Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline witzlerh  
#1 Posted : 18 April 2012 05:07:18(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
This year on April 21 & 22, 2012 we have the SuperTrain show in Calgary, Alberta.

Jeff Stimson from Märklin USA will be there! You will find him at the HobbyTech booth.

Edited by user 21 April 2017 05:13:36(UTC)  | Reason: New date

Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline witzlerh  
#2 Posted : 24 April 2012 18:31:16(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
The SuperTrain show in Calgary this weekend was a huge success.
Vistor response to the Märklin MyWorld children's start set was very positive. Sold about 7 sets as compared to 1-2 at previous shows.

I was also able to show to many experienced North American railroaders that Märklin Trix is a great product. Many still think that Märklin is still AC but are plesantly surprised that the digital system is similar to DCC. Some are thinking about the CS2 now.

Märklin was well represented as we had Jeff Stimson from Märklin there!
Harald
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 25 April 2012 12:00:48(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Any pictures?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Ian555  
#4 Posted : 25 April 2012 16:37:27(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Harald,

Sounds like you all had a great weekend, like Stephen said, any photo's.

Ian.

Offline witzlerh  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2012 06:13:59(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Ok. A Marklinist did eventually send some pix of the Calgary show but my computer is not operational now. Just posting with the IPod.
Next week will post a lot.

This weekend there is a model train show in Edmonton Alberta. It is held at the Mayfield convention center Saturday and Sunday (Sept 15 & 16) from 10 till 5.
Marklin will be well represented there. I will be volunteering with my dealer.
I will be manning the MyWorld table to get kids to play with electric trains while most of the show says hands off!
If you are in the neighborhood drop on by. There will be some Marklin and Trix there.
Harald
Offline old toot  
#6 Posted : 15 September 2012 05:17:37(UTC)
old toot

New Zealand   
hi Harald
greetings from Christchurch new Zealand the home of rocking earthquakes
great to hear you had a good time at the show and they New trainsets for the kids
are really great .
Just out of interest did you have a set, up and running along with your display so parents could
see what they were investing into and do you think that helped you to sell more?
we have working layouts in store here and they make it easy for parents to see
if their child can handle the operation and it closes sales for us.
We have two shows coming up in the next 5 weeks one here in Christchurch on Oct 6th and 7th and than
end of October in the Hutt Valley at Wellington which is always a big show and
well attended
The Next years's show here in Christchurch will be on Labour weekend and will be a very big one as
It will be 150 Years Celebration of Railways in N Z and the Ferrymead Train village will be the Hub for that
and has steam trains, trams railways sheds and a whole colonial village so it will be a big year and if any one
is thinking of heading this way next year it would be a great event to drop in on.
We are looking to see if someone From Marklin could come out as the Maker of model trains for over 150 years
to celebrate with us in our 150 years we think that would be fitting .
we keep selling we need to bring the next generation into world of Marklin trains
all the best
Bryan old toot
were we pickit, packit and postit
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by old toot
hgk
Offline Hoover007  
#7 Posted : 16 September 2012 04:46:20(UTC)
Hoover007

Does the Mayfield still have that awesome Sunday buffet??

Have a great show.

Robert.

Former Edmontonian who opted for +40 instead of - 40 Cool
Offline witzlerh  
#8 Posted : 16 September 2012 14:25:16(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Robert. Yep, they still have the great buffets, leaving now for breakfast before the show.
Bryan. There was not much room to put a table in the Marklin section in the store but the show organizers allowed us to place it in the layout section across the aisle. We had even more kids play with it and and a few paying parents! Lots of positives from organizers and crowd!

Edited by user 08 November 2012 01:00:05(UTC)  | Reason: Update

Harald
Offline witzlerh  
#9 Posted : 08 November 2012 02:13:31(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Finally I found and uploaded the pictures from the show. However the photographer was not that skilled but I think that you will get the picture...

Last April we had the SuperTrain model train show in Calgary, Alberta.
The Calgary Eurorail Express (CEE) along with Hobby Tech Canada showed off a few things Marklin.

UserPostedImage

We had the push pull layout that has full scenery. We have a small train that shuttles back and forth with changing of signals and switches.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

We had our 9m long high speed loop with R4&5 loops at the end which was great in showing off the ICE and TGV. Some members could assemble a very long train. We also put together some double headers. The star of the show was the rail zeppilin that someone converted from analog but did not set the top speed. At full throttle, she could fly off the R4 curves.

UserPostedImage

One of our members collects and runs the old Marklin O gauge.

UserPostedImage

Next show is on April 20 & 21, 2013

Edited by user 11 April 2013 14:32:46(UTC)  | Reason: Update title

Harald
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#10 Posted : 08 November 2012 07:14:13(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Fantastic photos, thanks for sharing!

I think I recognize that old Marklin O Gauge layout...I don't believe there are too many large gauge Marklin collectors in Canada (same in US) so the owner is probably who I think it is. We ought to convince him to become a member of this forum!

Best regards,

Paul
Offline steventrain  
#11 Posted : 08 November 2012 20:17:40(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very good, Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Ian555  
#12 Posted : 09 November 2012 18:58:03(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Harald,

Thanks for the photo's of the show. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline witzlerh  
#13 Posted : 11 April 2013 14:58:17(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
April 20 & 21
For those that live or can get to Calgary in southern Alberta in western Canada,
SUPERTRAIN 2013 that weekend. It is arguably Canada's largest train show.

Marklin will be well represented there via Hobby Tech. Across the aisle will be three Marklin layouts, a fully scenic and automated push-pull layout, a vintage O-gauge layout and a my world layout that the kids, young and old can play with.

The my world layout will have 4 loops. 1 loop with a battery operated high speed passenger, one loop with battery operated freight train, and 2 loops running various Marklin digital start sets.

All are available for the public to run. This layout is my idea and when I first started it 2 years ago with a simple loop, a lot of people, young and old, had fun with it. Several people commented that despite the excellent show, this simple layout was the only one that could be played with.

In Edmonton last year we expanded the layout and moved it into the club layout show space and were at times mobbed. We even had a train show director helping out. We got honourable mention that this layout was an excellent introduction to the world of model trains. BigGrin. The G scale group now has a small layout loop for the kids to play with too!

Kids playing with trains at a train show,..... What a novel idea......

The digital trains are all mine and are all from previous Marklin start sets, although I did upgrade the motor and put in a sound decoder in the ICE1.

I will take pictures and post them in a timely matter this time. Hope to see you at the show!
Harald
Offline baggio  
#14 Posted : 12 April 2013 03:46:19(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
VERY nice.

I see that someone loves speed as I do, since he did not set the top speed. BigGrin

I need to ask: "Many still think that Märklin is still AC but are plesantly surprised that the digital system is similar to DCC. "

Are you saying I could use a DCC loco on my digital track? (I, too, thought it had AC current.)

Thank you for the pictures.
Offline witzlerh  
#15 Posted : 12 April 2013 04:31:57(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Mfx (Motorola used by Marklin) and DCC have the same primary power and base protocol or base language. Just that they are different dialects and hence do not understand each other. Fortunately the new multi protocol decoders can recognize the difference and use the dialect it was programmed to listen to. Just note that DCC is very loud and dominant but mfx allows conversation ( feedback).
Harald
Offline baggio  
#16 Posted : 12 April 2013 05:08:07(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
Mfx (Motorola used by Marklin) and DCC have the same primary power and base protocol or base language. Just that they are different dialects and hence do not understand each other. Fortunately the new multi protocol decoders can recognize the difference and use the dialect it was programmed to listen to. Just note that DCC is very loud and dominant but mfx allows conversation ( feedback).

I appreciate the answer, but I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT. Sad

If I buy a DCC loco, can I use it on my crude digital set that has a remote control and no mobile station? Somehow I doubt it. However, if you could clarify the point, I would appreciate it. THANKS.
Offline witzlerh  
#17 Posted : 12 April 2013 05:44:09(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Ok I will try to simplify.
In the early days of digital, there were a lot of individual and proprietary protocols. Fx by Motorola, Rocomaus, selectrix etc. had their own protocols and were not compatible with each other. North America saw this coming and has a couple of their own proprietary protocols too. Fortunately NMRA got organized and set up a committee to develop the open source DCC protocol. This is now a popular protocol as many smaller manufactures could now make digital loks (decoders).

One thing that everyone agreed to was a common power requirement. I think that it is DC with AC type digital signal superimposed to communicate and power the loks. ( I could have it backwards but it is not important, what is important is that they are the same among protocols for raw power. I can take the same two wire that power the Marklin 3rail and also run a 2rail with the same control.

Later ESU and others came along and offered controllers that are multi-protocol. They can communicate in DCC, fx, mfx, selectrix etc. so that the controllers can run several different brands of loks or more specifically, the different brands of decoders inside the loks. You always have the choice to set one or selected protocols for easier communications if you wish.

Now you can even get decoders that can also communicate in mult-protocols, but you pick the protocol at the time of programming.

Now to your specific question. The older Marklin digital start sets only offered fx controllers and you could only run fx loks with them. Your crude digital set is most likely fx only (DELTA). Later mfx controllers and decoders could also speak fx and work with each other. MS1 can do this. Now we have CS2 and MS2 that can handle fx, mfx AND DCC as well.

Any newer lok that has mfx will also work with the old fx, but you may have to program the mfx to one of the four addresses that were available with the old system. However a DCC only decoder will not work with the old fx or DELTA system. That being said, I did hear that some brand new decoders are multi-protocol and may recognize the protocol and self program the protocol, or at least allow you to pick. It cuts down on decoder inventory so that they don't have to build stock several protocols of inventory.

I may not be exact with all the descriptions but I hope you are less confused.
Harald
Offline witzlerh  
#18 Posted : 31 August 2013 16:49:36(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
For those who are in Alberta, or will be visiting, there will be the Greater Edmonton Train Show on September 20 and 21st. (Saturday and Sunday).
The location has been changed to the Millennium Place in Sherwood Park. We will finally have the soft floor of 2 indoor soccer (football for rest of world) fields ( rinks compared to rest of world).

Marklin will be well represented there through my dealer HobbyTech Canada.
I will also have a Marklin layout at the show and will allow kids young and old to run trains.

For those NA guys that think that it is just for kids, they can also have the challenge to see if they can operate the BR 64 in mfx+ in profi mode without running out off consumables and be able to stop exactly at a station! It is not easy and that is the fun challenge for me.

The kids will have an MS1 to run a train and I will supervise with my iPad Main Station.

If you are in the neighbourhood, come on by!
Harald
Offline witzlerh  
#19 Posted : 25 September 2013 16:53:23(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
This past weekend we had an excellent model train show in Edmonton (Sherwood Park, a suburb of Edmonton to be more exact).
Attendance was a little down but concidering the nice weather and the forced move (the usual convention center was torn down...), it was a succesful move.

The layout was next to the Hobby Tech store, the local Märklin dealer up from Calgary. (When it comes to Märklin in Canada, any store within 400 km is localFlapper ).

I designed the 3 loop figure 8 and we also had 3 loops of the battery operated my world layout. The younger kids played with the battery operated my world start sets (2 freight loops and one TGV) and the older kids (up to 89years old) played with 2 of the digital trains using the MS1. The outer loop of the figure 8 was 2 rail and we had a MS2 for that but the MS2 allowed too much freedom for inexperienced fingers so we moved it back behind the table. All MS were connected to my CS2 and I used my iPad to keep an eye on things while I could wander in the crowd to answer questions.

We used 3% ramps from Woodland Scienics and placed map pins to form the ramp to the track. The bridge was almost a meter long and constructed with the Märklin Metal. (Märklin's answer to Mecano). The center track is supported with stir sticks between the ramps. We sold some track when people saw how sturdy the C track was....

We had about 8 major derailments, 5 of them mine or the other operator's fault. We either did bad switching to swap trains out or we had too long of a train and had a power fluctuation causing the cars to whiplash on the curves. One was caused by a guest moving a switch lever (will remove them as there were switch motors/decoders in the track bed). and 2 were caused by elbows and arms reaching and pointing and fowling the track, hence the green tape that did help keep the hands back.

It took about 3 hours to set up as the table had to fit in a curved booth and 1.5 hours to take down.

17 my world sets were sold at the show. I had some little helpers (we all wore red shirts) help me at the show. Those little helpers are an attraction on their own as nothing beats, kids showing other kids how to have fun!

Next show will be SUPERTRAIN in Calgary, weekend of April 12 and 13, 2014. We are planning to be there showing Märklin!

Will post pictures and layout diagram within a day.

Edited by user 17 March 2014 19:54:31(UTC)  | Reason: Title update

File Attachment(s):
MyWorld L21 2d.pdf (91kb) downloaded 26 time(s).
witzlerh attached the following image(s):
GETS 2013 The little controller s.jpg
GETS 2013 Loop s.jpg
Harald
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline witzlerh  
#20 Posted : 17 March 2014 20:10:13(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Canada's largest train show (SUPERTRAIN) is in Calgary April 12 & 13. Marklin/ TRIX will be there and I will have a Marklin layout for the public to run Marklin with. ZIMO rep is going to be there but I do not yet see the ESU rep on the Exhibitor list but he has been there the last 3 shows.

It is located at Calgary Soccer Centre 7000 - 78 Street SE. Hours are 9-5.

This year we will have TRIX N scale to show in addition to 3 battery train loops and 3 HO scale loops that kids, young and old, can play with.

I will bring by mfx+ BR64 there and anyone that wants to try the mfx+ can do so upon request.

If you can come, stop by the CEE (Calgary EuroRail Express) layout next to HobbyTech.
Harald
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#21 Posted : 18 March 2014 00:40:47(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
I will bring my NS ICE-3M and the NS Koploper ICM 4.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Wildrose-Wally
Offline witzlerh  
#22 Posted : 20 August 2014 15:59:14(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Marklin will be showing in the Greater Edmonton Train Show in Sherwood Park (just east of Edmonton AB).
on the weekend of September 20th and 21st.

I will have a my world and HO digital layouts for the public to run on.
Hobby Tech from Calgary is planning to be there and will have some Marklin stock brought up.
I will try to remember to take pictures and post them this time.

Edited by user 24 November 2014 04:41:03(UTC)  | Reason: Bumped topic to next year

Harald
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#23 Posted : 24 November 2014 02:57:03(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
SUPERTRAIN
will be at the
Genesis Centre
7555 Falconridge Blvd NE
April 18 & 19, 2015

http://www.supertrain.ca/index.html
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Wildrose-Wally
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#24 Posted : 14 February 2015 15:26:09(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Wildrose-Wally
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#25 Posted : 11 April 2015 18:46:20(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
I was wondering, do we have any other members from Alberta (or Western Canada), and are you coming?

If you are we should have a sit down and have some coffee together. Smile
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Wildrose-Wally
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#26 Posted : 18 April 2015 12:50:21(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
Today. BigGrin
UserPostedImage
Offline witzlerh  
#27 Posted : 26 May 2015 00:18:15(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Well another good show went well in Calgary last month but it was not perfect....several of us forgot cameras....Blushing

On Saturday we had some ICE, TEE time with the RAm, Northlander, Roland and the Reingold running with a mix of ICE 1, ICE2, ICE3 and ICE-T.

We had a good assortment of trains going both days with 2 and 3 rail. We even set up the Märklin Catenary system and it looked good. However we did not have the pantographs up. Installation was not perfect and after the 2nd mast was snagged, the pantographs were kept down...however a couple were forgotten at times and managed to get 3 m before we noticed...

Sunday we had a Taurus double M.U. pulling a 4 m long steel train. This train far exceeded NMRA weight recommendations for cars......
This layout was powered by my CS2 for 3 rail and another member's Z21.

There was an N scale urban layout powered by an ESU controller so there were a few of us running around with i devices and showing the crowds.
It sure makes the North American DCC community jealous as they are still running around with Digitrax cab units that only have F#'s

Some pictures are available on the Facebook (Calgary EuroRail Express).
Harald
Offline witzlerh  
#28 Posted : 26 May 2015 00:25:40(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
And for the first time in a long time, there will be a CEE (Calgary Eurorail Express) meet Saturday June 13th in Calgary.
The High Speed loop will be set up along with N scale and my world for the little ones.

The HS loop will be C track with 2 and 3 rail with either or both tracks on CS2, ESU or Z21.

10 am to 5pm
Revolve Industries
8616 - 44 street SE
Calgary Albera

Please PM me to RSVP no later than June 9th so that wurst can be ordered. $5.

Edited by user 01 March 2016 03:11:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Harald
Offline witzlerh  
#29 Posted : 01 March 2016 03:25:36(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Mark down April 16 and 17th in Calgary for SUPERTRAIN 2016. Canada's largest train show!

It is held for the 2nd time at the larger and nicer new location;

Genesis Centre
7555 Falconridge Blvd NE #10, Calgary, AB

Märklin will be well represented next to Hobby Tech Canada.
We are planning on having a high speed loop on C track on 2 and 3 rail. We are even planning on having functioning catenary!
Members of the CEE will bring trains to run but if you are interested in running trains, let me know and you can run your trains too. PM me.

Also, we will have a myworld layout with myworld battery operated trains and mystart digital trains for the public to run.

Also, we will have an N scale urban layout.

HobbyTech will have some Märklin, Trix and other European stock but only a small portion of his European inventory will be there.
If you want something or to look at something, check HobbyTech.ca website, see what Johnny has in stock, and email Johnny and he can bring it to the show.

I will have my CS2 there with the latest updates so you can bring your MS2 to get updated.

We will have the CS2 and ESU central stations. We may have a Z21 as well for anyone looking into getting one of the best digital stations on the market.
Harald
Offline witzlerh  
#30 Posted : 01 March 2016 03:43:16(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
A few weeks ago in Edmonton, my NA club got a call to do a presentation for kids at the Symphony.

The Edmonton Symphony Orchestra does a series catered to kids and this time the theme was Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
They would play selections from Polar Express, Disney's Pixar movie Cars, Star Wars....

When I got wind of this request, I had less than a week to plan the event.

We got a simple loop of a DC Canadian Train, and the throttle was available for the kids.
We also set up a switching puzzle where people would be given instructions to shuffle cars to their respective spots.
I focused on getting a couple of my start loops going of Märklin trains for the kids to run and also had a small static display.

It took 2.5 hrs to set up, we showed for 2 hrs and took an hour to tear down. Everyone loved it! We were mobbed!

Murphy's law did rear it's head...but in a funny way.
I had a BR64 that has mfx+ and I had a smoker installed but it was not working well. I tried to get it going a couple weeks ago but to no avail so I forgot about it.

Come time for this showing, the trains were running and I had turned away to talk to someone...then there was a bunch of oohs and aahhs. The BR64 was smoking like crazy!Woot One problem....I did not get permission to smoke from the ESO!!!Scared

I then kept a sharp eye on my iPad and turned off the smoker when I saw it turned on. Eventually it ran out of oil....

I talked to the organizer after and she was concerned at the first big cloud but then I explained what happened and what it does and she appreciated that I kept it to a minimum. She did not mind the smoke but was not sure how sensitive the smoke detectors above us were.....Scared
I have since found out that there was a grounding issue in the BR64 and solved it.

Enjoy the pix!

For the switching puzzle, we had a NA train we were going to use but lok was very tempermental. I ended up using a Fleishmann BR81 with the harbour train set.
Harald
Offline kimballthurlow  
#31 Posted : 01 March 2016 11:04:44(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Harald,
Great story about the symphony, thanks.

By the way, what is the NA Club?

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline witzlerh  
#32 Posted : 01 March 2016 14:57:52(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I belong to a North American railway club called the Edmonton Model Railway Association (EMRA).

We have a permanent layout that is large. In late 1800's a line that was chartered but never build between Castlegar and Vernon BC through the Monashee Mountains. We decided to build it in HO scale.

See www.emra.club for more information.
Harald
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline witzlerh  
#33 Posted : 12 April 2016 17:30:46(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
We are now a few days away from Canada's largest model railway show...SUPERTRAIN 2016 held in Calgary April 16 and 17.

Marklin will be well represented by Hobby Tech and by the CEE (Calgary Eurorail Express)

I am all packed and ready to go. My feature layout is a my world / my start layout. We will have 3 battery operated trains that the kids can play with and then have 2 loops where older kids (8 and up) can run trains with the MS1 controllers.

We will also have a High Speed loop where we can run 2 and 3 rail trains. It is a 9m long dog bone with sidings. Hopefully we will have the 3 rail loop under live wires as we are going to set up the Catenary.

I will have my CS2 with the latest updates so if anyone is coming and wants their MS2 updated, bring it and jack it in. If it has not been updated for a long time, write down the addresses as there may be a full reset involved.

I will bring my camera and take lots of pictures and post them. You can also follow the CEE on facebook.
Harald
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline witzlerh  
#34 Posted : 21 April 2017 05:12:57(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Hello Marklinists! I have been out of circulation for a while as I have moved within my town but then was laid off due to the slowdown in the Oil and Gas Industry.
However I did find work again last September and have been busy since.

Marklin will be showing off again at SUPERTRAIN this weekend in Calagary Alberta at the Genesis centre.

I will take some pix and post them later.

There will be a High speed loop and one member did get his ICE3 going at prototypical speed......
There will be an N scale layout,
There will be a my world layout with 3 loops for the kids to play with,
There will be a mystart layout with 2 loops that will have Marklin trains running and some will even be allowed to be run by the audience!
There will be a PIKO G scale loop going which is new for us.

And of course the local Marklin dealer will be there as well!
Harald