Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dave Banks  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2015 08:03:38(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi all, Wondering if any can help me with this loco rescue. It is #39572 that has befallen to the voltage issue that they are well known for. I am unable to obtain the mother board or of its sister #39573 with board No:606233.
I have had to order a new bogie so I can use a high propulsion motor.(Old bogie motor screws just do not line up.I am going to use an ESU M4 #62400 sound decoder. I have made up my own board to house the roof lighting two contact tabs. Now my issue is how to wire up the Led's front & rear & what resistors do you recommend & how many do I need? I really would have liked to just get another motherboard albeit for a model like #37575 but nobody has one. If someone has pictures of such a conversion it would be most appreciated. Like they say a picture speaks a thousand words. Attached is a picture of the loco's demise.

UserPostedImage
D.A.Banks
Offline PJMärklin  
#2 Posted : 13 May 2015 12:58:40(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: DaveB Go to Quoted Post
Hi all, Wondering if any can help me with this loco rescue. It is #39572 that has befallen to the voltage issue that they are well known for. I am unable to obtain the mother board or of its sister #39573 with board No:606233.
I have had to order a new bogie so I can use a high propulsion motor.(Old bogie motor screws just do not line up.I am going to use an ESU M4 #62400 sound decoder. I have made up my own board to house the roof lighting two contact tabs. Now my issue is how to wire up the Led's front & rear & what resistors do you recommend & how many do I need? I really would have liked to just get another motherboard albeit for a model like #37575 but nobody has one. If someone has pictures of such a conversion it would be most appreciated. Like they say a picture speaks a thousand words. Attached is a picture of the loco's demise.

Hello Dave,

I have installed a few ESU decoders in kaputt Märklins.
One expert on this is Matt who I think has converted all his Märklins to ESU.

AFAIK the connections re lights etc are same for LokSound V4.0 as are for LokSound V4.0 M4.
The instructions are downloads and are very detailed, I think this will show you all you need : http://www.esu.eu/en/dow...anuals/digital-decoders/

Some specifics from the manual in regard to your enquiries :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Hope this helps,

Regards,

PJ
Offline biedmatt  
#3 Posted : 13 May 2015 13:32:19(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hi Dave, PJ has linked the necessary diagrams for the decoder. He is correct, the M4 and standard V4 wire the same. I would use the 21 pin adapter board. It makes future decoder replacement much easier. You must use a dropping resistor to prevent damage to the LEDs. 1000 ohms to 2000 ohms will work. You do not need anything that can dissipate a lot of power. 1/8 watt is okay for a couple LEDs, at four or more I would uprate the resistor to 1/4 watt.

http://www.esu.eu/en/pro...nen/21mtc-adapter-board/
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline Dave Banks  
#4 Posted : 13 May 2015 13:33:39(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello PJ, many thanks for reply. I will go over this with a fine tooth comb. Just awaiting the bogie's arrival from DE to get going.

Kind regards

Dave (Gold Coast)
D.A.Banks
Offline Dave Banks  
#5 Posted : 13 May 2015 13:42:13(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi Matt, If I went into Jaycar what exactly would I ask them for? This led front & rear has three wires each. ones I have at present are 1.2 KOHM for single LED & 1.0 KOHM for two LED'S in series. Can I use any of these & if so which?

Cheers

Dave...
D.A.Banks
Offline biedmatt  
#6 Posted : 13 May 2015 14:03:38(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I wouldn't go lower than 1k ohms. Below that you are flirting with disaster and stand a good chance of burning LEDs. They do not cost much, but the surface mount devices (SMD) can be agravating to solder. I do mine while wearing a magnifying visor and temporarily hold the LED to my workbench with two face tape. It keeps the LEDs from moving around as you try to solder the wires to them. The 1.2k ohm should work fine.

If you are refering to Marklin's circuit board for head and taillamps with three wires, look closely at the board. They usually put the dropping resistors needed on the board. If you see some other devices besides the LEDs, they are most likely resistors. There would be no reason to put anything other than the LEDs and resistor on the board.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline GLI  
#7 Posted : 13 May 2015 14:08:05(UTC)
GLI

Hello Dave

I only use ESU decoders to convert my Marklin locos to DCC. I always replace the light bulbs with LEDs, and use the 1/4 watt 1K ohm resistors from Jaycar which I wire into the blue common return wire of the decoder. The 1K ohm resistors you already have should be quite adequate for your purposes.

Geoff
Offline Dave Banks  
#8 Posted : 13 May 2015 23:27:44(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi Matt & Geoff, many thanks for your reply. So I only need one resistor on the blue line out of each Led Board as opposed to one on one on the grey wire & one on the yellow wire. Would that be correct?

Have you guys got any clear pictures on this matter on a loco you have converted please?

One last thing, the dome lights on the BR103 as seen on the picture, can I just wire the Blue wire to the +ve side & aux wire to the other sde without using any resistors or do I need to put a resistor on the blue cable first?

Cheers

Dave...

BR103a

BR103b
D.A.Banks
Offline biedmatt  
#9 Posted : 14 May 2015 00:04:51(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
If the blue wire is the positive (+) common for the two sets of LEDs, that is correct. Blue is common plus for ESU decoders, but head lights are white and taillights are yellow, so I can't say for sure with the grey/yellow colors you have listed in post 10.

Can you post pictures of the front and rear of the circuit board for the head/taillamps? You may have the power limiting resisitor needed biult into the circuit board.

If you are going to operate the interior lights on an aux output, run a separate blue wire with a power limiting (1.2K ohm) resisitor for that circuit. It is helpfull to isolate circuits where possible.
Matt
Era 3
Offline Dave Banks  
#10 Posted : 14 May 2015 00:39:28(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi Matt, Front & rear led lights. It has been a while since I last did this & was forgetting ESU front = white where Marklin was = grey. Now corrected. Dave...

BR103 front & Rear Led lighting board
D.A.Banks
Offline biedmatt  
#11 Posted : 14 May 2015 02:57:28(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Perfect. I just wanted to see if they had incorporated a power limiting resistor in the circuit board. They have not. Your 1.2k ohm in series with the blue wire will work.

That is very bulky wire, is that M's wire?
Matt
Era 3
Offline Dave Banks  
#12 Posted : 14 May 2015 03:28:27(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Sadly yellow is out of stock of M wire so I have had to grab what I could or get a whole new role. I am off to get 1/2 W, 1.2 K-ohm resistors which is all they have in stock. So no resistors on white or yellow but on the blue wire only. Is that correct?

Edited by user 14 May 2015 08:28:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

D.A.Banks
Offline GLI  
#13 Posted : 14 May 2015 10:08:37(UTC)
GLI

Hello Dave

Yes, that's correct. You only need to place the resistor on the blue wire.

Geoff
Offline GLI  
#14 Posted : 14 May 2015 10:09:52(UTC)
GLI

Hello Dave

Yes, that's correct. You only need to place the resistor on the blue wire.

Geoff
Offline Dave Banks  
#15 Posted : 14 May 2015 12:14:26(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Thanks GeoFF, I could only get 1/2 W, 1.2 K-ohm resistors but that should be ok. Now I have to think about selling 39572 front bogie with brand new C-Sine motor & board.
I am just wondering what they would fetch on E-bay? Other alternative is to just keep it as a spare as these are like hens teeth. What do you guys recon?

Dave...
D.A.Banks
Offline Chook  
#16 Posted : 14 May 2015 14:09:52(UTC)
Chook

Australia   
Dave, you have an Altronics reseller there on the Gold Coast -Prime Electronics 07 5531 2599 who should be able to get a pack of 10 1.2k ohm surface mount resistors in either .25W (cat R8122), 0.125W (cat R1082) or 0.1W (cat R1602) for $0.95c a pack.
It sounds like you could get addicted to these LED conversions so for less than a buck for 10 resistors maybe you should get a couple of packs.

Note that they also have the standard 1/4 watt series as well - in fact grab a catalogue while you are there.

Regards....Chook. (Perth)

Offline Dave Banks  
#17 Posted : 14 May 2015 22:16:16(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hey Chook, I know the company well & bought all my wire from them when they have stock, soldering Iron & heat shrink. Top guys there. You recon the 1/2 w 1.2 Kohm is not the way to go? Better to get the 1/4 W version. The Jaycar mob charged me .50c for a pack of 8. The bloke at Jaycar said to me that the only difference between the the 1/2 & 1/4 is that it just accepts a little more power. That little more power has got me thinking it might just lead to the destruction of the Led. Your opinion please.

Regards

Dave...
D.A.Banks
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 14 May 2015 22:27:17(UTC)
H0

Hi!
That little more power has got me thinking it might just lead to the destruction of the Led.
No, the resistor protects the LED. There is no difference between 0.5 W or 10 W for your purpose - no risk for the LEDs.
But 0.25 W should be sufficient if the current is 10 mA or less.

With 1k2 LEDs may be very bright. In the TRAXX Hobby locos Märklin have three yellow LEDs in series with a 5k6 resistor.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Dave Banks  
#19 Posted : 15 May 2015 00:31:49(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   

Hi Tom, many thanks for your input. With all the given facts what resistor with what values do you think I should install. One resistor on blue lead front, one for the rear & one for the dome?

Regards

Dave...

D.A.Banks
Offline Dave Banks  
#20 Posted : 15 May 2015 00:49:52(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
On another tack, and I have to show my ignorance in this matter, what else do I need to drive this motor given the mother board is cactus. Can a ESU decoder be coupled to it directly to make it work or is the drivers missing?

39572 C-sine motor & board

39572 C- Sine motor & board
D.A.Banks
Offline Shamu  
#21 Posted : 15 May 2015 03:14:19(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Hi Dave,

As you have the driver board and assuming it isn't cactus you can connect any decoder you want, ESU or Marklin.

You can find the relevant details/settings for driving a C-sine motor in the ESU decoder manual, I can dig them out for you if you want.

EDIT:
From the current ESU manual;

11.5. Settings for the C-Sinus motor
LokPilot decoders with the 21MTC interface can drive the new
C-Sinus motors indirectly via the circuit board installed in the locomotive.
The LokPilot can generate all necessary signals provided
you re-adjust certain settings:
Load compensation must be turned off as described in chapter
The control electronics of the motor also need a switched logic
voltage provided by the LokPilot on output AUX4. AUX4 must
therefore be active while the locomotive is stopped and while it is
moving (in both directions!).
LokPilot V4.0 LokPilot V4.0 DCC LokPilot V4.0 M4
LokPilot micro V4.0 LokPilot micro V4.0 DCC
LokPilot XL V4.0
Write the values below into the respective CVs
Make sure that CV 31 contains the value 16 and CV 32 the value
CV Value
CV 266 32
CV 282 32
CV 298 32
CV 314 32
Use the LokProgrammer alternatively in order to activate AUX4 for
the stationary locomotive and for the moving locomotive in both
directions as shown in figure 26.
Furthermore for certain models the serial interface (SUSI) must be
activated since the control electronics receive their commands via
this interface. Turn on SUSI by setting bit 3 in CV 124. Based on
the default value for CV 124 (20) you should now write 28 into
CV 124.
Unfortunately there is another hurdle to be taken: The C-Sinus
circuit board draws too much energy from the LokPilot decoder. If
you have activated RailCom or Märklin brake sections there may
be some erroneous behaviour. To rectify this connect a 470 μF
capacitor between U+ and the common of the decoder as shown
in chapter 6.10.2.

Hope this helps however I'm sure Tom or one of the other lads can provide far more detailed information if needed. I haven't had to do a replacement decoder for any of my C-sine/SDS motors yet so this is the limit of my knowledge.

OH, while I think of it.

As to the resistors, although the 1/4w ones will be more than adequate in most cases since we in general live in warmer climes I use 1/2w purely to avoid excess heat build up. The 1/4w can run hot if pushed and not ideal especially in plastic bodied loco's or if in contact with other components.

Its just me being over cautious and preferring to play it safe as the size difference/cost is negligible.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline Dave Banks  
#22 Posted : 15 May 2015 05:43:37(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Thanks Shamu, I have a 21 pin lokpilot decoder but not the board that came out of this loco & is all good but unfortunately I reset it to default. I can hard wire via the solder tabs but it may not have the same results you mention. Just got to work out how to wire the driver to that decoder & what marklin colour wires goes to where.

I have :

Blue = motor (Esu motor terminal orange)
Green = motor (ESU motor terminal Grey)
Black = Delta brush connection ?
Orange = Electronic Ground (Esu ground return Blue)
Purple = Rect Bridge (-Ve) (ESU F2 Violet)

Cheers

Dave...
D.A.Banks
Offline H0  
#23 Posted : 15 May 2015 07:24:56(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Just got to work out how to wire the driver to that decoder & what marklin colour wires goes to where.
I would expect that one of these cables connect to either AUX3 or AUX4 (function output without amplifier).
I'd expect two motor outputs, decoder plus, decoder minus, function output. I never investigated this, but Märklin is flexible with respect to cable colour schemes.

Maybe you can trace the pins on the 21MTC socket that connect to the five solder pads on the big board- even if you don't remember where each colour cable from the small board was connected.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Dave Banks  
#24 Posted : 16 May 2015 02:55:12(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello Tom, many thanks for your reply. Yes I will have to tread carefully on this one & not make any mistakes. I was hoping someone on the forum had landed in the same situation as I have & have tried to marry up the C-sine motor driving PCB #109308 to a 21 pin ESU decoder & even better to show what wires go where & to top it a photo or two. But I guess that would be too a big ask. If any one can help in that matter I would be extremely delighted. A spare mother board would be the answer but rare as hens teeth. I have ordered one of these "ESU#51967" as suggested by Matt but not the ESU version for 6090 conversion. I think that one is a bit limited. I hope I have done the right thing?

Thanks

Dave...

ESU 51967
D.A.Banks