States   
Jacques,

Some pictures would be great to have.

Merci!