Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sjlauritsen  
#1 Posted : 16 August 2013 00:39:59(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Hi guys!

I must say, I am very impressed with the Märklin Mobile Station 2. I have now started to program some of my locos and stored them in the Mobile Station. At my dealer I bought some of the locomotive cards, because I wanted to try it out. It works perfectly.

How do you guys use locomotive cards? Do you have one for every locomotive or do you only use them when you bring a loco to a friend's house?
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2013 07:25:30(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post

How do you guys use locomotive cards? Do you have one for every locomotive or do you only use them when you bring a loco to a friend's house?

Yep , I absolutely use them, but their benifit really shows up in our club environment.

Our club layout , at clubrooms and at exhibitions, almost exclusively makes use of the Lokcards - one per locomotive.
They are far faster and more accurate than using the touch screen selection (multiple prods/ have to focus on the screen).

A CS2 is the driver but it is not uncommon to have 1 or 2 MS2s

The Console is set up with rows of slots for holding the cards - each row represents a line (Branch/Inner Main/Outer Main) that the locomotive/train is running on with the "active" ones at the front.
Peter
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 16 August 2013 07:25:44(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Do you have one for every locomotive or do you only use them when you bring a loco to a friend's house?
I bought loco cards mainly for use at club meeting (so I can register all functions at home and easily load them into the CS2 or MS2 at meetings).

Recently I had a problem with it: created the loco card with an MS2, had it read by a CS2 - and coaches (with decoder) didn't work as expected. Registered them manually at the CS2 and they worked.
So IMHO Märklin has a compatibility problem with the loco cards between MS2 and CS2 (on the MS2 I created the coaches as DCC 28, but the CS2 showed DCC 14 IIRC) ...

The cards I use mostly are not original Märklin, I bought compatible cards from Reichelt.
Case matters here: you need 8 kiB or 64 kib.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 16 August 2013 07:30:15(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
So IMHO Märklin has a compatibility problem with the loco cards between MS2 and CS2 (on the MS2 I created the coaches as DCC 28, but the CS2 showed DCC 14 IIRC) ...

Noted! there may also be some corruption/lossx of image data if you "edit" with MS2
Sticking to the CS2(creation) and MM/mFX works well

Peter
Offline sjlauritsen  
#5 Posted : 16 August 2013 11:58:47(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Thanks for the replies!

It's interesting to hear how you guys make use your cards. I am the only one with a Märklin Digital system in my "gang", so I may not be using them that much. Currently I use them to store the locomotives that I do not use very often. This way I can easily load them back into the system, should I have erased them at some point.

The cards I use mostly are not original Märklin, I bought compatible cards from Reichelt.

The problem with DCC and cards sounds annoying. I hope a software update will fix that at some point.

The cards from Märklin are a bit expensive (compared to what they really just are). So your solution with compatible (and most likely identical) cards sounds good. I will look into that as well. :-)

Søren from Denmark
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 16 August 2013 12:38:19(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Thanks for the replies!

It's interesting to hear how you guys make use your cards. I am the only one with a Märklin Digital system in my "gang", so I may not be using them that much. Currently I use them to store the locomotives that I do not use very often. This way I can easily load them back into the system, should I have erased them at some point.

I have not bought any cards yet, but I intend to use them much as you do. I have currently over 110 digital locos, mostly without mfx, so it's my intention to slowly save the non-mfx locos onto cards and keep them with the locos when they are stored off the layout, allowing me to delete from the MS2 the locos I'm not using at any one time.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline sjlauritsen  
#7 Posted : 19 August 2013 15:11:16(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Yep , I absolutely use them, but their benifit really shows up in our club environment.

Our club layout , at clubrooms and at exhibitions, almost exclusively makes use of the Lokcards - one per locomotive.
They are far faster and more accurate than using the touch screen selection (multiple prods/ have to focus on the screen).

A CS2 is the driver but it is not uncommon to have 1 or 2 MS2s

The Console is set up with rows of slots for holding the cards - each row represents a line (Branch/Inner Main/Outer Main) that the locomotive/train is running on with the "active" ones at the front.

This sounds interesting. Do you have a picture of that setup?

I am also interested in knowing if any of you have any experience with larger "walk around" layouts, where you follow your train around the layout. Is this at all possible with the mobile station? I mean, I can unplug it, and plug it in elsewhere, but it has no memory on what it was doing in the previous plug.

Søren from Denmark
Offline Petzi  
#8 Posted : 22 October 2013 20:34:11(UTC)
Petzi

Belgium   

I bought the cards from Reichelt (see post of HO here above) and received it today.
It work pretty well with the Marklin CS2 60215 and is about 3 to 4 times cheaper than
the normal smart cards. Thank you very much HO !

By the way, I started to record my locos on each card but is there any place on the internet
where it is possible to download a predefined profile for the locos ?

I ask that because I received 2 prerecorded cards with my CS2 so I believe that prerecorded
profiles does exist but cab't find it with the big search engine G....e

Serge
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 22 October 2013 21:02:08(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Answering a PM I received today ...
I don't know which chipsets work and which don't.
I know that size matters here - and case matters also (8 kilobytes or 64 kilobits). I don't know if bigger cards will work. Smaller cards won't be able to store the images.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline jeehring  
#10 Posted : 23 October 2013 15:04:23(UTC)
jeehring

anyone please, to tell me what kind of data can be stored on cards ?
What do you mean exactly by " Loco profile"? It seems that a picture can be included, functions, name... Could CV values be included as well ? ...with tuning of the decoder ?
What else ?
Thank you.
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 23 October 2013 16:42:50(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
What do you mean exactly by "Loco profile"?
We are only dumb users - we plug those cards into our MS2s or CS2s and write loco information onto the card, but we don't know which data is included and which is not.
But the CVs are not included.
The data on the cards was partially disassembled by users of Stummi's Forum:
http://stummiforum.de/vi...opic.php?f=5&t=51908

The purpose is transferring a loco with name, address, function keys (and picture if used between two CS2s) from one controller to another.
Or to quickly select an already registered loco on your controller.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline nygma  
#12 Posted : 12 May 2015 21:43:12(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   

I got the exact same cards you linked up here and when I try to write a loco data onto the card on my MS2, I get an error message (error writing card, or something very generic). Any ideas what can the issue be? My MS2 has v2.5 running on it.

Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 13 May 2015 00:01:14(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: nygma Go to Quoted Post
Any ideas what can the issue be?
Insert the card the right way (chips goes in first with chip towards bottom of the MS2) and the full way (the final 5 mm or so require more force).

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline nygma  
#14 Posted : 14 May 2015 16:11:35(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
Insert the card the right way (chips goes in first with chip towards bottom of the MS2) and the full way (the final 5 mm or so require more force).

Doh, silly me. It works just fine with the card the other way around (chip facing down not up). Thanks.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nygma
H0