Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline biedmatt  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2014 21:20:29(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I bought this kit a few months back. It looked like an interesting structure and I got it for a nice price.

UserPostedImage

When I opened it up, I was surprised to learn how these old Faller kits were made. The walls are a thick cardboard. The corners have a sort of tab and notch construction. The corner die cuts are also not particularly square nor even. So I stuck it on the shelf and forgot about it.

Today I scored a Faller B-113 Cortina Bahnhof kit, new in the box. One of the most stunning small stations I have ever seen in HO.

https://www.marklin-user...ed-model.aspx#post448597

So I now need to learn how to assemble this style of kit and decided B-108 would be a good place to learn. A bit of research and I found that the "open" joints on the corners are not the end of the world. White glue and Semolina to form a plaster, sealed with paint in the color of your choice will cover open joints and make them invisible.

https://www.marklin-user...-Plaster.aspx#post236757

So I am gluing the walls together. My corner clamps keep everything square and the small bar clamps pull it all together as tight as possible. Each cardboard piece needs to be cut from the sheet. The die cuts do not completely penetrate the cardboard and the corners each have a small connecting tab the die cut did not remove. After they are cut apart, I am sanding the the openings with a small sanding stick to clean and square them up. Once assembled, I think I will cover the cardboard with a coat of shellac. This will seal the ends of the cardboard so I can clean them up a bit more and then apply the Semolina plaster.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Yumgui  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2014 22:05:44(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Great kit Matt,

Just discovering it, and late as usual ... Tx to kweek for info too !

As for the wood frame once assembled, might wanna consider polyurethane or sanding sealer instead of shellac which is brittle over time ... and once that dries it needs to be sanded before applying a Semolina coat ... but you know all that ...
As John (river) noted; don't wanna risk rodent or insect visitors to the station later on down the road ... ;)
So maybe consider Hydro-cal type plaster finish instead of Semolina, which itself has to be sealed before painting of course ... ?

Great project, you got me goin' to find one too ^^ !

Thanks,

Yum ThumpUp

PS: This topic may be better found in the "Faller Collectibles" database, when we all get Alzheimers ?

Done !! (moved to 'Faller Collectibles').

Edited by moderator 06 July 2014 13:37:58(UTC)  | Reason: PS: Alzheimers ?

If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Yumgui
Offline biedmatt  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2014 22:48:26(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Good idea on the sanding sealer Yum. I used to use it all the time on the balsa fins on the model rockets.

I'm still looking for info on the plaster. I tried the link Kweek provided in the other thread, but I am having trouble joining the site. I think I've done it right, my German is pitiful to say the least, but have never received the confirmation email to finish joining. Hopefully Florian will get his info up so I can learn a bit more.

If a mod (kweek) thinks this would be better in the Faller section, please move it.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline kweekalot  
#4 Posted : 06 July 2014 13:20:10(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Matt,
The find of an unbuilt Cortina kit must have been very spectacular !! Woot
I'm jealous, they are rare, at least I never saw one for sale.
Must be worth quite a lot of $$$ .....
Many fanatic Faller kit collectors would have left the kit unbuilt, I would have too, but on the other hand, it is intresting to see on M-users how the kit is built and such.

I'm appreciating these early wooden Faller buildings more and more.
And station Cortina sure is a super classic Faller cult item and really something special.

The appearance of these wooden models stands or falls with the Griessputz. (the plaster).
Honestly I saw so many 'not so good' models because ​​the Griessputz wasn't applied very well and/or the used grain was to big.
If you look at the original 'Fertigmodellen' (the models built by Faller) you see that the grains are very tiny and that's how it must look.
You can find semolina in various sizes (600 to 1000um, 475 to 600 µm and 300 and 475 µm).
You need white wheat Griess (semolina) and not the more yellowish colored 'Durum' semolina that is common in Italy, Turkey, Marocco....

I've never heard that it attracts mice or cockroaches when applied on models (because the griess is encapsulated with plaster).
The plaster is composed of white glue, posterpaint ( aka gouache) and Griess and I have also read that back in the days Faller also added sodium silicate. (aka waterglass).

If you still have problems registering on the German forum, please let me know so I can ask Heinz-Dieter to look into it.

Marco
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline kweekalot  
#5 Posted : 06 July 2014 14:13:27(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
On the picture of my unrestored B-103 from 1953 you can see how small the grain is.
The Griessputz on my B-103 is in poor condition, just by looking at it the plaster falls off.
I've also seen a bit bigger grains on these 'fertig modelle', I guess the many home workers didn't use all the same sort of plaster.

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline kweekalot  
#6 Posted : 10 July 2014 13:45:56(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Matt,

Can you scan the B-108 and B-113 decals /curtains sheets for the Decal bank ?

Have you made some progress with the B-108 kit ?

Marco
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline biedmatt  
#7 Posted : 10 July 2014 15:03:58(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Can do Marco. I have the walls all glued together and the seams have been sanded smooth and even. I just need to get to the grocery and buy the Semolina. We have a great international food market here in town. I'm sure I'll find what I want once I get there. Then I am going to experiment with the scrap cardboard from the kit to learn how to do the plastering.

http://www.junglejims.com
Matt
Era 3
Offline biedmatt  
#8 Posted : 14 July 2014 13:59:25(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I'm having trouble locating white Semolina. Yellow is no problem, but white appears to be unusual and scarce. There are many sources on the internet, but I can't tell if it is white or yellow.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline kweekalot  
#9 Posted : 14 July 2014 14:58:43(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
It's a very common product in Holland (and Germany), in Dutch it is spelled "(Wit) Tarwe Griesmeel".
And it is cheap, 500 gram is € 1,50, 25 Kilo is € 22,00.
Maybe it's a grain product that you can only buy in western europe ??
Maybe US yellow semolina is also OK ? As long as the grain size is OK ?

EDIT: Now I think about it, some 10 years ago I made a lof of '​​bolies'' for carp fishing, the main ingredient (50%) was "Wit tarwe Griesmeel" (Griess), I remember you could buy fine and coarse Griess in the angling shop.

I think you need the coarse Griess with a size of 1,0 to 1,5 mm for the Faller Griessputz.
Offline petestra  
#10 Posted : 14 July 2014 17:00:47(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi ,What I did to make my large retaining stucco style wall on my layout was to add real fine sand to the paint. I thought it turned out

fairly well. Peter Smile
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline biedmatt  
#11 Posted : 14 July 2014 17:05:41(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Thanks Peter. I have been thinking about alternative materials. I have a few more places to try and get Semolina and then fine white sand was my next alternative.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline kweekalot  
#12 Posted : 14 July 2014 17:21:12(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
For the plaster of the 1950s wooden models of RS Creglinger (Rudolf Spitaler) white sand was used (the type you see in bird cages) but that plaster looks a bit different, and not like original Faller griessputz.
Offline biedmatt  
#13 Posted : 03 May 2015 20:13:36(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
With the Dammtor station winding down, I thought I would take another look at this Faller B-108 kit. I looked high and low for white semolina, but it just doesn't exist on the North American continent. So I went with the yellow I was able to locate. At first I was worried it was too fine. It looked almost like dust, but it was all I could find and it would have to do. Following Marco's instructions, I mixed 50/50 white glue with a water base paint. I chose an artist's acrylic that came in a tube like toothpaste. I chose acrylic for it's permanent qualities once dry. Then I reduced that with water until it was of a nice consistency to brush on the face of the kit. Working a surface at a time I brushed on the mix and sprinkled the semolina onto the wet mix with a sifter. I could only press one face onto a flat surface, so mostly once the semolina was on, I tapped the kit to shake off the loose material and then went on to the next surface. This all went quickly and without any real trouble. After it dried for a few hours I sprayed the white acrylic on with my airbrush. It was clear that this was not going to give the results I wanted, so I started to brush the paint onto the surface. In this picture the surface on the left has be airbrushed. The paint on the surface on the right has been brushed on. The surface on the left has a yellow tint from the yellow semolina.

UserPostedImage

Once I decided a brush was the best way to apply the overcoat, I pressed on and got the whole kit covered. Trying to get it to dry flat once again. I had it glued up nice and flat, but the moisture in the paint has caused it to twist some. I think it will be fine once it has dried.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I am happy with the results. I think the semolina is sealed up well enough that bugs will not be a problem. Once dry, I'll see if there is any yellow tin left and will then decide if it needs another coat of paint.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline kweekalot  
#14 Posted : 03 May 2015 21:38:10(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Matt,
This is P E R F E C T !! Woot
The Faller homeworkers could not have done this job better. ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Marco

EDIT: Are you going to finish this station in the style of the Faller 'Fertigmodelle' ? (models built back in the day by Faller homeworkers). I Think it would be great to do so (with the Faller style 'Blumensmuck' (flowers) as shown on the B-108 box).
Offline biedmatt  
#15 Posted : 03 May 2015 22:07:33(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hello Marco, Thank you for review. i want it to look just like a factory build from the 1950s. Knowing I got the Greisputz right is a big relief. I plan to copy the flower boxes and all, I love Faller kits and their unique style. They will have a huge part to play when I build my big layout.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline cookee_nz  
#16 Posted : 04 May 2015 10:09:25(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Hello Marco, Thank you for review. i want it to look just like a factory build from the 1950s. Knowing I got the Greisputz right is a big relief. I plan to copy the flower boxes and all, I love Faller kits and their unique style. They will have a huge part to play when I build my big layout.

I too am very impressed, this is an outstanding result and a great inspiration to us all
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline steventrain  
#17 Posted : 04 May 2015 10:33:11(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Look great rare item.ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline PJMärklin  
#18 Posted : 04 May 2015 13:30:49(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
With the Dammtor station winding down, I thought I would take another look at this Faller B-108 kit. I looked high and low for white semolina, but it just doesn't exist on the North American continent. So I went with the yellow I was able to locate. At first I was worried it was too fine. It looked almost like dust, but it was all I could find and it would have to do. Following Marco's instructions, I mixed 50/50 white glue with a water base paint. I chose an artist's acrylic that came in a tube like toothpaste. I chose acrylic for it's permanent qualities once dry. Then I reduced that with water until it was of a nice consistency to brush on the face of the kit. Working a surface at a time I brushed on the mix and sprinkled the semolina onto the wet mix with a sifter. I could only press one face onto a flat surface, so mostly once the semolina was on, I tapped the kit to shake off the loose material and then went on to the next surface. This all went quickly and without any real trouble. After it dried for a few hours I sprayed the white acrylic on with my airbrush. It was clear that this was not going to give the results I wanted, so I started to brush the paint onto the surface. In this picture the surface on the left has be airbrushed. The paint on the surface on the right has been brushed on. The surface on the left has a yellow tint from the yellow semolina.

Hi Matt,

Great finish to the surface!

Regards,

PJ
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Mark5  
#19 Posted : 05 May 2015 04:29:46(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Love this thread, Matt. Thanks for giving us the play by play on your building process.
Thoroughly enjoy seeing it and inspired by it. Finding time is the other challenge.

Could I post a picture here with one of my "home built" Faller buildings;
assuming its a home build or kit as it does not have a label at bottom,
but does look like like the same kind of construction.
There is some repair needed in the windows,
but I prize it and keep in a glass cabinet with some of our rare books.

BTW Marco, where is the decal bank?

- Mark

Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
Hi Matt,

Can you scan the B-108 and B-113 decals /curtains sheets for the Decal bank ?

Have you made some progress with the B-108 kit ?

Marco

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline Shamu  
#20 Posted : 05 May 2015 08:37:30(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Mark,

Its a sticky at the top of the "Faller Collectibles" topic.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline biedmatt  
#21 Posted : 05 May 2015 13:48:18(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hi Mark, My desire for knowledge is insatiable. Anything anyone can add to a thread is always welcome by me.
Matt
Era 3
Offline biedmatt  
#22 Posted : 17 May 2015 01:26:17(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Fini!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Matt
Era 3
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline kiwiAlan  
#23 Posted : 17 May 2015 12:12:27(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Fini!

Well, that made up just beautifully. Something to be really proud of. ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline cookee_nz  
#24 Posted : 17 May 2015 12:15:11(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Awesome restoration, every reason to be proud!
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline kweekalot  
#25 Posted : 17 May 2015 14:49:42(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Matt,
Hail to the Griessputz king ! UserPostedImage

Very well done, Best #108 station I have ever seen.
You definitely have a talent for creating 1950s style Faller buildings !! ThumpUp

Marco
Offline petestra  
#26 Posted : 17 May 2015 16:14:04(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Matt, that looks just super! You do have a great talent. Peter ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp Smile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Mark5  
#27 Posted : 18 May 2015 21:19:02(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Inspiring job Matt.
Another Artist's A+ award for the excellence of your work.

Decided to post the pressboard model in another thread,
as it doesn't do justice to your brilliant work. Smile
You can see it here:
www.marklin-users.net/fo...--or-something-else.aspx

Peace,
Mark

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark5