Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

13 Pages«<7891011>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#401 Posted : 07 April 2015 11:48:49(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

talking about BLS has HAG ever produced a Ae 6/8 or previous older locos ?

John, no (apart from the Ae 4/4, Ae 8/8 and Re 4/4) - but the Ae 6/8 was/is available from other manufacturers such as Roco, Roxy, Morep, etc.

Stefan,

I've got 2 from Roco and their pulling strength is excellent with 4 axles powered I've added more traction tyres by exchanging the axles.

What I'm hearing is the old or original firm sat on their format for years by producing the same type of locos year after year except the colour or other changes which had occurred over the years.

Most manufacturers they don't release any new arrivals or loco types, could you see the new company could adventure into this field or have they already begun ?

I usually watch Lötschbergbahn videos and he had one Eb 3/5 Steam loco from Märklin, 1 Ed 2x2/2 from Bemo (HO) and one A 3/5 from Liliput, 1 Roco (C5/6 and I assume HAG never adventured into the Steam loco manufacturing circle

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Unholz  
#402 Posted : 07 April 2015 15:09:11(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

What I'm hearing is the old or original firm sat on their format for years by producing the same type of locos year after year except the colour or other changes which had occurred over the years.

Not the full truth: Their last entirely new construction was the series of GTW 2/6 and GTW 2/8 articulated railcars (Thurbo and BLS) which began to surface in the year 2009. And the Ee 922 shunter presented in this thread and currently hitting the dealers' shelves was also "inseminated" at the old company.

river6109 wrote:
Most manufacturers they don't release any new arrivals or loco types, could you see the new company could adventure into this field or have they already begun ?

Absolutely not - they simply don't have the manpower (namely a design engineering department) and the other necessary structures. The expression "adventure" would be more than appropriate if they would tackle something genuinely new. BigGrin

river6109 wrote:
I usually watch Lötschbergbahn videos and he had one Eb 3/5 Steam loco from Märklin, 1 Ed 2x2/2 from Bemo (HO) and one A 3/5 from Liliput, 1 Roco (C5/6 and I assume HAG never adventured into the Steam loco manufacturing circle

Exactly: no HO steam locos ever came from HAG.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline taliesin  
#403 Posted : 13 April 2015 17:12:04(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
So being happy with my first HAG and armed with the knowledge that I have been able to obtain from here and from Stefan's website I decided to take another bite of the apple and contacted the seller of my first Lok. We cut a deal away from ebay and today a large parcel arrived containing the following, 092 Re 4/4 BT 50 Jahre Voralpen Express. 184 Re 4/4 BLS Typ 465 Sion 2006 and 270 Re 4/4 III SOB.
All are in truly mint boxed condition and all are fitted with Marklin Decoders of various types, putting them on the track for the first time really is like picking up a brand new Lok such is the condition of them. I have seen from other threads here that this seller is not too popular due to his behaviour at Auctions but I cannot honestly fault him for the deals I have had from him so far.
I have also picked up a catalog from 1975 via ebay Smile and I am quite taken by some carriages listed within, Nr 400, 415, 405 etc were these only pulled by the likes of Nr 150 or did other Loks haul them as well.
I am feeling rather happy at the moment but I am not sure my Bank Manager is BigGrin , regards to all, Rob
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by taliesin
Offline Unholz  
#404 Posted : 13 April 2015 18:56:05(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: taliesin Go to Quoted Post
We cut a deal away from ebay and today a large parcel arrived containing the following, 092 Re 4/4 BT 50 Jahre Voralpen Express. 184 Re 4/4 BLS Typ 465 Sion 2006 and 270 Re 4/4 III SOB.

Has your doctor already diagnosed a severe form of addiction? Drool

taliesin wrote:

I have also picked up a catalog from 1975 via ebay Smile and I am quite taken by some carriages listed within, Nr 400, 415, 405 etc were these only pulled by the likes of Nr 150 or did other Loks haul them as well.

Mmmmhhh... - although those coaches are not entirely unsuitable, I would recommend others. Chiefly because 400, 405 and 415 etc. are "old generation" models and thus not built exactly to scale (a perfect match for no. 150, however).

For the 092, I would recommend BT coaches such as 422 and 428, for the SOB Re 4/4 III coach no. 726, and for the BLS Re 465 almost any variety of coaches or freight vans from various manufacturers.
Offline taliesin  
#405 Posted : 13 April 2015 19:02:05(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
We cut a deal away from ebay and today a large parcel arrived containing the following, 092 Re 4/4 BT 50 Jahre Voralpen Express. 184 Re 4/4 BLS Typ 465 Sion 2006 and 270 Re 4/4 III SOB.

Has your doctor already diagnosed a severe form of addiction? Drool
Yes but the Bank Manager says he has a cure Angry .

taliesin wrote:

Mmmmhhh... - although those coaches are not entirely unsuitable, I would recommend others. Chiefly because 400, 405 and 415 etc. are "old generation" models and thus not built exactly to scale (a perfect match for no. 150, however).

For the 092, I would recommend BT coaches such as 422 and 428, for the SOB Re 4/4 III coach no. 726, and for the BLS Re 465 almost any variety of coaches or freight vans from various manufacturers.

Thanks Stefan, I have various Marklin coaches which will do for the 465 and I can keep an eye out for the others as and when, my regards to you, Rob

Offline mike c  
#406 Posted : 13 April 2015 21:05:15(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Taliesin,

for your SOB 270 or BT 092, you should check out the following coach options:

Maerklin 42161 SOB Voralpen Express Set (3 coaches)
Roco 44346/47/48/49 BT and SOB EWIV coaches (individual) in 1:93 scale
Roco 44966/67/68/69 BT and SOB EWIV coaches (individual) in 1:87 exact scale
You can find SOB coaches from Lima 309519 and 309509. BT coaches were available under the numbers 309517, 309508 and the Set 149787.

http://mmiwakoh.de/Eigen...-modellbahn/NovaSBB2.htm
http://www.ct-railways.de/lima-ewi.php

These coaches can often be found on ebay.de, ebay.ch, ricardo.ch and other auction sites.
Hag only made the BT coaches in the more recent livery (green over beige). Their SOB coaches were also in later liveries and had some issues with the shape of the housing. This is why I mention the Lima ones as an option.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline taliesin  
#407 Posted : 13 April 2015 21:17:18(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Taliesin,

for your SOB 270 or BT 092, you should check out the following coach options:

Maerklin 42161 SOB Voralpen Express Set (3 coaches)
Roco 44346/47/48/49 BT and SOB EWIV coaches (individual) in 1:93 scale
Roco 44966/67/68/69 BT and SOB EWIV coaches (individual) in 1:87 exact scale
You can find SOB coaches from Lima 309519 and 309509. BT coaches were available under the numbers 309517, 309508 and the Set 149787.

http://mmiwakoh.de/Eigen...-modellbahn/NovaSBB2.htm
http://www.ct-railways.de/lima-ewi.php

These coaches can often be found on ebay.de, ebay.ch, ricardo.ch and other auction sites.
Hag only made the BT coaches in the more recent livery (green over beige). Their SOB coaches were also in later liveries and had some issues with the shape of the housing. This is why I mention the Lima ones as an option.

Regards

Mike C

Thank you Mike, I will keep a watch for the Marklin 42161 set and also the Hag ones previously mentioned. When Lima produced UK outline gear it was of truly horrible quality, is the continental stuff better? regards Rob

Offline mike c  
#408 Posted : 14 April 2015 02:55:49(UTC)
mike c

Canada   

Thank you Mike, I will keep a watch for the Marklin 42161 set and also the Hag ones previously mentioned. When Lima produced UK outline gear it was of truly horrible quality, is the continental stuff better? regards Rob

Rob,

I was not a big fan of Lima models until the mid-1980s when they released an improved version of the TEE Gottardo. At around the same time, they introduced a new series of improved models of the EWI coaches, which were exact scale 272mm instead of the earlier 268mm and featured close coupling shafts and add on details like entry steps and such. The models were so well done that Hag negotiated the right to market modified Lima shells with a metal chassis as Hag models.

The models are as nice as Roco's EWII coaches and hold their own next to the top of the line LS Models RIC coaches that were released in the last few years.

That was why I provided the link to those two websites with photos.

If you would like, I can send you a photo or two of my Re 456, Re 446 or Re 4/4III with the Lima coaches.

I think that Lima was trying to compete with Hornby for the UK market and made models that were similar in design to older Triang (OO) models rather than making models that were UK equivalents to the European standard HO.

Regards

Mike C

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#409 Posted : 14 April 2015 04:22:23(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Mike another reason could be too, if any manufacturer already produces "a model" and than a foreign manufacturer tries to import the same type of model, the manufacturer can apply to customs for a higher import duty to be added to the imported model.
Have to have another look at Lima's and Rivarossi models as they do produce Swiss models and so does Fleischmann with the 3/6/I ( I think )

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline taliesin  
#410 Posted : 14 April 2015 11:57:04(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   

Rob,

I was not a big fan of Lima models until the mid-1980s when they released an improved version of the TEE Gottardo. At around the same time, they introduced a new series of improved models of the EWI coaches, which were exact scale 272mm instead of the earlier 268mm and featured close coupling shafts and add on details like entry steps and such. The models were so well done that Hag negotiated the right to market modified Lima shells with a metal chassis as Hag models.

The models are as nice as Roco's EWII coaches and hold their own next to the top of the line LS Models RIC coaches that were released in the last few years.

That was why I provided the link to those two websites with photos.

If you would like, I can send you a photo or two of my Re 456, Re 446 or Re 4/4III with the Lima coaches.

I think that Lima was trying to compete with Hornby for the UK market and made models that were similar in design to older Triang (OO) models rather than making models that were UK equivalents to the European standard HO.

Regards

Mike C

Certainly an impressive line up, I suspect that I will stick to Marklin/Hag but would love to see some pictures all the same, regards Rob

Offline taliesin  
#411 Posted : 14 April 2015 14:50:18(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
A new day brings new questions BigGrin , I have identified a BLS coach, in this case Nr 453 is this scale size and what are the codes for the matching coaches to form a rake?
Also an engine with the newer coding, 16 218-20 presumingly analogue but 3 rail AC or 2 rail DC?
Many thanks, Rob
Offline Unholz  
#412 Posted : 14 April 2015 15:45:39(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Rob, 453 is a perfect BLS 2nd class coach in scale size (it has DC wheelsets that can be exchanged for AC operation if necessary).

Matching coaches are for instance HAG nos. 458 and 462 (1st class or 1st/2nd class combined) plus a BLS baggage car from Roco.

16 218-20 is 2 rail DC analogue, an Re 436 of the private Swiss freight railway operator Crossrail.

PS. Is the rumour that your bank manager has suffered from a heart attack true? LOL
Offline taliesin  
#413 Posted : 15 April 2015 10:38:26(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Rob, 453 is a perfect BLS 2nd class coach in scale size (it has DC wheelsets that can be exchanged for AC operation if necessary).

Matching coaches are for instance HAG nos. 458 and 462 (1st class or 1st/2nd class combined) plus a BLS baggage car from Roco.

16 218-20 is 2 rail DC analogue, an Re 436 of the private Swiss freight railway operator Crossrail.

PS. Is the rumour that your bank manager has suffered from a heart attack true? LOL

He has steely determination and an iron will so still fighting fit BigGrin ,

Todays beginners questions, if 453 has DC wheelsets I assume there is a separately cataloged coach with AC wheelsets.
Is there any difference in the wheelsets apart from insulation, if not I assume DC wheelsets are perfectly happy running on AC track although maybe lights etc could not be fitted in that form?
I have tracked down both 458 and 462 but what about 456 and 468? are they in the same rake or somehow different, size etc
Many thanks, Rob

Offline Unholz  
#414 Posted : 15 April 2015 11:18:43(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   

Todays beginners questions, if 453 has DC wheelsets I assume there is a separately cataloged coach with AC wheelsets.

Correct, no. 452.

taliesin wrote:
Is there any difference in the wheelsets apart from insulation, if not I assume DC wheelsets are perfectly happy running on AC track although maybe lights etc could not be fitted in that form?

DC wheelsets mostly run happily on AC track, but in certain cases the flange height and/or the wheel spacing can be a problem, depending on the type of track and turnouts/points you use.

taliesin wrote:
I have tracked down both 458 and 462 but what about 456 and 468? are they in the same rake or somehow different, size etc

Both are "old generation" and thus not built to the correct scale, and thanks to HAG's crazy numbering system they are also fitted with DC wheels (although you have meanwhile probably got the right impression that even numbers normally stand for AC and odd numbers for DC - but as I said, we are talking about HAG here... Confused Huh ).

Offline taliesin  
#415 Posted : 15 April 2015 11:30:21(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   

Correct, no. 452.

taliesin wrote:

DC wheelsets mostly run happily on AC track, but in certain cases the flange height and/or the wheel spacing can be a problem, depending on the type of track and turnouts/points you use.

taliesin wrote:

Both are "old generation" and thus not built to the correct scale, and thanks to HAG's crazy numbering system they are also fitted with DC wheels (although you have meanwhile probably got the right impression that even numbers normally stand for AC and odd numbers for DC - but as I said, we are talking about HAG here... Confused Huh ).

Yes I had got that impression Confused , I think it would make sense to get them and then track down AC wheelsets which I presume are still cataloged and available, are they Hags own or supplied by Marklin. oh for a collection of English language catalogs Smile then maybe I could leave you in peace Stefan, my regards, Rob

Offline Unholz  
#416 Posted : 15 April 2015 13:23:54(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
(...) AC wheelsets which I presume are still cataloged and available, are they Hags own or supplied by Marklin.

I don't assume that they produced them themselves; Roco or Marklin are the likely source.

taliesin wrote:

oh for a collection of English language catalogs Smile then maybe I could leave you in peace Stefan, my regards, Rob

Actually, HAG catalogs in English and Italian (combined) were indeed printed for a couple of years. I have been desperately searching for the 1981 issue for years. If you can track this one down for me, I will happily swap it with a surplus English catalog for a different year from my collection. ThumpUp

Offline taliesin  
#417 Posted : 17 April 2015 12:46:31(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
The story so far, two 453's have been tracked down secondhand in the UK and are now on their way, apparently they are different due to one have advertising with a boat on the side of it. These are both fitted with DC wheelsets so I emailed Hag about AC replacements. They answered quite quickly but confirmed that they will no longer supply direct and you have to go through a Dealer.
To my knowledge there are two Hag Dealers here in the UK, the first one I contacted Marno LTD informed me that they no longer do business with the new owner of Hag, I won't say on here why. The other one, Winco, suggested that I contact Hag direct so no gain there then.
I have contacted a Dealer in Holland who claims to have the wheelsets in stock so payment has been made and I await delivery, I chose a Dutch Dealer due to him being in the EC so hopefully customs should not interfere and demand more money, also in my experience most Dutch have a good grasp of English.
I tracked down a 458 on ebay in Germany, an offer has been made and accepted so I await delivery.
I have also found a further 458 and a 462 in Holland via ebay, my offers were accepted and again I await delivery.
It has been suggested that my Postman is keen on meeting my Bank Manager, I can neither confirm or deny this rumour BigGrin BigGrin , regards to all, Rob
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by taliesin
Offline Unholz  
#418 Posted : 17 April 2015 14:36:24(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
OhMyGod The "love affair" Wink between Rob and HAG certainly seems to be getting out of hand. BigGrin

I would like to put emphasis on the fact that I tried to keep things from developing like this and that I will not be held responsible when Rob is forced to buy dozens of new shoes for his girl friend as a "compensation". LOL

And BTW, the 453 with boat advertising is rather rare. ThumpUp
Offline jcrtrains  
#419 Posted : 17 April 2015 15:22:55(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
So being happy with my first HAG and armed with the knowledge that I have been able to obtain from here and from Stefan's website I decided to take another bite of the apple and contacted the seller of my first Lok. We cut a deal away from ebay and today a large parcel arrived containing the following, 092 Re 4/4 BT 50 Jahre Voralpen Express. 184 Re 4/4 BLS Typ 465 Sion 2006 and 270 Re 4/4 III SOB.
All are in truly mint boxed condition and all are fitted with Marklin Decoders of various types, putting them on the track for the first time really is like picking up a brand new Lok such is the condition of them. I have seen from other threads here that this seller is not too popular due to his behaviour at Auctions but I cannot honestly fault him for the deals I have had from him so far.
I am feeling rather happy at the moment but I am not sure my Bank Manager is BigGrin , regards to all, Rob

Things always tend to expand when you ask the question 'What else do you want to sell?'. I asked that question after purchasing 4 freight wagons off the Hag forum last month and ended up with two Ae 6/6 's and an Re 6/6. All in lovely condition and I have ensured the seller that they are very happy in their new home.

Make sure you have checked your bank balance before asking the question!
Offline taliesin  
#420 Posted : 17 April 2015 15:31:25(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
OhMyGod The "love affair" Wink between Rob and HAG certainly seems to be getting out of hand. BigGrin

I would like to put emphasis on the fact that I tried to keep things from developing like this and that I will not be held responsible when Rob is forced to buy dozens of new shoes for his girl friend as a "compensation". LOL

And BTW, the 453 with boat advertising is rather rare. ThumpUp

Hair extensions are coming before the shoesBigGrin, I must admit I will be stopping for a breather regardless, cheers Rob
Offline taliesin  
#421 Posted : 19 April 2015 20:45:45(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Well the pair of 453 coaches have arrived from Contikits, and are in really good condition indeed. The boxes are nice and fresh and apart from the carriage itself there are also alternative couplers, separate steps to add on and instructions showing how to dismantle them for changing couplings and adding interior lighting etc. This first picture shows one of the coaches with the instruction leaflet,
Hag coach
and here is a close up of the advert, advertising the pleasure boat on the lake from what I understand,
close up
Hopefully the others will turn up over the following week, regards to all, Rob
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by taliesin
Offline taliesin  
#422 Posted : 06 May 2015 20:07:51(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
So I now have all five BLS carriages to hand, all in sparkling condition and apparently un-run. The pair of DC coaches have been re-wheeled to AC with wheelsets obtained from Holland and a couple of catalogs have been acquired from ebay including one from 87/88 which has been a great help in identifying 'the new generation'.
Just when I thought it was safe to come up for air a pair of beauties appeared over the horizon in the shape of a 703 and a 709, these being IC 2000 coaches. I just missed out on the 703 but obtained the 709 and have changed the wheelsets for AC sets.
This being an early one I guess that I am condemned to the glazing falling out but I have a trick glue to cure this as and when it happens Wink , this really is one pretty coach and I am going to enjoy tracking down the others, cheers, Rob
Offline mike c  
#423 Posted : 07 May 2015 04:32:58(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The latest production of the IC2000 coaches no longer have the issue of windows falling out and can be ordered with factory installed lighting. Your best bet for the new ones would be to source them from a dealer in Switzerland.

If you are looking for more BLS coaches, check this one out:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/R...e-neu-OVP-/171774845352?

This site also lists models by Lima and Rivarossi that can be mixed with Hag models: http://www.ct-railways.de/lima-ewi.php

Regards

Mike C
Offline taliesin  
#424 Posted : 11 May 2015 10:29:56(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Hopefully a quick one BigGrin , I notice that there are still some GTW's available, with or without sound. Is the sound card version fully compatible with the Marklin MS2? cheers Rob
Offline Unholz  
#425 Posted : 11 May 2015 10:57:39(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Yes, it is. However, a word of caution: Some of the later HAG GTW's were equipped with Zimo decoders. Although I like these in other (HAG) models, I was unhappy with the running characteristics of the GTW's (I also have an MS 2) and replaced the Zimos with standard ESU decoders.

Since I am widely reknowned as a digital moron/halfwit, it is possible that my experience with the Zimos is unique and solely due to my presence, but I just wanted to mention it. Wink
Offline taliesin  
#426 Posted : 11 May 2015 11:05:10(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Thank you from one digital moron to another BigGrin , I hope to get one of these but wanted to make sure it would actually work as they are not exactly throwaway money, cheers Rob
Offline taliesin  
#427 Posted : 12 May 2015 18:04:32(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
In an earlier posting mention was made of the Hag 501 decoder made by digitrax not being suitable for use with the MS2, is 501 a universal name for any decoder factory fitted or are all 501 decoders made by digitrax? cheers Rob
Offline Unholz  
#428 Posted : 12 May 2015 20:12:20(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Rob, there once was a HAG decoder with the designation 501-20 which was made by ESU. So only plain 501 was the Digitrax thing.
Offline taliesin  
#429 Posted : 12 May 2015 20:16:15(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Thanks Stefan, any idea when the 922 Shunter is coming out? I am assuming there will be Marklin compatible versions, cheers Rob
Offline chrisisrang  
#430 Posted : 13 May 2015 05:39:36(UTC)
chrisisrang

Some of the HAG dealers are offering brand new GTWs, priced competitively, with complete sound features using the latest generation ESU Loksound V4 M4 decoders. I recently picked up a brand new GTW 2/6 Theater St Gallen for CHF1100 with warranty. It is just not worth buying the GTWs on eBay with older decoders, especially if you are going to spend an additional Euro 100 - 120 fitting it with brand new decoder, unless they are available at ridiculously knocked down prices.
Offline Unholz  
#431 Posted : 13 May 2015 06:11:35(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Thanks Stefan, any idea when the 922 Shunter is coming out? I am assuming there will be Marklin compatible versions, cheers Rob

Rob, of course there will be AC versions. I am hoping that the first models will appear at the beginning of June.

Offline taliesin  
#432 Posted : 13 May 2015 11:07:16(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: chrisisrang Go to Quoted Post
Some of the HAG dealers are offering brand new GTWs, priced competitively, with complete sound features using the latest generation ESU Loksound V4 M4 decoders. I recently picked up a brand new GTW 2/6 Theater St Gallen for CHF1100 with warranty. It is just not worth buying the GTWs on eBay with older decoders, especially if you are going to spend an additional Euro 100 - 120 fitting it with brand new decoder, unless they are available at ridiculously knocked down prices.

Looking at my recent posts I can see what you maybe thinking, I have ordered a new (presumingly old stock) GTW 2/6 from a Dealer in Holland who has added a sound card so I am expecting a fairly current decoder with a modern sound card and the Dealer is well aware that I use a MS2 with C track so hopefully there will be no issues when it arrives, from what I have seen the price is very competitive.

My enquiry about the Hag 501 decoder was due to spotting a rather attractive 460 for sale equipped with a 501 decoder in Germany so I wanted to make sure that this engine was not suitable for my set up. I have since been informed that it has a Digitrax 501 so I will leave it but I have secured another IC2000 coach from this Dealer, also a 2005 catalog from Italy.

It would appear that to get a 922 I will have to use a Dealer in Switzerland so I have been exchanging emails with Christian at EYRO, luckily his english is far better than my grasp of german and things are looking positive on that front. regards to all enthusiasts, Rob

Unfortunately I have something less pleasant to report, I have been receiving unsolicited emails from Dealer's to my personal email address, presumingly obtained from this forum somehow.
Rest assured that if you are that desperate for a piece of my bank account that you are prepared to compromise your integrity in this manner I will not be doing business with you today, tomorrow or any other day in the future. Should I get anymore emails of a similar nature I will happily name and shame you, both here and elsewhere.

Offline chrisisrang  
#433 Posted : 13 May 2015 12:33:42(UTC)
chrisisrang

Stucki in Switzerland has probably the best selection of HAG locomotives with the latest and greatest electronics and the current generation of ESU V4 M4 decoders.

http://www.spielwaren-stucki.ch/

Offline Unholz  
#434 Posted : 13 May 2015 13:29:53(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
(...) so I have been exchanging emails with Christian at EYRO (...)

Good choice! ThumpUp But of course you could choose Stucki if you want to pay the highest prices in Switzerland - and the Ee 922 is not available from him...

Offline taliesin  
#435 Posted : 13 May 2015 16:08:07(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: chrisisrang Go to Quoted Post
Stucki in Switzerland has probably the best selection of HAG locomotives with the latest and greatest electronics and the current generation of ESU V4 M4 decoders.

http://www.spielwaren-stucki.ch/

I am happy with the Dealer that I have chosen, regards Rob
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by taliesin
Offline mike c  
#436 Posted : 14 May 2015 01:57:05(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have a number of Hag locomotives, mainly 280 Re 460 (SBB) and 186 Re 456 (BT/SOB) that I would be interested in converting to digital.
Are the motor parts required for conversion still readily available?

Has anybody ever solicited a bid from a Swiss dealer for a bulk conversion job? Can one get a better price for say four loks than for just one?
I think Helmut's Hobbies used to do this type of conversion, but I don't think that he deals with Hag anymore.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Unholz  
#437 Posted : 14 May 2015 07:44:39(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
I have a number of Hag locomotives, mainly 280 Re 460 (SBB) and 186 Re 456 (BT/SOB) that I would be interested in converting to digital.

Yes, most of them should be. The spare parts availability is one of the few remaining positive distinguishing marks of the new outfit.

Quote:

Has anybody ever solicited a bid from a Swiss dealer for a bulk conversion job? Can one get a better price for say four loks than for just one?
I think Helmut's Hobbies used to do this type of conversion, but I don't think that he deals with Hag anymore.

From its beginning, the New HAG company has been trying to install and enforce a rigid resale price fixing system. Therefore, the prices for the parts are more or less the same everywhere. However, it is possible that individual dealers/repair and conversion facilities charge more or less for their own work and also might be inclined to offer bulk conversion discounts.

I can perfectly understand Scott Housman of Helmuts Hobbies that he was fed up of doing business with New HAG... Tongue
Offline taliesin  
#438 Posted : 14 May 2015 10:12:14(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   

Regards

Mike C

I have had some contact with a German who operates in this area, converting both Hag and Marklin to digital, I do not know how good his work is as I have never used him but if you want I will PM you his contact details, cheers Rob

Offline chrisisrang  
#439 Posted : 14 May 2015 12:36:04(UTC)
chrisisrang

Uwe Schwierzke at SMS - Neviges is the best person for delivering top notch professional quality upgrade jobs. He has been specializing in HAG, Marklin et. al for years. The only hitch is that he is a very busy guy and there is a fair amount of lead time.

http://www.sms-neviges.de/

Offline Unholz  
#440 Posted : 14 May 2015 15:11:39(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Admittedly, using masking tape to achieve a nice color separation line is not an easy task - but professionals should know how to accomplish this.

Take a look at the area above the front windows:

Re 420 LION

On the positive side, the running characteristics of the model I tested were surprisingly good even in analogue AC operation. Could it be that they are finally beginning to listen to their critics instead of stubbornly ignoring them? Wink
Offline taliesin  
#441 Posted : 14 May 2015 15:33:34(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
From that paint job I would say no, there is no excuse if that's a production model that has been sold to a customer
Offline taliesin  
#442 Posted : 15 May 2015 12:55:21(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
So my gtw 2/6 turns up and it has been upgraded to using an ESU V3.5 sound card from the original zimo. I programme it into my MS2 and run it up and down ok, i then switch on the lights and run it up and down ok. I then switch on the sound and it runs ok for a few seconds then makes a crackling/hissing sound and stopped obeying the MS2. I took it off the track and removed it from the programme. I then placed it back on the track and added it to the MS2 again, it does not respond but one headlight comes on as soon as I place it on the track. I am resigned to having to send it back to Holland for repair but is there something I could have done to damage it? I did not get any instruction manual for this decoder, have i missed something? is this an mfx decoder or should i add it? thanks Rob
Offline Unholz  
#443 Posted : 15 May 2015 16:13:27(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
I am far beyond my usual field of expertise, but I had a similar problem with my first sound-equipped GTW 2/6 a couple of years back. The successful advice I got then was:

- Place the railcar on a track section, alone!
- Select model number 37540 on your MS 2 and change the address of the GTW to 3
- If it still doesn't work properly, change the setting of CV 49 to 27

Please don't ask me any specific details, but it seems that a HAG GTW with sound has so many functions that it exceeds the settings of an MS. Thus, it requires two separate addresses (or something to that effect - the digital types are probably just laughing their heads off, but perhaps they can re-word my layman's story BigGrin ).

I wouldn't return it - the thing probably works, but digital is a world of its own and obviously wasn't meant to be used by average guys like you and me...Wink
Offline H0  
#444 Posted : 15 May 2015 19:00:19(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Thus, it requires two separate addresses
Good tip for the MS (aka MS1), but no longer needed with the MS2 where you can use DCC to get 16 functions with one address.

V 3.5 decoders do not have mfx and they have to be registered manually. Default address is 3 and I'd try DCC first.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Unholz  
#445 Posted : 15 May 2015 19:09:37(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Thanks Tom! ThumpUp ThumpUp

Rob, Tom is the only guy in the world who was able to provide an illustrated "quick instruction manual" for the MS 2 that I was able to fully understand (in the German-speaking HAG forum some years ago) - since then I have full confidence in whatever digital advice he gives.
Wub
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline H0  
#446 Posted : 15 May 2015 19:57:30(UTC)
H0

since then I have full confidence in whatever digital advice he gives.
Too much honour. Blushing I know that I don't know everything and sometimes I make mistakes.

Good to share ideas here - even if some ideas do not solve the problem, they still may inspire other ideas.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline grnwtrs  
#447 Posted : 15 May 2015 22:18:16(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Thanks Tom! ThumpUp ThumpUp

Rob, Tom is the only guy in the world who was able to provide an illustrated "quick instruction manual" for the MS 2 that I was able to fully understand (in the German-speaking HAG forum some years ago) - since then I have full confidence in whatever digital advice he gives.
Wub

You were lucky you found Tom's instruction on this site.Laugh

I had to go to the internet and filter out a bunch of responses
before I came to Tom's instructions

Regards,
gene
Offline jcrtrains  
#448 Posted : 16 May 2015 00:28:43(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Admittedly, using masking tape to achieve a nice color separation line is not an easy task - but professionals should know how to accomplish this.

Take a look at the area above the front windows:

Re 420 LION

On the positive side, the running characteristics of the model I tested were surprisingly good even in analogue AC operation. Could it be that they are finally beginning to listen to their critics instead of stubbornly ignoring them? Wink

Yikes

I was thinking of getting this Zurich but that painting and the thought of repeated shippings to exchange from Canada has changed my mind. I have an earlier Lion and the paint was fine. Must have been one of the last thing Morschwil did.
Offline taliesin  
#449 Posted : 16 May 2015 10:17:42(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Thus, it requires two separate addresses
Good tip for the MS (aka MS1), but no longer needed with the MS2 where you can use DCC to get 16 functions with one address.

V 3.5 decoders do not have mfx and they have to be registered manually. Default address is 3 and I'd try DCC first.

Thanks Tom, the worrying thing is that when I place the loco onto the track one head light comes on immediately without touching the controller.
Although I have not had any other engines on the track at the same time would it screw things up if I had another engine already registered to channel 3? cheers Rob

Offline Unholz  
#450 Posted : 16 May 2015 10:50:28(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Rob, if the single light you mention is on the lower right side (and showing on both ends of the railcar set), then this is the so-called parking light (Parklicht in German). This would be prototypical.