Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline drstapes  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2015 18:07:51(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
Hi All,

I just bought this 2-10-2 steam tank engine off ebay. As not unexpected it has problems with reversing. IE when you try it buzzes and nothing happens. Presumably a reverser spring problem . Its complicated by the fact it is equipped with Telex. I thought I would open it before sending the engine back but there is no obvious way to take the body shell off the chassis. May be screws under couplers but I do not want to fiddle with it without knowing the correct way of removing the shell. Anybody with this loco who can give me some advice?
thanks

Geoff
Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2015 19:31:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: drstapes Go to Quoted Post
Hi All,

I just bought this 2-10-2 steam tank engine off ebay. As not unexpected it has problems with reversing. IE when you try it buzzes and nothing happens. Presumably a reverser spring problem . Its complicated by the fact it is equipped with Telex. I thought I would open it before sending the engine back but there is no obvious way to take the body shell off the chassis. May be screws under couplers but I do not want to fiddle with it without knowing the correct way of removing the shell. Anybody with this loco who can give me some advice?
thanks

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

You remove two screws from underneath, close to the cylinders. Then you pull the boiler up and backwards. Look in the manual:

http://medienpdb.maerkli.../1/pdf/37097_betrieb.pdf
RayF attached the following image(s):
open 3309.jpg
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline MS 800  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2015 19:38:34(UTC)
MS 800

Germany   
Hi, Geoff,

it works as RayF describes it - not really difficult - nor really obvious. I got the 3309 as well - including the complete manual. If you'd like to receive a .PDF copy of it, just PM me your E-Mail-Adress and I'll send it.

Best

MS 800
When we were kids we enjoyed our tinplate trains rattling over tinplate tracks - nowadays they're in need of sound decoders.
Offline drstapes  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2015 22:23:59(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
Ray and MS800, Thanks very much for your replies all a great help
regards
Geoff
Regards

Geoff (UK)

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by drstapes
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#5 Posted : 24 April 2015 13:08:02(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
One of my all time favorite locos, such a nice looking loco! - mine is from the mid 80's......have digitized it, and it really runs beautifully: great for shunting with the Telex; thinking of putting in a sound decoder now.....
Joe
Offline drstapes  
#6 Posted : 24 April 2015 16:48:47(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi All,

thanks

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

You remove two screws from underneath, close to the cylinders. Then you pull the boiler up and backwards. Look in the manual:

http://medienpdb.maerkli.../1/pdf/37097_betrieb.pdf

Well I managed to dismantle the loco, to my dismay the reversing unit is damaged and the lever that turns the rotating cog is flapping in the breeze. It looks like the plastic transparent housing is broken. Therefore back to the seller. Incidentally its really fiddly to put the body back on the little screws are very inaccessible.
regards
Geoff
Regards

Geoff (UK)

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by drstapes
Offline waorb  
#7 Posted : 24 April 2015 18:20:39(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Well I managed to dismantle the loco, to my dismay the reversing unit is damaged and the lever that turns the rotating cog is flapping in the breeze. It looks like the plastic transparent housing is broken. Therefore back to the seller.

Hello Geoff.

It's not worth just changing the reverse unit? There is a lot of them available...

(I personally have some... from digitalized loks)

Cheers,

Walter

edit: maybe not worth... Blushing

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Marklin-229700-258910-Fahrtrichtungsschalter-Telex-3309-3709-Dampflok-BR85-007-/361278609885?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item541de219dd
Offline drstapes  
#8 Posted : 24 April 2015 22:22:45(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: waorb Go to Quoted Post
Well I managed to dismantle the loco, to my dismay the reversing unit is damaged and the lever that turns the rotating cog is flapping in the breeze. It looks like the plastic transparent housing is broken. Therefore back to the seller.

Hello Geoff.

It's not worth just changing the reverse unit? There is a lot of them available...

(I personally have some... from digitalized loks)

Cheers,

Walter

edit: maybe not worth... Blushing

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Marklin-229700-258910-Fahrtrichtungsschalter-Telex-3309-3709-Dampflok-BR85-007-/361278609885?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item541de219dd

Well I have retuned the loco to the original seller. Keep my fingers crossed

Geoff
Regards

Geoff (UK)

Offline drstapes  
#9 Posted : 07 May 2015 17:06:51(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
All's well that's ends well. I got a refund and brought a very nice SEH 800, (3013) unboxed, but in excellent order. .so well pleased in the end
Regards

Geoff (UK)