Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline walters48  
#1 Posted : 20 May 2015 22:34:44(UTC)
walters48

United States   
My beloved old HO SET800/3011 just up and stopped running-- no crash, no trauma, no rollover, no got stuck on the points, no drop off the table. I've tried the usual fixes: cleaned wheels, new brushes, new slider, and adjustment of reversing mechanism arm and spring ...all to no avail.
So I decided to send it off to Eckhert Engineering for an overhaul @ $39 plus $9 for return S&H.
Sounds like a very comprehensive overhaul well beyond my skill set... they take the motor apart to resurface the commutator and clean up all that mess inside the motor among other things.
Before I mail it off, I wanted to get some candid input from our members to see if anyone has used Eckhart Engineering for HO loco repair and what they thought of the service.
Thank you,
Chas Walters
Offline petestra  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2015 22:39:18(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Walter. I have bought items from Eckert on ebay and his service is very good. I did not know he did repairs. I have used Scott at Helmut's Hobby Specialties

since 1991 and he is excellent. He's never let me down. Peter Cool
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 21 May 2015 03:03:55(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Walter, did the loco stop suddenly or came slowly to a halt ? its not always the brushes and it shouldn't be the reversing unit if it worked all right before, so this wouldn't need any adjustments. has there any work done previously to your loco before it stopped working. you would have to have the loco running for a long long time for it to break down like this.
they are normally a sturdy loco and I had mine for years, although I got them new. make sure there isn't a wire loose, , the solenoid magnet has 4 wires coming off, one each for the direction of travel they go to the reversing unit on each side and than you got 2 wires winded together coming off the inner solenoid of the magnet and they go to the right hand of the brush plate. its even better if you got a diagram of the wiring and I'm sure its available somewhere.
the maintenance charged most probably doe's not include parts and this could get expensive, I would rather find out first what is wrong with the loco and than get parts maybe from this forum ( I have plenty) and trying to fix it this way, this is if you are able to do so otherwise suppose there is no option but to send it to a repair shop.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 22 May 2015 03:38:33(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
You should be able to follow John's suggestions about checking the wire. We had one incident with an older model where one of the wires between the reverse unit and the motor needed to be re-soldered in place. Did you also check to see whether you had inadvertently switched the locomotive into catenary mode?

Regards

Mike C
Offline walters48  
#5 Posted : 22 May 2015 19:33:52(UTC)
walters48

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
You should be able to follow John's suggestions about checking the wire. We had one incident with an older model where one of the wires between the reverse unit and the motor needed to be re-soldered in place. Did you also check to see whether you had inadvertently switched the locomotive into catenary mode?

Regards

Mike C

That, Mike C., is an excellent point about accidentally moving the catenary switch from rail power pick up to catenary power pickup. As I remember that switch was a vertically actuated slide switch that moved up and down w/ very little force. I wish I would have thought of it before I posted my lok. I did, however, carefully check all wire connections on the motor and backup unit and they were all secure
My thanks to all for your thoughtful replies. I will report back after resolving this issue.
Regards, Chas
Offline analogmike  
#6 Posted : 23 May 2015 03:12:47(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
hello chas; i had one lok that did this and found the contact on the catenary lever would only make if i touched it. i inserted a thin brass shim between the contacts and all is ok now. have you tried setting the lok on the track (body shell removed), turn up the track voltage and poke around a bit? if that don't work you'll need an ohm meter and follow the circuit from the shoe to the motor and back to ground. it's not as difficult as it sounds. mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .