Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nygma  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2015 21:18:23(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have gone through the first few pages of the Digital section, still I believe my question is - partially - new.

I started in Marklin Scale 1 with a 55033 Scale 1 digital starter set back from 2006. It came with 2 locos with sound, MS1, control box and a big 60W supply. Since than I got a Maxi DH500 with a digital decoder (no sound) and an Aristo-Craft Class 66 with an ESU Loksound XL. I have no digital accessories (signals, turnouts, etc.) and I don't intend to invest in them. I work with computers all the time, I prefer my trains to be manual. I like the sound modules though.

My friends who model in Scale 1 all have DCC engines. Mostly DCC decoders made by a local company here in Hungary (works fine with Roco Multimaus, or Bachmann infra controller). Therefore I was thinking about upgrading to a MS2 which should be able to control my Marklin locos and also my guest DCC locos. Also I can decide to get a DCC decoder (e.g. for my DH500) as a cheaper alternative to an ESU.

Is the above assumption correct? Can I can use MS2 for that?

My other question is about the control box (60112). It looks suspiciously similar to the box I got for MS1. Is this the same? Can I use that or do I need to get a 60112 as well? Also, what is the difference between 60112 and 60113. I know one is for scale 1 the other is H0. Is this only a difference in current limit?

Would it be possible to use MS1 with MS2 as a slave?
I hear a lot of reference to CAN injunction with MS2, so I have a feeling that there is a fundamental difference between MS1 and MS2.

Sorry for the long list of questions.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2015 21:45:27(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Welcome to the forum.

The questions are not really new. But never mind - information is spread across many threads.

Difference between 60112 and 60113 is just with the plugs - no difference with respect to current limit.

The MS1 uses the CAN bus while the MS2 uses the CAN bus. This makes them virtually incompatible. You can mix them if using a Central Station 2, otherwise they are not compatible. You cannot use an MS1 as slave of an MS2.
The 60115 used for the MS1 cannot be used with the MS2.

The MS2 supports DCC and should be able to run locos from other manufacturers.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline PMPeter  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2015 22:01:23(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

The MS1 uses the CAN bus while the MS2 uses the CAN bus. This makes them virtually incompatible.

I believe you have some missing words here since they both don't use the CAN bus.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 15 April 2015 22:45:11(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

The MS1 uses the CAN bus while the MS2 uses the CAN bus. This makes them virtually incompatible.

I believe you have some missing words here since they both don't use the CAN bus.
They don't? My MS2 pretends to use the CAN bus.
How can you proof my MS2 wrong? And AFAIK the MS1 also uses the CAN bus.
H0 attached the following image(s):
ms2canbusmaster.jpg
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline PMPeter  
#5 Posted : 15 April 2015 23:40:06(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
OK in that case if they both use the same bus why are they incompatible? I'm obviously not understanding what you are saying. To me a statement such as "The MS1 uses the CAN bus while the MS2 uses the CAN bus" with the word "while" in it, implies they are different.
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 16 April 2015 04:10:51(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
OK, Ho, now get out of this one...LOL

Obviously there is a typo somewhere. But where?????
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 16 April 2015 07:30:44(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
OK in that case if they both use the same bus why are they incompatible?
MS1 uses data packets defined by ESU. MS2 uses data packets defined by Märklin.
IMHO it was a design goal to make the MS2 incompatible with the MS1 and the Central Station 60212.
Zimo also uses the CAN bus. And, of course, the Zimo CAN bus is incompatible with both the ESU and the Märklin CAN buses.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline nygma  
#8 Posted : 03 May 2015 21:36:47(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
Thanks for everyone responding to my question. I bought a MS2 with H0 conrol box at the end. I absolutely love it. Very nice piece of engineering. I also got a few (non-Marklin) smart card to store my locos. Above all I got a 13A booster as well. Nothing should stop serious railroading from now on.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by nygma